I "heart" How to dismantle an atomic bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album plays like a greatest hits
3 of the four singles were the three worst songs on the album
The production sucks
Bono made a few lyrical blunders

All that aside it's a great album that's incredibly underrated especially B's lyrics; I mean sure there's a few lines that suck but I wish people would stop quoting the exact same lines over and over again as proof it sucks. If we're gonna do that for Bomb how about I sum up Pop with lyrics from Discotheque and Miami, we're allowed ignore the lyrics on the rest of the songs if those two suck right?

The latter is like a drop in the sea compared to the "Zoochtung worship".

The former happens very rarely, and that album probably got more appreciation threads than the rest of the U2 catalogue combined.

Maybe it's because a lot more people became U2 fanatics and got into U2 because of Achtung Baby and possibly Pop than HTDAAB, and that's why they are defended so steadfastly and worshipped so much. I got into U2 with TUF and I will always to defend it to the hilt.
Personally I don't mind HTDAAB I quite like it, I just don't have a huge amount of love for it. However I can think of about 5 friends of mine who have all gone off u2 because of HTDAAB, they were big fans previously. I'm not saying they're right, in fact I disagree with them, but I just think that a lot of U2 fans were non-plussed with the album, it's not something unique to Interference.

Actually this thread isn't as negative as I thought it would be. I just hope people can appreciate that U2 make (in the harshest of terms) about 5 great songs per album. I wish most bands could do that. I don't want people to be so spoiled that they can't appreciate what they gave us. They have an awesome batting average for a great band.

They have a law in economics called "Marginal Utility" and I think it applies to music as well. I suppose that if a band makes lots of good to great records then each record loses some value for people because there are so many to choose from.

I originally liked the album about second to Achtung when I first listened to it then I started to dislike it over time and now that I haven't listened to it for awhile I found major interest in the album again. I bet my favorite U2 album list will change over time.

I particularly love the lyrics Bono writes about his wife in AMAAW and COBL. His relationship has this dynamic that reminds me of Paul and Linda McCartney and it's really sweet. :hug: The band also tried to make happy songs which is particularly difficult to make without sugariness causing music cavities.:D

Maybe it's because a lot more people became U2 fanatics and got into U2 because of Achtung Baby and possibly Pop than HTDAAB, and that's why they are defended so steadfastly and worshipped so much. I got into U2 with TUF and I will always to defend it to the hilt.
Personally I don't mind HTDAAB I quite like it, I just don't have a huge amount of love for it. However I can think of about 5 friends of mine who have all gone off u2 because of HTDAAB, they were big fans previously. I'm not saying they're right, in fact I disagree with them, but I just think that a lot of U2 fans were non-plussed with the album, it's not something unique to Interference.

True, lots of people that became fans in the 90's. Maybe that's true of your 5 friends as well ?

Did I mention that I like Hutdubz? I didn't? Well I do like it. City Of Blinding Lights, Crumbs and Fast Cars are the highlights IMO. :)

Did I mention that I like Hutdubz? I didn't? Well I do like it. City Of Blinding Lights, Crumbs and Fast Cars are the highlights IMO. :)

OMG, you've mentioned countless times. :rolleyes:

More importanlty, you still feel the urge to insult people who feel that HTDAAB is one of their favourite U2 albums.

Something doesn't add up....

OMG, you've mentioned countless times. :rolleyes:

So now I cannot say I like it either? I simply cannot win in your eyes, can I??? :sad:

More importanlty, you still feel the urge to insult people who feel that HTDAAB is one of their favourite U2 albums.

Something doesn't add up....

I like the album. I don't love the album. It's pretty good in parts but still my least favorite or second least favorite U2 album along with ATYCLB. Does that add up?

As for my "insulting people", it was a joke as illustrated by the laugh smiley. But if RedRocksU2 got offended, I apologize. To each their own.

So, this may be because I just started getting into U2, but HTDAAB and ATYCLB are two of my favorite albums. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy their older stuff as well. I guess i just don't get why people are so put off by their more recent stuff. I think songs like Yahweh and Crumbs have parts of them that I feel get right to the heart of U2. Perhaps I'm wrong though. Like I said...new fan. :reject:

I love Bomb, even though it's towards the bottom of my 'best U2 albums list'.

It's not U2's second worst album. It's their tenth best!

However I can think of about 5 friends of mine who have all gone off u2 because of HTDAAB, they were big fans previously.

I'm in the opposite group. It is HTDAAB that converted me to more than just a casual fan of their music. It doesn't mean that I think it is better than all of their previous albums, but it deserves the credit for making me interested in the first place. I thank it for that :)

imo HTDAAB is a pretty good album, to me COBL is the albums equivalent to ATYCLBs Beautiful Day, I like Vertigo, Crumbs, SYCMIOYO, Miracle Drug, OOTS and even ABOY. :up:

I like Bomb, and I like everything before that too. I think I'm one of the only u2 fans on here that likes everything and can appreciate a bit of variety :lol:

And a man and a woman is terribly underrated in my opinion, that song makes the album.

I like Bomb, and I like everything before that too. I think I'm one of the only u2 fans on here that likes everything and can appreciate a bit of variety :lol:

And a man and a woman is terribly underrated in my opinion, that song makes the album.

I agree with this all the way. :wave:

Join the ever expanding 'we actually like u2's music' club, have a :cocktail: :up:

Back
Top Bottom