I "heart" How to dismantle an atomic bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The songs are great, while the production is not. Could have used a few more tracks, better sequencing, things like that. Would have gone a long way towards making the album feel more like an album and less like another U2 product.

The only thing I didn't like was the "mixed loud" part of the CD. Of course this is an ongoing fight that the pro-dynamic types are having a hard time convincing people.

This album for me is like an emotional catharsis. You just feel purified by the end. People are not in that mood now so they're hoping for Achtung Baby part II which I won't mind but what I like about the band is no matter what mood you're in you can find something interesting to like in their huge catalogue.

It has some great moments, but it doesn't stand the test of time at all. Parts of it sound terribly generic. Anyway, I don't believe it's as bad as some people say it is, but it certainly didn't improve on U2's 2000 image.

The songs are great, while the production is not. Could have used a few more tracks, better sequencing, things like that. Would have gone a long way towards making the album feel more like an album and less like another U2 product.

I disagree with the lack of production comment.
I consider this one of the top 3 albums of the band.
IMO.

It has some great moments, but it doesn't stand the test of time at all. Parts of it sound terribly generic. Anyway, I don't believe it's as bad as some people say it is, but it certainly didn't improve on U2's 2000 image.

I think I agree with this opinion the most! :up:

I consider this one of the top 3 albums of the band.
IMO.

Oh dear.

I hope the other 2 albums are good ones at least.

:laugh:

"I "heart" How to dismantle an atomic bomb"

You take that back! Don't provoke our favorite boys from Dublin!

...but seriously, the album is a'ight. There are some good tunes here and there ("Vertigo," "City of Blinding Lights," "Sometimes...," "Crumbs From Your Table," "One Step Closer"), but for an album that DOESN'T, on average, have the songs to back a band as big as U2 up, and for the record to NOT be greater than the sum of its parts... well, it's understandable why some of us are left with a bad taste in our mouths. By no means am I an '00-hater - I'm actually split on this decade (love ATYCLB, along with "Electrical Storm" and "The Saints Are Coming" - not so keen on HTDAAB, along with "THTBA" and "Window in the Skies").

I do have a very strong feeling about their next record, though. HTDAAB was by no means the monstrosity some fans would have you believe and it CERTAINLY does not have me worried about their future outputs. I am genuinely excited about the next album and believe the band still has it in them to make something truly GREAT. I've never felt any of the group's offerings were complete and utter failures... there's something to enjoy in every one, from high-caliber, inventive, excitingly dark adventures (Achtung Baby) to a safe, familiar, joyful retread (HTDAAB).

Honestly, what bugs me more than anything else about the record is that I KNOW Bono can do better with his lyrics ("Fast Cars") and that the band can produce quality material without pandering to the masses ("One Step Closer" and various original cuts of the album).

The only thing I didn't like was the "mixed loud" part of the CD. Of course this is an ongoing fight that the pro-dynamic types are having a hard time convincing people.

This album for me is like an emotional catharsis. You just feel purified by the end. People are not in that mood now so they're hoping for Achtung Baby part II which I won't mind but what I like about the band is no matter what mood you're in you can find something interesting to like in their huge catalogue.

:up: That's why U2 will always be my #1, because there's a song for every moment, every feeling, as cringy that may sound.

Ridiculously underrated and over-attacked here. A good album, production issues aside.

I'd go along with that.
I actually really like Vertigo and Sometimes you can't....and City Of Blinding Lights is brilliant, but as a whole it just doesn't do it for me. It's a decent album but it just doesn't have that extra bit of magic. I think Fast Cars is a song which was going in the right direction, but the fact that the band didn't feel confident enough in it to put it on every version of the cd shows that they were being a little too over cautious.
Other than Miracle Drug I think the songs were all good, they just lacked that something which makes U2 songs stand out from the crowd.

You see what's happening AGAIN! People just cannot simply appreciate that album without making negative remarks.

Bad idea to start a thread like this.

Start a Pop or AB thread and you will have nothing but positive response, but heaven beware, not for one of their last two albums.

I think Sometimes and COBL are by far the two most inspired tracks on the album, for me the rest of collection pales a little alongside them. Many of the songs are reaching for greatness but they end up falling short, some of the metaphors don't seem as striking and I just think it lacks conviction.

I find it hard to really blame the band though, I mean they're human after all. For me, since about 1984 their output and been consistently brilliant, even their percieved low points (R&H and Pop) contain some absolute gems and even now I still find fresh things whenever I listen to them.

With that in mind I suppose I was due an album I found less impressive.

You see what's happening AGAIN! People just cannot simply appreciate that album without making negative remarks.

Start a Pop or AB thread and you will have nothing but positive response, but heaven beware, not for one of their last two albums.

I've got plenty of negative things to say about AB and Pop.

Take a look at this thread. All the replies have been relatively positive, or with somewhat constructive criticism. No outward bashing.

You seem more keen on complaining about this than praising the album itself.

Take a look at this thread. All the replies have been relatively positive, or with somewhat constructive criticism. No outward bashing.

You seem more keen on complaining about this than praising the album itself.

I agree, I haven't sensed any bashing on this thread.
With regard to Pop and Achtung Baby, I have seen plenty of people bashing them here.

:wave:
welcome!
Exactly, Axver rarely has anything to positive to say about my favourite album of all time, and neither do quite a few others. I just pray for the day when they will be converted and let them get on with it:wink:

Exactly, Axver rarely has anything to positive to say about my favourite album of all time, and neither do quite a few others. I just pray for the day when they will be converted and let them get on with it:wink:

To put your mind at ease just a little, Acrobat is in my top ten U2 songs and The Fly and Love Is Blindness both make the top twenty. Otherwise, though, Achtung has few bright spots. :tongue:

With regard to Pop and Achtung Baby, I have seen plenty of people bashing them here.

The latter is like a drop in the sea compared to the "Zoochtung worship".

The former happens very rarely, and that album probably got more appreciation threads than the rest of the U2 catalogue combined.

"I "heart" How to dismantle an atomic bomb"

You take that back! Don't provoke our favorite boys from Dublin!

...but seriously, the album is a'ight. There are some good tunes here and there ("Vertigo," "City of Blinding Lights," "Sometimes...," "Crumbs From Your Table," "One Step Closer"), but for an album that DOESN'T, on average, have the songs to back a band as big as U2 up, and for the record to NOT be greater than the sum of its parts... well, it's understandable why some of us are left with a bad taste in our mouths. By no means am I an '00-hater - I'm actually split on this decade (love ATYCLB, along with "Electrical Storm" and "The Saints Are Coming" - not so keen on HTDAAB, along with "THTBA" and "Window in the Skies").

I do have a very strong feeling about their next record, though. HTDAAB was by no means the monstrosity some fans would have you believe and it CERTAINLY does not have me worried about their future outputs. I am genuinely excited about the next album and believe the band still has it in them to make something truly GREAT. I've never felt any of the group's offerings were complete and utter failures... there's something to enjoy in every one, from high-caliber, inventive, excitingly dark adventures (Achtung Baby) to a safe, familiar, joyful retread (HTDAAB).

Honestly, what bugs me more than anything else about the record is that I KNOW Bono can do better with his lyrics ("Fast Cars") and that the band can produce quality material without pandering to the masses ("One Step Closer" and various original cuts of the album).

wow. i don't think my feelings on this decade could be any more similar to yours. :)

Back
Top Bottom