How do we deal with....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things seem to be really getting out of hand in parts of this forum. The rules are very clear about what is and isn't acceptable here. If someone breaks these rules they know the consequences and should be ready to accept them.

I like Utoo's suggestion and the additions of several others (nbcrusader, u2girl1978, and others) and would like to add that if someone attacks a mod, even through email or PM, he or she should receive a warning for that as well, and those warnings should count towards a banning.

For example I think the rule should be you get three warnings in a 12 month period. If you keep doing the same stuff after the third warning, you're banned for a month or two. If when you are allowed back you are good, alls fine. But if within a certain period of time (say six months) you get another warning, you're out for a year.

I do appreciate the flak you (mods) get for a banning of a popular member and some of that is just going to come with the territory. However, if people get abusive, even on email or PMs, the same rules should apply. Three warned episodes of bad behaviour -- no matter where on the site or to the mods or other members -- within a year, and you get banned.

And as far as people not responding at all to PMs or emails from a mod -- to me that's the same as a big "fuck you." If the person suddenly cleans up his or her act after an email that's one thing, but if the person doesn't respond or change behaviour, then tough twinkies, after three warnings you're out, whether you respond to the warnings or not.

u2granny said:
Things seem to be really getting out of hand in parts of this forum.

Yeah, the Vertigo Tour Audio/Video forum has been awfully nasty in the last few days--even after Elvis' posts..:ohmy:

Utoo said:

Yeah, the Vertigo Tour Audio/Video forum has been awfully nasty in the last few days--even after Elvis' posts..:ohmy:

It has? :hyper:

I think there are degrees of nastiness. Calling someone as asshole, or more, is going too far. But debate is a very worthy thing. I cringe at the possibility of us agreeing all the time, giving thumbs-up and a hug smiley at every turn. It's good to hammer issues out, without hammering each other. And if you do offend someone, and they let you know about it, it's classy to apologize.

I'd be careful with banning, unless posters are obviously trolling. I think we all know what that is when we see it.

i think maybe suspensions are the way to start...
3 warnings after that a one month suspension... just to let people cool off and remember why they come here in the first place.

if after their return the behaviour continues then look at longer suspensions (3-6 months) or eventually a permanent ban.

there does need to be a very solid warning system though that gives no flexibility, like the 3 strikes idea.
not one warning now and another a bit later and maybe another in a few months and then another soon after that.
make it 3 strikes in a year and stick to it with no give at all - if its a firm rule there can be no argument over it.
at the moment i think the banning rules are a bit too unclear in terms of at what point someone will actually get banned as opposed to just warned... again!

This board seems to go through phases where a good many people who should know better start acting like high school kids. I think when that happens, those people should be dealt with like kids, perceived popularity should have nothing to do with it.

I agree with the idea of implementing more "time outs". If certain members can't get the message that they need to change their behavior, then a longer/permanent break sounds like the only solution. While it's true this might make more work for the mods, I think as people get used to the idea that something will happen to them if they choose to act like an ass, the occurrences of ass-iness will drop dramatically.

U2dork said:
This board seems to go through phases where a good many people who should know better start acting like high school kids. I think when that happens, those people should be dealt with like kids, perceived popularity should have nothing to do with it.

Exactly, and honestly the whole "popular" thing sounds just like high school, is that the kind of environment people want around here? :huh: Because that's the way it is here now, and it is a real turn off.

Many times I want to say something when I see the conduct of certain people around here, or when someone bothers/offends me. But I make the choice not to because I don't want to get sucked in to the whole hs vortex and because in the grand scheme of things it's not important in my day and my life. I come here as a diversion, not to be stressed. If some people here can't self-censor then it has to be done for them.

ThoraSEB said:

..If you ignore a bully, they'll eventually give up. It is no fun for them to harass and argue with someone that won't give you the time of day. Not sure if that makes total sense, but there's my 2 cents.

Possibly, but I have my doubts. If being a bully is an engrained part of a somebody's personality, they will not stop overnight or probably not within a few months, they'll just move to another person to abuse.

It is a bad dilemma with the forum, allow a bully to post - or offend the bully clique.

u2rulesmyworld said:
Ban all the trouble makers!

i should be 1st!

oh shit no one left if you do that

It's not out of the question. You're no different than any other member here.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Exactly, and honestly the whole "popular" thing sounds just like high school, is that the kind of environment people want around here? :huh: Because that's the way it is here now, and it is a real turn off.

Many times I want to say something when I see the conduct of certain people around here, or when someone bothers/offends me. But I make the choice not to because I don't want to get sucked in to the whole hs vortex and because in the grand scheme of things it's not important in my day and my life. I come here as a diversion, not to be stressed. If some people here can't self-censor then it has to be done for them.

:up:

Why not make EVERYONE pay to be a member of Interference or can that be done? I think it would eliminate most of the people who come on here to just mess with people.

MsGiggles said:
Why not make EVERYONE pay to be a member of Interference or can that be done? I think it would eliminate most of the people who come on here to just mess with people.

That wouldn't be fair, and we'd lose alot of people, which isn't at all what anybody wants.

I've been a member on many forums encompassing varied genres. One thing a lot of them have in common is that when someone gets a warning, a label will be placed near their avatar/username displaying exactly that. This would be useful for both Mods (easily identifing right away who has been dealt with) and for other members (proving that disciplinary actions have been taken against them).

love_u2_adam said:
ummmmm i don't think its very nice when you get attack (I'm not pointing to anyone)for just saying some thing in a thread...if you don't like what im saying keep the nasty remarks to yourself and get over it!!!

I can agree with you, however, what may be most obvious can also be most impossible once someone's pride is in question.

:censored:
nevermind :wink:

all i'll say is that i like that the "status" is now listed---good idea. :yes:

Last edited:
MsGiggles said:

I don't think paying has anything to do with it. (except in the case of trolls, but they are usually swiftly spotted and dealt with). Most of the trouble makers I've noticed of late happen to be long time paying memebers.

As for everything else, I agree some sort of time out system would likely be most effective. :up:

I am hesitent to post as I have <1000 posts and have not been here very long but I saw a suggestion in another thread that looked like a strong idea.

Could the chat part of Interference be revamped and pushed?

That way people mingle, there is less of a "chique" feel to certian threads, and people might be more compelled to get to know someone knew.

Not sure how plausable. Just an idea.

Cleasai said:
I've been a member on many forums encompassing varied genres. One thing a lot of them have in common is that when someone gets a warning, a label will be placed near their avatar/username displaying exactly that. This would be useful for both Mods (easily identifing right away who has been dealt with) and for other members (proving that disciplinary actions have been taken against them).

This is a good idea but I would think that if some people saw some member had a warning and they didn't like that person, they'd be antagonistic towards them to try to get them kicked off:shrug: I agree with some of the previous comments though that it is usually the same people causing problems. I mean if you stroll through some of the threads that's obvious. Pretty sad really. I don't know if this is an option on here already but on some other forums there's an 'Ignore' option on each of the messages and if you click it you can ignore all posts and messages from certain users. Or this could be amusing an Interference Hall of Justice.. If major issues arise amongst users they can make their case in that thread or users can vote if someone's causing so many problems they should be banned for good..This could also work well with the warning label talked about previously.

AngelofHarlem01 said:

This is a good idea but I would think that if some people saw some member had a warning and they didn't like that person, they'd be antagonistic towards them to try to get them kicked off:shrug:

When it comes down to it the member that has the warning has to make the choice to respond to antagonistic posts. I have no problem with public warnings.

AngelofHarlem01 said:
I don't know if this is an option on here already but on some other forums there's an 'Ignore' option on each of the messages and if you click it you can ignore all posts and messages from certain users.
yes, it's an option. :) i think if more people used it on people they disliked, there might be less drama. posts by people that normally make your blood boil would just go ignored because you wouldn't see them. of course, then you'd have to have the self-control to not click on the link to display the post anyway :lol:

AngelofHarlem01 said:

This is a good idea but I would think that if some people saw some member had a warning and they didn't like that person, they'd be antagonistic towards them to try to get them kicked off:shrug:

simple solution, don't do things that lead to a warning. if someone does then that's a price they risk paying, brought on themselves.

I don't think there will be a solution - some people don't care about warnings, etc. so I think people will have to live with it or leave if it bothers them that much :shrug:

A few open letters might also help.

Announce a new policy. Post it for a week or two in every forum.

Write slightly more suggestive letters to those who are causing trouble.

The behavior wont be tolerated and outline consiquences.

We had to do that on a different forum I frequent and it actually did help a bit.

I've just deleted 5 completely derailing posts from this thread. Hijacking this thread will not be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom