Hannover Quay 26/2/08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnysaint

Babyface
Ok, here we go with an account of yesterday, 26th Feb., probably the best day of my life concerning U2 aside from Slane II 2001 and Croke III 2005.
26 years I've waited for a photo with any member of U2 and yesterday I got 2 of them, the 'B' man himself and 'Lord' Adam Clayton. I've met them 3 times before over the years and got signatures but I 've never had the chance to shake their hand or ask for a photo with them, yesterday was different.

An early rise at 3.45am, 35 mile drive from Bolton to Liverpool Airport for the 6.30am flight to Dublin as I've done on four occassions over the last year trying to meet U2 with no luck. Into McDonalds at Dublin Airport for breakfast, then the bus into the City Centre for 9am prompt.
I wander round for 3-1/2 hours, the usual haunts, Temple bar, O'Connell Street, Grafton Street, HMV, Tower Records but my stomach was churning in anticipation of what was to come.
So at 12.30ish I set off on the ever familiar route to Hannover Quay passing the old Dockers pub and Windmill Lane on the way, a well trodden path for me over the years. Arrive at the studio at 1pm with just one solitary Italian girl outside waiting for the band, Dallas and Sam O'Sullivan are around sp we know something is going to happen, my stomach is in knots, is this right for a 44 year old man ?
At 2pm prompt the familiar sight of a dark blue Maserati in the distance, the studios garage doors open and Bono drives straight in. By now theres 6 of us waiting. 30 minutes later a silver Mercedes, the garage doors rise again and Adam drives in followed some 40 minutes late by Larry and Edge. Daniel Lanois is also mooching round the joint.
We wait and wait and wait until one of the fans from Dublin gives up hope at 4.30pm and reckons that its not going to happen today and he leaves. There's seven of us, its getting colder and the rain sets in and its windy. I'm seriously having major doubts now as to whether its ever going to happen I mean I waited at Abbey Road studios for 10 hours about 16 months ago when there was just 3 fans and they wouldn't sign anything, am I a bad luck omen ?
Then at approx. 5.15pm the front door opens an Bono is stood there all on his own beckoning us over. Is this happening ? He's out for about 6 minutes but it feels like a lifetime, I get the illusive pictures, he signs all my stuff and shakes my hand and thanks me for waiting in the cold and apologises for keeping us waiting !!!
10 minutes later Adam comes out and crosses the road to our side and goes about the same ritual as Bono, handshakes, photos and signatures, Adam is immaculately dressed and a real gentleman. We thank him for his time and he goes back in.
I'm totally gobsmacked, I can't really beleive this has happened after all the years. At approx 6pm , I 'float' back into Dublin am=nd catch the 747 bus to the airport. I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat. On the 22.45 flight back to Liverpool and back into Bolton at 00.30am for a day lasting nearly 21 hours but one that will live in my memory forever.
Hers the pics and the signed stuff, hope you enjoy them :

123_2392.jpg

123_2391.jpg

123_2390.jpg

26.jpg

Image030.jpg

123_2399.jpg

123_2398.jpg

123_2397.jpg

Congrats dude!
I'm completely adoring Adam's hair right now. and his jacket is pretty sweet.
And i love what Bono did to Edge on the October album.
so Edge and Larry didnt come out then/?

Many congratulations on your meeting!! Jonnysaint... you have just made my week as I was really panicking that they had left the studio;s last week!!!

Fingers crossed we have the same luck!!!

Lisa

That's quite an amazing story. You look familiar, like I've seen your photo around before. I love the pics, good job! Especially the doodling on Edge's face on the cover of October! What awesome keepsakes! :wink:

jonnysaint said:

26 years I've waited for a photo with any member of U2 and yesterday I got 2 of them, the 'B' man himself and 'Lord' Adam Clayton. I've met them 3 times before over the years and got signatures but I 've never had the chance to shake their hand or ask for a photo with them, yesterday was different.

Can I just say how I can relate to 26 years!!!!

Congratulations to you, your photos are fabulous! And the signatures too!

Bono and Adam are looking good!

:applaud: :applaud: :faint:

Wow congratulations! You`ve made me consider a day trip to Dublin now from Leicester............I had considered it before but thought that is crazy! Obviously it isn`t when it can be a successful trip.........:hmm: :hug:

Wow, so many fans meeting the band right now in Dublin. Great for you, congrats!

I love the pictures ... Bono's shades and hair are really cool.

Great report, jonnysaint. :)

And thanks for posting those pictures. :camera: I love bono's glasses.

Great photos and congratulations on meeting Bono and Adam I know what its like to wait all those years!!

Back
Top Bottom