Hole of Horcum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm back, time to resume listening partway through Higher Ground.

Varitek said:

the last time (only time) i flew air canada in october i was totally blown away

it's not just monitors in the back of the seats, it's the future. they have electrical outlets. the monitors are widescreen touchscreens, where you have like 100s of things ot choose from - maybe 100+ movies plus sports, tv shows and other things like that, and for the movies at least, you could watch previews, and it's all on demand - start it in your seat whenever you want

i saw 3 really really good movies and 1 crap one that i dosed through and put it on cause i knew i wasn't awake

Wow!

I hope I get a plane like that on my next overseas venture..

The last time we were right in front of the video screen. I didn't really sleep, I just stared out the window as the sky kept getting brighter and brighter.. that is until they closed the blind :madspit:

LemonMelon said:

I use left/right index fingers
left/right middle
left/right ring

and still only manage 60-65 wpm. I blame perfectionism.

My 70wpm is at 100% accuracy. In my grade eight IT class, I was overall the best typer - there was one girl faster than me, 100wpm or so, but her accuracy was totally shithouse.

Also, I must be weird in that I find it quicker to use Caps Lock than Shift, even just for first-letter-of-a-word capitalisation.

Is Small Spark supposed to sound like the vocals were recorded in a sensory deprivation tank?

9. Stevie Wonder – “Higher Ground” – Innervisions (3:42)
Meh. Weakest track of the list, I think, just because it did absolutely nothing for me. At least the Chemical Brothers track evoked a response.

10. Tracy Chapman – “Across The Lines” – Tracy Chapman (3:24)
This is the song Vazza used to introduce me to Tracy Chapman. I love it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Is Small Spark supposed to sound like the vocals were recorded in a sensory deprivation tank?

It's meant to sound like he recorded it at home when he was laid low with Hep C and had only the most basic equipment.

Axver said:

It's meant to sound like he recorded it at home when he was laid low with Hep C and had only the most basic equipment.

You can't hear the Hepatitis very much, but the arrangement's fairly un-objectionable.

The Sisters of Mercy track is pretty funny, too.

11. 10,000 Maniacs – “What’s The Matter Here?” – In My Tribe (4:51)
I didn't mind this. Easy to listen to, but it doesn't stand out. Still, it's advancing the tracklist.

RavenBlue said:

Wow!

I hope I get a plane like that on my next overseas venture..

The last time we were right in front of the video screen. I didn't really sleep, I just stared out the window as the sky kept getting brighter and brighter.. that is until they closed the blind :madspit:

actually, that was the return flight, the flight tor-london kinda sucked in terms of technology, but the seats were comfy upright/tilted back (the chair tilted too, easier on my back) and also it was so empty i grabbed a row of 4 across and lay down and took a sleeping pill and woke up 6 hours later in london. perfect flight.

Axver said:
Are you intentionally being a dick for the lulz?

It's only fair, right?

I've liked a few tracks so far and appreciate the effort you put into the list, but I'm re-assessing the songs themselves as opposed to the whole deal.

Axver said:

10. Tracy Chapman – “Across The Lines” – Tracy Chapman (3:24)
This is the song Vazza used to introduce me to Tracy Chapman. I love it.

:D

is this LMP who used tracy?

she's on my list of artists to look at for a certain place in the DI list I'm composing now.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's only fair, right?

I've liked a few tracks so far and appreciate the effort you put into the list, but I'm re-assessing the songs themselves as opposed to the whole deal.

Of course. :wink:

I must admit I've been fairly surprised that tracks I thought would be rather popular haven't been at all. I especially expected people to love Marillion's Jigsaw.

i should have done this cd importing thing ages ago, i'm so excited to finally have more indigo girls on my itunes, especially their 2-disc live album

Axver said:

Of course. :wink:

I must admit I've been fairly surprised that tracks I thought would be rather popular haven't been at all. I especially expected people to love Marillion's Jigsaw.

Really now?

This song won't end... I don't think it's beautiful, and don't want my door open wide, you pederast.

12. Aimee Mann – “Stupid Thing” – Whatever (4:27)
Somebody else used an Aimee Mann track, I forget who, but it was really boring in any case. But this has kept my attention and I like it. The use of Tracy Chapman, 10,000 Maniacs, and this together is effective.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Really now?

This song won't end... I don't think it's beautiful, and don't want my door open wide, you pederast.

not having listened to the song, i just looked up pederast to double check that it meant what i thought it meant...

so why does a song make ax a pederast?

Axver said:
12. Aimee Mann – “Stupid Thing” – Whatever (4:27)
Somebody else used an Aimee Man track, I forget who, but it was really boring in any case. But this has kept my attention and I like it. The use of Tracy Chapman, 10,000 Maniacs, and this together is effective.

I did, actually.

Varitek said:

not having listened to the song, i just looked up pederast to double check that it meant what i thought it meant...

so why does a song make ax a pederast?

Oh no, not Ax, just the lead singer.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Really now?

I figured it'd go down well with Joy Division and Cure fans, as it's from the same scene.

Axver said:

I figured it'd go down well with Joy Division and Cure fans, as it's from the same scene.

The Ride track sounds fairly familiar, kind of like The Secret Machines.

Nothing objectionable yet.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Oh no, not Ax, just the lead singer.

If Liam ever bothers coming back here, he'll kill you. :wink:

He loves the Sisters Of Mercy. I largely don't care for them but they've some songs I like, especially Alice.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The Ride track sounds fairly familiar, kind of like The Secret Machines.

Nothing objectionable yet.

The Secret Machines? :huh:

Ride were one of the leading shoegaze bands. If you ask me, much better than My Bloody Valentine. Nowhere is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Axver said:

If Liam ever bothers coming back here, he'll kill you. :wink:

He loves the Sisters Of Mercy. I largely don't care for them but they've some songs I like, especially Alice.

The guy's voice fucking killed me. I think it's a full 5 octaves lower than deep David Bowie.

Axver said:

The Secret Machines? :huh:

Ride were one of the leading shoegaze bands. If you ask me, much better than My Bloody Valentine. Nowhere is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Not musically, but the dude's voice is pretty similar. I kind of dig MBV, not as much as L-Mel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom