Hardcore fans who say newer albums suck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
by saying that one needs to like all of U2s songs in order to be a true fan is enough to just flat out say that someone needs to attend at minimum one U2 show to be called a U2 fan.. :rolleyes:

fortunately for me, I meet that requirement. :happy:

:|

catlhere said:
While I strongly disagree with what the thread starter suggests, this makes me want to say something that's been bothering me for a while. I think the banner should more be like this...
peeon_U2.jpg

I feel that the whole "sheep" persecution is just out of hand in this forum in particular. There is a sense of condescension towards people that may not find fault in what U2 does. i'll go as far as to say their are signs I see here and there that if you aren't part of the "cliq" on this board, you're not really that important. This confuses me because I would think that it would be far better to be a sheep that likes everything U2 does than a arrogant bitter fan who's barely liked shit in the past 6 or so years. If someone is an unwavering fan of something, and is blind to see any flaws, then that is their business just as it is yours (anti-sheep police) to point out the flaws. What is not someone's business is telling the other how to enjoy their passion (in this case, U2) much less make fun of them for it. People have different levels of affection for U2. I like every one of their albums, I don't hate any songs, I like each member equally and I think they are the greatest band of all time. Thus, I can gladly say with no reservations, I am a sheep, and damn proud of it.

:exits before the anti-sheep police get him:

I kind of agree with you about the clique, however, people in both extremes are annoying, not just one. The people who feel U2 (can apply to any band too) can do no wrong can be every bit as annoying as those who hate certain eras or albums and won't just shut up and just not listen to what they don't like. The key isn't the like or dislike, it's the constant harping on the subject, whether it is "OMG!! They are the best at absolutely EVERYTHING!!!!!" or "They are suck donkey balls and everything since Pop makes me retch" and the inability to see any point of view other than their own.

indra said:

I kind of agree with you about the clique, however, people in both extremes are annoying, not just one. The people who feel U2 (can apply to any band too) can do no wrong can be every bit as annoying as those who hate certain eras or albums and won't just shut up and just not listen to what they don't like. The key isn't the like or dislike, it's the constant harping on the subject, whether it is "OMG!! They are the best at absolutely EVERYTHING!!!!!" or "They are suck donkey balls and everything since Pop makes me retch" and the inability to see any point of view other than their own.

Well said Indra.

I've also found "fans" who seem to essentially hate U2 a little confusing. I've also found fans who believe they can do no wrong to be a little annoying.

I don't know if this makes me a "true fan" or not, but I've always found that there is always one song by the artists I like the best that I just hate. I don't know why that is. But, in a way it seems like a good thing (not that I'm going to make it a "requirement" or something). It keeps the artists human, I guess.

For U2 it's probably "The Hands that Built America" with "Stuck in a Moment. . ." running a distant second.

For Rich Mullins, it's definitely this horrible misfortune known as "Higher Education (And the Book of Love)." A disaster.

I don't know about "true" or "not true" but those of you that can recognize songs by their initials are way ahead of me. Sometimes I see people talking about SYCMIOYO, for example, and I have to think for a moment, "what IS that?"

I guess that makes me not "true" or "false" but in that gray area, huh.

catlhere said:
While I strongly disagree with what the thread starter suggests, this makes me want to say something that's been bothering me for a while. I think the banner should more be like this...
peeon_U2.jpg

I feel that the whole "sheep" persecution is just out of hand in this forum in particular. There is a sense of condescension towards people that may not find fault in what U2 does. i'll go as far as to say their are signs I see here and there that if you aren't part of the "cliq" on this board, you're not really that important. This confuses me because I would think that it would be far better to be a sheep that likes everything U2 does than a arrogant bitter fan who's barely liked shit in the past 6 or so years. If someone is an unwavering fan of something, and is blind to see any flaws, then that is their business just as it is yours (anti-sheep police) to point out the flaws. What is not someone's business is telling the other how to enjoy their passion (in this case, U2) much less make fun of them for it. People have different levels of affection for U2. I like every one of their albums, I don't hate any songs, I like each member equally and I think they are the greatest band of all time. Thus, I can gladly say with no reservations, I am a sheep, and damn proud of it.

Agreed on all points :up:

maycocksean said:
I don't know if this makes me a "true fan" or not, but I've always found that there is always one song by the artists I like the best that I just hate. I don't know why that is. But, in a way it seems like a good thing (not that I'm going to make it a "requirement" or something). It keeps the artists human, I guess.

:yes: I call those "what were they thinking?! songs. I agree that every band needs that kind of song(s). I kind of enjoy these songs -- in a train-wreck kind of way. :wink:

I don't know about "true" or "not true" but those of you that can recognize songs by their initials are way ahead of me. Sometimes I see people talking about SYCMIOYO, for example, and I have to think for a moment, "what IS that?"

I guess that makes me not "true" or "false" but in that gray area, huh.

Yeah, I often have to think through the initials myself, especially with U2 songs. :huh: Apparently lots of us have that problem...which is why there is a list of U2 song acronyms in the Everything You Know Is Wrong forum. :)

As for "good" or "bad" U2 fan -- I "won" a mock contest as Interference's worst U2 fan a few months ago. :laugh: (it wasn't official or anything, it was just within a thread. But it was funny.)

theu2fly said:
Aren't real fans.

Any true fan of U2 appreciates any album the band puts out, despite the public's reaction.

I remember people saying All That You Can't Leave Behind was horrible. Granted I don't listen to it a lot now, but I did back then. I thought it was a great album full of great songs, really good work, same with Bomb.

Any true fan splurges over any newly released material.

FUCK YOU!

catlhere said:
peeon_U2.jpg

[/QUOTE

FUCK YOU!

catlhere said:
I think the banner should more be like this...
peeon_U2.jpg

I feel that the whole "sheep" persecution is just out of hand in this forum in particular. There is a sense of condescension towards people that may not find fault in what U2 does. i'll go as far as to say their are signs I see here and there that if you aren't part of the "cliq" on this board, you're not really that important.

:up: for that smiley, I think this paragraph applies well for the last two albums.

catlhere said:

This confuses me because I would think that it would be far better to be a sheep that likes everything U2 does than a arrogant bitter fan who's barely liked shit in the past 6 or so years. If someone is an unwavering fan of something, and is blind to see any flaws, then that is their business just as it is yours (anti-sheep police) to point out the flaws. What is not someone's business is telling the other how to enjoy their passion (in this case, U2) much less make fun of them for it. People have different levels of affection for U2. I like every one of their albums, I don't hate any songs, I like each member equally and I think they are the greatest band of all time. Thus, I can gladly say with no reservations, I am a sheep, and damn proud of it.

I will say I admire those who like all albums and all songs equally, I think that being able to accept all that U2 have done in their career shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. I can understand those who have preferences but it bothers me when someone rams their opinion down other people's throat (this includes the righteous marching all over the forum, making sure as many threads as possible include pot shots at the "worst albums ever") or belittles those that like the "shit" albums.

Last edited:
theu2fly said:
Aren't real fans.

Any true fan of U2 appreciates any album the band puts out, despite the public's reaction.

I remember people saying All That You Can't Leave Behind was horrible. Granted I don't listen to it a lot now, but I did back then. I thought it was a great album full of great songs, really good work, same with Bomb.

Any true fan splurges over any newly released material.

Nonsense

I dunno If you're being serious or not, but are you saying I HAVE to love everything U2 releases?

If that's the case, then I doubt there's a single true fan out there.

this thread is complete bollocks. how dare you say people aren't "True" fans if they don't like certain albums? I guess I'm no longer allowed to say U2's music changed my life simply because I don't say 'Pop' is a so-called "masterpiece" and am a little less than fond of 'How To...' than I am of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Piss off, you're stuck so far up yourself it's unbelievable...trying to say who are true fans of U2 and who aren't. Do you have any idea how pathetic and elitist you sound?

gareth brown said:
Piss off, you're stuck so far up yourself it's unbelievable...trying to say who are true fans of U2 and who aren't. Do you have any idea how pathetic and elitist you sound?

I'd tend to argue that elitist is saying everyone must think A is superior to B, D is superior to E, etc. (i.e. you aren't good enough unless you worship Pop and hate October), while insisting you can't be a true fan unless you like EVERYTHING is sheepish.

Whatever the case, the original post is simply unbelieveable. Does anyone seriously think that just because you hate Stuck In A Moment or Trip Through Your Wires or J. Swallow, you're not a true U2 fan?

I hate those people that really feel like they have to worship a band, if you don't like something they do then i think you should be honest about it and say. I however like everything they've done (so far). But those people also irritate me who like some u2 but really hate other albums. If you hate some of their music then how can you claim to be a fan, really?

kafrun said:
Any TRUE fan would love every single song they put out/have every single/know every b-side/go to
every concert/wait all night in line/never take a bathroom break/wait outside for an autograph/
travel to Dublin to see them/wait outside their houses/respect their privacy and stay the hell away/
own every DVD/have a 1029387232 post count on Interference/know Edge's show size/know Larry's brand of hair gel/
vote for them in every poll/never dance with Bono more than once/do everything in their power to
get onstage with Bono/know all Bono's One speeches by heart/own every piece of tour merchandise
ever made/build an online shrine to them listing the prerequisites for being a "true fan"/have I missed anything?

Don't you people know that? GOSH :|

I'm not sure whether I should admit to this, but I've done most of the things you listed! :reject: And some of them I've done more than once!! :evil:

partygirlvox said:
I hate those people that really feel like they have to worship a band, if you don't like something they do then i think you should be honest about it and say. I however like everything they've done (so far). But those people also irritate me who like some u2 but really hate other albums. If you hate some of their music then how can you claim to be a fan, really?

Is it just me, or did you just completely contradict yourself?

hang outside their houses/respect their privacy...
argh im going to dublin today WHICH DO I DO?!

Yeh now i reread that i did.
I suppose im trying to say i hate both extremes.
Sort of..

You're only a true fan if you take your laptop with the slane/boston/chicago dvd playing to the shitter.

:|

True fans are their parents,because their parents love everything their child makes.
We,on the other hand, aren't their parents, so we don't have to love everything they make. We just love some stuff they made and that's our common thing. Don't love everything, nobody's perfect.

Yeh my dad must be a true fan - taking me to buffalo on my birthday last year (i live in england!), and taking me to dublin today! a whole holiday of hanging round studios/bonavox/the clarence...hows he going to cope. (He doesnt actually like u2 that much - god he really is a great dad!)

catlhere said:
There is a sense of condescension towards people that may not find fault in what U2 does. i'll go as far as to say their are signs I see here and there that if you aren't part of the "cliq" on this board, you're not really that important.

Agree on what you said, and in particular what you said above. I also see sometimes that some people consider themselves bigger fans than others, based on something I have no idea of what is (number of posts?) I met some people like this during Elevation (not from interference), and THAT was really annoyng. Most of them were girls running around claiming to be Bonos favourite fan. That is more annoying than sheeps and/or bashers. (maybe not as annoyng as people who say "f**k you to others, kingofsorrow). But what you say here, catlhere, is actually true.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the ones that loved U2 in the beginning and then later on, despised their newer albums. I remember a few people say that All That You Can't... was bad, but you have to see those songs performed to get a feel for them. Such songs as New York take on specialier meaning when they are performed live.

Any U2 fan can say an album is bad, but it takes a lesser fan to say the albums suck. We can all find songs that we love, even if we don't like the album -- but by all means it doesn't suck. And it seems the thought here is if you don't agree with Bono, then you're not a fan. That's not true.

There's no such thing as a horrible album. It's only that people have been used to such memorable albums like Joshua Tree, War, Achtung Baby, that they think U2 will base their newer albums around. People think that instead of going forward with experimentation and sound, that they'd rather have U2 go back.

Sorry for not clarifying my statement more.

theu2fly said:

Any U2 fan can say an album is bad, but it takes a lesser fan to say the albums suck.

Again, this is your version of what is true. Let's take this analogy to another level, shall we?

I am a fan of the Chicago White Sox. I go to games, buy merchandise and follow the team closely, almost daily. When they are playing badly I say they suck. When the GM makes a bad move, I'll talk about it. When they have a bad season, I gripe about it. I guess I am not a true fan according to you. Frankly, I think that's total BS. I love my team and I want them to do well. Everyone has different definitions of what "doing well" is.

I will say this though. People who love everything a band/team does scares me. To me (this indicates that this is my opinion to all those who can't discern that by reading) that is cult-ish. (and like Cubs fans. :tongue: ) To those of you in this category, all I can say is keep drinkin the Kool-Aid man. :up:

This discussion reveals some of the irony of fandom. The biggest fans are often the harshest critics, and the casual fans are often the least judgmental (and most appreciative), but not always.

Perhaps this partially explains Paul McGuinness' decision to change the ellipse policy into a random selection (as discussed on the DVD).

Fools, all of you! Only I know what constitutes a true fan.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom