I just watched a video that says U2 are agents of Satan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's that same old right wing American fundamentalist...THING!!!
I've seen it all before throughout the 1980's - always blaming "rockmusic" taking stuff out of context and twisting song lyrics of otherwise decent songs. A word of warning to those who sway this way...this particular website is connected to Tim LaHaye and his co-horts. You know, Tim LaHaye, the man behind the "Left Behind" series (talk about twisting scripture!!!) who has sold MILLIONS and MILLIONS of books that have NOTHING TO DO WITH REAL SCRIPTURE but instead is spewing out a false doctrine which plays into the hands of America's Business elite and right wing political elite. It's actually quite scary if you look into it. Much more scary than Bono asking the Lord serious questions or singing an old Beatles song. And by the way I've always interpreted the snippet of "Sympathy For The Devil" during "Bad" as sort of an anti-heroin "Pleased to meet you - won't you guess my name" type of thing.

I don't think anyone should get terribly excited over this. There are tons of little independent churches around America and the world that have lots of weird beliefs...I just read an article about Billy Grahams recent evangelical effort in NY. Some dude from a church out in California was outside protesting with a "Billy Graham is going to hell!" sign. No matter who you are, there is going to be someone out there that thinks you're an agent of Satan :|

Yep.
Joe Schimmel, who made the video made up out of cut up rockumentary clips, is a bit confused. I know, I've researched his work since 2003 and met the guy last year.

He is clouded by legalism and completely obsessed with Satan. He's got it so bad I think he's probably having the problem he says young people are having with pop music himself.
If he could find out about grace, he might relax.

His research is so bad he didn't even know Alice Cooper's been a committed christian for almost 15 years. He looks for bad stuff and always finds it.
And he's so obsessed; he read an article on U2's Achtung Baby period and explained all the ironic bits as evil. He's simply confused in his legalism.

What I don't appreciate is that he dumps this guilt he's carrying on imperssionable young people who happen to come (or are forced to go) to his seminars.

If you are not under manipulative influences you'll probably laugh at this, but if you are already being manipulated you may be lured in further because of the sheer force and intensity of Joe Schimmel's obsession.

The Bible has warnings about this type of guilt ridden legalism. You've got to think for your self and seek God's grace and wisdom (if you believe). But this sucks big time, 'cause it can screw up people.

Last edited:
thebutler said:

His research is so bad he didn't even know Alice Cooper's been a committed christian for almost 15 years. He looks for bad stuff and always finds it.

Yeah, when I saw this site one of the first things I thought was "aren't some of these artists on his shit-list actually practicing Christians?" Elvis, Little Richard, Alice Cooper, certain members of U2 and Creed.

Jehovah/Yahweh's words make it clear who really worships him and follows Christ and who does not (Matthew 7:17-20); and he has promised to let it become even more clear to those who care in this pre-Armageddon time of exposure of false religion and false religionists. (Malachi 3:18; Matthew 24:24-30) The criteria for a true or false worshiper is loyal obedience to God's words, which are truth. (John 17:17)

It was very disturbing, among other things, to see a string of girls with red Devil horns on, walking down the streets of Dublin.

Jesus would take care to NEVER send out any message of support to the Murderer of Mankind/ God's Adversary. Yet that is THE EXAMPLE that has been set, Has any real, responsible attempt been made on the part of U2 to set this straight - to save, for instance, these young girls from the spiritual ruin they are headed for, obviously in their mimicking Bono? Saying "Off with the horns and on with the show" hasn't been enough - at all - to take down the image that has been created and the message it has continued to convey, which has been re-fueled.

(Note: The C.S. Lewis "excuse" for this is scripturally INVALID. God never said "MOCK the Devil and he will flee from you. Instead, his instruction is: "OPPOSE the Devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Over the past couple of years, this cultural leader has made a statement/ set another example that he would have "lunch with the Devil" to get what he wanted from world leaders. With that in mind, do not overlook the Vertigo lyrics wherein Satan's offer to Jesus for the glory of all the Kingdom's of the world if Jesus would do just one "act of worship" to him is highlighted. Whereas those song lines reiterate the Devil's original lie to Adam and Eve that disloyalty-disobedience to God will not "HURT" (mean death) for anyone; all of history since then as well as God's own warnings and fulfilled prophesies themselves prove that such sayings and baited traps of Satan are deadly lies - entirely hurtful and future-killing for those who follow them, giving Satan what he wants. Add to that the Vertigo Tour's acts of blasphemy against Jesus Christ , as mankinds only Ransomer; and Yahweh's name (associating it with symbols of spiritism, false religions, and idolization of institutions of man), and what do you get?

True Christians speak out and warn people against what is wicked and what brings God's disapproval and death. (Ezekiel 33:8,9)

Changes are needed, fast, so that millions DON'T get "HURT". (Armageddon is coming.)

Don't "worry", anyone - I won't be "hanging around" here much to "ruin the party." Who even knows if this will last a day...Satan's world is very hostile to God's truth and messengers. If someone gets to read this though, it might help them.

Last edited:
Saying that someone would "have lunch with the devil" is an expression meaning that they would do almost anything to get something accomplished, no matter how unpleasant. Bono isn't saying that he would enjoy lunch with the devil. In fact, he was using that expression to say that he is willing to meet with people that he doesn't agree with in order to get things done for Africa.

Please don't take things so literally.

Last edited:
here said:

True Christians speak out and warn people against what is wicked and what brings God's disapproval and death. (Ezekiel 33:8,9)

Don't "worry", anyone - I won't be "hanging around" here much to "ruin the party." Who even knows if this will last a day...Satan's world is very hostile to God's truth and messengers. If someone gets to read this though, it might help them.

No, Please, don't leave before describing "True Christian".
After all we need one more interpertation of what it means.

*Reads here's posts*

:crack:...ay, yi, yi...sorry, but where on earth do people come up with this stuff?

Also, I wore devil horns as part of a costume for Halloween a couple of years ago. I guess going by what here has said, this means Satan is trying to corrupt me or something :rolleyes:.

Or not.

Angela

Just for the record her, you keep implying that you expect your posts to dissapear at any time due to a mod power trip or whatever... the only time we "delete" or edit a post is when there's something TRULY offensive of a sexual or crude manner.

Other posts (no matter how coo-coo for cocoa puffs they are) does not get deleted, so I think you're safe.

:wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
*Reads here's posts*

:crack:...ay, yi, yi...sorry, but where on earth do people come up with this stuff?

Also, I wore devil horns as part of a costume for Halloween a couple of years ago. I guess going by what here has said, this means Satan is trying to corrupt me or something :rolleyes:.

Or not.

Angela

Well, if you care....Halloween is the major yearly celebration of spiritists, an ancient one. It is the day of memorial of Satan's "war dead", the ones Yahweh decided were fit for destruction by the Great Flood. It is celebrated at approximately the time of year as that Flood. As has been the practice with other pagan holidays, the Catholic Church has adopted/utilized/covered this one as well - calling the hybrid holiday "All Souls Day."

The spiritistic practices, however, continue strongly - in many lands, to varying degrees.

In some places, parents light-heartedly dress their children as Devils. Many adults revel in their own temporary indulgence with spiritism (even though it is God-condemned) as they themselves dress up like witches, zombies, etc. (Meanwhile, those who ARE witches, warlocs, Wiccan, and Satanists hold their ceremonies, sacrifices, and parties in earnest. Some spiritists hold that Halloween is the only day on which the Devil himself can be invoked... [The Bible, however, warns that he actually roams the earth, along with his demons looking for "weak" ones to spiritually devour; in the short time left before Armageddon - 1 Peter 5:8; Revelation 12:9,12.]

Mexicans call it the Day of the Dead. Decor includes skulls. Families set out food for dead loved ones, figuring (as other cultures also do that at this time) that their spirits may come back to visit.

The truth, however, is that humans do NOT have immortal souls that simply live on after death. For most people, all hope for future life depends on Yahweh resurrecting them at a future time, to this earth, after Armageddon. (A few still go to heaven immediately after dying to serve as kings and priests there with Jesus, to help rule over the earth - Revelation 5:9,10.) So, since "the dead are conscious of nothing at all" (Ecclesiastes 9:5), and since they cannot respond to the invitations of those living; what can happen, and what does happen, is that instead of being contacted by their dead loved ones, people are contacted by demons who are ready and willing to take advantage of such an opportunity - sometimes even craftily and cruelly disguising themselves as those dead loved ones. Much spiritual, mental, and even physical harm can come from this.

That is why God has always issued strong warnings - has forbidden - that humans try to "contact" the dead. (See Deuteronomy 18:9-12; Galatians 5:20,21)

Druids in Ireland still have their bon [originally bone] fires. It was around these parts, too, that candles made of human fat were burned inside of vegetables such as pumpkins at this time, in hopes of scaring away any hostile spirits of the dead - really, demons. Bonfires and lit jack-o-lanterns are commonly included in people's Halloween celebrations today.

Halloween was also a night for people to walk around inebriated - threatening harm to neighbors if they did not give them hospitality: "Trick or treat."

Another tradition is for people to wear costumes on this night, the thought being that it might help protect them from demons, since their personal identity is somewhat concealed.

Those who are concerned about their relationship with their heavenly Father - who hold that as the most precious thing - share Jehovah/Yahweh's feelings: They "hate what is bad", like he does. (Psalm 97:10) They obey his commands to repudiate spiritism, in all its forms. They also try to warn their "neighbors", their fellow human beings, against being misled by Satan to behave in oppostion to Jehovah/Yahweh; since Armageddon is quickly coming, and all those not obeying God, by justice, will be killed by his heavenly (only) army then. Satan is well aware of that. As before the Great Flood - when the earth was likewise in a state of violence and ruination due to demon activity and unjust compliance to that by man - Satan doesn't care how many human lives are permanently lost at the coming time of destruction; just so long as he can get as many of them as possible to join him in rebellion against the Creator. That way he can mock and hurt the heavenly Father all the more over the disloyalty of those he loved and watched his most precious Son suffer for to try to save. (Proverbs 27:11; John 3:16, plus read the accounts of how Jesus was brutally and viciously abused, humiliated, and finally murdered by those with false spiritual pride like the Devil's.)

Hopefully, this will help change your feelings about wanting to show any support to Satan, the Killer of Mankind and Mocker of God. Some people wear football jerseys of their favorite team or even particular player's # on it to show their liking and support. Even though "horns" are a man-made symbol, since they are popularly understood to be symbolic of Satan, wearing them shows support of him - just like the jerseys...

Some still think its all just a joke - just like the people that mocked Noah before the Flood...

Watch the news...LOOK at the violence, pain, sorrow, distress, starvation, sickness, death, and injustice... The root cause of all of this...right down to watching a friend's body being lowered into a grave...is the trouble Satan the Manslayer and Slanderer of God has started and spread. Do you want to put those horns back on for fun? (You don't have to answer.)

Last edited:
Rachel D. said:
Saying that someone would "have lunch with the devil" is an expression meaning that they would do almost anything to get something accomplished, no matter how unpleasant. Bono isn't saying that he would enjoy lunch with the devil. In fact, he was using that expression to say that he is willing to meet with people that he doesn't agree with in order to get things done for Africa.

Please don't take things so literally.

Satan knew that Jesus was also intensely interested in bringing an end to human suffering - which is why he offered Jesus "all the kingdoms of the world and all their glory", which were and still are under the control and manipulation of Satan - if Jesus would just do one act of worship to Satan, just willfully violate-disobey one of God's commands....(Proverbs 8:30,31; Matthew 4:8,9)

Jesus saw the trap and the lie, and REFUSED to give Satan what he wanted at all. (Matthew 4:10)

Yahweh has had this account preserved as a warning example for our day, so that others would NOT give in to any similar trap - and end up serving the interests of Satan, bringing death upon themselves and any others that would follow along.

Publically demoting the global, spirit led congregation of God's firstborn Son, the Ransomer of mankind, as just one of the "three great Abrahamic religions"* - just an optional choice for people; and also desecrating God's personal name to masses of people by singing it while displaying large lit-up signs of spiritistic, pagan, and false religious symbols are large-scale, death-producing acts of serving the Devil.

Satan is the Liar.

Serving-worshiping him and disregarding God and his commandments and spirit will not bring peace. It will not save. It will only end up bringing permanent death-by-God, possibly for very many, unless it is stopped and reparations are attempted.

*(TRUE Christianity, however, is not rightly symbolized by the spiritistic-pagan cross symbol, as in the "COEXIST" grafitti Bono points to on his headband while demoting Jesus in this way.)

Last edited:
Here's posts demonstrate all too clearly the effect of religious brainwashing on a fragile mind.

What a typical (cliche) response of those who do not like the messages of God's words. Go ahead: Show the superior knowledge and reasoning you claim for yourself by accurately, fairly, honestly, and clearly refuting all that was said, point by point.

If you cannot, examine your reaction as possibly being merely a product of yes, brainwashed, baseless prejudice.

That's an amazing thing about the power of God's words - they ARE "able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

It's best to humble oneself, listen to God, learn his ways, and make changes as needed instead of fighting him.

Last edited:
here said:
Hopefully, this will help change your feelings about wanting to show any support to Satan, the Killer of Mankind and Mocker of God.

I don't support Satan. I don't even believe he exists. And believe it or not, I still believe in a higher being of some kind. I still believe in a god, even after wearing devil horns and participating in holidays that celebrate the dead. And some other people who disagree with you in this thread are religious themselves as well. Fascinating, that, no?

Originally posted by here
Watch the news...LOOK at the violence, pain, sorrow, distress, starvation, sickness, death, and injustice... The root cause of all of this...right down to watching a friend's body being lowered into a grave...is the trouble Satan the Manslayer and Slanderer of God has started and spread. Do you want to put those horns back on for fun? (You don't have to answer.)

So...our wearing horns is in part to blame for the crap that happens in this world? It couldn't just possibly be that some humans are, pardon me, severely fucked up in the head and get some sort of sick pleasure out of hurting their fellow man?

Angela

financeguy said:
Here's posts demonstrate all too clearly the effect of religious brainwashing on a fragile mind.

Come on, now, that's not fair. You may not agree with his views, but that doesn't mean he's brainwashed.

And I should know - someone told me I was brainwashed a couple of days ago.

:wink:

At the Berlin show, after the first London bombings, Bono commented, to the masses, that this is what happens when people let IDEAS become more important than people - with "ideas" left to refer to religious ideas in general.

The truth is that this is what happens when people IGNORE and DISREGARD the life-saving IDEAS - principles and commands - that ARE more important than people because they are from the One True God - Yahweh/Jehovah the Creator, and are part of who he is.
If all humans held these values to be as rightfully high as they are meant to be - as Divine mandates for living, there would be no war (war is no longer authorized by God like the limited few that long ago were for his own specific and righteous purposes) or war OF terrorism , crime, starving or homeless people, drug abuse, domestic abuse, families broken from marital unfaithfulness, and other injustices.
(Christendom - false "Christianity" which takes on Christ's name, but which violates his commands as they see fit to please men and keep $$$, power and political and other prestige, etc. - does the same, IGNORES and DISREGARDS vital IDEAS-directives from God, as do other false religions.)

THE SOLUTION , therefore, is NOT to do as what has seemed to be the aim of this Vertigo Tour so far - TO MAKE ALL RELIGIONS SEEM EQUAL AND EQUALLY AT FAULT for causing trouble in the world. U2 has even dared take the personal, Most Holy Name of THE God, Yahweh/Jehovah, the Creator and Sovereign of the Universe, whose very purposes and nature are represented by his unique name from the Tetragrammaton, and tried to do the same with it - make it seem party and parcel with other gods and common, faulty, false religions - by singing a song to and about Yahweh [naturalized as Jehovah in English] while displaying pagan-spiritistic-origined symbols of those gods and anti-scriptural/apostate religions on a large, lit up screen.

Why would anyone think that they could capture and subjugate the Truth and will of the Almighty (from whose power all the flaring stars of the Universe have been formed and are kept in order) to an electrical screen aback a stage and a song, which, put together, create a false, misleading image of him?

Any men who think they are so smart in doing so are far more than foolish; no matter how many $$$ or how much technological or political power they think they have - it amounts to nothing compared to the power and purposes of Yahweh.

Maybe God "will wait 'til the end of the world" (the destruction of Babylon the Great - all parts of Satan's world empire of false religion, and then Armageddon) to destroy this element, or maybe he will stop it before - since this is the largest-scale spiritual-musical ever; since it desecrates his name and the righteousness of his true purposes to so many in this time of the end.

As I wrote elsewhere, watching Bono perform these things has felt like [what I figure it would have felt like] watching Jim Jones talk 70-80 thousand people or more at a time into drinking their poison Kool-Aid in a mass suicide - only this is worse, because what is being promoted, to millions altogether, is spiritual suicide with permanent death.

Giving people spiritual VERTIGO, so to say - getting their heads to spin so that they are spiritually disoriented and nauseous - LEAVES THEM VULNERABLE TO BE LED BY MEN as "saviors" of this world - who say they will bring relief, if people do as THEY, not God, says; if they put put their hope and trust in THEM, not God/Yahweh/Jehovah. Who are such men agents of? Anyone acting in this way had better stop (their spiritual mass-murdering) immediately, and beg God to forgive them and help them make what amends they can, quickly.

How can anyone in this world avoid fatal spiritual vertigo as Satan and his forces make their intense and incidious last-ditch efforts, especially using what is most attractive to people, to dizzy them from finding and following "the way out" of Satan's sytem, God's Way to life in his coming righteous new world system here?

FOCUS ON YAHWEH/JEHOVAH'S WORDS
AND WORSHIP TOGETHER PURELY WITH THE GLOBAL BROTHERHOOD - WHO, AS ONE, DO THE SAME. We ARE the foundation of earth's new world society. Yahweh says so.

Satan's messed-up, corrupt system is due to pass away any time now, along with anyone choosing to support it rather than showing loyal obedience to God's heaven-based Kingdom with earth's Highest King, appointed by God, who is the promised seed of Abraham and David, Jesus Christ.

That will clear the way for Yahweh/Jehovah's paradise here - for the real, lasting, total, promised peace here at last.

Last edited:
So, 'here', people have been prophesying Armageddon for centuries. What makes you think YOU have a special insight, hmmmmm?

Maybe she's the Comte de Saint-Germain or Ahasuerus, the "Wandering Jew."

Or not.

Melon

here said:
At the Berlin show, after the first London bombings, Bono commented, to the masses, that this is what happens when people let IDEAS become more important than people - with "ideas" left to refer to religious ideas in general.

The truth is that this is what happens when people IGNORE and DISREGARD the life-saving IDEAS - principles and commands - that ARE more important than people because they are from the One True God - Yahweh/Jehovah the Creator, and are part of who he is.
If all humans held these values to be as rightfully high as they are meant to be - as Divine mandates for living, there would be no war (war is no longer authorized by God like the limited few that long ago were for his own specific and righteous purposes) or war OF terrorism , crime, starving or homeless people, drug abuse, domestic abuse, families broken from marital unfaithfulness, and other injustices.
(Christendom - false "Christianity" which takes on Christ's name, but which violates his commands as they see fit to please men and keep $$$, power and political and other prestige, etc. - does the same, IGNORES and DISREGARDS vital IDEAS-directives from God, as do other false religions.)

THE SOLUTION , therefore, is NOT to do as what has seemed to be the aim of this Vertigo Tour so far - TO MAKE ALL RELIGIONS SEEM EQUAL AND EQUALLY AT FAULT for causing trouble in the world. U2 has even dared take the personal, Most Holy Name of THE God, Yahweh/Jehovah, the Creator and Sovereign of the Universe, whose very purposes and nature are represented by his unique name from the Tetragrammaton, and tried to do the same with it - make it seem party and parcel with other gods and common, faulty, false religions - by singing a song to and about Yahweh [naturalized as Jehovah in English] while displaying pagan-spiritistic-origined symbols of those gods and anti-scriptural/apostate religions on a large, lit up screen.

Why would anyone think that they could capture and subjugate the Truth and will of the Almighty (from whose power all the flaring stars of the Universe have been formed and are kept in order) to an electrical screen aback a stage and a song, which, put together, create a false, misleading image of him?

Any men who think they are so smart in doing so are far more than foolish; no matter how many $$$ or how much technological or political power they think they have - it amounts to nothing compared to the power and purposes of Yahweh.

Maybe God "will wait 'til the end of the world" (the destruction of Babylon the Great - all parts of Satan's world empire of false religion, and then Armageddon) to destroy this element, or maybe he will stop it before - since this is the largest-scale spiritual-musical crime ever; since it desecrates his name and the righteousness of his true purposes to so many in this time of the end.

As I wrote elsewhere, watching Bono perform these things has felt like [what I figure it would have felt like] watching Jim Jones talk 70-80 thousand people or more at a time into drinking their poison Kool-Aid in a mass suicide - only this is worse, because what is being promoted, to millions altogether, is spiritual suicide with permanent death.

Giving people spiritual VERTIGO, so to say - getting their heads to spin so that they are spiritually disoriented and nauseous - LEAVES THEM VULNERABLE TO BE LED BY MEN as "saviors" of this world - who say they will bring relief, if people do as THEY, not God, says; if they put put their hope and trust in THEM, not God/Yahweh/Jehovah. Who are such men agents of? Anyone acting in this way had better stop (their spiritual mass-murdering) immediately, and beg God to forgive them and help them make what amends they can, quickly.

How can anyone in this world avoid fatal spiritual vertigo as Satan and his forces make their intense and incidious last-ditch efforts, especially using what is most attractive to people, to dizzy them from finding and following "the way out" of Satan's sytem, God's Way to life in his coming righteous new world system here?

FOCUS ON YAHWEH/JEHOVAH'S WORDS
AND WORSHIP TOGETHER PURELY WITH THE GLOBAL BROTHERHOOD - WHO, AS ONE, DO THE SAME. We ARE the foundation of earth's new world society. Yahweh says so.

Satan's messed-up, corrupt system is due to pass away any time now, along with anyone choosing to support it rather than showing loyal obedience to God's heaven-based Kingdom with earth's Highest King, appointed by God, who is the promised seed of Abraham and David, Jesus Christ.

That will clear the way for Yahweh/Jehovah's paradise here - for the real, lasting, total, promised peace here at last.

(I had left out a very important word.)

You just need to cool down a little. You're not going to win any converts to Christianity by taking such an approach. You seem like on of those people who are too uptight and find only evil in everything and you're only going to bring misery to yourself because soon you won't be able to enjoy anything. God doesn't want us to be miserable. He wants us to enjoy the beauty that He has put on the earth, not to spend all our time looking for Satan. Sure, there is evil in the world, but we don't have to preoccupy ourselves with it.

Seriously, here. At least think about it.

BonosSaint said:
I'M SURE THEY CAN FIND SOMETHING DEVILISH IN IT.

NOT SPEAKING FOR BONO'S INTENT, BUT I BELIEVE WHEN PETER WAS CRUCIFIED, HE ASKED TO BE CRUCIFIED UPSIDE DOWN BECAUSE HE WAS NOT WORTHY OF BEING CRUCIFIED THE SAME WAY CHRIST WAS.

Not exactly: Peter said it was an honour to die like Christ, so the soldier decided to crucify him with feet on top.

The symbol of the cross turne upside down is usually the symbol of the antiChrist

I haven't been to a Vertigo show yet. Can anyone tell me what visuals (including symbols) are shown during Yahweh?

here,
If you make your way back to this thread, please read the following story (referenced in another thread). Like others have pointed out, some people think Billy Graham is an agent of Satan.
What is your opinion of him? I don't hold Bono high on a pedastal, I try to reserve my worship for Jesus only. But I do think you're painting a 1 sided story of Bono's faith. In the interview below, he points only to the saving grace of Jesus's atonement for our sins. No other religion, religious figure, or doctrine is given any credence. So there.

Bono gives an explicit confession of being saved by Grace, not Karma

World Magazine, August 01, 2005

Gene Edward Veith

Is Bono, the lead singer and songwriter for the rock group U2, a Christian? He says he is and writes about Christianity in his lyrics. Yet many people question whether Bono is "really" a Christian, due to his notoriously bad language, liberal politics, and rock star antics (though he has been faithfully married for 23 years). But in a new book of interviews, Bono in Conversation by Michka Assayas, Bono, though using some salty language, makes an explicit confession of faith.

The interviewer, Mr. Assayas, begins by asking Bono, Doesn't he think "appalling things" happen when people become religious? Bono counters, "It's a mind-blowing concept that the God who created the Universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma."

The interviewer asks, What's that? "At the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics -- in physical laws -- every action is met by an equal or an opposite one," explains Bono. "And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that...Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff."

The interviewer asks, Like what? "That's between me and God. But I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge," says Bono. "It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity."

Then the interviewer marvels, "The Son of God who takes away the sins of the world. I wish I could believe in that."

"The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death," replies Bono. "It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of Heaven."

The interviewer marvels some more: "That's a great idea, no denying it. Such great hope is wonderful, even though it's close to lunacy, in my view. Christ has His rank among the world's great thinkers. But Son of God, isn't that farfetched?"

Bono comes back, "Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: He was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: 'I'm the Messiah.' I'm saying: 'I am God incarnate'...So what you're left with is either Christ was who He said He was -- the Messiah -- or a complete nutcase...The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that's farfetched."

What is most interesting in this exchange is the reaction of the interviewer, to whom Bono is, in effect, witnessing. This hip rock journalist starts by scorning what he thinks is Christianity. But it is as if he had never heard of grace, the atonement, the deity of Christ, the gospel. And he probably hadn't. But when he hears what Christianity is actually all about, he is amazed.

© World Magazine, 2005

Back
Top Bottom