HTDAAB: Better than JT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me HTDAAB is their best album. It's subjective. And for me HTDAAB works much better than AB and JT - even though I love them both. But it's personal, and has not anything to do what reviewers say or how many copies are sold. It's just that way for me.
It would have been much more interesting to hear what a new fan would say - not anyone that only waits for a new AB or a new JT or a new War or whatever. U2 are much more skilled musicians now, and it that sense maybe this one really is better. If it will be a classic - well that depends on time.

Last edited:
Running To Stand Still is one of my favorite songs off that album, along with one of my favorite songs of all time. But 'classic'? I guess we just need to define classic. When I think 'classic' I think a tune most casual listeners can easily recognize. 'She Loves You' by the Beatles, 'We Will Rock You' by Queen, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' by Nirvana. These bands have all made great songs, but we have to decide on what the term 'classic' means. 'Excellent' and 'classic' are two very different things. I think 'classic' denotes something that crosses over into the mainstream and time stamps an era, forcing itself into the public consciousness forever. 'Until the End of the World' is an excellent tune, but off AB, 'One' is the classic.

Yeah?

Last edited:
Miggy, point taken. and a valid one. Among fans, classics are wide-ranging and subjective, obviously. The true test is the cross-culture, if you will, the mainstream where everyone knows it and finds a song (or album, JT?) important or trademark-like.

riteshbhatt1 said:
Yup, there isn't song as weak as Elvis Presley and America on this album.

EP&A is a great, one-take song! I love it.

HTDAAB, end-to-end, is better than JT. It's definitely better than AB.

In 10 years, I'll have an opinion on if it's a classic (JT and AB are definitely classics). The potential is there. But overall, I currently like it better than JT.

Miggy D said:
Running To Stand Still is one of my favorite songs off that album, along with one of my favorite songs of all time. But 'classic'? I guess we just need to define classic. When I think 'classic' I think a tune most casual listeners can easily recognize. 'She Loves You' by the Beatles, 'We Will Rock You' by Queen, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' by Nirvana. These bands have all made great songs, but we have to decide on what the term 'classic' means. 'Excellent' and 'classic' are two very different things. I think 'classic' denotes something that crosses over into the mainstream and time stamps an era, forcing itself into the public consciousness forever. 'Until the End of the World' is an excellent tune, but off AB, 'One' is the classic.

Yeah?

Using your argument about the definition of "Classic" and "U2", I think while One achieved "Classic" status and crossed over big time with the mainstream, WOWY is U2's signature song. The argument would probably come about what song came after in U2's classic status.

Maybe it would go like this:

1. WOWY
2. One
3. Pride
4. ISHFWILF
5. Mysterious Ways
6. SBS
7. NYD
8. BD

i downloaded the album when it was first downloadable a few weeks back (dont worry, i bought the collectors edition yesterday too.)

and after almost 3 weeks of listening to htdaab, i listened to pop, joshua tree and achtung baby (my previous top 3 in that order) and i have to indeed say that i do enjoy how to dismantle an atomic bomb more.

is it their best album? i dont know. but it's my favorite album.

doctorwho said:
Well... as a person who likes, but doesn't love JT, yes, HTDAAB easily surpasses that album.

Does it surpass AB? As of this moment, no. AB does have one horrid song on it, but the others are so brilliant that "mistake" is forgiven. In contrast, there are no horrid songs on HTDAAB. But overall, I feel AB still is superior. Opinions change though...

What is the horrid song??

Oh and by the way, I was just thinking today that, although it will take some time to tell, HTDAAB certainly has the potential to surpass both JT and AB (my current favourite). The telling will really be with I consider the "meaty" tracks of the album. Every LP has the few good songs, a catchy single or two but its the quality of the latter half of the album that really makes it or breaks it for me. We'll see!!

I'm really enjoying HTDAAB right now. It will have to stand the test of time for me if its going to be considered in the top 3 U2 albums. I listened to ATYCLB a few months ago, and while I think its great it didn't touch me like AB, UF, Pop, and JT do for me. What I'm trying to say is its a bit early to judge.

Hola amigos:wave:

I think I posted this before:

Here are the U2 masterpieces, IMO :yes:

1- Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree ( nor particular order )
3- Zooropa and Pop ( nor particular order )
5- Unforgettable Fire, War and Boy ( nor particular )

For me, it's kind of a draw. :wink:
Achtung Baby will always be my favorite album of all time.
Now, HTDAAB has challenged JT for having an incredible first half. And the number of classics is exactly the same.
JT:
Streets
WOWY
Running To Stand Still
Exit
Bullet the Blue Sky(live)
One Tree Hill(live)

HTDAAB:
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
Crumbs From Your Table
Original of the Species

I don't know why I am even writing this cause I pretty much agree with everything Miggy D said.

Classic and Favorite are two different things. Quality has nothing to do with it. I think most folks on this board would say that any number of U2 songs that are not deemed classics are better songs than say We Will Rock You, but We Will Rock You is a classic not because it is better than other songs. It is a classic because the collective consciousness says it is. The decision of the collective consciousness to name something classic is determined by album sales, how history describes (or ignores) the album years from now, etc. In order to be a classic, an album not only has to be good and withstand the test of time, it needs to have an impact on the time and define the time. It needs to be something that you would put in a time capsule of the time.

I personally think that from start to finish AB is a better album and a more audacious idea than the JT but it is undeniable that JT is THE classic and defining record of U2's career. As many have said, HTDAAB may surpass JT but only time will tell. My prediction is that it won't, simply because of the stage in their career that it was released. There are very few artists who release their "most classic album late in their careers. For many it's because they have only enough inspiration in their lifetime for one classic. For others, even though their best work may come late, the spotlight is not shining on them at that stage. For U2 at least they have the artificical spotlight (marketing) on them this time around. Let's see what they can do. But the rules of collective consciousness say you are allowed only one classic. U2 have used up their ration. U2 may have just release the best album of their career yesterday but the label (and it is just a label) of classic may elude them this second time.

you are allowed more than one classic.

see:

smiths
beatles
rolling stones
dylan
elvis

you get the point.

what's less common is the spread in years between classics being more than 5-8.

teebee said:

see:

smiths
beatles
rolling stones
dylan
elvis

you get the point.

I like your list and all but you must understand that in the eyes of the average music fan worldwide the smiths don't have even one classic.
Most average fans recognize music from several U2 albums.

I got mega caught up in the hype at the time of the leak and went on record straight away to say it was my favourite album of all time, at that time.

After about 100 listens over a week I sat down put the headphones on and listented to Achtung Baby.

Nothing will ever surpass Achtung Baby, I remember thinking as I listened to it.

And so the HTDAAB factor started to fizzle out on me a bit.

Yet there is something ridiculously addictive about this album (maybe it's newness) but I cannot stop listenting to it. And it's regrowing on me. (That means I loved it at first, that fizzled out a bit but now I am liking it even more than I think I originally did).

I think time will show this album has something really special about it.

And back to the original point of this thread. Personally right now I feel it is better than the Joshua Tree. But Achtung still sits at the top of the mountain.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
Nothing can be better than perfect.
So nothing can be better than JT either.
It's simple.

I really don't think JT ids perfect, but that's just my opinion.
And like God Part III said: you really have to define what a good album is. JT had a couple of really masterpiece songs (Streets, ISHF, WOWY, RTST), like almost any U2 album from the 80s. But i think that HTDAAB is more consistent and there isnt any song that i really dislike. Its one of the most consistent U2 albums.

Furthermore i dont think its possible to judge whether HTDAAB is a classic album. IMO a classic album is an album that stands the test of time. The songs of HTDAAB need to develop further during next year's tour. When ATYCLB was released i thought it was a classic too, but it was only the excitement of a new u2 record after more than 3 years since Pop. Now 4 years later i still think its a great album, but certainly not a masterpiece. Some songs are masterpieces (BD, Kite, Walk On), but the overall feeling is that this album is nothing like AB still is after 13 years.

So whether HTDAAB is a real masterpiece only can be judged after a couple of years IMO. AB wasn't called a masterpiece either when it was released. I know it even got bad reviews at the time. And now its the most favourite record for a lot of fans.

teebee said:

see:

smiths
beatles
rolling stones
dylan
elvis

you get the point.

I think you are allowed one THE classic. For example, the Beatles have several classics but Sgt. Pepper is their THE classic.

But my main point is that HTDAAB arrived too late. JT has already been burned into its place in history. There is of course a chance for HTDAAB but it is unlikely simply because JT is already there. I totally agree with your last comment. What U2 are trying to do is like Barry Bonds. He was already a Hall of Famer and he already had all time seasons before his late 30's but somehow came up with ones even better eventually. The odds and history were certainly against him. Maybe U2 needs steroids. :wink:

There is absolutely no way that anyone can judge an album after two weeks to be the best thing a band has done, unless it is the bands first album.

The only song that I think kinda sticks out like a sore thumb is LAPOE. Now, I love the song. But I think it's too different than the rest. Shall I say too R&H, 80s sounding. Just think of this album sans LAPOE. Just try to … take away this song and you have a perfect flow … that little bit of added continuity between the remaining 10 songs, wow. 10 songs. A classic album.
Not that this one song prevents it from being a classic … I just think the 10 strongest songs, that cohesive, would have made it perfect.

I would like to revisit this topic in a couple of months, when the "newness" has started to wear off...personally, I love JT, absolutely love it. From the opening notes of "Streets" to the fade-out of "Mothers", I love that album. I like "Bomb", it's really grown on me...but to me it has some tracks (Man & Woman, One Step Closer) that just aren't at the level of the 2nd half tracks on JT. Also, think of how much better JT would if Exit was produced better...many call it the worst track on the album but IMO that's due to production; the live version, like so many other U2 songs, is far, far superior. I will say the Bomb is the best album since AB, and I'm glad of that...it's more than I could have hoped for.

I think the fact that every time U2 releases a new album everyone I know debates how it compares to Joshua Tree is one of the greatest testiments to how awesome The Joshua Tree really is

WOOHHHH!! Hold on. The Joshua Tree (I will spell it out cus it deserves our respect) has to be the best album of the 80's and up there with the best U2 has to offer. To compare it to HTDAAB, is disgrace to the album itself. Not to say HTDAAB is bad, but The Joshua Tree is a monster. As is Achtung Baby. HTDAAB I believe will reach the status. I know its better than ATYCLB. But lets see how it does commercially and what the boys have in store for us concerning the tour.
But to have a thread comapring the two is way too far.

Back
Top Bottom