Guitar Hero and U2: Two Great Tastes That Go Great Together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The GTA comparison was really bad. We all know murdering and robbing people is not something you should do in real life.

Hence the :wink: smiley...I was being tongue in cheek by using an extreme example.

Guitar Hero is a fun game. But to people who play real instruments, rabid Guitar Hero players are pathetic, plain and simple.

Not all people who play real instruments feel that way. I know people who love playing regular guitar and enjoy Guitar Hero a lot as well.

Who cares if it's fun? If you hung out on your computer in your bedroom and posted on Interference 24/7, you'd be labeled a loser as well by people who, you know, have lives.

So...because other people label you a loser, it doesn't matter if something is fun?

[Note: I didn't personally call you or anyone here a loser, because I don't know your online habits.]

Nice save.

That said, if the Edge played this game, I bet he'd never get off easy mode, even if he played it nonstop for the next 30 years.

Well, seeing as how playing guitar on Guitar Hero is quite different from playing real guitar, that is a possibility.

Guitar Hero is a fun game. But to people who play real instruments, rabid Guitar Hero players are pathetic, plain and simple. Who cares if it's fun?

You ever notice that no one ever applies this argument to Madden? It's a simulation of a real activity, yet jocks seem to enjoy it as much as those who don't play football. Weird.

Guitar Hero is a fun game. But to people who play real instruments, rabid Guitar Hero players are pathetic, plain and simple. Who cares if it's fun? If you hung out on your computer in your bedroom and posted on Interference 24/7, you'd be labeled a loser as well by people who, you know, have lives.

Speak for yourself here, not for all musicians in general.
While I do enjoy playing guitar, I also enjoyed playing GH with my friend because we had fun. It's NOTHING like playing a real guitar, and you should NOT see it that way. That is the big difference.
Guitar hero is a game, it's not a guitar nor should be seen as a substitute for it. It's just a game! Loosely based on reality, but it's just a game.

And have you ever played it? On expert mode it's NOT plain NOR simple at all.

The GTA comparison was really bad. We all know murdering and robbing people is not something you should do in real life.

What? Great, now you tell me - after I just knocked off some, uh, "women of the evening". I just assumed that's what one did to them based on GTA. I also robbed a few 7-11's on the way home. "Thank you and come again!" :wave:

Personally, I'd rather see "Rock Band" than "Guitar Hero". U2 is definitely more about the whole band - especially vocals - than just the guitar. That said, I'm not sure I could sing a lot of Bono. His range is up there - might need to have some hernia surgery after hitting those high notes.

You ever notice that no one ever applies this argument to Madden? It's a simulation of a real activity, yet jocks seem to enjoy it as much as those who don't play football. Weird.

This is an excellent point! :bow:

I've seen plenty of pro sports players who love playing video games of their sport (like NFL). No one complains there. Why? Cuz it's a game. :wave: A five-button "guitar" with no strings and another button for "strumming" is not quite what I'd consider a real guitar.

Maybe they need "Piano Hero". Probably be a lot closer simulation to reality. Rocking out to Amadeus! Ooh baby!

Maybe professional athletes aren't as elitists as amateur guitar players.

7.5 years of real life™ guitar, and I can also 5 star a number of songs on expert on GH3. I've found there's a time and place for both, and it's not blasphemy to occasionally want to press down buttons instead of strings. I think Hendrix would understand.

And have you ever played it? On expert mode it's NOT plain NOR simple at all.

I've played it (and I seemed to have mentioned so). It's not easy on expert mode (duh!). The thing that bothers me the most is that fanatical Guitar Hero players seek to impress others with this supposed skill they have. Play for fun if you want, but don't pretend to be a real rock star/guitar hero.

Games like Madden require strategy (and sometimes bravado). You actually learn the game of pro football, you learn which plays the NFL coaches use to run their offense and which defense counters that offense. You gain an even deeper appreciation for how the real NFL game is played, even if you never played it in real life yourself.

Guitar Hero is just a dexterity game. You don't actually learn anything about guitar playing. Real guitar playing™ is not simply playing the right notes. You also learn where the notes are on the guitar in relation to one another, you learn how chords are formed, you learn all the various chord progressions, and you use that knowledge to make music. Even if you never do write your own songs, you gain a deeper appreciation for how the real guitar heroes craft their masterpieces.

Guitar Hero is a joke, plain and simple. You could've spent that money on a nice Fender acoustic guitar and get started on the real thing. Chicks dig real guitarists, amateur or not.

6 strings >>>> 5 buttons

Ok, I really think this would be a bad idea, since, according to my video game store running friend, Aerosmith was a huge flop :shrug: BUT isn't Guitar Hero going to become the same thing as Rock Band? Except, with the superior (imo) guitar hero guitar, and the drum set having cymbals? This is what I was told, but no one else has mentioned it. I'm just throwing that out there, since a few people said they could only see this working with Rock Band.

People who look down on Guitar Hero are elitist fruitcakes. It's just a game. Look up the word "fun" sometime. It's not trying to replace the guitar, ffs.

People who look down on Guitar Hero are elitist fruitcakes. It's just a game. Look up the word "fun" sometime. It's not trying to replace the guitar, ffs.

Actually, it's people like you who are losing their grasp on what "fun" is. Seems to me that only us elitist fruitcakes know that "fun" isn't six to eight hours a day of pointless button mashing.

Actually, it's people like you who are losing their grasp on what "fun" is. Seems to me that only us elitist fruitcakes know that "fun" isn't six to eight hours a day of pointless button mashing.

You know what would be fun? You making another thread about U2 selling out. We need one every four years, and these Guitar Hero rumors would be a perfect jumping off point. :corn:

Seems to me that only us elitist fruitcakes know that "fun" isn't six to eight hours a day of pointless button mashing.

You don't have to play Guitar Hero for six to eight hours a day to have fun playing it.

Gibson is right. When you play Guitar Hero it's not fun, you just think it is.

If people are enjoying it and having a good time, I think that qualifies something as being fun.

Who is getting hurt when someone plays Guitar Hero? No one. I don't see why some people have so much hatred towards it. If you don't like it, don't play it...but I don't see a need to knock others who do play it and like it. :shrug:

Just so they could have an idea of what the tracks sounded like so they could decide whether or not they wanted to negotiate with U2's label for the tracks. If there was anything higher-quality, I would have sent that instead. Also, no, I haven't got a response yet.

Also...
RULE OF THE INTERNET #158: If anyone mentions Guitar Hero in any context, there WILL be an argument. No exceptions. :wink:

Oh, that was so nice of you. I bet Principle management will offer you a percentage for doing part of their job. :huh:

If people are enjoying it and having a good time, I think that qualifies something as being fun.

Who is getting hurt when someone plays Guitar Hero? No one. I don't see why some people have so much hatred towards it. If you don't like it, don't play it...but I don't see a need to knock others who do play it and like it. :shrug:

If everyone followed the "don't like it, don't do it" philosophy, no one would ever have an opinion about anything.

If everyone followed the "don't like it, don't do it" philosophy, no one would ever have an opinion about anything.

Not true. You can try something once and decide you don't like it. Therefore, while you may not be choosing to engage in such an activity ever again, you still have an opinion based on experience.

It's not that big a concept. It's similar to the people who like the last two albums. They don't really like them, they just think they do.

I see :hmm: but, what about people who like u2? do they really like them or do they just think they do?

are we even alive? or do we just think we are?

Not true. You can try something once and decide you don't like it. Therefore, while you may not be choosing to engage in such an activity ever again, you still have an opinion based on experience.

Yes, but an opinion is pointless if you don't share/are not allowed to share that opinion with others. Saying "if you don't like it, don't do it" pretty much signifies that you're cornered by a rational argument. All you've got is this highly effective statement that will end the debate without much harm to your credibility. So enjoy your fake plastic guitars. Your life wasted, not mine.

U2 would be stupid to pass on something like this. I posted this a while back, but I teach guitar lessons and can't believe the number of songs my students know, only because of Guitar Hero / Rock Band. Songs and artists they would never have cared about otherwise, but because they are on these games, they are suddently "cool" and the students take an interest in their music.

Guitar Hero / Rock Band has done more to revitalize the rock and roll industry in the past couple of years than anything else. At least, that is the case in the U.S. U2 would be foolish, especially with the new album fast approaching, to not at least offer a couple of songs (from any of their albums) on these games for download.

Finally, re: the simplicity of U2's guitar. These games make the guitar parts as simple or difficult as they want. That's why you can play songs on any level. It is the game designer who decides how many notes you actually have to hit, and how difficult the song is within the game. It is really irrelevant how easy or difficult the song is in real life.

That said, I think the Fly would simply rock on Guitar Hero / Rock Band.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom