Favourite Song from the Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HTDAAB Fav Song...?

• Vertigo

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • Miracle Drug

Votes: 55 18.9%
  • Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • Love & Peace Or Else

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • City Of Blinding Lights

Votes: 55 18.9%
  • All Because Of You

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • A Man & A Woman

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Crumbs From Your Table

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • One Step Closer

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Original Of The Species

Votes: 42 14.4%
  • Yahweh

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Fast Cars

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
rjhbonovox said:
How in the hell are songs like COBL(the mono mix) & Miracle Day so popular on here I will never know??? These songs are two of the blandest on the album, its like U2 could make these songs without even trying and yet loads of people on here think they are great. I am amazed.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :macdevil: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Earnie Shavers said:
Love & Peace. The lyrics suck, but at least it's original.

Yea, they do. They do so much it's distracting. That's why I don't like that song. Bono in a Rolling Stone interview said he hates hippy-schtick, and hates it when people misinterpret "One". LAPOE lyrics are everything Bono should be against. The music is interesting, but production-wise the whole thing sounds like crap. Larry Mullen's drums sound awful. And The Edge does the usual, which is good i guess, but i've heard it all before. Previous to the album being released, he said the solo to LAPOE was really coming from a dark place and you wouldn't want to go there. It's two notes for God's sake!!! I dunno, i was kind of let down. The only part of the song I like is the middle 8 with all those bell sounds.

Love and Peace sounds unreal when you are not concentrating on it. Like in the background, loud, but not distracting. When you are sitting around with a bunch of friends drinking and being noisy on your own. Those little shifts are great.

Otherwise yes, it's one of Bono's single most disappointing lyrical efforts ever. The Edge needed more. Larry dialed it in. The music isn't cheesy though. It's still got a real drive to it. Can't say that for the other songs at the top of this particular chart. I don't really think much in general of the songs on the Bomb though. I probably wouldn't rank Love and Peace in my Top 100 U2 songs, but it has just enough to be ranked as the least cringe-worthy on this album in my opinion.

I tend to dislike songs more when they could've been good rather than just flat-out suck. LAPOE and OOTS are two examples of that. They could've been classic ROCK, but U2 made them safe. They like "Walmarted" the sound. Now "Desire" off Rattle and Hum, that sounded like all-out fuck-you rock. It had rawness and feel to it. LAPOE sounds like a journey down the CD aisle, hearing something on the ubiquitous Muzak station that sort of catches your attention for a couple seconds, but then you drown it out because it's not as interesting as you thought it was gonna be and you continue shopping. Now LAPOE does have a decent groove to it, and if U2 really wanted to they could've channeled their bluesy hard rock influences into this song, rather than just having the groove in the background like another layer in a song that's full of layers that aren't that interesting to begin with. I think "Crumbs" has a great groove to it. A tad overproduced, but it's chill laid back and not aspiring for the heights that LAPOE is. Larry Mullen Jr. should be hung for the "Fast Cars" decision. He really is an idiot. So many other lame ones to pick from. And you finger "Fast Cars"?

They should have licensed Original of the Species out to Robbie Williams. Would have been one of the best business decisions they ever made.

Its great to see U2's 7th greatest song of all time, Miracle Drug, leading the pack on the album it hails from.

STING2 said:
Its great to see U2's 7th greatest song of all time, Miracle Drug, leading the pack on the album it hails from.

In your opinion. In my opinion, it's amazing to see the masses lap up something so incredibly generic.

ozeeko said:
I tend to dislike songs more when they could've been good rather than just flat-out suck. LAPOE and OOTS are two examples of that. They could've been classic ROCK, but U2 made them safe. They like "Walmarted" the sound. Now "Desire" off Rattle and Hum, that sounded like all-out fuck-you rock.

Oh shit you crack me up. There's nothing safe about LAPOE. And Desire being "all-out-fuck-you rock":lol: , good song but it's just a Bo Diddley riff that U2 made into a cool little song.

Earnie Shavers said:

In your opinion. In my opinion, it's amazing to see the masses lap up something so incredibly generic.

People that come to interference are not the "masses", they are hardcore U2 fans who on average have seen the Vertigo tour 4 to 5 times(based on polling that has been done here) and own every U2 album that has been released.

STING2 said:

People that come to interference are not the "masses", they are hardcore U2 fans who on average have seen the Vertigo tour 4 to 5 times(based on polling that has been done here) and own every U2 album that has been released.

"The masses of interference" STING, not the whole great wider world.

Earnie Shavers said:

In my opinion, it's amazing to see the masses lap up something so incredibly generic.

Yeah because everyone out there writes songs about a paraplegic who became a poet.:rolleyes:

doubleU said:

Oh shit you crack me up. There's nothing safe about LAPOE. And Desire being "all-out-fuck-you rock":lol: , good song but it's just a Bo Diddley riff that U2 made into a cool little song.

And you bewilder the hell out of me. Nothing safe about LAPOE? "We need love and peace"? "Where is the love"? repeated 50 times. Yea, that's some real controversial shit. "Where is the love?" Wasn't that a Hanson song? Now what would've made LAPOE dangerous is if Bono actually said what was on his mind instead of resorting to hippie cliches that even he himself loathes. "Desire" has the immortal line "Preacher stealing hearts at a travelling show. For love or money money money...etc." That's what you might call a tad risque'. And you know what? It made it to #1! "Desire" has something that LAPOE lacks, and that's ATTITUDE! And who cares if it's based on a traditional Bo Diddley riff? Everyone on this forum's always talking about LAPOE's glam influences. And I could care less what it's remniscient of. If the song's less than mediocre, that's all I give a shit about.

ozeeko said:

And you bewilder the hell out of me. Nothing safe about LAPOE? "We need love and peace"? "Where is the love"? repeated 50 times. Yea, that's some real controversial shit. "Where is the love?"

It is when told in the context of "All you daughters of Zion, All you Abraham sons".

That says a lot more than "preacher stealing hearts" line.

doubleU said:

Yeah because everyone out there writes songs about a paraplegic who became a poet.:rolleyes:

I think he was actually referring to the song itself, not the lyrical content. The song could be about Phil The Janitor and it would still suck. Singing a generic sounding song about something that no one's gonna question, like a paraplegic who became a poet, is quite dull in my opinion. What a noble and honerable subject for a song. Bono thank you for bringing this incredible story to light. Now write a good fucking song!

doubleU said:

It is when told in the context of "All you daughters of Zion, All you Abraham sons".

That says a lot more than "preacher stealing hearts" line.

Father Abraham had many sons.
And many sons had Father Abraham.
I am one of them.
And so are you.
So let's all praise the Lord!

Now that's a good song.

Let's just say this. I prefer "Desire" you prefer "Love and Peace or Else." K? Case closed.

ozeeko said:

I think he was actually referring to the song itself, not the lyrical content. The song could be about Phil The Janitor and it would still suck. Singing a generic sounding song about something that no one's gonna question, like a paraplegic who became a poet, is quite dull in my opinion. What a noble and honerable subject for a song. Bono thank you for bringing this incredible story to light. Now write a good fucking song!

I'm not sure you know anything about song writing.

Your arguments are so weak, that I don't even know what you are bitching about.

The lyrical content is part of the "song itself".

doubleU said:

I'm not sure you know anything about song writing.

Your arguments are so weak, that I don't even know what you are bitching about.

The lyrical content is part of the "song itself".

How should I explain this since you opted to play dumb. Take a mainstream song of today...let's pick "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5. Would you say that song sounds generic? God I hope so otherwise all is lost. Let's say that song was actually written about an actual human. A human who lived through hardships blah blah and overcame the odds. And she was afflicted with some type of disorder. Now does the song sound less generic? Maybe in theory. But listen to the song again and it still sounds like safe mainstream generic garbage. Point is: you can say your songs about anything, any subject whatsoever. If the musical aspect of the song sounds generic, and the lyrics chosen don't really help, then it will end up still sounding generic. Not that generic is always a bad thing. It usually is. But even I can sometimes mellow out to a trendy pop tune.

And I do know about songwriting. I'm a songwriter myself and have been since I was in my pre-teens. But enough about me. We can create a new post if you're really interested.

ozeeko said:

How should I explain this since you opted to play dumb. Take a mainstream song of today...let's pick "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5. Would you say that song sounds generic? God I hope so otherwise all is lost. Let's say that song was actually written about an actual human. A human who lived through hardships blah blah and overcame the odds. And she was afflicted with some type of disorder. Now does the song sound less generic? Maybe in theory. But listen to the song again and it still sounds like safe mainstream generic garbage. Point is: you can say your songs about anything, any subject whatsoever. If the musical aspect of the song sounds generic, and the lyrics chosen don't really help, then it will end up still sounding generic. Not that generic is always a bad thing. It usually is. But even I can sometimes mellow out to a trendy pop tune.

Maroon 5 couldn't write themselves out of paperbag and never have been so I'm not sure that analogy works.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if you think Miracle Drug musically sounds like everything else out there on the radio or just compared to U2's catalogue.

WOW this was so amazingly hard...I adore COBL and Miracle Drug and Crumbs....I had to go with COBL for "Time won't take the boy out of this man"- one of , if not the best lyrics on the album!

Who said LAPOE is hippie-schtick? I don't see this song as spreading a message about love and peace saving the world. It's more about begging for it within yourself.

This leads us to an underlying theme running through the entire album, which is quite subtle. If all of us did this kind of begging and searching within ourselves the world would a better place and love and peace would be a more natural result. This idea is the exact opposite of hippie-schtick.

All the hippies ever did was raise their fingers in the peace sign, have sit-ins and talk the talk. They never looked deep within themselves and walk the walk the way HTDAAB does.

i cant believe miracle drug won this poll

rock out with your cock out :rockon:

I think I liked Miracle Drug the best around the time of the poll

now it's a three-way tie between Love and Peace, Original of the Species, and City of Blinding Lights

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom