Gone (new mix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Gone is in my top ten U2 songs because of the new mix. It is superior in every single way to the original. I find this argument with regards to the emotion being destroyed by the new mix to be baffling, as I think it's only in the new mix that the song's power is realised to its full intensity.

Agreed.

All this talk about "soul" and "emotion" in the original album version doesn't make sense to me at all. Yes, it's Bono at his most raw, but I'm sorry, raw doesn't always necessarily mean good, and that's the case here.

And the music. The part where Bono starts to sing "I'll be up with the sun...". The guitar really takes that part away in the original - it's very distracting. Having the piano build that part up along with Bono's vocals is beautiful, and when he get to the last "I'm not coming down...", Edge's guitars crash in with such force - how can one not be blown away by that?

Put simply, the song is just structured that much better on the best of mix, and combine that with Bono's much improved vocals, and it's no contest.

I'll call it a tie (draw)

I just listened to the two, back-to-back, on my headset.

I prefer the sound of the piano and the way Bono sings some of the "up with the sun"s in the original.

The newer mix has a much sharper, less muddy sound, which is good, since the guitar still crunches. The instrumentation is better defined on this version (that was a problem with all the Pop songs, in my opinion). I didn't like the new vocal at certain moments, though (like the way he sings the "it's... necessary"), and as stated above I preferred the dramatic "up with the sun" on the original. Also, I don't like the manic noises Bono makes at the end of this new one.

So in the end I'll call it even.

Wow.

I honestly can't believe that the 'vote' here is so stacked in the Best Of's favour. I am actually genuinely very surprised by that.

I like the Best Of mix in the sense that if it was all that existed, I don't think I would consider Gone any less than I do now - as one of my singular favourite U2 songs - but Edge's guitar, Bono's vocal, the feel of the song - I think the original is far, far, far better.

MrBrau1 said:
Nope. Bono falls back on his "Indian Chat" thingy cause his voice had nothing. Weak as could be.

"Indian Chat"(Chant?)
"Kermit Voice"

I find it hilarious that there are knicknames for some of the Bono's vocal mannerisms. Any more?

u2fp

Lexus are Japanese cars - a high end luxury brand made by Toyota. Generally big (although they do make small models) and sorta chubby in design. A 'Lexus honk' would be in reference to the sound of their horn, which if you look at the car below, you don't imagine it to be a cute little beeping sound. I guess the writer could have just said "Bono has a voice like a foghorn" but it wouldn't have been quite as original or funny.

lexus_ls460_front.jpg

Last edited:
phanan said:
Disagree. The old vocal sucks.

This is the one song where the best of mix blows the original out of the water.

I totally disagree...the "new" version lacks the intensity and grittiness of the original. Too slick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom