favorite U2 album titles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
There has been quite a bit of discussion about the new album title, so now let's discuss favorite U2 titles from past albums. What is your very favorite U2 album title? If you can't decide on just one, that's fine too -- I'm not too picky here -- list 'em if you want.

Feel free to give your reasons, thoughts, whatever.

I like the simple titles the best -- Boy, October, War -- and I guess they are my top three. As far as my favorite...well, hard tp pick a really clear fave from those, but I like the feeling I get from October, so October it is!

I like Achtung Baby. Its even cool if you dont know what "Achtung" means lol. And to be honest, I love How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Amazing title IMO

Larry was unsure of the direction in which U2 was taking their new style. He didn't think the new style grabbed his attention enough during the early days of Achtung Baby recordings (he thought it was somewhat bland). Eventually after a while the music got spiced up quite a bit and developed into the record we know now. Bono (or Edge) named it Achtung Baby because the style of music was approved by Larry and it really grasped his attention.
So Achtung = attention and Baby = Larry! True story!

My favourite title, well ...

1. Under A Blood Red Sky
1. Zooropa
1. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

They're all awesome in their own way.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Under a Blood Red Sky
3. Rattle and Hum
4. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
5. Zooropa

AussieU2fanman said:
Larry was unsure of the direction in which U2 was taking their new style. He didn't think the new style grabbed his attention enough during the early days of Achtung Baby recordings (he thought it was somewhat bland). Eventually after a while the music got spiced up quite a bit and developed into the record we know now. Bono (or Edge) named it Achtung Baby because the style of music was approved by Larry and it really grasped his attention.
So Achtung = attention and Baby = Larry! True story!

I thought Achtung Baby came from the Mel Brooks movie "The Producers". The band figured with all of the pretentious criticisms that came with Rattle & Hum, they would name the new album something that wouldn't get them accused of being so serious.

My favorite title is Achtung Baby -- I can't remember why anymore though.

my personal favourites:

boy -- ingenious for a debut release

october -- takes me to a different place

my number pick: war -- pure perfection

AquariumDrinker said:

I thought Achtung Baby came from the Mel Brooks movie "The Producers". The band figured with all of the pretentious criticisms that came with Rattle & Hum, they would name the new album something that wouldn't get them accused of being so serious.

My favorite title is Achtung Baby -- I can't remember why anymore though.

I thought one of the sound engineers/technicians was constantly repeating the phrase "achtung baby" during the recording of the album, and so naming it.

Favorite titles:

War
Joshua Tree
All that you can't leave behind

Perfect descriptions of what the albums were about.

It's hard to rank the album titles without taking into consideration what was on the album, in other words what title was most appropriate for the context within the album.

Viewed with that context, I have to say "Achtung Baby" and "All that you can't leave behind" are my two favourite titles. "Achtung Baby" is a the "warning label" on the album that contains some explosive, dark and sexy songs- be careful what you ask for! "ATYCLB" coupled w/ the idea that everything you bring with you is absolutely essential- is a pretty powerful. Obviously U2 play up the theme of LOVE, as well as one's own self, as being the major components that can't be left behind.

As usual I can't decide on just one "favourite." I'm going to add that in context of each other, "Boy" and "War" were brilliantly named.

Most brilliantly named: War (describes the album perfectly, simple yet powerful)
Most badass: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (everyone's saying it's cheesy, but I think it sounds very rock 'n roll!)
Most fun to say: Achtung Baby (I could say the word 'achtung' forever :D)

I think in 10-20 years from now, HTDAAB will make sense because of the context of the world we live in today

Personal pick would be War (I am biased!!!) but really, it is short and to the point.

I also think Boy is a great name for that debut album and I have been in a bit of a boy zone for the past month (realy digging this album lately..)

I also like Achtung Baby- not that the guys needed to grab that much 'attention' with the hype that surrounded the whole Fly, zoo era, but a great title nonetheless......

actually I like all of their titles, except for the new one, seems a little cheesey to me just now, who knows, maybe it will grow on me or seem more appropriate once I have the album and have listened to it through and through...

Last edited:
The Unforgettable Fire, Under A Blood Red Sky, Joshua Tree, War, Achtung Baby - in that order (as far as favorite album titles in concerned).

All that you cant leave behind
(cos that album means the world to me)

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
(it´s just toooooo cool for words,
how on earth did they come up with that??!)

oliveu2cm said:
It's hard to rank the album titles without taking into consideration what was on the album, in other words what title was most appropriate for the context within the album.

yeha
i'm finding it difficult to separate my opinions of the albums and what they mean to me from my opinions of the name. also the sleeve art is playing a big part too, i cant think of War as a single entity i.e. just a name because i keep on getting that really stiring image of Peter Rowan in my brain

that said, if i were to try be as unbias as possible, id probably go for Zooropa, Achtung Baby and ATYCLB. But i also really like War

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. Under a Blood Red Sky

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom