Favourite moment on each album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scorpionac

War Child
What is your favourite few seconds on each U2 record? Don't have to be in your favourite song, or even be representative of the album. Just the few seconds on the whole thing that work best sonically in the exact place they are in the song and in the track sequencing.

I'll start.

Boy: the guitar riff after "twilight...can't find my way"

War: Only recently heard this album (couldn't decide)

Unforgettable Fire: opening notes of Pride. (there are many 'moments' on this record, for me)

Joshua Tree: "And it comes like a hunter, child" - very cinematic sounding

Achtung: solo in Mysterious Ways, speaks for itself

Zooropa: the guitar during Stay's chorus. It's the best part of the song, IMO. Most people don't seem to like the electric version, but it's so full of atmosphere.

Pop: the heavenly bridge of The Playboy Mansion.

ATYCLB: Walk On: the thesis of the album, spoken over tambourine and piano

HTDAAB: Crumbs: don't like this song, but the verse about psychology and teeth with the double-tracked vocals sounding like a burp at 'ate' is wonderful.

Skipped October, don't own it. Skipped R&H, couldn't be arsed. I'd probably go for any time during the strings in AIWIY, though; who doesn't get shivers? Passengers - feel free to include it in your list.

And finally, a montage of all the bits. http:// w w w . plunder.com/-download-4b8bfd29.htm
Take a listen if you feel like it.

Your turn, Interference. :wave:

boy: the screeching and hissing in out of control and an cabt duh
october: The way october reminds you off the cold,misty Dublin Docks.
War: the sharp bang of sunday bloody sunday.
The unforgettable fire: The orchestral sounds in the unforgettable fire song.
The Joshua Tree: The goosebumps I feel when I hear the organ and eventually thumping base of Streets.
Rattle and hum: 'slapping them down...one hundred!'
Achtung Baby: Sycho introduction to zoo station and the ending of until the end of the world. The way Bono says 'drug'
zooropa: 'I have no compass!'
pop: Disco, Mofo, Doyo. What an opening.
All that you can't: The uplifting guitar and piano of Walk on.
How to dismantle: 'siiiiing!'

Boy: Edge's guitar part after the last chorus in An Cat Dubh.
October: The outro to Gloria.
War: New Year's Day.
The Unforgettable Fire: The second half of Bad.
The Joshua Tree: The outro to One Tree Hill.
Rattle and Hum: The peak of Hawkmoon 269.
Achtung Baby: The second half of Acrobat.
Zooropa: Stay.
Pop: Wake Up Dead Man.
All That You Can't Leave Behind: Kite.
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: The second half of City of Blinding Lights.

Boy: the end of Another Time, Another Place when Bono sings in what sounds like Hebrew or German...something guttural.

October: The epic and impassioned, nearly Babtist revival-meeting lyrics at the end of Tomorrow. Their most unabashedly "Christian" moment.

War: THe last 5 seconds of Drowning Man when the violins start swirling as it fades. I wish that song would last another 30 seconds.

Unforgettable Fire: "Tonight, at last, I am coming home, I am coming home."

Joshua Tree: Edge screeching his chord changes in Red Hill Mining Town.

Rattle and Hum: Bono's voice when he sings "Angel in Devil's Shoes/Salvation in the Blues"

Achtung Baby: The guitar in Love is Blindness. A perfect example of why Edge is one of the best guitar players ever and why so many never "get" him. "Clockworks and cold steel, fingers too numb to feel."

Zooropa: When "Stay" crescendos in the final chorus and Bono just wails that fourth "Stay"

Pop: The transition from the guitar solo into the "sunlight" section in Velvet Dress. Gorgeous.

ATYCLB: My favorite moment didn't make the album. The glorious hallelujah ending of Walk On.

Bomb: The way Man and a Woman makes me feel like I'm in a Middle Eastern disco dancing with super models and the irony involved in setting that mood against the meaning of the song.

Boy: The first few seconds of Into The Heart

October: "...and on..." from October

War: "And maybe the time is right, maybe tonight" from New Year's Day

TUF: The first few seconds of Promenade

TJT: "Desert rose, dreamed I saw a desert rose" from In God's Country

R&H: When Bono sings "you, all I want is you" to end the lyric

AB: The opening of Mysterious Ways.

Zooropa: When Zooropa explodes.

Passengers: "Chasing souls" from One Minute Warning

Pop: The opening of Velvet Dress.

ATYCLB: I don't have one. :reject:

Bomb: Edge at the end of LAPOE

Boy: When Electric Co. fades out and comes back in.
October: All of Tomorrow
War: Edge singing on Seconds
TUF: All of it, especially all of Bad, ASOH, and Bad.
Joshua Tree: Intro of Streets, end of WOWY, all of OTH
R&H: End of AIWIY
AB: All of it.
Zooropa: Lemon.
Pop: September, streets capsizing.
Attyclub: Second half of Beautiful Day
Bomb: City of Blinding Lights

Boy - "A Blackbird makes a Violent Sight" - The way Bono's voice goes all high-pitched in that line on An Cat Dubh

October - The beginning of Tomorrow is so eerie and dark, I love it.

WAR - The heart-pounding drums at the beginning of Like a Song. I also have to give honorable mention to the way Bono does lines like "Talk to you" in Red Light

The Unforgettable Fire - A sort of Homecoming: "No spoken words, just a scream" and then Bono proceeds to belt out a scream sort of thing

The Joshua Tree - Edge's guitar slide after "Outside you hear the city groan" in Bullet the Blue Sky

Rattle and Hum - The haunting beginning of Heartland; it almost feels like a heartbeat; another dark, open-landscape type of thing going on.

Achtung Baby - The "we're going to rock the crap out of this entire album" intro on Zoo Station. Gotta also mention Edge's guitar blip after "Talk about the things you can't explain" on Mysterious Ways.

Zooropa - "Get your head out of the mud baby" - something about the way Bono sings that line on Zooropa; either that or the Edge saying "Don't piss in the drain" on Numb

POP - every moment of this album is perfection. However, if I have to pick just one, it's gotta be the drum fill in Gone right before the "Closer to you everyday" part. Also, perhaps when MOFO kicks right back into the heavy part after the "Mother..." middle section.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - Edge's quiet guitar at the end of Beautiful Day; or the section of New York where Bono goes into the "In the Stillness of the evening" line.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - There are a few favorites on this one: The middle section of Vertigo; Edge singing on Miracle Drug; The fade-in exit solo on Love and Peace; "Time" on City; "Intellectual Tortoise" on ABOY; "How can I hurt when I'm holding you" on AMAAW.

Boy--the segue between ACD & ITH, although I guess technically it's the beginning of ITH.
October--That bass breakdown during Gloria.
War--the beginning of NYD's solo
UF--From ASOH, either "On borderlands we run...." or when the beat changes at the outro
JT--Bono's "Ooooooohh" after the second verse as the drums pick up
R&H--During Love Rescue Me, on Bono's "I say love!!/Climb up the mountains" as the horns come in
AB--The beginning of WGRYWH; guitar in one ear, violin (or whatever the fuck that is) in the other
Zooropa--The piano, Bono, and "Midnight...." together in Lemon
Original Soundtracks 1--Clayton's vocal
POP--Outro of IGWSHA, great drums
ATYCLB--Guitar solo in WILATW
HTDAAB--Bono's "You don't have to be shy about it--NO!" alongside Edge's guitar in OOTS

Boy: The intro to Twilight.
October: The end of Gloria after the bass solo.
War: The distinctive pass and piano opening of NYD.
UF: First few seconds of ASOH.
JT: The climax of OTH.
RAH: Beginning of Heartland.
Achtung: "No new ideas in the house and every book's been read" and the solo from Acrobat.
Zooropa: The transition into "and I have no compass/and I have no map" in the title track.
Passengers: The piano in Beach Sequence.
Pop: The "listen to the words" verse.
ATYCLB: End of WILATW.
HTDAAB: Edge's verse in Miracle Drug.

Passengers: The piano in Beach Sequence.
HTDAAB: Edge's verse in Miracle Drug.

Totally my second choice for Passengers (I used that piece in a short film once), and had I thought about it longer, I may have chosen Edge's final verse line going into Bono's final chorus for HTDAAB.

I also expected this from you, Axver:

Achtung: When it's over.

Nice thread, and, I've enjoyed reading everyone else's stuff:

Boy - Edge after the 2nd verse.

October - Opening piano in I Fall Down.

War - "Maybe the time is right...maybe tonight" in New Year's Day

Unforgettable Fire - Shockingly, ASOH, from "The wind will crack" to "she will die and live again....tonight" Get chills just typing about it.

Joshua Tree - One Tree Hill: "And when it's raining...raining hard...that's when the rain will...break my heart". Chills again, sorry. :)

Rattle and Hum - Heartland, Bono's voice during "Through the ghost-ranch hills, Death Valley waters....in the towers of steel, belief goes on and on".

Achtung Baby - Edge's guitar solo in "Until the End of the World". So colorful.

Zooropa - As said earlier, when Zooropa explodes. I'll never forget hearing that for the first time, wow.

Original Soundtracks 1 - Just the simple piano during Beach Sequence. :shrug:

POP - "Goodbye, and it's emotional, good night...I'll be up with the sun you're still holding on....I'm not coming down....I'm not coming down....I'm not coming down"

All That You Can't Leave Behind - As Laz said, the guitar solo in When I Look at the World

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Edge's cascading guitar as Bono sings "oooooh" during City of Blinding Lights

War: THe last 5 seconds of Drowning Man when the violins start swirling as it fades. I wish that song would last another 30 seconds.

Maybe it's best to leave you hanging like that, no?

Pop: The transition from the guitar solo into the "sunlight" section in Velvet Dress. Gorgeous.

I totally agree, simple and so beautiful.

AB--The beginning of WGRYWH; guitar in one ear, violin (or whatever the fuck that is) in the other

Also great. :up:

Boy:Into the heart
October:Gloria
War:Surrender
Unforgettable Fire:When the drums come in on A Sort of Homecoming
Wide Awake:Beginning of Bad
Joshua Tree:Instrumental Chorus of Mothers of Dissapeared
Rattle and Hum:Interview seques into Desire Intro
Achtung Baby:Bridge on Wild Horses
Zooropa:Lets go the overground on Zooropa
Passengers:When Bono First sings on Slug
Pop:Chorus on Gone
ATYCLB:Bridge on Kite
HTDAAB:Chorus of Original of the species

"October, talk getting nowhere. November, December, remember? Are we just startin againnnnnnn?...PLEAAAAAAAAASE..."

Easily my favorite moment on POP.

Boy: segue from An Cat Dubh to Into the Heart
October: When Bono first starts singing in "October"
War: "I will be with you again"
Unforgettable Fire: "I am coming home"
Joshua Tree: Bono wailing away at the end of With or Without You
Rattle and Hum: "Like a drifter needs a room, Hawkmoon, I need your love"
Achtung Baby: "Your love was like a lightbulb hanging over my head"
Zooropa: When Zooropa the song bursts into full-blown mode
Pop: Final verse of Please: "September streets capsizing"
ATYCLB: Bono's listing lyrics on Walk On
HTDAAB: When COBL bursts into the stratosphere

Boy: The opening bass riff in The Ocean :drool:

October: The guitar in Gloria

War: The lap steel in Surrender with the backup singers

The Unforgettable Fire: Pride's opening notes and riff

R&H: Intro to God Pt. 2; one of my fav lyrics from Bono

Achtung Baby: The pipe or whistle or whatever it is at the begining of Until The End of the World

Zooropa: The simple guitar riff in Dirty Day

Pop: Edge's falsetto during the bridge in Last Night on Earth (clock tell her that time is slipping...:drool:)

ATYCLB: Opening drums to Stuck in a Moment

HTDAAB: Piano on Original of the Species

Boy: the opening of A Day Without Me - drums pounding and guitar wailing.

October: piano on October.

War: the extra verse in New Year's Day that is never played live - "Oh, maybe the time is right... oh, maybe tonight".

TUF: opening notes of Pride, opening vocal on MLK

TJT: "and in the world a heart of darkness, a firezone, where poets speak their hearts and bleed for it"

R&H: All Along The Watchtower, the closing two minutes of AIWIY

Achtung: the verse beginning "no, nothing makes sense, nothing seems to fit; I know you'd hit out, if you only knew who to hit...", opening few seconds of One.

Zooropa: "three o'clock in the morning, it's quiet and there's no-one around; just the bang and the clatter, as an angel runs to ground".

Pop: "goodbye, and it's an emotional goodnight, I'll be up with the sun - are you still holding on?", "So love is big, is bigger than us; but love is not what you're thinking of".

ATYCLB: In A Little While, Grace.

HTDAAB: A Man And A Woman, One Step Closer.

Boy: Well I have two, but they're both from "Shadows and Tall Trees", the first one is "Anything redeeming/Any worthwhile feeling/ Is love like a tightrope/Hanging from my ceiling." And then there's also towards the end when they start doing the "Shadow Shadow Shadow" thing. I love both of those moments

October: The first 47 seconds of "Scarlet"

War: "Surrender", from "She tried to be a good girl and a good wife" to "Gotta find out find out what she's living for". Though this is definitely just right now. There are many different favorite moments for me on War, it's an always changing thing.

The Unforgettable Fire: Easily the solo in "The Unforgettable Fire", but a fairly close second would be "This bomb-blast lightning waltz".

The Joshua Tree: The intro to "Streets". I thought maybe I wouldn't be quite so cliched but, why should I lie?

Rattle & Hum: The backing vocals on "Heartland", both throughout the songs, and especially those towards the end.

Achtung Baby: From 4:26 til the end of "Ultra Violet". Yeah, I know that's painfully specific.

Zooropa: "Zooropa", "Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright/Uncertainty can be a guiding light"

Passengers: I still haven't listened to this album enough to know for sure, but I really do adore just everything about "Slug", so let's just go with that.

Pop: The uh...unintelligible rambling towards the end of "If God Will Send His Angels"

ATYCLB: Though it's probably one of my least favorite songs on the album, I still can't get enough of "Man dreams one day to fly/A man takes a rocketship into the skies/He lives on a star that's dying in the night/And follows in the trail/The scatter of light" from "In A Little While". But more seriously, the music during the "It's summer, I can taste the salt of the sea" part of "Kite", and the outtro for "Walk On".

HTDAAB: A shot in the dark on this one, if I had to pick, it'd be "I'm on an island in a busy intersection/I can't go forward now I can't turn back/Can't see the future/It's getting away from me/I just watch the tail lights glowing"

I know I mentioned a lot of lyrics, but, for the most part that's just to place where in the song I'm talking about. It's got everything to do with everything going on at those particular parts of the songs. And I spent way too much time on this post.

Boy: transition between An cat dubh and Into the heart.
October: Gloria riff.
War: the start of NYD.
UF: "Oh, tell me, Cherry you dance with me, Turn me around tonight, Up through the spiral staircase to the higher ground."
JT: WOWY intro.
Rattle and Hum: "heaven knows this is a heartland" falsetto bit in Heartland.
AB: "love, like a screaming flower, love dying every hour." along with some gorgeous keyboard/falsetto.
Zooropa: "stay, with the spirit I found, stay, with the demons I drowned, stay and the night would be enough".
Pop: "then will there be no time for sorrow, then will there be no time for shame and though I can't say why, I know I've got to believe".
ATYCLB: BD's "touch me/teach me" part - both the riff and Bono's delivery.
Bomb: "I'm alive, I'm being born, I just arrived, I’m at the door Of the place I started out from And I want back inside" and that scream right before the solo.

Boy: Transition An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart;
October: The first seconds of Scarlet;
War: Like A Song(Let the bells ring out/Let the bells ring out/Is there nothing left?/Is there, is there nothing?/Is there nothing left?/Is honesty what you want?-then the solo);
TUF: Promenade, whole song...
TJT: Easily the intro to WTSHNN;
R&H: The first seconds of Heartland;
AB: Beginning of Acrobat;
Zooropa: Zooropa riff;
Passengers: Your Blue Room(We see me slide down/Won't you give me a home/So much for change);
Pop: Please(September, streets capsizing/Spilling over down the drains/Shard of glass, splinters like rain/But you could only feel your own pain...);
ATYCLB: The Ground Beneath Her Feet coda;
HTDAAB: The intro to City Of Blinding Lights.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Mercy sucks.

;) :lmao:

Boy: Electric Co's solo
October: The first 3 min of Tomorrow
War: the last two songs
TUF: Bad
TJT: The last minute of WOYW // The outro of MOTD
R&H: 3:40-4:40 of Hawkmoon 269 // 1:40-1:57 of God Part II
AB: So Cruel
Zooropa: The transition between the title track // DGPFYCC opening
Pop: MOFO intro
ATYCLB: Elevation
HTDAAB: COBL intro

Boy
The Electric Co.: The bridge just takes me back to Vertigo Tour renditions

October
Tomorrow: the bridge and second half - absolutely spine tingling. "Jesus coming"

War
New Year's Day: the guitar solo is classic U2
Drowning Man: the intro especially

The Unforgettable Fire
Pride (In The Name of Love): the very beginning with the guitar and drums

The Joshua Tree
With or Without You: Adam's bassline with Bono's subtle vocals at the beginning is one of the most chilling moments in music

Rattle and Hum
God Part II: "Don't believe in the 60s / the golden age of pop"

Achtung Baby
Mysterious Ways: Bridge and guitar solo
Love is Blindness: Opening parts

Zooropa
Lemon: the introduction is totally "new U2"
Dirty Day: guitar solo - electric live :drool:
Some Days Are Better Than Others: Adam's bassline is an infectious groove. I love this song, despite what most people here think!

Original Soundtracks 1
Your Blue Room: the mini bass solo at the end

Pop
Gone: guitar intro is awesome
If You Wear That Velvet Dress: the introduction and spoken lyrics are mesmerising and beautiful
Wake Up Dead Man: the bridge with the spoken words "listen to the..."

All That You Can't Leave Behind
New York: guitar opening and spoken lyrics
Beautiful Day: the bridge

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Vertigo: "hello hello"
City of Blinding Lights: "the more you see, the less you know"

Boy - into of An cat dubh
October - 2nd part Rejoice
War - intro New Years Day
Unforgettable Fire - start A sort of homecoming
Joshua Tree - 2nd part Red Hill Mining Town
Rattle & Hum - Solo All I want is you
Achtung Baby - Solo The fly
Zooropa - Lemon
POP - last part Wake up dead man
All that you can't ... - start Stuck in a moment ...
How to dismantle ... - start Crumbs on yoru Table

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom