How do you really feel about HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you really feel about HTDAAB

• I love it, my favourite U2 album!

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • It's great, it's in my top 5

Votes: 90 27.4%
  • It's ok, comparatively in the middle somewhere

Votes: 139 42.4%
  • It's not good, not awful, below halfway

Votes: 67 20.4%
  • It's awful, I hate it!

Votes: 30 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a half-ass effort by an awesome band. dunno wtf happened! it was great when it first came out, probably because we as fans are so deprived since we only get an album every 4-5 years or so, but it slowly started to get worse as time went on.

I think it's one of the best adult contemporary albums every produced.

I like it better than R&H, October, and ATYCLB. Fast Cars is better than any of the songs actually on the album, IMHO.

steelers.png

COBL and SYCMIOYO are two of U2's best songs. I think it's a better effort overall than ATYCLB. Pop is by far their most underrated album.

It's a great album, that I listen to from the first tune to the very last. An album, that is a collection of songs, with a certain warm sound, I still like very much. I'd call it a masterpiece (with TJT, AB, TUF, POP, BOY) – and still hope, that by miracle a tune called "Crumbs From Your Table" will make it in the live sets ...:drool:

I rank it in the top 5 -- it's clearly not as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, and it's not quite up there with Unforgettable Fire or the studio portions of Rattle & Hum, but I think it's the best album since 1991 and it's probably the 5th best overall.

I'm not really arsed about how well it hangs together conceptually; I interpret "album" as a batch of songs. If the songs are good, I like it. As Bob Dylan once said: "An 'album' to me is not that monumental of a thing. It's just a collection of songs."

Also, WTF to the guy who said it's "adult contemporary"?? Yeah, if Bad Brains is your idea of soft rock. . .

Anyway, I have absolutely no problem with (a) the lack of conceptual 'togetherness' (although there is a lot of lyrical unity) or (b) the big loud brash production -- if these don't bother you, you'll probably like the record more.

I also predict that Bomb's reputation will increase after the dust settles on this new album.

Musically weak and lyrically lazy, mechanically structured and over-produced, thematically shallow, soulless and cold, I’m not sure how people can compare with any sort of straight face the songs of this album in any reasonable fashion to those on virtually any other U2 album. Arguing that the Bomb has it’s place alongside the Unforgettable Fire or Zooropa, let alone Achtung/JT, is to me (in more ways than one) similar to putting up a fight for Phantom Menace taking a place alongside the Empire Strikes Back. And Yahweh is Jar Jar Binks.

While occasionally providing the odd brilliant example of middle of the road, adult contemporary, pop-rock construction (and one or two catchy, mindless, suburban rock radio riffs) overall this album does not even hold a candle to the one it was intended to be a bigger and brighter and louder extension of, the somewhat weak but in comparison genius, natural, warm breeze pop of ATYCLB. And lets not even embarrass those pre-00’s albums by daring to make any comparison with them. They’re demanding DNA tests to confirm a shared parentage – we do have our doubts - but for now we’ll just let them sit over on the side of the room, ignoring this black sheep in the family.

How the same fan that still gets a chill 20+ years later from Running To Stand Still can even endure more than the first 30 seconds of Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own without gag reflex kicking in is beyond me. How someone who is astounded at any and all versions of Bono’s brilliant yearning lyric on Please can then listen to the comparatively amazingly moronic Love and Peace without beginning to wonder if any or all of the band have taken seriously damaging knocks to the head at some point in 2003-4 is also beyond me. How anyone can listen to Native Son and feel that door getting kicked down, the character running out into his freedom at every point that massive riff kicks in and still find any enjoyment in hearing it deployed only for it’s absolute surface level catchiness on Vertigo I don’t know. I have no idea how anyone can listen to City of Blinding Lights and say anything other than “Well, admittedly it’s pretty good (if only they got the mix right), quite striking live, but my god if they were trying for a 00’s Streets they missed the mark by a long fucking shot.” I have zero respect for people in these forums bashing Coldplay around the block while totally ignoring a song like Miracle Drug, which surely gave even the absolutely terrible X&Y-era Coldplay confidence in their goal of finally toppling their heroes. Of course the Killers hear All Because of You and think the old men have lost it and should move over for their totally surface level, party music pop rock from Vegas. Too easy for them.

*ahem* so yeah, I maybe voted for “It’s awful, I hate it”.

Musically weak and lyrically lazy, mechanically structured and over-produced, thematically shallow, soulless and cold, I’m not sure how people can compare with any sort of straight face the songs of this album in any reasonable fashion to those on virtually any other U2 album. Arguing that the Bomb has it’s place alongside the Unforgettable Fire or Zooropa, let alone Achtung/JT, is to me (in more ways than one) similar to putting up a fight for Phantom Menace taking a place alongside the Empire Strikes Back. And Yahweh is Jar Jar Binks.

While occasionally providing the odd brilliant example of middle of the road, adult contemporary, pop-rock construction (and one or two catchy, mindless, suburban rock radio riffs) overall this album does not even hold a candle to the one it was intended to be a bigger and brighter and louder extension of, the somewhat weak but in comparison genius, natural, warm breeze pop of ATYCLB. And lets not even embarrass those pre-00’s albums by daring to make any comparison with them. They’re demanding DNA tests to confirm a shared parentage – we do have our doubts - but for now we’ll just let them sit over on the side of the room, ignoring this black sheep in the family.

How the same fan that still gets a chill 20+ years later from Running To Stand Still can even endure more than the first 30 seconds of Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own without gag reflex kicking in is beyond me. How someone who is astounded at any and all versions of Bono’s brilliant yearning lyric on Please can then listen to the comparatively amazingly moronic Love and Peace without beginning to wonder if any or all of the band have taken seriously damaging knocks to the head at some point in 2003-4 is also beyond me. How anyone can listen to Native Son and feel that door getting kicked down, the character running out into his freedom at every point that massive riff kicks in and still find any enjoyment in hearing it deployed only for it’s absolute surface level catchiness on Vertigo I don’t know. I have no idea how anyone can listen to City of Blinding Lights and say anything other than “Well, admittedly it’s pretty good (if only they got the mix right), quite striking live, but my god if they were trying for a 00’s Streets they missed the mark by a long fucking shot.” I have zero respect for people in these forums bashing Coldplay around the block while totally ignoring a song like Miracle Drug, which surely gave even the absolutely terrible X&Y-era Coldplay confidence in their goal of finally toppling their heroes. Of course the Killers hear All Because of You and think the old men have lost it and should move over for their totally surface level, party music pop rock from Vegas. Too easy for them.

but what do you really think?

Last edited:
I can't choose "in the 2nd half" because it's definitely my least favorite, or 2nd least favorite, depending on my mood, but I can't say "it's awful, I hate it," because I don't. Relative to other U2 albums, sure, but in the grand scheme of music, not at all.

:D great post

Well, I'm not absolutely crazy about it (and never was), I'd say somewhere below the halfway mark. It has some of my favourite songs on it, but at the same time, it's riddled with OK-ish to completely craptastic songs that to me, don't form a cohesive album.

I like alot of the songs on the album therefore i really like the album......could'nt give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks about it ( especially the pretentious clowns on this forum )

BsB

I rank it in the top 5 -- it's clearly not as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, and it's not quite up there with Unforgettable Fire or the studio portions of Rattle & Hum, but I think it's the best album since 1991 and it's probably the 5th best overall.

I'm not really arsed about how well it hangs together conceptually; I interpret "album" as a batch of songs. If the songs are good, I like it. As Bob Dylan once said: "An 'album' to me is not that monumental of a thing. It's just a collection of songs."

Anyway, I have absolutely no problem with (a) the lack of conceptual 'togetherness' (although there is a lot of lyrical unity) or (b) the big loud brash production -- if these don't bother you, you'll probably like the record more.
Totally agree :up:

BsB

A great collection of songs, poorly produced and recorded without any larger idea or reason to be in the same room together.
I like to think of it as U2 Best of 2001-2004 because that's what it is. U2 write songs all the time, they just don't choose to share... I imagine that there was a 2001, 2002, 2003,and 2004 album and they picked their favorites and called it HTDAAB.

Yeah, there were some great out-takes: Mercy, Are you Gonna Wait Forever, Fast Cars... I always hated Smile though. (Only track from the era I'll say that about.)

I voted that it was in my top 5, athough there may be more than 5 albums in my top five depending on what day you ask me.... Not my fault, Bono taught me to count!
Uno
Dos
tres
Catorce!!!!!!

But a vast improvement on All That... the worst album they've ever recorded!

I like alot of the songs on the album therefore i really like the album......could'nt give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks about it ( especially the pretentious clowns on this forum )

BsB

One person so far has voted it there favourite album. Was that you BSB?

To me the album is a shocker. Most the songs on the album make me cringe. I don't rate it highly at all but I will not bag people for liking the album. Everyone has different tastes.

One person so far has voted it there favourite album. Was that you BSB?

To me the album is a shocker. Most the songs on the album make me cringe. I don't rate it highly at all but I will not bag people for liking the album. Everyone has different tastes.
No mate i didnt vote it my favourite but i think it has some really solid tunes.

You're correct in saying everyone has different tastes......except mine is correct :wink:

BsB

Shouldn't have won all those Grammys. Oh well.

HTDAAB really doesn't hold up for me over time as a whole album. However, I still semi-regularly listen to the following tracks: Original of the Species, One Step Closer, A Man and a Woman, All Because of You, Crumbs from Your Table & City of Blinding Lights.

Like a poster said above, I wish Native Son had replaced Vertigo and Mercy and Smile been added instead of Yahweh & Love and Peace or Else. Also, make Fast Cars a hidden track for all editions.

Something like this:

Native Son
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Miracle Drug
City of Blinding Lights
Smile
A Man and a Woman
All Because of You
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Original of the Species
Crumbs from Your Table
One Step Closer
Mercy
Fast Cars

I like it, though I would've liked it much more if the songwriting and the production was better. But still some cracking tracks there.

"Originally, we were going to call the album How to Build An Atomic Bomb, and then I changed it to How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb because I thought that was maybe a more important thing to figure out. And I had fully intended to write about what was going on in the wider world, dangerous times we're living in, post-September 11th, all that anxiety...

And then I just stopped and started writing about what was going on in my own interior world, and the interior world of people around me.

In dangerous times, you tend to draw closer to people you love, and family and friends, and you hold them a bit tighter."

"My father had died... And Irish people are not great at dealing with grief. They just don't admit to it. My mother died when I was fourteen and we never spoke about her in the house. Which is a bit mad.

And my father died a few years ago and I thought I was fine with it and I thought I was okay. But then you find yourself walking down the street with tears running down your face, or just doing stupid stuff, actually. Having that extra drink. And I thought there was something wrong with me, and that's what I started writing about.

It turned into a very personal album. Not what we were looking for, we weren't looking for that kind of album, but the album you get and the album you want are often very different."

- Bono

On the first listen, I thought Bomb was more like a collection of short stories rather than a novel. I liked about half the songs, but I really didn't connect with the album until two years later when my father and baby daughter died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom