Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That’s how one of the big “bads” is killed off? Buried alive? Really? I’ve become less and less invested in the show as the season has progressed to the point where I’m reading the leaks.

I’m also in the camp that it would have made more sense to have Rhaegal killed off in this episode and as further motivation for the burning of KL.

Ah well. 70-80 minutes to go. Plus Cobblers Insta stories :up:

3. Dany felt empty and alone after her victory and said "fuck it, burn em all." If only Jon had done his part and had sex with his aunt.

I actually have the most sympathy for this motivation, but the least amount of time and effort was put into developing it. This motivation requires a ton of historical context and internality that we don't get and, frankly, it turns her character into a weak, unlikable asshole that's a mile separated from the Dany we grew to know.

The real problem is that D&D thought it was better to film the battle from the perspective of those being destroyed in order to make a comment on war, instead of putting us in the head of a major character with only 2 hours left in the series. Because of the third person limited perspective that Martin employs, this never would have happened in the books. We would have seen at least some of this story through Dany's eyes and her motivations would have been explored. Instead, we got this shit.

They didn't even explore the reasons why Jon rebuffed her. I am all for "showing not telling", but they did neither of these things. It would have made for more interesting storytelling. Was he frustrated at her aggressive because of her selfish reaction when he told her of his parentage? Was it because she is his aunt? I found their scenes in both episodes 4 and 5 to be very confusing in showing their motivations.

The real problem is that D&D thought it was better to film the battle from the perspective of those being destroyed in order to make a comment on war, instead of putting us in the head of a major character with only 2 hours left in the series. Because of the third person limited perspective that Martin employs, this never would have happened in the books. We would have seen at least some of this story through Dany's eyes and her motivations would have been explored. Instead, we got this shit.

It's telling that once she starts torching the city, we never cut back to Dany's face to see what is in her mind. And that's because no expression or acting skill could sell this shit.

It was a very "uhhh...ok, I guess" kind of finale.

Jon petting Ghost was the clear highlight for me.

You'd think that if they knew that Bran would become King they would have spent more than 3 scenes over the last 2 seasons developing his character?

It's so obvious that B&W received a list of bullet points from GRRM telling them where the story ends, and then had to come up ways to get there. And they failed miserably at the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
...isn't it your fault for clicking on a spoiler tag, and this thread in general?

Also it's long enough after the show broadcast that spoilers are fair game. Hell, we've all even seen it down here in Australia by now.

The spoiler tag wasn't there originally - I added it. And it's probably good to at least give it a few days before openly discussing without spoilers. Not everyone is able to watch things at the original airtime.

I’m sorry, my mistake.

Not to justify it, but why would one open the thread the day after possibly the most anticipated finale in years and not expect spoilers?

Yeah, if it's already the day after a hugely anticipated episode has been broadcast (going by US time here), the onus is on you to avoid spoilers.

Hell, I managed to go five days without having the second episode of this season spoiled for me. Avoiding them here was easy, I just never clicked this thread. I am kind of amazed none showed up on my Twitter timeline though. I would have had to simply not look at it if I had needed to avoid today's episode.

Yeah to be honest I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who receive spoilers. If it means that much to you stay off all media.

Thought it was quite a nice, well-rounded episode that seemed quite hopeful towards the end. A bit meh I guess, but for someone like myself, that's the perfect ending - everything works out.

Jon killing Dannielle was pretty nuts.

I didn’t open the thread.
IMG_8864.JPG

This is what shows when you post something to a topic without some buffer text or a spoiler tag.

The way you can avoid this is by either using a spoiler tag or just rambling for a sentence or two before mentioning something. A spoiler tag will generate the “[emoji85]” emoji as a preview to the post in the mobile app.

In general I agree, don’t open the topic if you haven’t seen the show. But also remember 9 PM EST is 2 AM GMT (I’m currently GMT right now or BST or whatever the heck it is here) etc. etc., so across the pond or out in Australia (god knows what time it is there), people haven’t seen prime time yet and won’t until their following prime time comes along. Well, Aussies might get daytime opportunity, I don’t know.

Reading that spoiler is probably a lot less disappointing than watching that idiocy unfold in real time on the show, so...

Anyway:

Hurley > Bran
"The End" > "The Iron Throne"
Man In Black > The Night King
Lost S6 > GOT S8

:wave:

I didn’t open the thread.
View attachment 12295

This is what shows when you post something to a topic without some buffer text or a spoiler tag.

The way you can avoid this is by either using a spoiler tag or just rambling for a sentence or two before mentioning something. A spoiler tag will generate the “[emoji85]” emoji as a preview to the post in the mobile app.

In general I agree, don’t open the topic if you haven’t seen the show. But also remember 9 PM EST is 2 AM GMT (I’m currently GMT right now or BST or whatever the heck it is here) etc. etc., so across the pond or out in Australia (god knows what time it is there), people haven’t seen prime time yet and won’t until their following prime time comes along. Well, Aussies might get daytime opportunity, I don’t know.

Apologies again. I never see any previews when I navigate the forum, so I never realized this was an issue here.

Don't mind the lurker, but you can disable the content preview in the settings. Then you'll only see the thread titles.

Apologies again. I never see any previews when I navigate the forum, so I never realized this was an issue here.

No worries. The consolation is you’ve told me I won like $100 from a game of thrones game I was playing with some friends.

Don't mind the lurker, but you can disable the content preview in the settings. Then you'll only see the thread titles.

Thanks, I’ll look into it, but I like the functionality aside from this small aspect.

The finale wasn't any worse than the rest of the season. It was doomed from the jump. I had basically no expectations for this after Season 7 ended with so little of the many threads actually resolved.

The highlight of the finale for me:

Edmure shooting his shot. Very funny.

Reading that spoiler is probably a lot less disappointing than watching that idiocy unfold in real time on the show, so...

Anyway:

Hurley > Bran
"The End" > "The Iron Throne"
Man In Black > The Night King
Lost S6 > GOT S8

:wave:

you're spot on but I think Lost and GoT both had strong if flawed final seasons and the endings for both were good. Two of the best shows ever. The last seasons of both were too short and I think most of the problems resulted from a lack of time. The last GoT episode should have been two

So now that that’s done...

It was better than episode 5. This season got progressively worse as it went on, but 6 was as good as it was going to get from there. Still tons of annoying things I wasn’t able to suspend my disbelief for.

Really don’t like Jon Snow’s fate in the series either. Everyone else still living... fair game.

It's wild how badly they managed to fuck up the pacing of these episodes. Entire plot points would get skimmed over or ignored entirely and yet the episodes themselves dragged terribly in spots, especially the first two. Last night's episode felt like an eternity until it went warp speed just in time to decide the fate of the seven kingdoms. Really strange.

Another thing they skimmed over was the conflict with Grey Worm. He goes from slaughtering people in the street to being cool with them choosing a Stark ruler and going on vacation?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom