Hits Daily Double watch....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skywalker said:
Now with 12.89% in...

1 -> U2 97,643
2 -> Eminem 51,851

These building charts are fun, but don't get too caught up. First, Hits is only about 90% right most of the time. Second, the numbers swing back and forth like crazy, so your favorite artist could be up by a lot one moment, and not so much the next.

Still, these are VERY incouraging, and I cannot see U2 selling less than 750,000 based on these #'s, maybe as much as 900,000...

tkramer said:

These building charts are fun, but don't get too caught up. First, Hits is only about 90% right most of the time. Second, the numbers swing back and forth like crazy, so your favorite artist could be up by a lot one moment, and not so much the next.

Still, these are VERY incouraging, and I cannot see U2 selling less than 750,000 based on these #'s, maybe as much as 900,000...

I disagree. I made a chart last week comparing the Top 5 artists' numbers from Hits and SoundScan. The biggest difference was 7% - and sometimes there was no real difference at all!

Still, as you wrote, it is fun to watch and encouraging. When only 9.57% of the numbers were in, HTDAAB only had a 6,000 copies sold lead on "Encore". But now, that lead is over 40,000 copies, despite only 3% more data reported! So it'll be interesting to see how the numbers progress - especially tomorrow! :yes:

doctorwho said:
So it'll be interesting to see how the numbers progress - especially tomorrow! :yes:

From what I can remember from 2 and 4 years ago, the second day is usually a weaker day for U2. Not that it makes it any less fun... :)

C ya!

Marty

Actually, I believe that large store chains like Walmart and Best Buy report to HDD on Tuesday, which might be helpful due to low cost of the album there over the weekend.

doctorwho said:
It can't be any weaker - it's already 2:30 EST and only 12% of the data is in. ;)

I have a feeling the big numbers will come tomorrow. :yes:

Well, it seems as if they've just resumed working after their extensive lunch break. :) So we'll see. BTW, with the 2nd day being weaker for U2 I mean in relatively speaking compared to the other acts.

:D

Marty

155 K with 26 percent reporting.

I think it is safe to say we will get a No. 1 here in the states! WHEEEE!

1 U2 INTERSCOPE 155,567
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
5 2 SHANIA TWAIN MERCURY NASHVILLE 86,670
GREATEST HITS
8 3 NOW THAT WHAT I CALL MUSIC! V.17 CAPITOL 83,892
VARIOUS
7 4 TOBY KEITH DREAMWORKS NASHVILLE 79,664
GREATEST HITS 2
1 5 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 79,165
ENCORE

I'm sure much too early but Eminem fell to no.5....

This is like watching election results...but hopefully THESE results aren't rigged....

Last edited:
I wouldnt' be surprised at a 800K opening. Our Circuit City & Target sold out of all versions of the album on Friday in Phoenix!

ladywithspinninghead said:
1 U2 INTERSCOPE 155,567
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
5 2 SHANIA TWAIN MERCURY NASHVILLE 86,670
GREATEST HITS
8 3 NOW THAT WHAT I CALL MUSIC! V.17 CAPITOL 83,892
VARIOUS
7 4 TOBY KEITH DREAMWORKS NASHVILLE 79,664
GREATEST HITS 2
1 5 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 79,165
ENCORE

I'm sure much too early but Eminem fell to no.5....

This is like watching election results...but hopefully THESE results aren't rigged....

I thought the same thing...I'm having flashbacks to Nov. 2nd & 3rd!

And I spoke to someone about an hour ago who went to buy the "Bomb" at a Best Buy in NJ on Friday, and learned all the copies in the store had been sold by 9:30 that morning! She went to a couple of Best Buys and had no luck finding it.

It looks like U2 may of missed out on some sales due to the fact that all of these stores were selling out of the disc. It may not make a huge difference but I could of put them over a million had they sent enough cds to the stores.

Adam22 said:
It looks like U2 may of missed out on some sales due to the fact that all of these stores were selling out of the disc. It may not make a huge difference but I could of put them over a million had they sent enough cds to the stores.

If true, this could help HTDAAB have a very strong second week - which could keep the album at #1!! That's even better than selling 1M copies in one week! I'll take sales of 800,000 copies its first week if it means two weeks (or more) at #1 on the charts!

Admittedly, this goes against what I normally write - that sales are the important thing, not the chart position. Still, if HTDAAB hits #1 and is able to hold it for a 2 or more weeks, this will be a huge feat for U2! In the SoundScan era, only "Zooropa" was able to be #1 for longer than a week. If HTDAAB is #1 for an amazing 3 weeks (highly unlikely, but one can dream), it would be the best chart showing since R&H!

Man, these stores that are selling out of the album should make some phone calls to Florida. I hate this state already, but it seems everywhere I go, the sales of this album look really soft here. Circuit City, Walmart and Kmart didn't even have the album in the front displays under the new releases. Best Buy had them out, but still hundreds left in the display. This state gets more lame every day. :mad:

womanfish said:
Man, these stores that are selling out of the album should make some phone calls to Florida. I hate this state already, but it seems everywhere I go, the sales of this album look really soft here. Circuit City, Walmart and Kmart didn't even have the album in the front displays under the new releases. Best Buy had them out, but still hundreds left in the display. This state gets more lame every day. :mad:

The best premium to Florida? Start the Tour from Miami,Florida...

Looks like it will be 800-825K

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

Estimate update:

BOMB BLOWING UP AT RETAIL: Look for Interscope's U2 album to debut at #1 easily tomorrow, with estimates of first-week sales )topping 800k and approaching 825k, thanks in large part to the ubiquitous iPod TV campaign. Eminem will fall to the #2 slot, falling to around 450k, with almost 2 million sold in a little over two weeks at retail, giving Jimmy Iovine's label the top two slots on the chart. Shania Twain's greatest hits should do around 375k, with a debuting Gwen Stefani, Destiny's Child and Toby Keith all hovering in the 300k range, giving UMG five of the top six titles on the chart. American Idol Fantasia's J/RMG bow is next up at around 250k in its first week, with Now 17 at 240k and Clay Aiken, Snoop Dogg and Lil Jon in the 200k range. Creed bows with 160-165k, while Jessica Simpson follows in the 150k area. Early returns look like the market is up some 20% over last week. If that number holds, we will be down a little over 10% vs the same week last year, marking the 11th straight week of being down vs last year’s number. That drags the total increase in sales for 2004 compared with last year to under 3%. (11/29p)topping 800k and approaching 825k

214K with 34.6% of the sales counted. Only another 8% counted since last update, but 88k sales added to last total

Eminem has moved up to number 2 with sales at 102k. With a 3rd of the sales counted, a huge lead in sales and Hits not a bad indicator, I think it is pretty safe to say :

U2's first number one album in the USA since POP, 1997. The boys have now had 6 albums hit number one in the U.S

Actually, with 34.62% of reports in and 214,667 copies sold, if this pace remains the same, the album will come in at around:

621,000. I hope tomorrow is a bigger day, because all the hype had me thinking closer to 1 million. But my initial estimate several weeks ago was a little over 600,000 so this would match up nicely. If the album breaks the 750,000 mark it will indeed be U2's biggest opening week ever Soundscan and pre-Soundscan era, with the possible exception of Rattle And Hum.

are these % out of number of albums sold or % of distributors that have reported their sales?:confused:

STING2 said:
Actually, with 34.62% of reports in and 214,667 copies sold, if this pace remains the same, the album will come in at around:

621,000. I hope tomorrow is a bigger day, because all the hype had me thinking closer to 1 million. But my initial estimate several weeks ago was a little over 600,000 so this would match up nicely. If the album breaks the 750,000 mark it will indeed be U2's biggest opening week ever Soundscan and pre-Soundscan era, with the possible exception of Rattle And Hum.

But Sting2, you know as well as I do that even though 34% of the stores have reported, this doesn't mean it's 34% of the sales. That is, a store like Best Buy might account for 10% of the the reporting, but it could mean 200,000 copies of HTDAAB sold!

Of course, by the end of Tuesday, we'll know and all of this will be moot.

I don't believe we should extrapolate.

I know definitely that Target and Walmart both report sales on Tuesday and I am 98% confident that so does Best Buy. These places had the CD on sale this past weekend and could more than make up the difference on their own.

Ha ha....Lady.. you took the words right out of my mouth...this IS like watching election results and only the thought of U2 whomping Em's scraggly pretty boy Aryan a#% out of the #1 spot makes this fun.

(Sorry Em fans...I'm NOT an Em fan by along shot..I used to like a him but now can't stand him...LONG story...)

People will say "the iPod ad" up to their ears..but the fact is, if the song itself hadn't been good, nobody would buy it. You could play "twinkle twinkle little star" in an iPod commercial and everyobdy would go, "Colassal Yawn."

I hope you guys are right about how the Cd could actually have sold more if more copies had been ordered. People expected U2 to dow ell with the ad, but not to have them doing Em or Britney numbers. As they say in HOllywood..it;s actually the 2nd week that counts....

:wink:

Maybe Fox News should extrapolate now, since that what it seems they did last night to come up with the numbers in their article.

Well, well, if 51.73% means half the figures and they already have 495,000 albums sold that means that they will be really close to a million, right? (or maybe it is that 51.73% of the data does not correlate to 51.73% of the sales?).

Pablo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom