GA experiences...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

circa1992

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hey everyone!! :wave:

I have to write a persuasive speech for school, and I'm considering writing about the GA experiences: is it worth the effort to wait out for many hours for the chance of being close, meeting the band, etc? In my experience, clearly it was.

BUT, I have to talk about this for at least five minutes. So, would any of you be willing to share your experiences with regards to: how long did you wait in line? Did GA live up to your expectations? Would you do it again? What is the line between being a "fan" and being a "fanatic"?

And most importantly, why do you think GA tickets are worth getting and waiting for? And what do you get out of it?

The focus isn't solely going to be U2 per se (i.e. I'm also going to bring up student rush lines for Broadway shows, waiting for sport events, etc), but I really just wanted everyone's opinions in hopes of getting some more ideas and insight :)

I'm so sorry for all of the questions!!

THANKS!
~Sarah

General Admission advice

I did a search and could not find a thread that had some kind of advice from those who attended previous tour and got GA's;
What time did you get there, did you bring food, chairs, etc, etc.
Anybody that would like to contribute to this thread please do so.
Thanks.

Vertigo tour - Boston

We got to the outside of the arena around dawn to get a bracelet. There were a few dozen folks that were there by then.

The process then was that you got there early in the morning (the first person was given clipboard duty to keep a list of those in line in the order they arrived), you were ushered in at around 8 or 9 am to get your bracelet that indicated your position in line and then you were off for the day.

You were instructed to go back to the arena at around 4 in the afternoon to reform the line in the order you appeared in. Two lines were set up...one for fanclub members (indicated on your ticket) and the other for non-fanclub ticket holders.

By 5:30pm, the lines were well on their way in for ticket scanning.

That was Vertigo in Boston. That was an arena. No clue on how they do this in the stadiums.

Any fans who saw the stadium leg of Vertigo care to chime in?

My GA experiences in Australia for the Vertigo tour were basically arrive as early as you can, claim your place in the queue, and wait all day. There was nothing formal about it. Unlike the Boston process described above, there was no way you could turn up early in the morning, claim your place, and then come back later at 4pm. You had to be there all day.

OK, I'll bite :)

My sister and I did GA in '05 in Cleveland... in December. It was COLD! We were #130 and #131; Miroslava, IIRC, was "in charge" of the sign-in list. We brought chairs and sleeping bags to keep warm, and we were outside from 9 a.m.-ish until around 3 or so, when it was time to pack up and check into our hotel, warm up for a few minutes, and then hike back to the arena. We didn't want to be the people to take advantage of the situation and bail for too long. The worst part was standing on the cold concrete for the next few hours, waiting to get inside.

When we got inside, we didn't get into the ellipse, but luckily we were on the rail, nearly front and center. Thank goodness for the rail, though, because we pretty much leaned on it all through the wait inside and the opening band. After a while, all of the standing still, inside or outside, and being hemmed in by a crowd (again, inside or outside) gets exhausting. The show itself was amazing, and I can't believe how close we were (L&POE happened right in front of us). The walk back to the hotel was almost excruciating, and we pretty much hobbled the rest of the night. You can't underestimate what cold can do to your muscles.

All in all, it was definitely worth it. But I don't know if I'd do it again. I figure I've done it once, it was an amazing experience, we lucked into a good spot, and it took a couple of days to recover. I don't know if I have it in me to go through it again.

So I think it's worth it at least once, if you go into it knowing that it's a bit of an endurance race! But you get out of it an amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience, fabulous pics if you're close enough, and the realization that your idols (musical or otherwise) are real. That's the weirdest thing of all, to see someone in real life up close, someone you've only ever seen on TV or from the nosebleeds in another concert.

As far as the line between fan and fanatic, I think it depends on time and money. People with a lot of time and money can follow the band, see a dozen shows on any given tour, buy all of the stuff, and devote a certain percentage of their lives to a band or sports team. And I think that when they do, something maybe happens in their brains that causes that time they spend on people who don't know them to become, for the fan, a "real" part of their lives, turning the person into a "fanatic" to the point where real-life things, like a job or a significant other, is replaced by the band/team. I've loved U2 for over 25 years, but I can't recite their kids' birthdates and I don't know Larry's favorite color, so I guess I'm just a fan.

Good luck on your speech.

Last edited:
Just a question. I got GA tickets for Boston for this year and this is my first U2 concert! Do you guys suggest camping out over night for Foxboro? And also, what do you do if you have to pee during the concert and you are in the middle of GA? Thanks!

Just a question. I got GA tickets for Boston for this year and this is my first U2 concert! Do you guys suggest camping out over night for Foxboro? And also, what do you do if you have to pee during the concert and you are in the middle of GA? Thanks!

I don't know about camping, but as far as bathroom breaks the best thing is to BE NICE to the people around you. Make friends so that they'll keep your spot, and do the same for them in return.

I'm guessing that they probably won't let you camp out overnight considering they don't open the parking lot for Pats games until 4-5 hours prior to the game.

I think some people had lined up like across the street from the venue at some shows, until the venue allowed them to then move over there.

I think the best part of the GA line experience isn't getting up close or trying to meet the band. It's meeting new and interesting people from around the world.

Those are the memories I have taken away from the shows I have seen. I met a guy from Vancouver who last I heard was selling time shares in Mexico, another guy who designed running tracks, guys who work for Southwest airlines, lawyers, doctors, military people, 2 girls from Zimbabwe, civil servants, financial dudes, editors for @U2 and so on. I still have friendships with many of these people and have shared experiences other than U2 with them. I plan on meeting some again in Toronto.

This doesn't mean you don't experience this unless you do the GA. Gatherings can offer this experience too but the whole GA ritual is an unique rite of passage for a U2 fan. Spending 8 hours plus waiting in line is not something "normal" people do.

Longest wait: Hawaii show almost 12 hours, some people spent almost 2 days in line before the show, coming and going of course

Do it again: I have done the all day thing 4 times now, and will do it again in September. I make the concert a mini-vacation because I have to travel to see the band. So work and stuff isn't a factor.

And the whole "in the crowd jumping up and down, singing along" thing is more fun on the floor than in the stands, IMHO. Who knows, a few years from now, I may be too old to do it so I am going to enjoy it while it lasts! :D

ok here's mine:

Elevation Toronto May 24th '01. First concert ever, 18 from a small town, never travelled on my own before (ie naive) in the largest city in Canada.

We were in line around 10 am, I was #149 in line (someone from WIRE, was handing out scraps of paper with our numbers and I still have mine! lmao!)

Hung out, got to know a few people, jumped the fence to grab lunch and go to the bathroom etc.

3:30 - 4 pm they start to tell everyone to get rid of all their stuff like sleeping bags, garbage etc away because they will not be able to bring it inside. Soon after this they started handing out 'Heart' Passes and start to get in a standing line. We were under the magic number of 200 so we got in!

While we were in line to go in (lots of standing around) we looked in some windows and could see thorough a balcony entrance. We could see the screens above the stage and hear music. Security saw us and then closed the curtain to the stairwell (jerks lol).

6 pm'ish, maybe as early as 5:30. Finally the moment arrived, we were told not to run to the Stage (very hard to control yourself lol).
I stood at the barrier in front of Adam, my friend took a barrier spot along the catwalk.

Awesome show! I heard later that Bono's voice was a bit off, but I don't think I was paying attention. I'm a rhythm section girl through and through, I still wish I took a pic of Adam sitting there on Larry's riser having a smoke while Edge and Bono did an acoustic set.

Great Concert! Got my pictures back and alot of my shots of Adam and the others from the waist down, so either I am really that short (5' at a stretch) or my subconscious was playing with me.

One more thing sort of OT. Next night they had that awesome interview at Much Music, it was raining and we thought our chances of getting inside or up front were zip, so we didn't go. Well wouldn't it suck that we turn on the TV an hour before the interview and there is hardly a crowd? and no rain! :(:sigh:

What a week! Can't wait for September! :yippie:

Thanks Sicy.

In this thread, I posted how I loved Elevation GA, but not Vertigo. Not a fan of the lottery system. Sorry, but the only reason I want GA is to be in that shape (heart, ellipse, circle, yada). Otherwise, I'll take a seat - thanks. With the Elevation tour, I had that chance to be in the heart. For the last tour - and apparently this tour - no chance. So I got seats. And I'll be very cozy in them. :wink:

Here's my question and my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. If you're a group of 4 and only 1 ticket is scanned to get into the ellipse, can the other 3 go too or is it ticketholder plus 1? :sad: I plan on going with 3 friends but I hope we dont get seperated..has anyone been in this situation??

Gonna borrow Trev's words here :lazy:

I think the best part of the GA line experience isn't getting up close or trying to meet the band. It's meeting new and interesting people from around the world.
Absolutely. That and the crazy stories you can tell. Some of it's fun, some of it's a huge hassle, but in the end you remember it all as an exciting, once in a lifetime experience. You bond with the people you meet too. It's not every day you get to do something like this and ultimately end up close enough to reach out and touch the boys and be a part of the show.

Again, not to say you can't have a blast at the back of the arena, it's just a different kinda thing :) Worth the aching feet, elbows in the ribs, and lack of fluids, lol.

Spending 8 hours plus waiting in line is not something "normal" people do.
Pretty much :wink:

Longest wait: Hawaii show almost 12 hours, some people spent almost 2 days in line before the show, coming and going of course
:nostalgia: Sigh.

Good luck with your speech :wave:

Not a huge GA guy... I think I only saw 1 show in GA during Elevation in Hartford... got there late because friend couldn't get out of work... I think we got there 5 minutes before the show and it was amazing... 4 feet from Bono outside the heart...

We didn't get in the heart -- but it's a random lottery so waiting for hours would have got us the exact same view on the outside -- a great one!

I did get GA for Foxboro so excited to try it again.

But I think you can have just as great a time in a seat... no one sits anyway...

Has anyone here experienced GA with a bag/purse/fannypack?

I'm thinking of doing GA in Chicago with a blingin' fannypack?

:up: or :down:
Anyone?

have had mixed experiences with GA- the first time I saw U2 was on Zooropa Tour at Wembley stadium and we did GA that night- and spent the entire night being pushed around, squashed and staring at the giant video screens- we went to a second show a few days later but were in the seats

after that I didn't do GA again until probably either Depeche Mode Exciter tour or Elevation Tour in 2001- and then I was near the back- I don't like being squashed near the barriers

my preference now is always for GA- every now and then you get a crowds who will simply sit down- we had an argument with a woman (taking pictures to sell on ebay) at a Bryan Adams concert because we were stood up blocking her ability to take these pictures- funny thing is she got busted for it and they took her camera away- ha ha ha ha

Gold Circle is a different matter- did it for Vertigo at Croke 1 and 2 and more recently Madonna's Confessions Tour in Cardiff and it was brilliant- part of it is the queueing up in the first place- really adds to the experience and you get to meet like minded people who are there for the same reason you are- it's totally knackering but I'd do it again in a heartbeat- but not every night

I'll continue to go GA tickets for as long as I feel capable of being able to leap around like a lunatic for 2 hours, and I've learnt over the years that stepping back just a little buit gives me the personal space I need to really enjoy the concert

assuming they don't inflict this lottery thing on us in Europe I'm bound to end up queueing for GC again at least a couple of times on this tour

have had mixed experiences with GA- the first time I saw U2 was on Zooropa Tour at Wembley stadium and we did GA that night- and spent the entire night being pushed around, squashed and staring at the giant video screens- we went to a second show a few days later but were in the seats

after that I didn't do GA again until probably either Depeche Mode Exciter tour or Elevation Tour in 2001- and then I was near the back- I don't like being squashed near the barriers

my preference now is always for GA- every now and then you get a crowds who will simply sit down- we had an argument with a woman (taking pictures to sell on ebay) at a Bryan Adams concert because we were stood up blocking her ability to take these pictures- funny thing is she got busted for it and they took her camera away- ha ha ha ha

Gold Circle is a different matter- did it for Vertigo at Croke 1 and 2 and more recently Madonna's Confessions Tour in Cardiff and it was brilliant- part of it is the queueing up in the first place- really adds to the experience and you get to meet like minded people who are there for the same reason you are- it's totally knackering but I'd do it again in a heartbeat- but not every night

I'll continue to go GA tickets for as long as I feel capable of being able to leap around like a lunatic for 2 hours, and I've learnt over the years that stepping back just a little buit gives me the personal space I need to really enjoy the concert

assuming they don't inflict this lottery thing on us in Europe I'm bound to end up queueing for GC again at least a couple of times on this tour

so, then, what do the people who've done GA in stadiums think of it if you don't care about being in front? I'm just so torn between sitting in 100 dollar seats (other end of the stadium from the stage) or being short little person on the field. I just don't want to not be able to see a damned thing *and* get squished. Will there be elbow to elbow far back on the field? Will one just not be able to see a thing at all with all those heads in front of you and you might as well be a little farther back still and with your arse parked in a seat and elevated above the heads? Deep, important questions! :wink:

I have also had mixed GA experiences. On Vertigo got there around 10pm the night before camped out and met some great people. Only twice I got into the ellipse, but was on the rail on the outside which was great. I think camping out was worth it because I made friends and had a great time before and during the show.

On Elevation, got there in the afternoon the day of the show and was 2nd row on the outside. One show we got there in the morning, could have gotten in the heart, but choose to stay on the rail on the outside.

I tried to meet the band on several occasions, but with many of them being in Philly it didn't happen. They come down from NY to do the shows and then go right back, so they usually don't do soundchecks. One show on Vertigo that they did a soundcheck they were running late and couldn't stop.

:wave: hi lauramullen,
were you trying to meet the band while doing GA? Would you be allowed to leave the line for that purpose? i would love to try and meet them, but I am also doing GA... :hmm: any tips would be appreciated.

That was the one drawback in Boston with not having to stand in the line all day. About two hours before we got back to the line, the Boys came in to do their soundcheck. Bono and The Edge got out of their vehicles to do a meet n greet with those who came back to the line early or never left to begin with.

I made up for it on the last leg of that tour by hanging out in the back entrance as the Boys filed in (each takes seperate cars....must be for security reasons). The Edge came out to meet the fans. It was cold. By the time he did come out, many people had left. He autographed a postcard I had of the October album cover. After I thanked him, he shook my hand and said, "thanks for being a fan." The man is the coolest. What a great experience.

So I have had just a few GA experiences in my 20+ years of fandom. I have some extra time so I guess I will go for the longest post I've ever made on interference haha!

The first one was Elevation Oakland 2001. I went with a casual U2 fan friend of mine because at the time I did not know anyone that liked U2, and only a few people from Interference that I knew were going. I didnt know anything about the GA line stuff, we sauntered in to the line around 4pm, were pretty far deep in the line but there actually werent that many people there surprisingly. Someone was managing the numbers on the hands thing I believe, but we must have came too late and didnt make it into the heart. We were right outside of the heart on the rail a bit to the right, which was totally fine by me. I was just so excited that U2 was actually going to be that close to me! Last U2 show I saw before this as GA was in 1987. Everyone was really respectful. I remember the guy next to me looking at me and going "Are you Sicy from Interference?" :lol:... that was an odd thing to be recognized, as this was really the first time I went to any sort of large gathering that involved other people from interference. All in all it was a good experience, a bit of pushing but nothing too major. Only complaint I had were constant arms up in front of me during the whole show. I realize that's what you do at U2 shows but maybe its not necessary to have your arms up the entire show, I would like to actually be able to see the band. I took a ton of pics from that show but this one was my favorite, with an old school cheapo 35 mm film camera.

bonoedgeoak3-1.jpg

-------------

The second show was Elevation Vegas 2001 just a couple days later, and I flew to Vegas really excited because a lot of people from interference were going and I had only met a few people from here at the Oakland show. I remember getting to the line around 9am I think with LarryMullen's POPAngel and HelloAngel and a few others. There were a couple gals (*Ally* and I cant recall who else) that were running the line and making sure everyone had a number on their hand. I cant remember what number I was, but it was way before 300 (the cut off # to get into the heart). We hung out in the line, we left for a bit for food, etc but we mostly spent the whole day there in the line. It was fun. We met people, we hung out, we had MacPhisto, fake Bono, and the news show up :lol:

MiniBonoonthenews.jpg

A bit of the GA line

MeApril.jpg

My friend worked for a screen printing company so I had him custom make a U2 smilie shirt for me.

elevatemeshirt.jpg

Once it was finally time to go in, there were definately line jumpers. I remember a bunch of girls that showed up that none of us saw all day, and somehow they were able to get in near the front of the line, so there were some words exchanged I remember, but we did make it into the heart and it was amazing for me to be that close. About 2 or 3 deep from Adam's side. It was great! The heart was very roomy, there was no shoving, pushing or anything like that. Very good experience. We were easily able to leave and go to the bathroom, etc and get back into our spots.

Love arenas...

TheHeart.jpg

---

Next up was San Jose Vertigo 2005 when they returned that spring. This was by far one of the best GA experiences I've had. We showed up around 9 or 10am and the venue security was handing out the wristbands. We got our wristbands and then left to walk around, grab lunch, etc. It was SO organized and everyone was totally cool about not having to sit in the line all day. We came back in the afternoon, sat in our spots for a while, chatted with others, then got word that the band would be coming in the back soon. I really really really wanted to meet the band. Being a fan for SO long and never meeting them I just really wanted to get a pic or something. So we stood in the back of the venue and waited. And waited. For hours.. like 3 hours. They finally arrived and drove in. Bono rolled down his window and pointed to his watch meaning they were late, but they would come out for a minute.

bonodriving2.jpg

We waited, and waited longer... it got late and someone was saying they were starting to line up and that we'd better get back into our spots or we'd be SOL. *sigh* So we left to get back in line because I did not want to lose my place. Well guess what, yes they came out like 10 minutes after we left the line, so there was my chance to meet them, gone. Oh well.

My bf's ticket scanned so he switched his with mine so I could go into the ellipse with April (LMPA) as he was not nearly as big of a fan as we were! It was VERY orderly, no pushing, no running, we got into the ellipse on Edge's side, very front rail. We were SO EXCITED!!! The show started and the ellipse was literally half empty. It was the craziest thing. We had plenty of room to dance and enjoy the show. Sean Penn was even in there to the left of me. :giggle:

seanpenn.jpg

The night was great. Again, a really good experience. My favorite pic I took from this show:

bonoblindfoldglasses-1.jpg

-----

And finally, Vertigo Oakland, 2005. I actually cant rememember what time exactly we showed up for this show. I want to say early afternoon, maybe 10 am or 11 am. Met up with Diemen and ReggieTheDogg. I am completely at a blank on if they were doing wristbands for this show or just simply lining up. (my past days of partying have screwed up my memory obviously LOL). In any case, we hung out in the line pretty much the whole time. I think one of us may have gone to get food, but for the most part we hung out, chatted with other fans, waited AGAIN for U2 to arrive, but they never did. I dont know if they went in another way or we just completely missed them, but yeah story of my life. In any case, the line was orderly, going in was pretty calm and my ticket ended up scanning so that was exciting. I think either Diemen or Reggie's ticket scanned too but in any case we all made it in there. I decided to go for the back of the ellipse since I had already seen the show from the front and thought I'd just hang out in the back and have a different experience. I am glad I did because Bono came out from under the ellipse like just a couple of feet from me!

bonocobl1.jpg

This ellipse seemed to be more packed than San Jose, but there was still no pushing, shoving or anything like that.

All of my experiences have been great and I am grateful for every one that I've had. I do not go to an over abundance of shows, only because I really cant afford it, but I am thankful for the shows that I went to and I am really looking forward to this tour. I am just terrified of the whole stadium thing. I think GA is going to be WAY different for a stadium. Last time I did GA in a stadium was in 1987 so I dont remember much about it only that there was a LOT of pushing and shoving and my friend and I ended up having to move back from our close spot because we simply were not enjoying ourselves. Hopefully this tour it will not be bad and since its so many years later, I am hoping they've mastered or at least improved the whole GA thing and how its run.

Back
Top Bottom