Gymnastics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Any PLEBANS love gymnastics? Probably not, but it's worth a try.

If so, do you agree that the US will whoop on Russia and Romania in Athens? Gymnastics is such a political sport, it's great. According to us, the Cold War is never over, lol.

Anyway, if anyone cares, the US drew second round for the Olympics, which sucks b/c it's second round, but they're in the same round as Romania and the Ukraine. Russia has to go first.

verte76 said:
I love gymnastics! I haven't been following it lately, I don't know who's competing in the Olympics yet.

Don't worry, the Trials aren't till the end of June. They just completed the Olympic Test Event which means countries competing can send a few gymnasts to Athens and they have a meet on all the Olympic equipment. The results don't really matter, it's sort of like a practice Olympics, or scrimage if you will.

I'm a big gymnastics fan, too. But I haven't been following it lately. It isn't covered as much as it used to be (before Atlanta 1996), so I don't know who is the top gymnast around.

I don't know what to say about the team either. Is the USA team still good? I mean, they weren't good at all back in Sydney, have they gotten any better?

I can't wait for the Olympics. They're so exciting!

Pearl said:
I'm a big gymnastics fan, too. But I haven't been following it lately. It isn't covered as much as it used to be (before Atlanta 1996), so I don't know who is the top gymnast around.

I don't know what to say about the team either. Is the USA team still good? I mean, they weren't good at all back in Sydney, have they gotten any better?

I can't wait for the Olympics. They're so exciting!

Yeah they're doing well now for a few reasons:
1) The Us has a fresh team. The best gymnasts in the US even during Sydney were still juniors and ineligable to compete. Now they're all old enough.

2) the US now has national traning camps put on at the Karolyi ranch. Most other national teams all live and train together, but the US national team members are scattered at lots of different gyms with difference coaches. The training camps bring them all together to train hard under one coach.

3) Romania has been sucking large object lately. Honestly, I don't know why. Romania was always my favorite team but last year I didn't have time to follow them as much. Maybe their program has deteriorated so much that it's on its way out. Personally, I think that ever since Bela left for the States and much more so recently, they have a tendancy to burn out their girls before they even are seniors. A lot of them win the junior competitions, but they get seriously injured or just quit. Romania has gone through so many gymnasts in the last few years I can't even keep them straight or begin to learn their skills and routines.

:wave:

i'm so lost in gymastics these days...but it's still my favorite sport to watch (along with soccer...heh)...

did my jordan jochev ever get married? how about krasimer? lmao...

Back
Top Bottom