FUN U2 quotes.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkys girl

Refugee
I am kinda bummed out today...it's cold and rainy! I need some sunlight soon!!! I am withering away...
All that aside, I need some laughter, so I went looking and found these funny/odd quotes.
biggrin.gif
I think they are hilarious!
biggrin.gif

What irritates the others about you?
Bono: My temper.
Adam: I'm slow.
Edge: I spend too long on the computer.
Larry: I'm the "negative" one.

From the BP Fallon interview (circa ZooTV)

BP: When did you last wash the dishes or hoover?

BONO: Just last night, I washed the dishes and the hoover...
EDGE: Last time we played house.
LARRY: I've just finished...
ADAM: I'd say in the mid seventies.

BP: Did you ever think you were going to die?

LARRY: Yes, only on the back of Bono's motorbike!
EDGE: Only on the back of Bono's motorbike.
ADAM: Only in the back of Bono's car.
BONO: Die, no. Squashed, yes.

BP: Are you a star?

ADAM: Wishin'...
LARRY: I've been called worse.
EDGE: Only after dark.
BONO: No, a firework.....Well more of a banger, really.

BP: Is Elvis alive or dead?
ADAM: Elvis is alive.
BP: Have you ever seen him?
ADAM: I see him every day.
BP: Is he in the band?
ADAM: He thinks he is.
biggrin.gif

more to come....

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
She is the dreamer....she's imagination

LOL Maria! I just redid my entire quotes page- facelift! LOL
smile.gif

"Adam is taking the temperature more stoically-- he is simply adding another item of clothing every ten or fifteen minutes,
like the Madonna of the Bizzaro World."
-U2 At The End Of The World

"True to form, Edge's promise of 'just the one' turns out to mean just the one bottle of vodka." - Q Mag interview

"Most of our organization is run by women.
We sort of work for them, really!" - 1992 Bono

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher ** <--my "spoons"

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

*If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane!*

Thank you Carrie! I was actually over on your site earlier looking for quotes...I needed the inspiration!
smile.gif

here are a few more quotes...
BP: What's in your pockets?

LARRY: Buttons for opening my gate (empties pockets) Lipsil, wallet, packet of Silk Cut cigarettes-nurses cigarettes! - homeopathic gear for sore throats, lighter, penknife.
BONO: I have no pockets.
ADAM: A load of phone numbers. Whose? Nah, I'm not telling.
EDGE: I don't have any in my trousers. In my coat (pulls everything out) there's my Gitanes, my Zippo, my keys and an awful lot of guitar picks. I pick them up everytime I leave rehearsal. I never put them back so on a given day it could be anything from ten to about fifty 'cos they just build up. I sometimes think they breed in there.

BP: What's the best thing about you?

BONO: My nose.
ADAM: The way I might like at you.
LARRY: My dog.
EDGE: I don't snore.

BP: And what's the worst thing about you?

BONO: My nose.
LARRY: I'm black and white.
EDGE: I'm so single-minded on some things that I find it hard to keep other things together. When I'm really concentrating on an album or tour or something, a lot of other things in my life get shelved.

ADAM: I'm very bad in the mornings, grumpy. I don't say very much.
BP: And how long does it take you to come to?
ADAM: About a litre of coffee and two hours.

this is the one I liked best!
biggrin.gif

BP: If you were an animal, which animal would you be?

ADAM: A giraffe. Why? 'Cos then you'd meet other giraffes.
EDGE: One of the big cats, so I could just s-t-r-e-t-c-h out in the sun, a panther or a cheetah.
BONO: A wildebeest. You'd have to have a sense of humour with a name like that.
LARRY: Aaah! A fly. Because Bono wrote about a fly and what's good enough for Bono is good enough for me.

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

i loved reading that interview and i love reading these quotes.

i love pictures, but quotes *can* tell you more about the *person.*

Originally posted by elizabeth:

very true...
smile.gif

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

and to think i was just gonna mention that this thread will never grow like the pictures thread, although it's just as good if not better than pics
smile.gif

these are from Carrie's (oliveu2cm) site

"I'll tell you, you learn a lot about women from dressing up in women's clothes! You learn that when a woman asks you "Do I look alright?" what she's reallysaying is "I have just spent alot of time making myself uncomfortable. If I go out in this condition will I look foolish, or is it worth it?". When you ask a woman to go out to dinnerit's not like asking one of your mates. She has to stop and think, "Hmm, dinner. That will be four hours of being uncomfortable." And if she says yes and then after four hours you say,"Lets go dancing, let's go to a club," and she says "No, I want to go home," it's because she has figured on four hours and now those four hours are up and she can only think of getting home and out of those clothes!" - Adam

"I find it amusing that people think I'm together [because] I'm
the most untogether person I know. In the band, they just say, 'here comes chaos.'
Oh, I want to be together - it's my ambition to one day get my own life in order and tie it up with string
and be as organized as somebody like Adam....Clayton's unbelievable. Field Marshal Clayton!
For a guy who can stay out all night, if he needs to be up at 8am, he'll be there at 8am on the button."
-Bono, from U2: a Road to Pop

*I wish I could be more like Adam in this respect, I am definitely not a morning person!*

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

[This message has been edited by sparkys girl (edited 01-04-2002).]

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
and to think i was just gonna mention that this thread will never grow like the pictures thread, although it's just as good if not better than pics
smile.gif

LOL@ Carrie! i was thinking the same thing!
it may sink like a stone, but it's worth a shot, besides we love them for more than their looks, RIGHT Ladies?!?
smile.gif

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:

LOL@ Carrie! i was thinking the same thing!
it may sink like a stone, but it's worth a shot, besides we love them for more than their looks, RIGHT Ladies?!?
smile.gif

LOL maria i was beginning to wonder! actually i'm not convinced yet either!

we posted that other post nearly at the same time!!

btw, i saw your pic on nicamom's site!! you're so pretty!! & i think we look alike <--but didn't mean that to sound conceited lol

smile.gif
adam would be lucky to have us!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

great minds...as they say

LOL maria i was beginning to wonder! actually i'm not convinced yet either!

we posted that other post nearly at the same time!!

btw, i saw your pic on nicamom's site!! you're so pretty!! & i think we look alike <--but didn't mean that to sound conceited lol

smile.gif
adam would be lucky to have us!
biggrin.gif
Carrie...you are makin' me bluuusssh!!!
smile.gif

Adam would be a lucky guy!! He'd love us kissin' and doting on him all the time!!

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

i just wish i could find some original quotes to post. I don't have nearly the exposure or familiarity with their quotes/interviews/writings as the people here....so I guess I will have to try and find *something*....

okay! i took one look at this pic and couldn't help it.....i had to post it!
but they all look sooooooo goooood!
band40.jpg

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:
Carrie...you are makin' me bluuusssh!!!
smile.gif

Adam would be a lucky guy!! He'd love us kissin' and doting on him all the time!!

LOL
biggrin.gif

for his mind annnd his bod!

*looks around, laughing*
when did this turn into our own private IM?
wink.gif

Bingo, girlie

hey, you want some original quotes I have a bunch on my site! I mean they're not orginial to me but I get the sense not many other pl look at them & i love reading anything they say so.. lol i'm rambling. anyway check it out & hope u enjoy.
biggrin.gif

Bingo, girlie

hey, you want some original quotes I have a bunch on my site! I mean they're not orginial to me but I get the sense not many other pl look at them & i love reading anything they say so.. lol i'm rambling. anyway check it out & hope u enjoy.
biggrin.gif

you know...i have your website bookmarked!
but i always forget to go look at sites that i bookmark and say to myself "don't forget to back to THAT one!"

i am so foolish sometimes!

*trots off to read quotes*

WHOA

a lyrics analysis on MOFO?

that's awesome!
wow, you should see my surprise! even pl on eykiw don't really read that!!

the moon one is even better, though. it's spooky, and you'll never look at AB/Zoo the same way again!

this line means a lot to me....

"Looking for a sound that's going to / drown out the world"

you wrote:
This i love! the words are beautiful. the meaning v. strong- looking for one sound to drown out the rest. sound as in music, or maybe the sound of a woman's voice? This is a beautiful line, one of his best ever. He's tired of the cacophony, the "numb"-esque life on one hand, pleading for respite, but he's still got his straw in lemonade, can't resist it. Duality. Contrafuckingdiction.

somedays that sound is all that keeps me going...and the sound that does what I need it to do is different from one day to the next!

found some more....

It would be wrong for me to say, "Yes, we can change the world with a song" -but every time I try writing, that's where I'm at. I'm not stupid. I'm aware of the futility of rock 'n' roll music. But I'm also aware of it's power. - Bono

It's a very unusual thing to be in a band like this. It's like being in a street gang. And it's all very well being in a street gang when you're 16, but it's bloody weird when you're 32. - Edge

another Edge quote....
It's funny, but even within the space of one song, you can feel the audience come and go. The only thing to do is kick into heavier gear and go for it. Some of our best gigs have been ones that start off badly and then become manic and unpredictable. Heavy but cool is the key - Edge

still more to come...

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

if you register w/ hotpress.com you can search their archives for U2 articles. I started browsing and then became engrossed in one the other day, here are some highlights- it's from 1987 right after JT

Bono: Adam has always been the roots man in the operation. On tour, it'll always be reggae, Aswad or Black Uhuru blasting out of his hotel room. Larry's more interested in the songs and simple structures. It's speak up or shut up. Write a song, three chords, say what you have to say. So he liked the directness of blues and something like "Trip Through Your Wires".

Adam: I think we've come up songs where there was a whole process of music inspiring lyrics and lyrics then feeding back on the music and the whole thing becoming intense. And we found that because Bono had enough time to produce lyrics that really did work, it was much more satisfying.

Bono: You could say this is forbidden ground for U2 because we're the group. But to be an optimist, you mustn't be blind or deaf to the world around you. "Running To Stand Still" is based on a real story while "Exit", I don't even know what the act is in that song. Some see it as a murder, others a suicide - and I don't mind. But the rhythm of the words is nearly as important in conveying the state of mind... If I can be objective and of course I can't, the album's real strength is that though you travel through deep tunnels and bleak landscapes, there's a joy at the heart of it.

Hotpress: There's now a greater sensuality, which relates to the maturing of U2.
Bono: Yeah, you just stretch it out and realise a whisper can be louder than a scream. You learn that there's a time for letting go and a time for holding back.

Q: Where do you think you'd be now if U2 weren't formed?
Bono: Hmmm, that's an interesting one. God almighty. Whoo, Get me another beer!
Adam: I think Dublin wouldn't have contained you. I think you would have been off somewhere.

Bono: I don't know. To be honest, U2 saved my life in a way because I a unemployable. There's nothing else I can do.

What was the impact personally of seeing people going through the ordeal of drug
abuse?
Bono: Ah, I wrote the song, didn't I? I just wrote "Bad". The point is Dublin is rife with a particular problem which people have to come to grips with in their personal lives. To understand the background to the song might help people.

Adam: In its simplest form, I've always seen heroin as a very evil thing. Consequently that's always inspired a great fear of it in me so I can assume that anyone who takes it has a similar fear. To actually have their back so much against the wall, to be controlled by it, is something I can't understand. I haven't been that close to the edge. I've certainly been near it a few times in one way or another but to imagine that next stage is pretty much impossible.

Bono: Well, I think, first of all, it's not your first reason for being on stage, to effect change in the political climate of a country. I don't know what the first reason is but it's not the first reason. But I like to think that U2 have already contributed to a turnaround in thinking.

Edge: And if we have, it's not even the point, is it really? You don't write a song because you think it's going to change somebody. You write a song because that's the way you feel.

Adam: You write a song because something hurts. I mean if you look at social change within America, that came from the Delta areas, the plantations or wherever. A lot of the change in America is rooted in blues music; that was what people listened to. It was the protest music of the time.

Bono: In "With Or Without You" when it says "and you give yourself away and you
give yourself away" -everybody else in the group knows what that means. It's about how I feel in U2 at times - exposed.

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher ** <--my "spoons"

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

*If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane!*

a few more before i nod off completely....

a typical Bono-esque comment!
smile.gif

Everyone argues, then we do what I say. - Bono, 1987

I think that Edge is the head of the band, I'm the heart, and Adam and Larry are the feet. - Bono, 1981

God is in the room more than Elvis. It feels like there's a blessing on the band right now. ... In the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it's not just about airplay and chart position. - Bono, Rolling Stone, May 10, 2001

one of the reasons i did not make it to Ireland this past summer....(the other reason was of course, the TOUR!)
We would like to tell everyone that Ireland is a perfectly safe place for a vacation. All of us in the band live and work there. It's a great place for a vacation and we hope you will continue to visit. - Bono, Statement in April 2001 because of foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in Ireland

*of course this summer, is a different story!!! adam here i come!!!*
biggrin.gif

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

[This message has been edited by sparkys girl (edited 01-04-2002).]

hey, this is a great place for me to post this question!

I'm looking for two quotes:

1. Has anyone ever read a quote by Bono saying his hands are made for capentry?

2. Where is the quote from Bono about the music bringing the joy? This is in regards to the Elevation tour. It may be the Spin article, not sure.

I'd appreciate any help!

hey, this is a great place for me to post this question!

I'm looking for two quotes:

1. Has anyone ever read a quote by Bono saying his hands are made for capentry?

2. Where is the quote from Bono about the music bringing the joy? This is in regards to the Elevation tour. It may be the Spin article, not sure.

I'd appreciate any help!

i think this is the one you are referring to ....

"I must say, I don't feel very qualified to be a pop star. I don't think I'm a very good pop star and I feel awkward at times in the role. I think there are other people far better suited than me. I sometimes think it might have been a mistake -you picked the wrong guy! Look, I'm built more like a mechanic or something, a carpenter. I mean, take a look at these hands- these are the hands of a bricklayer." - Bono, 1987

i am not sure about the second one...

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

OMG!!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! these are the best ever! i always love reading these so much!!!

*hugs*

------------------
~Julie*
ScottPhisto's Shampoo Girl

"Let me introduce you to the scientist in the family. The man who gets sexual pleasure out of the collection of data. The Edge!" ~Bono (Boston)

"EEEEEDGE, BEDAZZLE MEEEEEE!"

BP: What's your favourite method of transportation?
BONO: An angel's back. No, make that blindfolded.

Q: If the four of you were in a fight, I mean a truly tough brawl, which one of you would kick the other three's asses? (NME interview, 2001)
Larry: Bono
Adam: Bono
Edge: Bono
Bono: Me

He's the perfect rock and roll baby. He sleeps blissfully all day and roars all night. Ali is a saint; I try to do my bit, but I don't have the right breasts. Bono, about Elijah

The strangest thing has happened. I really missed my dog. That's never happened to me before. You know, on the tour you do hear people saying they miss their pets. I never have. But last night I started really missing my dog. It's very odd, 'cos I don't have a dog.
-Bono, during ZooTV

BP: When did you last cry and why
BONO: I suppose I do everything in extremes - laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much. Pass the onion...

Oh, and that quote about Bono and Ali in the kitchen and flying saucers, I can't seem to find it...

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
Oh, and that quote about Bono and Ali in the kitchen and flying saucers, I can't seem to find it...

BP: Do you believe in flying saucers?
BONO: In my kitchen they'e an everyday thing.
BP: Have you ever seen one?
BONO: She's a very good shot.

The 2nd quote is from the LA times article from a couple of weeks ago , called "Joy Makes a Return" . really good article.

You can do a search on youtwo.net for it..
smile.gif

Anger is simple. Any artist knows he can do it with a black brush. That's what rock is at the moment. It's an easy thing to do: painting in black. Joy is something else. It's much harder to create because you are dealing with something much deeper and much more emotional. It's a connection with the audience that borders on faith, believing in something together.

Is this the one?
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom