Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found this on the web while searching for a hamster picture. It's hilarious.

The Hamster Story

If you have raised kids, and gone through the pet syndrome including toilet-flush burials for dead goldfish, the story below will have you laughing out LOUD!!! Overview: I had to take my son's hamster to the vet. Here's what happened:

Just after dinner one night, my son came up to tell me there was "something wrong" with one of the two hamsters he holds prisoner in his room.

"He's just lying there looking sick," he told me.

"Oldest trick in the book, son," I informed him. "You go in to see what's wrong with the sick one and the other one sneaks up behind you and bonks you on the head. Then they change into your clothes and escape."

"I'm serious, Dad. Can you help?"

I put my best hamster-healer expression on my face and followed him into his bedroom. One of the little rodents was indeed lying on his back, looking distressed. I immediately knew what to do. Call the professional.

"Honey," I called, "come look at the hamster!"

"Oh my gosh," my wife diagnosed after a minute. "She's having babies."

"What?" my son demanded. "But their names are Bert and Ernie, Mom!"

I was equally outraged. "Hey, how can that be? I thought we said we didn't want them to reproduce," I accused my wife.

"Well, what did you want me to do, post a sign in their cage?" she inquired. (I actually think she said this sarcastically!)

"No, but you were supposed to get two boys!" I reminded her, (in my most loving, calm, sweet voice).

"Yeah, Bert and Ernie!" my son agreed.

"Well, it's just a little hard to tell on some guys," she informed me. (Again with the sarcasm, you think?)

By now the rest of the family had gathered to see what was going on. I shrugged, deciding to make the best of it. "Kids, this is going to be a wondrous experience!" I announced. "We're about to witness the miracle of birth."

"OH, Gross!" they shrieked.

"Well, isn't THAT just Great!" what are we going to do with a litter of tiny little hamster babies?" my wife wanted to know. (I really do think she was being snotty here, too. Don't you?)

"Well, when my parents' dogs had puppies, I took them up to the grocery store in a cardboard box and gave them away," I recalled.

"So what are you going to do, go up with a pair of tweezers so people can pick out their hamster?" she asked. (Gotta love her!)

We peered at the patient. After much struggling, what looked like a tiny foot would appear briefly, vanishing a scant second later.

"We don't appear to be making much progress," I noted.

"A breech birth," my wife whispered, horrified.

"Do something, Dad!" my son urged.

"Okay, okay." Squeamishly, I reached in and grabbed the foot when it next appeared, giving it a gingerly tug. It disappeared. I tried again, with the same results.

"Should I dial 911?" my eldest daughter wanted to know. "Maybe they could talk us through the trauma." (You see a pattern here with my females?)

"Let's get Ernie to the vet," I said grimly.

We drove to the vet with my son holding the cage in his lap. "Breathe, Ernie, breathe," he urged.

"I don't think hamsters do Lamaze," his mother noted to him. (Women can be so cruel to their own young. I mean what she does to me is one thing, but this boy is "of her womb", for God's sake.)

The vet took Ernie back to the examining room and peered at the little animal through a agnifying glass.

"What do you think, Doc, an epidermal?" I suggested scientifically.

"Oh, very interesting," he murmured. "Mr. and Mrs. Cameron, may I speak to you privately for a moment?" I gulped, nodding for my son to step outside.

"Is Ernie going to be okay?" my wife asked.

"Oh, perfectly," the vet assured us. "This hamster is not in labor. In fact, that isn't EVER going to happen... Ernie is a boy."

"What!?"

"You see, Ernie is a young male. And occasionally, as they come into maturity, male hamsters will, master, er, er, ah..." He blushed, glancing at my wife.

"Well, you know what I'm saying, Mr. Cameron."

We were silent, absorbing this. "So Ernie's just ... just...Excited?" my wife offered.

"Exactly," the vet replied, relieved that we understood. More silence.

Then my viscos, cruel woman started to giggle. And giggle. And then even laugh loudly.

What's so funny?" I demanded, knowing, but not believing that the woman I married would commit the upcoming affront to my flawless Manliness.

Tears were now running down her face. "Just ... that ... I'm picturing you pulling on its ... its ... teeny little ... " she gasped for more air to bellow in laughter once more.

"That's enough," I warned. We thanked the Veterinarian and hurriedly bundled the hamsters and our son back into the car. He was glad everything was going to be okay.

"I know Ernie's really thankful for what you've done, Dad," he told me.

"Oh, you have NO idea," my wife agreed, collapsing into laughter as I gave her a dirty look. (And women have the gall to go though the marriage ceremony with a straight face!)

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any websites that offer coupons to any of the Island eateries or attractions? I am looking for coupons for the luau at the Royal Hawaiian hotel.

Carek1230 said:
There are some swanky places where a shirt tie and sport coat are required for men. :wink: If you plan to go to any of those places then sure, bring along good clothes. Personally, I prefer the places where you can wear the Aloha shirt and dockers or better yet shorts and still have as good a time :wink:

Well, not that fancy, I have a different definition of fancy, fancy means no jeans or t-shirts allowed.:wink:

hamster6.jpg

Ok, Hamsters are not as cute as bunnies, but pretty damn cute nonetheless :cute:

And Michelle babe, you're missing a bit of a party :drunk: :sexywink:

Carek1230 said:
Does anyone know of any websites that offer coupons to any of the Island eateries or attractions? I am looking for coupons for the luau at the Royal Hawaiian hotel.

Here is a website where you can order the Hawaii "Gold Card". It lists the participating activities, shopping, and restaurant discounts so you can see if it would save you money.

http://www.goldcard.hawaiifun.org/

[:der: quoted wrong post!]

Last edited:
Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it ...from the @u2 site today.

"According to industry sources, the onsale date for the April 9th Hawaiian show is tentatively February 6. Radio stations in Hawaii are gearing up for a "win them before you buy them" promotion in preparation for the ticket sale. More news as it becomes available."

http://atu2.blogspot.com/2006/01/latest-update-on-2nd-hawaiian-show.html

Obviously cool if the second show finally is reality, but having the ticket onsale on a Monday?

Good point. I'm just spoiled and used to weekends. And then I wouldn't have to worry about my employer wondering what I'm up to...

weinerdog said:

"According to industry sources, the onsale date for the April 9th Hawaiian show is tentatively February 6. Radio stations in Hawaii are gearing up for a "win them before you buy them" promotion in preparation for the ticket sale. More news as it becomes available."

Obviously cool if the second show finally is reality, but having the ticket onsale on a Monday?

:ohmy:

:dancing:

Thanks weinerdog, ^ that had not been posted here yet!

Woohoo!

Ticket onsale on Monday.
Even better.
I'm all for it!
:up:
Every day of the week would work for me.
As long as it's not on Saturday again.

weinerdog said:

I posted this earlier today around 11am or so, but it needed to be said again.:lol:

ETA page 22 of this thread

That's why I like the Yahoo page for posting trip info or interesting websites. You can't miss it, it stays in the one spot. I love the thread here but it's hard to catch up sometimes.:D

are there any whale watching/tours in April, or have they all migrated in February/winter? I was in Maui/Hawaii 16 years ago in February, and we went on a whale watching boat ride/cruise (whatever you call it). Just curious if any of the Hawaiians here know...

weinerdog said:
Good point. I'm just spoiled and used to weekends. And then I wouldn't have to worry about my employer wondering what I'm up to...

:giggle: Yep I remember a couple times last year when I had to talk my way out of work to run home to be online trying for tickets, and one time I was late for a meeting cuz I was online trying for tickets and NOTHING was going to stop me! I can hope that doesn't happen again, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, ya know?!!

Miringeltje said:
Did some searching and :yes: there are whale watching tours/cruises in April. Some are done till April 15th, others till April 30th.

And some say guaranteed sighting of a whale or you get another trip free! :ohmy: I would LOVE to go whale watching! That is on my list of things to do in my lifetime, to see a whale up close.

^We have tons of whale watching in Newfoundland, it's where they bring there babies to feed in the Atlantic. Lotsa humpbacks, before I left I went on tour and saw a mother and her calf. It is truly a humbling experience to stare into the eye of a whale. They are my favourite animals.

Hopefully, you will get a chance this time, Carek.

Carek1230 said:
And some say guaranteed sighting of a whale or you get another trip free! :ohmy:

That's GREAT!

And you know what else is great.
I checked my mailbox.
And my GA tickets have arrived!!

Did anyone else receive theirs today?

Last edited:
I thought I heard someone say tickets were being printed and mailed for those who purchased at the general sale, and that presale tickets would be printed and mailed after that. :shrug:

One thing that's been pissing me off about Hawaii is how everyone says it's so laid back and how we should enjoy the laid back atmosphere, well, I have to rush around to take in all that laid backness. It's going to be so stressful trying to do everything I want to do in one week.:yikes:

I was also thinking how nice it must be not to be huge U2 fan and not have the stress of worrying about getting tickets, getting in line, getting a good spot, etc. At times it's more stressful than work. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom