Freestylin' Friday - Edge Rising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:

Don't worry, it's only one of several guitars of this kind that Bono has. So I am sure we will be seeing him "wearing" this guitar again.

exact same including the quote "the goal is soul"? cool.

kellyahern said:
13714402ahernkelly422200780209AM.jpg

:cute:

And the man is wearing purple!

men+purple=:love:

Way to go Edge!

You know I have to say that I think one reason that Bono was not at the auction might be that it is Edge's night and if Bono shows up it would upstage him. We all know how the press and people in general are and I think that Bono would be very sensitive to that. I was struck by how careful Bono was on the night of the Superdome reopening to make sure he stayed back to some extent and didn't steal the limelight from Edge. I felt that he really made an effort to tune down the Bononess except when actually singing and even then I felt during the Saints performance that he was being careful not to overpower Billy Joe. At the very end he redirected everyone's attention to The Edge and practically disappeared off the stage.

Dana

That's Professor Allen Toussaint on the other side of Edge. The finest New Orleans pianist, songwriter and teacher around.

Adam must have slipped in with the Dancing With the Stars contestants to get his ManTan.

Edge's Cream Les Paul raised $240,000!!
(..acording to u2.com)

why...why THE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!! :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

rihannsu said:
You know I have to say that I think one reason that Bono was not at the auction might be that it is Edge's night and if Bono shows up it would upstage him. We all know how the press and people in general are and I think that Bono would be very sensitive to that. I was struck by how careful Bono was on the night of the Superdome reopening to make sure he stayed back to some extent and didn't steal the limelight from Edge. I felt that he really made an effort to tune down the Bononess except when actually singing and even then I felt during the Saints performance that he was being careful not to overpower Billy Joe. At the very end he redirected everyone's attention to The Edge and practically disappeared off the stage.

Dana

Ya! I noticed that too. Totally sounds like something he would do, to honor The Edge! Bono is a class act all the way..... As they all are!
:drool: :love: :love:

First, Edge :drool:

Second, I wonder how much the auction signs went for. The guy from Julien's told me they were going to get the autographed by some of the auction attendees (like Edge) and auction them off Saturday as well.

Bob Ezrin posted about the auction in the Music Rising blog:

Can you believe what happened last night????

It's been a long time since I posted here, mostly because the elegant and talented Caroline has been here to spread the news. But this is one time that I have to share my excitement with all of our friends.

Last night we witnessed one of the greatest examples of selflessness and pure giving in the history of charitable events. Scores of friends and associates gave us little pieces of themselves - their instruments, clothing, photos and other memorabilia - to auction to a crowd of ardent supporters of Music Rising (and U2). The greatest contributions came from Darren Julien of Julien's Auctions who put this incredible event together at considerable personal expense; from Henry, Caroline and all the folks at Gibson who pulled out all the stops in getting donated instruments and memorabilia from artists from all over the world; from our dear friends and supporters who paid more than anyone could have predicted for all of the items on auction and made it possible for us to sell more than $2.4m worth of stuff IN ONE NIGHT!

But perhaps the greatest thanks has to go to my dear friend and partner, Edge, as well as Bono, Larry and Adam for so generously providing us with the greatest collection of U2 memorabilia ever offered to the public. Sometimes people don't realize this but every item the members of U2 gave us to auction was something that they were personally attached to in a fundamental way. And in the case of the instruments, these were their actual creative tools and extensions of their musical identity. This wasn't just a case of some celebs signing 8x10's or cheap new guitars and putting them up for sale. This was a group of committed, giving artists who put their prized possessions behind their convictions for the benefit of others. How amazingly cool and impressive is that? I have never been more proud to be in the same trench with someone. I told Edge that last night after the sale was over. I'm telling you too because you should know that about the man and his band mates. There are no better people anywhere.

Caroline will no doubt write about the experience of the auction. I couldn't be there because of an illness in the family, but I watched and participated online - plus folks were calling me from the floor of the auction to let me hear what was going on - so I had a small sense of the excitement in the room. The reports were uniformly ecstatic.

This money and the rest that we have been raising through the kindness of Gibson and Musicians Friend by selling the new Epiphone Music Rising Guitar as well as from numerous other sources will give us the wherewithal to make good on our commitment to bring the music back to the Central Gulf by providing instruments for its musicians, churches and schools, and through the music to help the essential process of community building in the region.

There's so much more that I could say about this but I'm going to close with a simple "Thank You" to everyone who participated in, and helped to support, this amazingly successful event.

Think we should do it again? Let us know.

Best wishes to all!

Bob

And did any of you see the Music Rising special on Sundance last night? It was so great.

^Thank you for the article. It's so true about them and one of the things that makes us proud to be U2 fans. :)

dsmith2904 said:
Bob Ezrin posted about the auction in the Music Rising blog:

Can you believe what happened last night????

It's been a long time since I posted here, mostly because the elegant and talented Caroline has been here to spread the news. But this is one time that I have to share my excitement with all of our friends.

Last night we witnessed one of the greatest examples of selflessness and pure giving in the history of charitable events. Scores of friends and associates gave us little pieces of themselves - their instruments, clothing, photos and other memorabilia - to auction to a crowd of ardent supporters of Music Rising (and U2). The greatest contributions came from Darren Julien of Julien's Auctions who put this incredible event together at considerable personal expense; from Henry, Caroline and all the folks at Gibson who pulled out all the stops in getting donated instruments and memorabilia from artists from all over the world; from our dear friends and supporters who paid more than anyone could have predicted for all of the items on auction and made it possible for us to sell more than $2.4m worth of stuff IN ONE NIGHT!

But perhaps the greatest thanks has to go to my dear friend and partner, Edge, as well as Bono, Larry and Adam for so generously providing us with the greatest collection of U2 memorabilia ever offered to the public. Sometimes people don't realize this but every item the members of U2 gave us to auction was something that they were personally attached to in a fundamental way. And in the case of the instruments, these were their actual creative tools and extensions of their musical identity. This wasn't just a case of some celebs signing 8x10's or cheap new guitars and putting them up for sale. This was a group of committed, giving artists who put their prized possessions behind their convictions for the benefit of others. How amazingly cool and impressive is that? I have never been more proud to be in the same trench with someone. I told Edge that last night after the sale was over. I'm telling you too because you should know that about the man and his band mates. There are no better people anywhere.

Caroline will no doubt write about the experience of the auction. I couldn't be there because of an illness in the family, but I watched and participated online - plus folks were calling me from the floor of the auction to let me hear what was going on - so I had a small sense of the excitement in the room. The reports were uniformly ecstatic.

This money and the rest that we have been raising through the kindness of Gibson and Musicians Friend by selling the new Epiphone Music Rising Guitar as well as from numerous other sources will give us the wherewithal to make good on our commitment to bring the music back to the Central Gulf by providing instruments for its musicians, churches and schools, and through the music to help the essential process of community building in the region.

There's so much more that I could say about this but I'm going to close with a simple "Thank You" to everyone who participated in, and helped to support, this amazingly successful event.

Think we should do it again? Let us know.

Best wishes to all!

Bob

And did any of you see the Music Rising special on Sundance last night? It was so great.

^^^That is so awesome Edge, Bono,Larry,Adam :heart:

"I BOUGHT LARRYS DRUM!!! "

I just made it back to Florida after a long drive from NYC. It was quite a trip...the weather was beautiful, the auction was the time of my life, and I got to watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees in a New York City bar. The perfect weekend!

Saturday was a long day. I arrived at the Hard Rock at 3:00pm and didnt get out until 1:00am. It was an open bar with lots of food but I was too nervous to eat or drink. A couple hours into it my little brother snuck in and took some pics for me. No one even checked my ticket to get in but that money went to charity too so its all good.

I never really knew if Edge would be there but he was along with his guitar tech Dallas Schoo, some people from Principle Management, and celebs Christy Turlington, Edward Burns, and Little Steven.

There were some good deals but most everything went pretty high. I bought the Buddy Holly shirt and pants, 200 Bruce Springsteen photos and slides from a 1980 concert,......and Larry's white drum. The one he and Bono use on Love And Peace Or Else.

I stood next to Edge and Dallas all night and even got into a few bidding wars with them. They usually won but it got my heart pounding everytime. If you think the closing seconds of an Ebay auction are exciting ...try bidding every penny you've got against the Edge while the whole Hard Rock is watching!

I regretted not buying the Clapton owned Fender Stratocaster (which Edge beat me out on) but it was unclear whether that was a 50's model or an 80's reissue. One is worth $2000 and the other $50,000+ so it would have been nice to know for sure. I know Edge thought it was vintage so there would have been no beating him out. Of course that was one of the very few guitars that wasn't there to inspect. Other regrets were the Kurt Cobain pawn shop receipts, Elvis photos, and of course, Edge's Les Paul Custom.

By the end of the night I was one of the last bidders there waiting to pay. I guess most people get invoiced and have their items shipped to them. Not me, I paid up and walked down Broadway with that drum! I noticed the guy who won the Eddie Vedder signed surfboard doing the same thing!

This was a once in a lifetime experience that I'll never forget. U2 shows usually serve as reuinions and vacations for me and my old friends but I was mostly on my own for this one (and sometimes you cant make it on your own.. haha). I've seen U2 about 15 times and that Les Paul (and its owner) have blown me away at every show. To state the obvious I really regret not having more money to buy that guitar...

Then I had flashbacks of listening to "Under A Blood Red Sky" as a kid and trying to keep up with the drums on my bed. (Pillows=tom toms, math book=snare, lamp=cymbal, etc). So buying one of U2's drums brought back some fond memories.

I first started learning about guitars while reading about Edge's gear. I was dead broke, sleeping in my car, with no place to stay when I decided I would become a guitar dealer. I started out buying two effects for $35 that I read that Edge used and luckily sold them for a quick profit. Then I worked my way up to guitars and amps. Now I buy high end and vintage guitars every day and it all started by following U2. If Edge didnt have such great taste in guitars or if I was a Motley Crue fan these last ten years would have been a whole lot different!

Bono often thanks the crowd for giving the band a great life. I've come a long way from drumming on math books and making business plans at 3:00am while parked in an empty rest stop. Being able to attend that auction and buy a real piece of U2 memerabilia means the world to me. They're the one's that have given me the great life. And that's on top of all the great music, shows, and friends I've made and kept through them along the way.

emann71

Back
Top Bottom