Grey's Anatomy, Season Three - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:
Did anyone watch the "special" last night? I watched some of it, then I got bored. I missed the new music video, but here it is. I've heard that song on the radio and I like it.

http://abc.go.com/fsp/index.html?channel=GreysAnatomy&clip=123869

Yeah, I watched it. I had it on in the background, but didn't pay too close attention. The music video was all right. It was all a little meh to me, but I certainly enjoyed seeing Denny! :D

The preview for next week looks great. I'm really looking forward to new episodes! :drool: It's been way too long.

:up: Yea he can McCycle past my house any time too! That photo really cheered my sister up so I am so thankful for the timing of finding it posted here.

I liked the episode the other night and the song/video is cool too. Can't wait till next week!

I'm not sure I like this new Mer/Der storyline. If there's one person who should be professional in the hospital, it's the Chief. He should give the job to Derek, regardless of personal feelings. Anyway, Meredith's just his girlfriend, not his wife. And she's gonna be a doctor too, so it's not the same situation as him and Adele.

I'm still annoyed with George and Izzy. I like her new storyline with her daughter, but why does she have to like George and think that their sex was special. :barf: It's so icky! I'm glad they gave her this new storyline, because I was getting really sick of her lately.

I'm loving the Alex/Ava story. I'm excited to see what happens. Also loved the Chief and Sloan comedy. I'm sad to know Addison will be leaving soon for her spinoff. I kinda hope it bombs so she will come back to Seattle.

Thank god they sent that Colin Marlowe guy away. I'm so sick of the stupid stuff they're doing to Christina and Burke. They used to be my favorite characters, but this season with the lieing about the hand tremors, the stupid engagement and this Colin dude, they just seem way out of character. Christina acting like a girlie girl for this old dude's sake was completely ridiculous, imo. It was painful to watch. And why is she gonna rush into marrying Burke? Her character would never do that.

I know there's pressure to give everyone a storyline, but I think the writers are trying to do too much in everyone's personal lives. But overall it was one of the better episodes I've seen in a while. Next week looks good too.

Lila64 said:
How can Izzy be over Denny so quickly? :shrug:

Exactly. It seems like Izzy is a completely different person this season. They've taken her character and changed her completely. Same goes for Christina.

Grey's Insider site

We’ve already seen her rock out in her underwear on Grey’s Anatomy.

Now Tony-winning actress Sara Ramirez, who plays the feisty wife of George O’Malley (T.R. Knight), Callie, has signed a deal to record her own album.

“All I can say is that Eric Idle and John Du Prez, who were the writers of Spamalot, are writing the album,” Ramirez told TV Guide at the Step Up Inspiration Awards, where she was honored for mentoring young girls.

Although her lips are sealed about the disc’s sound, Sara Ramirez — who has already inked a contract with Universal Music Group — did reveal that she’d be spending her summer break from Grey’s Anatomy in the studio recording the album.

But the Mexico native did let a few details slip about the love triangle brewing on Grey’s Anatomy between George, Callie and Izzie.

“Callie is just showing up doing her job, oblivious to everything,” says Ramirez.

So will she call it quits after discovering George slept with Izzie?

“I think she knows her relationship with George is in sort of a delicate place,” she says. “But she’s a strong lady. She knows what she wants so I’m sure she’ll go to any lengths to get it!”

Hopefully, this means we’ll see more of Calliope Iphigenia Torres-O’Malley in next year’s Season 4 — but Ramirez isn’t talking just yet.

“Am I back next season?” she asks with a laugh. “Maybe. This character’s just been so much fun to play. Acting with this group of people has been a master class in episodic television. For now, I’m just enjoying the ride.”

splashnews_btla240407a_04.jpg

I sort of agree with this article, a lot:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/117747699045640.xml&coll=1

IN THE FINAL scene of last week's "Grey's Anatomy," chief of surgery Robert Weber (James Pickens Jr.) visited a local bar, trying to rebuild his dating muscles after the end of his long marriage. Horrified to realize he was flirting with a college student, and embarrassed that he let smarmy Dr. McSteamy (Eric Dane) talk him into this plan, the chief was on the verge of bailing when Dr. Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh) sat down next to him and suggested he ask her to dance. Told by the chief that the bar had no dance floor, she gave him an insouciant grin and said, "So? Ask me anyway," and the pair ended the episode sharing a funky, silly, completely charming two-step, surrounded by oblivious drinkers.

That was Kate Walsh's only real screen time last week, but in that minute-plus, she demonstrated why she was the right choice to be the star of the upcoming "Grey's" spin-off -- and why the original show is going to suffer badly with the loss of one of the few likable characters it has left.

The backdoor pilot for the spin-off, which will also feature Tim Daly, Taye Diggs and Amy Brenneman in its cast, airs next week. While I'm naturally skeptical of spin-offs, I hope this one is good, and that Addison can bring the chief, Callie (Sara Ramirez) and Karev (Justin Chambers) with her, so I no longer have any reason to watch "Grey's" proper.

What began a few years ago as a fluffy, entertaining mash-up of "ER," "Friends" and "Sex and the City" has become a show so deeply in love with itself that it no longer notices or cares how the rest of the world views it. It's still the hottest thing on television that doesn't involve Ryan Seacrest, but the emperor has no scrubs.

The main character, Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo), was never that interesting or appealing to begin with. "Grey's" creator Shonda Rhimes has often defended Meredith's flaws by arguing that equivalent male characters on dramas -- say, George Clooney as Doug Ross on "ER" -- get away with being promiscuous and self-centered without being judged so harshly. The key difference, though, is that, when Doug wasn't busy breaking hearts and rules, he had some respectable qualities, like his passion for caring for his young patients. When Meredith isn't wrapped up in her own personal issues -- usually involving fellow self-righteous drama queen Dr. McDreamy (Patrick Dempsey) -- she barely exists.

Then there's Katherine Heigl as walking disaster area Izzie Stevens, the model-turned-surgeon currently shattering all TV records for irrational, judgmental, horrid behavior. First there was that story arc at the end of last season where she fell in love with heart patient Denny and deliberately made his condition worse so he could move up the transplant list. Denny died, amidst much unfortunate, unconvincing crying by Heigl, but rather than kick Izzie out of the hospital and off the show, Rhimes and her writers contrived to have one character after another step up and try to take the blame for what Izzie did so she could be reinstated. (I know it's a TV show, and not a very realistic one at that, but if Rhimes was insistent on Izzie keeping her job, better not to try to explain it at all. It's like Clark Kent's eyeglasses disguise, a credibility-straining device that only works so long as the characters don't keep talking about it.)

Since coming back to work, Izzie has spent most of her time making nasty comments about Callie, the girlfriend and now wife of Izzie's best friend George (T.R. Knight). A few episodes ago, George and Izzie had a night of drunken sex, and despite a couple of seasons' worth of evidence that neither thinks of the other in That Way, we're now being sold the idea that they're meant to be a couple, and that Izzie's awful treatment of Callie was just a manifestation of that. Annoying as Izzie was before, she's dragged George down with her. To quote Tina Fey from timeslot rival "30 Rock," blurgh.

And that's not to mention the dull three-parter that threatened to kill Meredith and then didn't, or the story arc that had Drs. Yang (Sandra Oh) and Burke (Isaiah Washington) pulling an Izzie by hiding evidence of Burke's hand injury, or any number of character-ruining plots from the last year-plus.

Rhimes and her staff maintain a blog, www.greyswriters.com, where they discuss each episode after the fact, and it offers a fascinating, albeit slightly disturbing look at where the show has gone wrong. Rhimes writes about the characters as if they were real people whose behavior she can't control, and she loves every single one of them deeply and unapologetically.

That level of empathy for her characters is a large part of what made "Grey's" so good and so popular in the first place. Even today, it can still lead to some nice moments, like the current subplot involving Dr. Karev getting a crush on an amnesiac, pregnant plastic surgery patient (guest star Elizabeth Reaser). But a showrunner has to establish some kind of objective distance from the fictional world she's created, has to be able to say, "Hey, wait a minute -- if my character does this, people will hate him forever."

We commit to watching scripted dramas and comedies because we have to, on some level, enjoy spending time with the people on them, and the number of "Grey's" docs who fit that bill is dwindling rapidly. There's Addison, but she's off to the spin-off in a week, probably not to return unless ABC's development season is so amazing that it can kick Daly (late of "The Nine") and Diggs (late of "Day Break") to the curb twice in the same season. There's Callie, but she's become a victim of the George/Izzie subplot. The chief is a peripheral figure, and Dr. Bailey (Chandra Wilson), once the richest character on the whole show, has been marginalized as the writers have struggled to find something to do with a sane adult with a healthy marriage. (After the Denny fiasco, Bailey gave a speech claiming the whole thing was her fault, that she was too distracted by the demands of parenthood to do her job competently. It felt like something written by Ron Burgundy.)

So that leaves Karev, of all people, a character whose sole defining trait in the first season was his pride in being a jerk. Whether it's a sign of his progress or the other characters' descent, if you had told a "Grey's" fan a year or two ago that Karev would soon be the nicest person on the show, you would have been greeted with blank stares and cries of "Seriously? No, seriously?"

I agree 100% with that article! I really hope the writers can find a way to bring the show back. But now that Addison is leaving, I think it will be hard.

Can someone fill me in on last week? I missed, and I just realized I didn't have a chance to watch it online this past week. Does anyone know if it would still be on ABC.com?

OMG!!! The Penis fish!!

I was at work tonight and was talking to a buddy who mentioned he had a friend who recently visited the Amazon and came back sick. He said he lost 100lbs so I commented that there are all kinds of things down there which can make us sick. I mentioned the fish which can enter through the penis to him. So I get home, watch my recorded Grey's Anatomy and lo and behold, a penis fish storyline. WEIRD!!

ultravioletluvv said:
I agree 100% with that article! I really hope the writers can find a way to bring the show back. But now that Addison is leaving, I think it will be hard.

I for one won't miss Addison, I don't think her character is as important and popular on the show as others. I doubt there's enough substance or following to keep a spin off show popular either. We'll have to wait and see. Tonite's episode was interesting. Perhaps some turning points in the story lines? Glad to see there will be several more new episodes through May before the summer break :up:

trevster2k said:
OMG!!! The Penis fish!!

I was at work tonight and was talking to a buddy who mentioned he had a friend who recently visited the Amazon and came back sick. He said he lost 100lbs so I commented that there are all kinds of things down there which can make us sick. I mentioned the fish which can enter through the penis to him. So I get home, watch my recorded Grey's Anatomy and lo and behold, a penis fish storyline. WEIRD!!

:ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom