How would you guys respond to my friend’s criticism of U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys. I have a co-worker who is a strong, outspoken critic of U2 and their work. He likes to condemn them whenever the opportunity arises. Recently, he sent me an IM fully explaining his deep-seated dislike toward the band.

Check it out. Here's what he had to say:

How would you guys respond to vitriol like that?

By the way- My co-worker is a self-professed metalhead and worships the deathcore band In Flames.

How would I respond?

I'd say "well, aren't you special," get back to my work, and forget about it.

As others in this thread have suggested, I would also recommend that you showcase some of U2's "unknown" songs to your friend. Songs takes from various eras just to show the incredible diversity of U2's music.

The fact that they take 4 years to meticulously release an album and try hard to make it sound different every time.
They're not like the "Strolling Bones" who put on the greatest hits tour every 2 years just to make tons of money. U2 actually goes out of their way to produce new sounds.

As others in this thread have suggested, I would also recommend that you showcase some of U2's "unknown" songs to your friend. Songs takes from various eras just to show the incredible diversity of U2's music.

The fact that they take 4 years to meticulously release an album and try hard to make it sound different every time.
They're not like the "Strolling Bones" who put on the greatest hits tour every 2 years just to make tons of money. U2 actually goes out of their way to produce new sounds.

The strolling bones PMSL.......:lol: :lol: :lol:

If he doesn't like them, he doesn't like it. That's fine. I can't really explain WHY *I* like their music, I just do. There are a lot of bands I don't have anything against per se, but the music just doesn't do anything for me. Live and let live.

The only thing I would say is that he keeps talking about the "music" but yet calls their popularity annoying and attributes fandom to Bono and his humanitarian efforts. What does that have to do with music then eh? He should have just stopped at "I simply don't feel that their music is necessarily worthy of all the praise they get" and I would agree to disagree.

:shrug:

I probably wouldn't try to get him to listen to more. I hate when people do that to me. If I had a dollar for every person that told me Pink Floyd was *just* like U2 and I'd love them.....I'd be rich, and still couldn't care less about Pink Floyd!

yeah you can agree to disagree, but its when they go on and on and really elaborate on stuff, wittering on about bono's humanitarian stuff......like someone said whats that gotta do with the music then? :ohmy:

I mean, back in the day, I used to witter on at my friend (big u2 fan) that bono was a prat, but to be honest, back then I didn't know a thing about the music........look at me now, like preaching to the converted as I am a fan now!! :D

I think its the closed mind stuff that really gets people in that they won't even give the music a chance...

Why do people always make the logical transition from "Bono lobbies governments for action against extreme poverty" ---> "Bono is a self-important, egotistical, pretentious bastard"?

How the fuck is political activism egotistical?

If you ask me, is says much more about about the person saying it than it does about Bono.

who cares what he thinks? you dont have to defend your taste of music to anyone. they dont like what you listen to, tough shit!

Say this: "Hold on, you're insulting U2 when you listen to fucking In Flames?" Then just laugh at him. Laugh and laugh. Then go back to your computer and play Mofo (preferably the live version) while continuing to laugh.

Hey now! Remember all tastes are equal.

"How would you guys respond to vitriol like that?"

I would say something along the lines of........
"Through no probable fault of your own - Your complete and utter shite taste in music (which is no doubt linked in some way to the size of your brain) sadly renders you incapable of appreciating and experiencing the wonder and the joy that is the music of U2, so don't go getting yourself in a little tizzy about it."

Of course if you like this guy and don't want to insult him you could just say......"I feel your pain - I wish there was a support group I could refer you to"

First of all, his comments are hardly what I'd call "vitriol." He doesn't like U2, and that's fine. It's not a requirement of music fans to like U2.

People who feel compelled to convince everyone else that U2 are the greatest band ever and feel even more compelled to argue with people who don't share the same opinion are, frankly, kind of annoying.

People who feel compelled to convince everyone else that U2 are the greatest band ever and feel even more compelled to argue with people who don't share the same opinion are, frankly, kind of annoying.

:up::up:
And that goes for albuns, other artists, movies, etc.

Make your friend a deal. Let him give you something of his favourite band's to listen to, and give him the Boston Elevation DVD and see what either of you think after that.

IMO it was the Elevation DVD which made me a huge fan. It was best concert I had seen up to that point.

And yeah, if he doesn't like U2 after that, thats fine. But theres a real possibility the only thing he knows about U2 is they made Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

It your co-worker is basing his opinion of U2 only on their work from the current decade, you might want to make him a mix CD showcasing some of their heavier songs, like Bullet, God Part II and The Fly.

If he still doesn't care for U2 after that, just accept that not everyone on earth is going to love, like or even respect your favorite band, and that it's not the end of the world.

Tell him great musicianship is about finding the right note at the right time with the right tone for the right feel. Putting those 'rights' together is what it's all about. It never ceases to amaze me how instrumental nerds can be the biggest meatballs. It's as if they lose all sense of artistry.

It's all very reminiscent of 12 year olds in the school yard:

My music's better than yours!!!
No it's not!!!
Yes it is!!
Is not!
Is to!
Not!
Is!

:huh:

When I meet people like that I just go... "oh, well, I LOVE 'EM!!!" with a huge smile on my face and then change the subject. The majority of the really rabid "haters" haven't even listened to a whole album, they are just going by the singles, so it's like, who cares? Don't worry about it. There are plenty of people who hate other artists the same way. The more popular you get, the more haters you have, that's how you know you've really made it in showbiz. LOL

Hey guys. I have a co-worker who is a strong, outspoken critic of U2 and their work. He likes to condemn them whenever the opportunity arises. Recently, he sent me an IM fully explaining his deep-seated dislike toward the band.

Check it out. Here's what he had to say:

How would you guys respond to vitriol like that?

By the way- My co-worker is a self-professed metalhead and worships the deathcore band In Flames.

U2's style is much different than Metal. My response to him, would be "to each his own, dude." I'm not a listener of Metal and I wouldn't be bothering people with my "messages." While, I am suppose to be working.

just on a musical note- Im highly critical but U2 was one of the first outfits 2 combine ambient folk with Opera and succeed- Miss Sarajevo- who can pull that off? Musically, very difficult to achieve, let alone 2 make believable. U2 has a great knack for capturing the emotional tide on record... call it the irish ache.

Back
Top Bottom