Hit single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter_The_Roman

The Fly
Question for all of you: Do you think that SOI Will produce a hit single that will get U2 back on radio again? Will anything on this album even come close to being a "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" ??

Thanks

I think the days of u2 dominating the radio stations are gone regardless of what they release.

Certain stations will always play u2 songs.

My local station played beautiful day today and didnt even mention anything about the new album

Ebw is stunning. This is truley their best shot since beautiful day. I'm not 100 confident it will happen on radio though...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think most radio stations will ignore this one big time. I think Every Breaking Wave will get some airplay, though.

Nope. Something like EBW will be an interesting test, but I just don't think U2 can get the airplay anymore, and even if they did... not sure it can translate to a 'hit' for them. They'll still kill it at touring, because they are one of those 'event' bands you have to see, but I think their days of immediate relevance are over.

Under the right circumstances, I think "Every Breaking Wave" has a chance. It would be a "With or Without You" style hit single, not one with gimmicky guitar riffs in the vein of "Vertigo" or "GOYB."

If this album has legs until next year, I could also see "California" being a popular summer jam if it was released as a single in late May.

I see no potencial. But... if there is one that could hit some air play is the one most of the people are hating: SONG FOR SOMEONE, is probably the most commercial. like crazy tonite did in 2009-2010.

I found myself humming a beautiful melody today, and realized I was humming the chorus to 'The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)': "I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred / Heard a song that made some sense out of the world / Everything I ever lost, now has been returned / The most beautiful sound I'd ever heard". I just wish it didn't get bogged down with some of those 'Stand Up Comedy' type filler verses. But I do love the chorus. It's one of those tunes that gets you out of bed in the morning….

'Every Breaking Wave' is about as perfect as a song could be, 'California' is pretty special too. Either one would totally outclass 99% of what gets played on the radio today. Same could be said for 'song for someone' & 'volcano' even.

Well its actually almost impossible because the songs are free. Downloads of songs are a huge chunk towards the Billboard singles charts, none of these will count. Plus, everyone is getting the full album anyway, so wouldn't be downloading the songs anyway.

Maybe streaming/radio will make up for it a bit, but unlikely. Looks like some are getting airplay though - The Miracle, Song for Someone, and The Troubles i've seen on some radio playlists.

California will be a single at some point... it's the 3rd track on an album

Known that they always place their strongest song in this position

Wont the radio be able to just pick and choose what tracks they want to play considering the albums free?

Many possible single here..... no song will dominate the charts, however they have at least 5-6 choices:

- California
- Volcano
- EBW
- The Miracle
- Raised by Wolves (would be a risky but great move)
- The Troubles (beautiful haunting song)

My favourite song Iris would not be a good choice, too personal I guess.

Has anybody heard any new music on the radio yet?

I havent as yet and ive had bbc radio 2 on all day and there normanly all over any new u2 stuff

There are two better singles than Miracle. California - it's the best pop they've done in a long while - and the rocker Volcano.

EBW and Song for Someone just try too hard.

Holy shit, I actually agree with U2Girl on something. ;)

Honestly, I think Invisible should have been not only on the album, but the lead-off single from it.

#ifwisheswerehorses

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom