Hardcore fans who say newer albums suck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes its just too easy to pass up

767574_917639_thumb.gif

corianderstem said:
Fools, all of you! Only I know what constitutes a true fan.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

:bow: Oh great one! Please tell us, for then we can end this discussion! Once, and for ALL!:bow:

an_cat said:

:bow: Oh great one! Please tell us, for then we can end this discussion! Once, and for ALL!:bow:

It sure would end the discussion once and for all as we would all be dead. :)

Then again that might make it a nicer place. :wink:

Oh come on, catlhere, this whole "Interference is filled with cliques" thing is starting to get very boring. You sound like U2kitten. And I really don't buy your statement that you love every single U2 song. There's no way a band could satisfy a person utterly and completely. Most fans of ANY band, not just U2, will have songs by the band that they don't enjoy at all. Unless, of course, they have some sort of irrational obsession the band and are unable to recognise a flaw when it's so blatantly there.

GibsonGirl said:
Oh come on, catlhere, this whole "Interference is filled with cliques" thing is starting to get very boring. You sound like U2kitten. And I really don't buy your statement that you love every single U2 song. There's no way a band could satisfy a person utterly and completely. Most fans of ANY band, not just U2, will have songs by the band that they don't enjoy at all. Unless, of course, they have some sort of irrational obsession the band and are unable to recognise a flaw when it's so blatantly there.

I agree with you about the songs, but I think you are turning an intentionally blind eye to the cliques here. They do exist (and they exist here), just as songs you don't like by bands you do like exist.

Oh, I'm not denying the presence of the cliques. I know they exist. I mean, I suppose you could say I'm in one (even though it didn't originate in Interference - it sort of just transferred over from another site :wink:.) Cliques are perfectly natural as well. We all have our own groups of friends offline just as we do online. However, constantly mentioning Interference's cliques in a negative light, as catlhere and others do, does tend to get a little exasperating. "Clique" seems to have a nasty connotation in these parts.

I'm sticking my nose in here to say I agree with you GG.

Why does a clique necessarily have to be a bad thing?

To me, my "clique" is my group of friends.

A) I never said I loved all songs, I say I don't "hate" any, which is true.

B) I would think negative connotations are a result of the actions put forth by the cliques towards people they disagree with. i.e. the sheep banner, i.e. The "REAL" sing with me thread (i wonder if the original would be REAL if the cliques here participated in it) . It's just a big ego stroker for some people that ends up letting certain fans look down at others. Hence the bad light.

Hearing that someone is foolish or unallowed to love U2's decisions that another fan may not, while criticising and/or making fun of them is perfectly "normal" and "rational" gets a little exasperating...

Last edited:
the REAL sing with me thread is a clique?!?!?!?!

not only that, but a clique that puts a negative connotation on the word clique?!?!?!

what the hell

the reason its called the REAL sing with me game is because people are reallllly singing, rather than typing the lyrics

not because any certain type of poster posts in there :huh:

i think you might be taking some things the wrong way, i really have no idea how that thread "ends up letting certain fans look down at others"

Last edited:
theu2fly said:

Sorry for not clarifying my statement more.

Jesus you're SERIOUS? I thought your first post was a joke.

Even clarified, your statement is naive, juvenile, ignorant, and completely unfounded.

It just doesn't make any sense.

catlhere said:
A) I never said I loved all songs, I say I don't "hate" any, which is true.

Now there's a head scratcher. Not hating any U2 songs is the equivalent of liking all U2 songs. Don't know why you called me out on that, because you just went and proved it yourself.

B) I would think negative connotations are a result of the actions put forth by the cliques towards people they disagree with. i.e. the sheep banner, i.e. The "REAL" sing with me thread (i wonder if the original would be REAL if the cliques here participated in it) . It's just a big ego stroker for some people that ends up letting certain fans look down at others. Hence the bad light.

Hmm? That "sheep banner" was made by me. My friends had nothing to do with it. You can't pin it on the clique. The "real sing with me" thread has absolutely nothing to do with cliques either.

Hearing that someone is foolish or unallowed to love U2's decisions that another fan may not, while criticising and/or making fun of them is perfectly "normal" and "rational" gets a little exasperating...

You're allowed to worship U2's every move if you want to. No-one's stopping you. That banner I made wasn't made for people who simply like all of U2's songs. It was made for people who think that in order to be a "TRUE" fan, you have to dribble over every single thing the band has ever put out. It was made for people who firmly believe that U2 are the best musicians on earth. It was made for people who refuse to even acknowledge that there may in fact be bands out there who are technically (from a musical perspective) better than the band members of U2. Those people are sheep, like it or not.

Chizip said:
the REAL sing with me thread is a clique?!?!?!?!

not only that, but a clique that puts a negative connotation on the word clique?!?!?!

what the hell
I didn't say the thread is a clique. I said that actions can give a negative light. So is the other thread the "FAKE" sing thread? or the joke one? Or what about when you posted in the name game thread just to ask "why?" It's a game, it's supposed to just be a goofy thing to do to pass the time or get a few more posts, thats why. You do your "REAL" sing thread because its fun to you right? So whats the difference? is it because one is better to some people and the other is boring? You may not say that's why you made it, or that it's how anyone feels, but it's kinda funny that some people participating in that, dont participate in any of the other games. thats the whole point im trying to make. I'm not badmouthing the thread, just pointing out things that may be garnering negativite light.

catlhere said:
I didn't say the thread is a clique. I said that actions can give a negative light. So is the other thread the "FAKE" sing thread? or the joke one? Or what about when you posted in the name game thread just to ask "why?" It's a game, it's supposed to just be a goofy thing to do to pass the time or get a few more posts, thats why. You do your "REAL" sing thread because its fun to you right? So whats the difference? is it because one is better to some people and the other is boring? You may not say that's why you made it, or that it's how anyone feels, but it's kinda funny that some people participating in that, dont participate in any of the other games. thats the whole point im trying to make. I'm not badmouthing the thread, just pointing out things that may be garnering negativite light.

The reason why it's the REAL sing with me thread is because, gasp, people are actually SINGING on it. Not just typing out the lyrics, which the other threads are.

GibsonGirl said:
Now there's a head scratcher. Not hating any U2 songs is the equivalent of liking all U2 songs. Don't know why you called me out on that, because you just went and proved it yourself.

You're allowed to worship U2's every move if you want to. No-one's stopping you. That banner I made wasn't made for people who simply like all of U2's songs. It was made for people who think that in order to be a "TRUE" fan, you have to dribble over every single thing the band has ever put out. It was made for people who firmly believe that U2 are the best musicians on earth. It was made for people who refuse to even acknowledge that there may in fact be bands out there who are technically (from a musical perspective) better than the band members of U2. Those people are sheep, like it or not.
just because I dont hate a song doesn't mean I like or love it. It just means I don't have any preference to the song. Like i dunno, something random like Twilight or whatever. I dont hate the song, and I don't love it. It's just a song thats there. No opinion on it, it's ok is fine. In the Middle.

I'm definitely not saying sheep are "true" u2 fans, and I agree that they aren't. There can't just be a "true" fan of anything, its just impossible to make that type of judgement. I even said in my first post that i totally disagree with the original poster. No one is the best fan just because they love EVERYTHING. I agree. I was just pointing out that there's no need to poke fun at the sheep or label people. But if it's humerous, like your banner was, then It's ok to poke fun at the anti-sheep too. Thus, my banner. I'm just trying to defend the "sheep" or fans that may be criticised or laughed at, and provide equal points and criticism towards the other side. :shrug:

what does me asking why a game that has listed the same songs over and over again over 23,000 times is fun have anything to do with cliques? i was honestly just curious as to what enjoyment people got out of listing the same songs endlessly.

but i guess i found my answer

or get a few more posts, thats why

personally i dont know why people play games just to get more posts, seems kind of pointless to me, who cares how many posts anybody has?

and maybe the reason people like playing the REAL sing with me game and none of the others is because people are actually doing something fun rather than just listing things to get their post count up :shrug:

I'd say clique is "nasty" when it acts in a certain way around here, I think people know what I mean. It has nothing to do with just being friends with people on a site. It goes beyond that. I couldn't care less about the groups of friends here, just don't use that as an excuse for certain behavior and/or defend your friends for behavior around here that isn't appropriate or join in on it. Don't gang up on people, stuff like that. Like it has been said, there are/have been some nasty cliques here. I finished hs quite some time ago, and when stuff like that happens it's like that all over again. Some people might enjoy that (and some people here really seem to), I don't :shrug: I pick and choose what I want to do here and avoid/ignore the rest, but when it gets really childish and nasty it's tough to ignore. I'm not the only one who feels that way either.

I seem to remember many people said during the US tour that you weren't a "true fan" if you didn't want to camp out overnight or for days in a GA line or obsess about being up front at every show-many people seemed to think it was ok to define a true fan in that way. That's a bunch of bs just as any other way of defining a fan is.

Chizip said:
personally i dont know why people play games just to get more posts, seems kind of pointless to me, who cares how many posts anybody has?

and maybe the reason people like playing the REAL sing with me game and none of the others is because people are actually doing something fun rather than just listing things to get their post count up :shrug:
Maybe some people play the other games because they are fun to them though? Just because it's pointless to you doesn't mean it's pointless to all. Some people may also just be looking for a boredom killer, or just something to fool around with and have fun, not just to get more posts. I was mentioning posts as another factor to why people may play the games, not the only factor. This is what i'm pointing out with my posts. "people are actually having fun"? But people have fun in other "pointless" threads and games like the name game, so why are those any worse? I just don't get that one game should be discarded as lame, while another game is praised. Games are games. Thats like saying well, why do you play Xbox, PS3 is actually fun. Wait huh? Xbox is fun too, people just have different ideas of fun. At least I think so.

Oy. Why does there have to be so much friggin' drama on an internet message board??? :huh:

The best is when every few months there's a post from some dramatic person saying something like, "Oh, farewell, evil message board! This place has changed. It used to be so wonderful, and now it's filled with cliques, mean people, and evil mods. <insert person trying to convey a deep moral message> I still love some of the people here, but it's the few who are jerks who've caused me to leave forever, or until this place changes." :end-generic-dramatic-post:

:rolleyes:

catlhere said:
Maybe some people play the other games because they are fun to them though? Just because it's pointless to you doesn't mean it's pointless to all. Some people may also just be looking for a boredom killer, or just something to fool around with and have fun, not just to get more posts. I was mentioning posts as another factor to why people may play the games, not the only factor. This is what i'm pointing out with my posts. "people are actually having fun"? But people have fun in other "pointless" threads and games like the name game, so why are those any worse? I just don't get that one game should be discarded as lame, while another game is praised. Games are games. Thats like saying well, why do you play Xbox, PS3 is actually fun. Wait huh? Xbox is fun too, people just have different ideas of fun. At least I think so.

but like i said before, i didnt call the REAL sing with me game the REAL sing with me gamer because the other one was lame, I only called it that because people are REALLY singing.

and i never have said the other games were lame, i just asked why people thought the name game was fun, because i thought maybe i was missing something.

Well I don't like the drama either, but once in a while I just like to express my opinion about this place and certain issues surrounding it- considering the fact that so many others here are constantly expressing their opinions about it and sometimes not in a very pleasant way.

Same here MrsSpringsteen. I wasn't even trying to cause the typical intarweb drama that message boards always seem to have. Really I was just trying to speak for the happy love-all u2 fans that kinda get made fun of for being giddy and nice to u2 about everything. I just don't like anyone to feel ashamed or like they are less of a fan for any reason. It was bugging me for a while and I figured since lots of people rag on certain types of fans, I wanted to put my "2 cents" out there too.

I guess there's no point to these discussions though. :lol:
Seriousbusiness2.jpg

catlhere said:
You may not say that's why you made it, or that it's how anyone feels, but it's kinda funny that some people participating in that, dont participate in any of the other games. thats the whole point im trying to make. I'm not badmouthing the thread, just pointing out things that may be garnering negativite light.

Come on - "The "REAL" sing with me thread" is the American Idol of this forum. Anyone can sing in it, it's fun to participate in, and to listen to. More people also watch American Idol than most other shows.

Now there's a head scratcher. Not hating any U2 songs is the equivalent of liking all U2 songs.

I humbly disagree.

I don't hate any U2 songs, but that does not mean I like all U2 songs. Some just aren't my thing...but I don't hate them. Hate is a pretty strong word.

Why does a clique necessarily have to be a bad thing?

To me, my "clique" is my group of friends

Cliques/groups of friends aren't a bad thing at all. It's how you act when you're with that group of friends that makes it bad.

I have been on this site for a while now--a member for a long time, but only posting for about 18 months--and I'm a lurker, mostly. I lurk here and there, reading what people have to say and how they say it. There's nothing wrong with having groups of friends here; in fact, I think it's a testament to U2 that they've been behind the creation of many friendships. But when you put a group of people together, sometimes they have a tendency to act negatively towards others. It's an interesting phenomenon to me--how people who claim to be fans of a band that promotes peace and love can turn around and be so mean and hateful to fellow fans. I'm not pointing fingers at this particular site; it's everywhere on every U2 site (and every website with a message board, no doubt), but there are certain people who enjoy putting others down for whatever reason. They get a thrill out of being condescending. It's just how they are.

As far as the "REAL" thread--personally, I thought the title meant "real" vs. "fake" too. You can't always tell what people mean on the internet. It was just a misunderstanding and unfortunately there's a lot of that here.

:shrug: Ah, well. What can you do? At the end of the day, this is just another website. Life is so much bigger than this place, thank God.

I don't know why people give these troll threads the time of day.

Melon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom