From Bono himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

So you're saying that, because Edge's guitar parts on HTDAAB do not sound like the aforementioned earlier work, he is NOT trying anything new? :slant:

Fascinating logic, Zoots. :lol:

That's not what I'm saying! I'm saying it's bits and pieces of guitar parading as a solo when it's far from.

Zootlesque said:

That's not what I'm saying! I'm saying it's bits and pieces of guitar parading as a solo when it's far from.

Does Edge need to play solos? Is it that important? For the record, HTDAAB is a guitar rock album. His guitar is prominent in just about every track, with a few of them actually rocking quite hard.

I'm not really disagreeing with your main point though...I agree that Edge hasn't really pushed forward as a guitarist since Pop....but I just thought your phrasing was a bit strange in that one part. :hmm:

LemonMelon said:
I agree that Edge hasn't really pushed forward as a guitarist since Pop

Exactly!

LemonMelon said:
....but I just thought your phrasing was a bit strange in that one part. :hmm:

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word original. I didn't mean that he should copy those afore mentioned solos. Just saying that it would be nice to have at least a couple of solos on every album. He sure did have a handful in the past!

If he's being lazy, then he's being lazy. He's still a great guitarist, and he is the lifeblood of the band's sound. Always has been, and will continue to be. I'm sure that if we see/hear a change in sound, Edge's guitar work will also change. Hopefully for the better. Instead of chopping down the Joshua Tree, they'll have to dismantle the Atomic Bomb. :wink:

OK, that was too easy. :giggle:

:lol:

They need to stop dismantling the atomic bomb with love and start dismantling it with distorted guitar solos! :rockon:

Zootlesque said:
Edge is trying? There is nothing even remotely close to stuff like NYD, Electric Co., Like A Song, Fly, UTEOTW, Acrobat, SBS, BTBS, Gloria etc. on the last 2 albums. Bits and pieces of guitar here and there like Miracle Drug or LAPOE does not make an original solo. I like how people always say Edge is not a solo-ist. All the songs I mentioned above all pretty much have solos. Lately it seems to me like he is either not trying hard or has just run out of ideas. In any case, other things like song melody has come to the forefront lately. So it's okay... but I do not think that Edge has done much lately.

Yes, he's the one trying and may be the only one in U2 doing so for the past 7 years. Something like IALW doesn't sound like anything he's done before, or Fast cars, or LAPOE. I also don't think he has something new to show in OOTS. Not bad for someone in a band for over 20 decades.

You do realize Bomb is the U2 album with most solos since AB ? Not that he's all about soloing like some like to think. It is also the album that has what a lot of people want, Edge rocking out more.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Not bad for someone in a band for over 20 decades.

That's a looooooong time! :crack: ;)

U2girl said:
You do realize Bomb is the U2 album with most solos since AB ? Not that he's all about soloing like some like to think. It is also the album that has what a lot of people want, Edge rocking out more.

If Edge rocking out more equals turning the volume way up on a mini guitar jam for 20 seconds, then no thank you. I'd rather have meandering solos that go somewhere, like your NYDs and Flys. Plus Zooropa and Pop did have guitar work. It was just harder to make out because of the lack of that typical soaring delay drenched guitar.

I do love IALW and think he did great on it! :love:

No, Edge rocking out equals Edge coming up with the riffs; see Vertigo, ABOY (probably his best straightforward rocking song since Desire) and LAPOE. 3 songs seems about right for their "let's rock" average on albums.

I don't see why it's only a solo if it lasts for eons but anyway.. Forgot to add his guitar on WILATW too. That was good.

I know Zooropa and Pop had guitar, there just aren't many noticeable solos or riffs. (Velvet dress aside)

Last edited:
Vertigo, ABOY and LAPOE all have very average guitar work IMO. A solo shouldn't have to be long to be good. It just has to be interesting and going somewhere instead of just repeated riffs. Meh it's okay. The Edge has a huge history to be proud of.

That he does, and I'm sure he will continue to bring something good on the next album/s.

I'm surprised at all the "solos!!!" talk over the years when we know the man doesn't like, as he said, "guitar olympics". :shrug: And their average would probably be 3 or so solos on an album.

Zootlesque said:
I'd rather have meandering solos that go somewhere

A bit of an oxymoron there, I would say. :wink:

No, solos are overrated. A good guitar riff is forever. No one remembers Iron Man's guitar solo, but everyone remembers the riff. :rockon:

No, Edge should sound like David Gilmour. And sometimes he does.

I just watched a good portion of this interview. I have to say, it's quite powerful. I like the way he talks about his critics. He seems like a "tougher" Bono and I hope that comes out in the music.

As far as the part where he talks about the music; he really gave us nothing to go on, other than it seems that the entire band is on the same page about going for a new sound. I know they say everyone likes to complain about all these little things, even when Bono himself gives us something. Well, I don't think he really did. So many other bands give you an insight into what's going on in online Band Diaries or Blogs and such. That's the only part of U2 that I think is behind the times right now. I know that it helps build the suspense, but if you keep you fans in the dark for long enough, they'll eventually start to lose interest. Of course for U2 fans, that timeframe is probably somewhere into the 5th year of waiting for a new album (which thankfully hasn't happened yet).

Rich79 said:
So many other bands give you an insight into what's going on in online Band Diaries or Blogs and such. That's the only part of U2 that I think is behind the times right now.

Yeah, remember when they tried to do that studio-cam thing for ATYCLB? Cool idea, but it really went nowhere.

Zootlesque said:
:lol:

They need to stop dismantling the atomic bomb with love and start dismantling it with distorted guitar solos! :rockon:

Why? The Edge is the kind of guitarplayer that doesn't need guitar solos and exibicionism of the typical guitar player to be a great one. He never did.
That's not how U2's sound ever worked.

Last edited:
the guitar riff from Vertigo, solo in miracle drug, the solo in ABOY kicked ass, COBL live was incredible....the EDGE still rocks, I think Adam/Edge were the two members bringing it on the last record.

that aside, anyone got the link tho this interview?? can't c it on the main page.

thx

Solos don't equal Edge trying. The guitar work on Achtung was less prominent but ten times more interesting.

And I don't care what Bono says. He called Window In The Skies a song of the ages or some such rubbish.

this thread has become a pain to read...for cryin' out loud...so many people on here just looking for something to find fault with, YOU'RE TRYING WAY TOO HARD AND IT'S REALLY REALLY OBVIOUS!

i guess mentioning a Bono interview turns into the Edge declining and being lazy or something? WTF!?!?!?!? what universe are you living in......your desperation and purposeful negativity is almost laughable...

oh wait, i forgot.....thats right, larry mullen jr. sucks at drums because he's in his 40's, Adam is just along for the ride, Edge is so lazy now, especially evident during the vertigo tour, when an epic Kite solo was created...and Bono is doing too many speeches and not telling the public enough about the new album...

it really sounds like some people on here are frustrated that U2 is still on top of the world musically after 30 years...or maybe some people think it's cool to be overly critical...I don't know!

just a bunch of worthless moaning, groaning, and whining that does nothing for anyone...*sigh*

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
The guitar work on Achtung was less prominent but ten times more interesting.

And I don't care what Bono says. He called Window In The Skies a song of the ages or some such rubbish.

What ? Achtung by far is his most prominent album, he outshines everyone else.

I believe he was saying he wished WITS to be like those eternal Beatles songs when you feel like they've been around forever - certainly it sounds like them.

Rob33: I would love it if they did that just for once, say "we're getting nowhere, no new ideas..." and then plug in for the complaints here.

Rob33 said:
this thread has become a pain to read...for cryin' out loud...so many people on here just looking for something to find fault with, YOU'RE TRYING WAY TOO HARD AND IT'S REALLY REALLY OBVIOUS!

Then DON'T FUCKIN' READ THE THREAD. Seems you're being too thin-skinned about your heroes.

Here, go post somewhere with other people who think Bono can do no wrong!

oh wait, i forgot.....thats right, larry mullen jr. sucks at drums because he's in his 40's

I don't think anybody's said Larry sucks because of his age. Don't make up shit.

it really sounds like some people on here are frustrated that U2 is still on top of the world musically after 30 years...or maybe some people think it's cool to be overly critical...I don't know!

Please, stop making up shit. Nobody's frustrated that U2 are successful. Maybe you should read some posts and see what people's actual critiques are rather than just jumping to idiotic conclusions.

just a bunch of worthless moaning, groaning, and whining that does nothing for anyone...*sigh*

It's a messageboard. Discussion would be pretty boring if there were no differences of opinion.

But you could say every thread on Interference ultimately does nothing for anyone. I mean, Song Survivor games? Woop-dee-fucking-doo. But I still enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom