Genesis Reunion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2IrishOne

The Fly
A Genesis reunion is happening! World Tour & New Material, definitely pretty amazing!!

FROM NME:

Genesis plan reunion tour
Peter Gabriel still steers clear
Genesis are planning a reunion tour - but without founding member
Peter Gabriel, who left the group in 1975.

The band - Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks - will reform for a series of live shows.

Collins's last album with the band was 1991's 'We Can't Dance'.

A spokesman said that specific details of the reunion - including possible new material - would be announced in the next few weeks.

The band have sold over 130 million albums worldwide since forming in 1965.

----------------------------------
So Peter Gabriel might not jump on the reunion right now, but he's didn't rule it out completely, so we might get him on a show at some point - which would be amazing. This was in NME today:

Peter Gabriel speaks out about Genesis reunion
The singer won't be taking part, but hasn't ruled it out completely
Peter Gabriel has spoken out about his absence from the Genesis reunion.

As previously reported the three remaining members of Genesis - Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks - are planning a world tour and hope to record new material.

Speaking about his non-involvement in the project, Gabriel told BBC NEWS: "There were conversations and I decided not to be a part of it. It's not that I've ruled it out, just that I've got some new material that I'll be working on."

The singer added he is pleased that his former bandmates are continuing without him, declaring, "I'm very happy for them."

Allow me to echo the last 3 opinions.

This is not a true reunion.

Although the trio did make some good stuff.
The self titled album is great.

^I'll have to see what those are later :hmm:

Did anyone ever catch the tribute band 'Musical Box'? Saw them a couple of years ago do the complete 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadyway'. It was fucking amazing! With all the original Genesis props, staging, costumes, and consent from the band. And on top of it, Armando Gallo came and sat next to us to shoot the band from the balcony a couple of times (He was a photographer for them and did a book or two back in the 70s/80s). :drool:

General comment: If somebody enjoys songs like In A Little While, Wild Honey, Stuck In A Moment, A Man And A Woman, Original Of The Species etc. and doesn't like Phil Collins' Genesis, I don't know what to say. They're all on pretty much the same pop/adult contemporary platform. And that's not a negative point. I like all of the above.

Zootlesque said:
General comment: If somebody enjoys songs like In A Little While, Wild Honey, Stuck In A Moment, A Man And A Woman, Original Of The Species etc. and doesn't like Phil Collins' Genesis, I don't know what to say. They're all on pretty much the same pop/adult contemporary platform. And that's not a negative point. I like all of the above.

Yes, but you can't compare the corporate pop of Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance with extraordinary pieces of music as Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot or The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway :heart:

Gabriel Era >>>>>> Collins 70s Era >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Collins pop 80s and 90s Era

:wave:

I would like to thank this thread for making me obsessively listen to Selling England By The Pound and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. :wink:

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, The Lamia, The Colony Of Slipperymen, It, The Battle Of Epping Forest, I Know What I Like, The Carpet Crawlers, Firth Of Fifth and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Those songs make The 80's era Genesis look like crap. That is only two albums producing those kind of songs, a third of that era. Even if Gabriel came back I don't think the reunion would go on. He would be pushing for older Genesis tunes while Collins would want tunes from his era. How do you play something as epic as Musicial Box or Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and a few songs later play Throwing It All Away? :huh:

I can't remember where I heard/read this, but I remember Peter Gabriel being asked once what he thought of Phil Collins and Gabriel's comment was, "He's a fantastic drummer!"

I couldn't agree more.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. :drool: :drool: :drool:

P.S. Let's not forget what U2 also said about Phil Collins when Phil presented them, what was it, a grammy? an MTV award? Remember, when U2 were in the pub via sattelite around Achtung Baby/Zooropa era, and Bono said, "Thanks, Phil. This means a lot coming from you. Our parents really love your music." :lol:

FitzChivalry said:
P.S. Let's not forget what U2 also said about Phil Collins when Phil presented them, what was it, a grammy? an MTV award? Remember, when U2 were in the pub via sattelite around Achtung Baby/Zooropa era, and Bono said, "Thanks, Phil. This means a lot coming from you. Our parents really love your music." :lol:

That was hilarious! But the present U2 is in no position to make the same wisecrack.

FitzChivalry said:
I can't remember where I heard/read this, but I remember Peter Gabriel being asked once what he thought of Phil Collins and Gabriel's comment was, "He's a fantastic drummer!"

I couldn't agree more.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Phil Collins is a great drummer. Lamb really showcases that ability. The real star of that album outside of Gabriel of course is Tony Banks. The keyboards are so beautiful on that album. I would so much to see all five play Lamb straight through again. But that's a dream and nothing more.

Wasn't it the bartender who said that "I'm not that old," when asked about his thoughts on Phil's music? I don't know, it is funny in either case. I remember Peter Gabriel saw ZooTV on the first leg or two, something like six times and loved what he say. That is real honor for a man like Peter to say that. This is the man who brought us the cosmic lawnmower.

Screwtape2 said:
I would like to thank this thread for making me obsessively listen to Selling England By The Pound and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. :wink:

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, The Lamia, The Colony Of Slipperymen, It, The Battle Of Epping Forest, I Know What I Like, The Carpet Crawlers, Firth Of Fifth and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Those songs make The 80's era Genesis look like crap. That is only two albums producing those kind of songs, a third of that era. Even if Gabriel came back I don't think the reunion would go on. He would be pushing for older Genesis tunes while Collins would want tunes from his era. How do you play something as epic as Musicial Box or Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and a few songs later play Throwing It All Away? :huh:

:applaud:

You got to get in to get out :)

I think it's hard to understand the genesis (pardon the pun) of this band if you only heard the 80s---> material. If you were a fan from the beginning with Gabriel & the 70s, and you saw where the band went, directionwise, you might understand our disappointment or better yet, hatred of the 80s material :shifty:

Last edited:
See, I like both eras. Yes, the Peter Gabriel era was definitely more progressive, the music more expansive, just beautiful pieces of music. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is just :drool:

But I also like a lot of the Phil Collins era as well. I agree that Invisible Touch is the weakest of them all, but I really enjoy the three from the early 80's (Duke, Abacab, Genesis), and the last one, We Can't Dance, which has a beautiful epic in its own right with "Fading Lights"...

genesis never really got away from quality music and decent substance + astonishing variety of styles from jazz to pop-rock
except those few crappy pop ballads ( in too deep , throwitallaway ) , all the other stuff :drool:

blood on the rooftops ..............

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I understand what you're saying Phanan. I think the problem is that the band didn't use Tony Banks the way they should have in the 80's and 90's. That time period isn't bad per se. It is just that the music doesn't have that cinematic feel to it. Someone brought up That's All and Mama, those are two really good songs but the majority of the albums and radio releases aren't anything special.

I guess I have a hard time listening to a song like The Lamia with this rich vocal, lyrical performance and some of the most beautiful piano work I've ever heard and compare it to post-Gabriel Genesis. I suppose I'm from the school of thought that believes that if the music isn't progressing in some way then it stops being relevant.

I just saw The Musical Box on their "Selling England by the Pound" tour... apparently, i'm not a Genesis fan! I don't know if it was because Tower Theater's sound system wasn't great, or the music was just not my style, or the man on an acid trip dancing like a fool in front of me! whatever the reason...i'd be perfectly fine if there was not a Genesis reunion

Swingn2thaMusic said:
I just saw The Musical Box on their "Selling England by the Pound" tour... apparently, i'm not a Genesis fan! I don't know if it was because Tower Theater's sound system wasn't great, or the music was just not my style, or the man on an acid trip dancing like a fool in front of me! whatever the reason...i'd be perfectly fine if there was not a Genesis reunion

You can't judge a band from a concert by a tribute group. On the first page I put up some youtube links. The first five are from the REAL Selling England By The Pound Tour. Check them out before you judge the group.

Back
Top Bottom