Foulness, Essex Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god. Why can't people speak English properly! There is such a thing as dual gauge in railways, where a railway line is laid with three rather than two rails (sometimes four rails - maybe more, though I have never seen it) so that trains of multiple gauges can operate over the same route. And some twits call it "duel gauge"! Well, I suppose you can metaphorically talk about gauge wars, but these people are just idiots.

And then there are the people who say 'use' when they mean 'used'. What, can't they hear the 'd' sound? GET A HEARING AID THEN, FOOL!

Ugh.

Yes. YES. YES!

Finally! Someone who agrees with me! I used to love that tour when I was still a newish fan, but I can't see how I could now. Most of it's just frustrating to look at. That is how a rock band jumps the shark. Your audience is getting confused and finding your whole act stale, so add wise cracking characters like The Fly to your mix, and OH LOOK YOU'RE RUINING YOUR MIND WITH TV. If it failed, Edge wouldn't have a yacht today. A dinghy, perhaps.

I can't believe some people here have described his acting in the tour as good. It's not even passable. He's overtly theatrical - which is okayish in rock concert format, but would be hopeless elsewhere. I hear he's completely wooden in movies, though.

Oh, how I wish Edge merely owned a dinghy!

I admit, I still love Bullet/RTSS from ZooTV, and Dirty Day on the fifth leg was sweet. But the worshipping of that tour makes no sense. I mean, people talk about U2 being ironic and subtle in the nineties, but ZooTV wasn't ironic or subtle at all! It kicked you in the face! "Hurrr TV IZ CRAP!!!!!" and all that. If you want subtle, you are better off looking at The Unforgettable Fire, Promenade, and Bad. Well, when I say Bad, I mean Bad without Bono's speech about "THEES IZ A SAWNG 'BOWT AH FREENDAH MYN".

Eighties U2 had EXACTLY the right mix. Earnest without being overly obvious or simplistic in the lyrics. Everything since then has failed in one way or another.

They do seem like they care. You tell them to an Inthistowntastic gig when I'm around, and we go see, hey?

:( Can't they at least play the early Twilight?! Do they ever play ASOH?

Haha, I would so love them to do an inthistowntastic gig! I've spoken to fake Edge and fake Adam before, prior to a gig. Nice guys. I think they are starting to recognise me, so I hope I can strike up something with them and persuade them to learn a song or two. I've never seen them do ASOH, unfortunately - just Bad, UF, and Pride from the UF album. At least they do the title track, unlike the real U2!

Their best gigs are in Clifton Hill. At those shows, they do their first set as pretty much a hardcore fan special, then the second is more hits oriented but not overly so, then the third is a total hits parade as the drunken great unwashed has shown up by then.

Ashley, I am on either my 11th or 12th glass of wine. Finishing my third year of university is an occasion that demands over-indulgence. I have at least stopped eating chocolate. God, I feel fat. And my tongue feels ... stained with alcohol. I am not sure if I will have more wine. I may not quite appreciate it as much as I should.

we have kitten:

ATT6022238.jpg

Ax, are you drunk? If not, I'm going back to sleep

BONNNNNNIIIIIEEEE!

Ax, are you drunk? If not, I'm going back to sleep

Fear not! I am beyond tipsy by now, surely, and on the drunk side of life! Perhaps not as spectaculary as some, but oh, I have been on the booze!

And the kitten is made of cuteness! I want a cat. It has been so long since I've had one. Cats are the best. THE BEST.

Edit: I realise there is a typo in this post, but I shall leave it alone, so that you may revel in the drunken typo that I missed!

Last edited:
btw, I think Bono kicked ass in Across the Universe...can't say as much for the rest of the movie.

Oh, how I wish Edge merely owned a dinghy!

I admit, I still love Bullet/RTSS from ZooTV, and Dirty Day on the fifth leg was sweet. But the worshipping of that tour makes no sense. I mean, people talk about U2 being ironic and subtle in the nineties, but ZooTV wasn't ironic or subtle at all! It kicked you in the face! "Hurrr TV IZ CRAP!!!!!" and all that. If you want subtle, you are better off looking at The Unforgettable Fire, Promenade, and Bad. Well, when I say Bad, I mean Bad without Bono's speech about "THEES IZ A SAWNG 'BOWT AH FREENDAH MYN".

Eighties U2 had EXACTLY the right mix. Earnest without being overly obvious or simplistic in the lyrics. Everything since then has failed in one way or another.

He would <3 his dinghy.

Yeah, I'm not saying the music was all bad, I love 5th leg Dirty Day for instance, that's one of my favourite U2 songs. But I don't understand how so many people can say that Bono's voice was so great in that era, for instance. It was tolerable, nothing special. Kind of irritating at times, too. I don't get how people can say that's better than how he sounded in 84-86 and oh look I've turned into Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwooooooooototototorrrrrrrrrrrr.

Another thing that sucks about it is that because of it, people immediately see U2's live shows and personalities in the eighties as something that it wasn't. You've heard it, that they were too solemn, too boring, too naive and self-assured. Maybe they were the last one, but they weren't the others. They just weren't over the top. Like you said, they got the mix.

He would <3 his dinghy.

Yeah, I'm not saying the music was all bad, I love 5th leg Dirty Day for instance, that's one of my favourite U2 songs. But I don't understand how so many people can say that Bono's voice was so great in that era, for instance. It was tolerable, nothing special. Kind of irritating at times, too. I don't get how people can say that's better than how he sounded in 84-86 and oh look I've turned into Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwooooooooototototorrrrrrrrrrrr.

Another thing that sucks about it is that because of it, people immediately see U2's live shows and personalities in the eighties as something that it wasn't. You've heard it, that they were too solemn, too boring, too naive and self-assured. Maybe they were the last one, but they weren't the others. They just weren't over the top. Like you said, they got the mix.

The Annhilation Tour: Dinghy Leg! U2 sail up and down minor rivers of Europe, performing in minor towns.

Bono's voice was pretty decent in early 1992, but he gradually lost it over the tour. Plus all that MacPhuckoffo bollocks did NOT help songs like WOWY. WOWY lost its grandeur in 1993 and has been worthless ever since. I'd say Bono reached his vocal peak in 1989. Not because I am the Lovetown Fanlad, but because, well, just listen to the Dublin gigs! His range is astounding. I think I even convinced Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwoooooootoooootoooottoooorrrr of that before he learnt to hate me like any infatuated U2 fan should.

What bugs me is that now, some people view Bono as wearing masks, and even try to discredit the early days as Bono just being a performer. Uh, given the circumstances of October, that was obviously just Bono pouring his utmost sincerity into the microphone. That's why I love it so much. I may disagree with the conclusions he drew then, but I can connect with the underlying emotion.

:hi5: this is going to be your first drunken mistake, entering Bigamy with Bonnie and I, are you ready?

YES.

I am already married to Vazza. Let's bring on the drunken errors that I will remember all too well in the morning and wonder why I didn't just stop drinking after four glasses!

Yeah, I think a bit of the raw emotion of the 80s is gone. And I think recently they have begun to get it back. The problem is they've gotten so damned preachy about it.

kitty:

ATT6023476-1.jpg

HEY, LEMON MELON, IF YOU ARE LURKING, YOU MOTHERFUCKER! YOU'RE GOING TO START THE FUN OF THE TOP 100 ALBUMS THREAD WHILE BONNIE AND I WILL BE ASLEEP!

I PROTEST THIS COURSE OF ACTION MOST VIGOROUSLY! Can you not wait until the US evening, when your dear antipodean friends will be awake and online?

I love that I said that "I protest this course of action most vigorously". It's so 19th century. CAN YOU GUESS WHAT ERA NEWSPAPERS I HAVE BEEN READING!

:love: 19th century history :love:

And Traviud totally needs to have his course of action altered so that it is more favourable to the Antipodes. Yes.

The Annhilation Tour: Dinghy Leg! U2 sail up and down minor rivers of Europe, performing in minor towns.

Bono's voice was pretty decent in early 1992, but he gradually lost it over the tour. Plus all that MacPhuckoffo bollocks did NOT help songs like WOWY. WOWY lost its grandeur in 1993 and has been worthless ever since. I'd say Bono reached his vocal peak in 1989. Not because I am the Lovetown Fanlad, but because, well, just listen to the Dublin gigs! His range is astounding. I think I even convinced Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwoooooootoooootoooottoooorrrr of that before he learnt to hate me like any infatuated U2 fan should.

What bugs me is that now, some people view Bono as wearing masks, and even try to discredit the early days as Bono just being a performer. Uh, given the circumstances of October, that was obviously just Bono pouring his utmost sincerity into the microphone. That's why I love it so much. I may disagree with the conclusions he drew then, but I can connect with the underlying emotion.

Yeah, I was going to single out early '92, but you get what I mean. Fuck, FUCK. I hate MacPhisto. Fuck that shit. God that is some fucking terrible shit. Ruin some fucking good songs, you daft cunt.

I don't know what kind of a person would think of that, especially for the early days. I suppose they'd draw that conclusion from thinking, oh look, he was in Lypton Village, I really don't know everything about that because I'm just some fucko fan that's read a few misdirected pages written by Eamon Dunphy about it but I'm going to say that because that gang was kind of artsy and performeriffic that Bono had all kinds of masks even in The Day. What the fuck, man. Where am I.

HEY, LEMON MELON, IF YOU ARE LURKING, YOU MOTHERFUCKER! YOU'RE GOING TO START THE FUN OF THE TOP 100 ALBUMS THREAD WHILE BONNIE AND I WILL BE ASLEEP!

I PROTEST THIS COURSE OF ACTION MOST VIGOROUSLY! Can you not wait until the US evening, when your dear antipodean friends will be awake and online?

... Yeah!

You two just need to stay up for 24 hours, this is the only possible course of action to please all parties.

Ha ha, The Hold Steady are coming to Melbourne. HEY! Melbourne is too good for your quasi-Springsteen, utterly inferior pretentious wank! Go home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom