HOTLINKING - all PLEBA members please read!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, ydw, you aren't hotlinking if you quote pics. But if someone, posted a pic and you right clicked on it and saved it to your desktop without putting it in photobucket or any other pic sites and you put the pic in another post then that's hotlinking.

Urghhh... Am I making sense? :huh: :|

U2Girl1978 said:
No, ydw, you aren't hotlinking if you quote pics. But if someone, posted a pic and you right clicked on it and saved it to your desktop without putting it in photobucket or any other pic sites and you put the pic in another post then that's hotlinking.

Yes, you did. And no, I don't think I have ever done that. I have always had such extensive collections of my own and wanted to use my own links so I wouldn't have to worry about the sites going down. Back when I first started posting 4 years ago, there were good sites that would vanish overnight. It was always safer to have your own.

Thanks for explaining, I thought you guys were talking about pic quoting, or posting from someone else's site.

BTW, it's always better to keep the pics on your computer even if you upload them to a site, since sites can malfunction or go down and lose data. Also if you can save them on a disc in case your computer crashes, that's good too. I don't know how and my old pc went down with over 4000 U2 pics :sad: I had about half of them already uploaded to boomspeed so I resaved them. Please always have backup, pics are precious!

U2Girl1978 said:

Yes, thanks it did make sense. But wot happens if you simply want to save the image into a folder on your hard drive and you never post it anywhere. (Ok, you simply save it for yourself so you can leer over it later...);)

U2Kitten said:

Thanks for explaining, I thought you guys were talking about pic quoting, or posting from someone else's site.

If you were right clicking on someone else's pictures on another site and didn't save it to photobucket or snapfish, I think it's still hotlinking.

U2Girl1978 said:

Saving a picture to your desktop isn't hotlinking. That doesn't use up any bandwidth. Once a picture is saved on your computer, all it is doing is using up space on your computer.

Bonochick said:

Saving a picture to your desktop isn't hotlinking. That doesn't use up any bandwidth. Once a picture is saved on your computer, all it is doing is using up space on your computer.

Thanks for the info. I can now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I can letch over my various saved pix of the band without feeling guilty.:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

To sum it all up:

Right click and save to computer=Good

Quote=Good

Right click/properties, copy URL=Bad

Free image hosting sites:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-i...p?sort=4&page=1

8a72ff54.gif

What granny said ^

Also, here's a quick lesson on "bandwidth" for those who might know what to do, but not why it matters.....

When you have a website, you really have two things: first, you buy the domain. Then, you either use your own webserver, or buy space on someone else's server to host the actual site. Sort of like when you buy a house, you still have to pay the property taxes and utilities.

Bandwidth = The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. When you buy the hosting plan for your sites (the second part desribed above), part of this is bandwidth. Most plans have a bandwidth quota, meaning, only a certain amount of data can be transfered over your domain in a month. So, I own www.alihewson.com and I have a large photo gallery. Everytime someone loads that gallery, data is being transfered because those pics are being downloaded. Hotlinking means instead of saving it to your OWN domain and using your OWN bandwidth that comes w/ your hosting plan, you're using the images as they exist on MY domain. So everytime someone opens the thread and that image loads, data is being transfered over my domain and my bandwidth is getting closer to quota.

For free sites like Snapfish, Webshots, and Photobucket, you're not paying for hosting plans or the domain, they're giving you free access to a certain amount of space on their domain. Other free sites like Geocities and Angelfire have hotlinking disabled in order to cut down on stealing bandwidth.

So back to the house analogy - say I had guests over to my house...since they were invited to stay with me, I don't care if they use my water and electricity while they're in my house. "Stealing bandwidth" would be like if my neighbor came in and then ran extension cords to HIS house and used MY electricity outside of my home without my invitation.

Make sense?

u2granny said:
To sum it all up:

Right click and save to computer=Good

Quote=Good

Right click/properties, copy URL=Bad

Free image hosting sites:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-i...p?sort=4&page=1

8a72ff54.gif
What about if I'm in one thread, I see a picture I like, I click Quote, then once I'm in there, I copy the Url, and paste it as a reply in another thread?

(That was what I used to do, and I thought that might have been hotlinking, but now I'm not so sure........)

This is all very confusing to someone doesn't know much about how anything works. :reject:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
What granny said ^

Also, here's a quick lesson on "bandwidth" for those who might know what to do, but not why it matters.....

When you have a website, you really have two things: first, you buy the domain. Then, you either use your own webserver, or buy space on someone else's server to host the actual site. Sort of like when you buy a house, you still have to pay the property taxes and utilities.

Bandwidth = The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. When you buy the hosting plan for your sites (the second part desribed above), part of this is bandwidth. Most plans have a bandwidth quota, meaning, only a certain amount of data can be transfered over your domain in a month. So, I own www.alihewson.com and I have a large photo gallery. Everytime someone loads that gallery, data is being transfered because those pics are being downloaded. Hotlinking means instead of saving it to your OWN domain and using your OWN bandwidth that comes w/ your hosting plan, you're using the images as they exist on MY domain. So everytime someone opens the thread and that image loads, data is being transfered over my domain and my bandwidth is getting closer to quota.

For free sites like Snapfish, Webshots, and Photobucket, you're not paying for hosting plans or the domain, they're giving you free access to a certain amount of space on their domain. Other free sites like Geocities and Angelfire have hotlinking disabled in order to cut down on stealing bandwidth.

So back to the house analogy - say I had guests over to my house...since they were invited to stay with me, I don't care if they use my water and electricity while they're in my house. "Stealing bandwidth" would be like if my neighbor came in and then ran extension cords to HIS house and used MY electricity outside of my home without my invitation.

Make sense?

You really made it nice and easy for the likes of me who understands feck all about bandwidths etc. Thanks.:)

Meghan said:

What about if I'm in one thread, I see a picture I like, I click Quote, then once I'm in there, I copy the Url, and paste it as a reply in another thread?

(That was what I used to do, and I thought that might have been hotlinking, but now I'm not so sure........)

This is all very confusing to someone doesn't know much about how anything works. :reject:

It is hotlinking, but as long as the original picture (the one you're quoting) was hotlinked from someone or somewhere who allowed it, it's fine.

one4u2 said:
I spy hotlinkers on interference as we speak :eyebrow: Hopefully they are reading through this thread :|

If you see someone hotlinking, I would point it out to them (nicely, of course!) and then reference them to this thread, in case they don't know what hotlinking is.

Okay, this is very informative!! I had no idea ! :(

I think I get it but just one question: If you post a link to the URL but the photo does not appear, just the link, that is hotlinking? Or is that like a bookmark? :huh: Help me out here!

I think it might be hot-linking from what you all say, even if there's no photo showing up. Is that correct? If "correct", I'd be guilty-wrong :( so I apologize to anyone's site I have linked to, & will stop. :eek:

Technically, no, it's not hotlinking b/c you would be accessing the image from it's original source. However, I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot if you can help it. In forums like this where there's so much picture sharing, it's more polite to just save the image and link it from your own source, plus, it's a good habit to get used to in general.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Technically, no, it's not hotlinking b/c you would be accessing the image from it's original source. However, I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot if you can help it. In forums like this where there's so much picture sharing, it's more polite to just save the image and link it from your own source, plus, it's a good habit to get used to in general.

Thanks livluv - Appreciate the reply! :wave:

I'm hoping to get a photobucket at some point but am way behind with even my own personal photos! Have fun at the upcoming concerts too! *so jealous* but happy for you too! lol.

Souly, could I use your hotlinking explanation for another U2 forum? It's not especially for pics so I would adapt it, but I didn't find a better and clearer text than what you did. :up:

Of course you'd get credits and links to here! :)

Okay, rather than go through this entire thread :yawn: (got to pg.3 and gave up)
lemme see if i understand....
if i right-clicked and just posted a pic as the background for my desktop, is that a no-no? I did do that w/a few pics til I found the one I liked :reject:

I don't have a site, (your talking a personal website right?) nor can I see myself getting one so...

I feel so friggin' old, :( I still don't get all this computer stuff! :confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom