Hanover Quay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes Simon, your story was not too long for any of us :)

I think one of the Belgians you mentioned might have been Tina (the one from the zoo banner), I read in the Zoo that Edge took her banner inside so Larry can sign it (he's the only one who hasn't signed it yet)

I don't know any more details yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.. (maybe ^^gas panic has more info..?)

The_Edge89 Thanks for sharing your story on how you enjoyed Dunlin :D It was great to read :D Hopefully You will get get to meet them one day ;)

Hi,
I met Simon and his brother yesterday, and can confirm their story (as I was the English fan he refers to). A little later Edge also arrived (shortly after Simon and his brother arrived).
The group of fans met Dallas Schoo and Daniel Lanois earlier in the day, both of who were charming and happy to take photos.

Sam, I am afraid, is quite a rude guy most of the time - but quite different when the band are their in his presence. I think if the band were aware of how Sam speaks to the fans who are patiently waiting outside HQ, they may have a different perspective of him. Quite why he said "stalking" to us was quite incredible. Regretfully, I cannot say that he was having a bad day, as he has been the same in the past in attitude. He really is the only one in the "inner circle" like that.

nenril said:

I have nothing but highest respect for Sam and *surprise surprise* he CAN be nice. But first you need to prove you're normal.

Sam can be nice :yes: although as you say you have to earn it. When we waited outside HQ on Monday we didn't disturb his work, like taking in the deliveries etc, i only smiled at him when he looked our way. After the the boys had left he spoke to us, telling us that the there was no one inside, and that Bono & Adam wouldn't be around next day. He even took the gift & cards we had to Bono and said he'd make sure he got it.

I have heard stories of his rudenes at times but also i've seen him walk women to their cars at night, i was told by a girl he once said to her & her friend if they got scared by anything, anyone hassled them (late at night )ring the bell

Sam :heart:

I would actually disagree about Sam. I think he is actually influenced by peopel and situation. He also has to be one step ahead of everyone, trying to establish who is pulling a fast one, versus who is genuine. Let's face it, some out there would sell our souls to get that close :wink:

from personal experience, I have always found him to be kind and ameniable. I do however notice he changes if there are people there that are pushy and bordering on neurotic, he will cut you dead.

I noticed this a couple of times in the past, laterly on Monday night. If you stayed on the other side of the road and kept quite he was more than helpful, but if each time the door opened and you screamed like a Banshee, your card was marked :yes:

Sam does have a tough job, he is the goffer, he also feeds back who are the fruitcakes and who really can be trusted not to go insane the moment the band arrives.

Likewise with the band, said fruitake, will stop Larry even entertaining the idea of stopping for anyone, thus ruining it for everyone else :mad:

I wouldn't want Sam's job for all the tea in China, even if it meant I was part of the "Inner Sanctum"

^^Ya, I tend to agree with you there NENRIL.
Sam is just doing his job! :)

You can wait be respectful at a distance down the road without hanging around at the door all day.

I think it's off-putting especially if people have gotten a photo or autograph already.

Last edited:
WildHoney said:
. He even took the gift & cards we had to Bono and said he'd make sure he got it.

Well that was AFTER he threatened to eat all the chocolates first :lol: But Edge was a witness, so I am sure he will grass Sam up if he scoffs them :lol: :wink:

greety said:

I think one of the Belgians you mentioned might have been Tina (the one from the zoo banner), I read in the Zoo that Edge took her banner inside so Larry can sign it (he's the only one who hasn't signed it yet)

I'm pretty sure both Belgian fans were males, I'm afraid. Thanks for the comments everyone, it really was great just being there. I didn't expect to meet them beforehand even though I knew they were there and all that. I understand that this place is where they work and I wouldn't want to disturb them if they didn't come out of there by their own will. Respect is a very important thing to me to say the least.

I enjoyed your story Edge89. Thanks for sharing it. Sounds to me like Larry phoned ahead of his arrival and told Sam that he better get any and all fans away from the garage so that he can pull right in and shut the door, and Sam knew that he better do it ASAP!!

I see there is a conversation about Sam, I think generally he is very good person , He understands fans. I was a few times in HQ and always he was polite and even once he let me in HQ stairs -this time I could talk to Bono for a long time. There was many situation that band was not in the studio but people was waiting for - and then Sam came out and informed people that U2 have gone and they will be this day or another (he said ). Because of him I have great picture with Bono so I can't say anything bad about him, but it's not about this pictures it's about his kindness to people he is a kind of connection between fans and the band, he is a massenger. In my opinion nobody can replays him.

Attachments

• dublin_2008-04-03_044.jpg
    dublin_2008-04-03_044.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 85
Last year, when I was in Dublin, I had a conversation with Sam. He explained me some stuff about bringing out an album (how long it takes for the mixing, choosing the titels and the order of the songs, drawnings, etc.)
He was really nice to us!!

Some of the pictures I took in the area around HQ last week. These were taken on the 18th of April:

080418dublinwallsign.jpg

080418dublinmcguinness.jpg

080418dublincanaldocks.jpg

quastion

By the way - I got a quastion , Does anyone know If the band will be in hannover quay next week ?, thanks for any news.

The_Edge89 said:

I'm pretty sure both Belgian fans were males, I'm afraid. Thanks for the comments everyone, it really was great just being there. I didn't expect to meet them beforehand even though I knew they were there and all that. I understand that this place is where they work and I wouldn't want to disturb them if they didn't come out of there by their own will. Respect is a very important thing to me to say the least.

good post!

Tina was there on tuesday evening and wednesday.
Apparently on tuesday, Edge took the Zootopia banner home with him and he had it signed by Larry on wednesday.
So now the banner has been signed by all bandmembers :)

Tina hasn't reported back yet...

Someone else on zootopia who's been there many times lately, said Adam is on vacation and Bono is away on DATA business..

Anji said:

I noticed this a couple of times in the past, laterly on Monday night. If you stayed on the other side of the road and kept quite he was more than helpful, but if each time the door opened and you screamed like a Banshee, your card was marked :yes:

:yes: When i was there in February there was an Italian girl who made a beeline for Sam everytime he opened the door. God knows what she asked but at one point he was like "No, no, no"

Me and this guy stood next to me from Burmingham were like :eyebrow: :| WHAT is she doing. :lmao: He looked really annoyed with her. Hell we were annoyed with her. :lol:

We just kinda smiled and waved at him and other normal stuff. :lol:

bonoishot said:

:yes: When i was there in February there was an Italian girl who made a beeline for Sam everytime he opened the door. God knows what she asked but at one point he was like "No, no, no"

Me and this guy stood next to me from Burmingham were like :eyebrow: :| WHAT is she doing. :lmao: He looked really annoyed with her. Hell we were annoyed with her. :lol:

We just kinda smiled and waved at him and other normal stuff. :lol:

Wonder if it is the same Fruitcake? I mean Italian :wink: Jaysus she was OTT intense :crazy: If it wasn't Sam, it was Dallas she was shouting at :eyebrow:

Jeannieco said:
^^Ya, I tend to agree with you there NENRIL.
Sam is just doing his job! :)

You can wait be respectful at a distance down the road without hanging around at the door all day.

I think it's off-putting especially if people have gotten a photo or autograph already.

I agree with that last statement. I always think it is a bad idea to go back too frequently - like if you were there just a few weeks ago - because it seems a bit obsessive. Why would you want another autograph so soon? I know it's tempting, but these are the people whose faces they "clock" and who they are wary of. They must think it is weird.

In the early days of my U2 fandom, I went to Dublin and saw Bono several times in the space of a week (ah, it was bliss - the memories!!!)... I was all wrapped up in it all then. But now I am older and hopefully a little wiser, and I know better.... :)

JMHO

^^ya, they are so gracious to fans though it's really great how patient they are when they obviously recognize people over and over. IMO, I think I would be way too embarassed to be seen there over and over..., but that's just me.
I cracked up on one of these vids posted here when BOno yells... GO HOME!! He was laughing and nice about it, like it was a joke, but part of him must be like ... geez not again. :)

( I am referring to the obsessive stalker fan types, not us ofcourse! :) hahaha!! )

Of course :lol:

There *is* a fine line I think, and it is just knowing what that is. I am sure that they appreciate loyalty and might sometimes welcome a familiar face.... but a familiar face after a few months or a year, and not one they saw last week. :)

But I do know it is very subjective.... people feel differently and I *do* understand the fever, the excitement, and the need to go back. I really do. But I think people should just be careful.

Don't want to end up on a "list".... :no:

greety said:

good post!

Tina was there on tuesday evening and wednesday.
Apparently on tuesday, Edge took the Zootopia banner home with him and he had it signed by Larry on wednesday.
So now the banner has been signed by all bandmembers :)

Tina hasn't reported back yet...

Someone else on zootopia who's been there many times lately, said Adam is on vacation and Bono is away on DATA business..

The banner is signed by all 4 now.Check collectors thread at the zoo.

Nice story actually.

And I'll be 'stalkin' next week I think.

I don't like it when that word gets mentioned I'm just a joe bloggs U2 fan who wants an autograph,I was there last month when no band were present so i'm goin again.

And I'll probably stand there like a melon! for hours but if that's what it takes then so be it.

gibbo said:

The banner is signed by all 4 now.Check collectors thread at the zoo.

Nice story actually.

And I'll be 'stalkin' next week I think.

I don't like it when that word gets mentioned I'm just a joe bloggs U2 fan who wants an autograph,I was there last month when no band were present so i'm goin again.

And I'll probably stand there like a melon! for hours but if that's what it takes then so be it.

Good luck Gibbo!!! I am really hoping you get your chance this time!! Keep us posted here, and on the Zoo.

Jeannieco said:
^^If you take the River Liffey cruise you go right by it! :wink:

I did that on my birthday and then walked over to HQ and Windmill Lane. A beautiful day in Dublin! :)

is that the yellow submarine lookin thingy with wheels?

You mean the duck!!

Last time we went on the commentator said that a couple of days before Bono and Edge had come out on the balcony at the back of the studios and roared at the duck!!! That would have made a great photo!!

Back
Top Bottom