even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking about picking up an iPad

but, this probably makes more sense.

the 11 inch has a 5 hour battery and the 13 inch is 7 hours :shrug:

I'm still not sure if I buy the Macbook Air. They're making an excellent case for it, but where exactly does it go with Apple's current product positioning?

iPhone / iPod Touch for simple mobile computing tasks.

iPad for consumption of content at home and in the workplace, and light editing.

Macbook Air goes here? Not as sexy and sleek as an iPad, but not as capacious storage-wise as a big boy laptop.

Macbook and Macbook Pro for home and on-the-go big boy computing.

Where does the Macbook Air fit in there? There's still no way you can get by with an Air as your main PC. Sure, if you have a desktop already you'd love to have one, but I can't see someone bothering to pick up an Air if they still have to have that external HD at home, as well as a separate DVD drive for when the Air needs third-party software installed that comes on media.

We are indeed headed for an Air future, with no physical media, app-store software installation and updates, etc. I think it's a couple of years off still, though.

I'd still hold off on a Macbook Air for another hardware revision or three. The price of flash memory for storage is still a bit much, and will only come down as more and more of it is manufactured.

iPhone / iPod Touch for music, email, social networking on the go.

Macbook Air - light weigt for on the go, at home on the sofa, in the workplace, or at Starbucks, you can do your school work or real work and send it to a printer.

Macbook and Macbook Pro for big boy computing.

iPad - just a bigger iTouch, no keyboard, no printing. No real purpose.
It may cause people to rethink an air purchase, it has for me and kramwest1.

iPad - just a bigger iTouch, no keyboard, no printing. No real purpose.
It may cause people to rethink an air purchase, it has for me and kramwest1.
I dunno, I think in the long run we'll see people moving to consuming content on devices like the iPad. Sitting down to read a long article or book on the iPad, watch video, do light tasks such as email; so much better than on a laptop or desktop.

You're never going to be writing a paper on an iPad, but I guess my point is all the gripes you'd have with an iPad vs. an iPhone/Touch as close relatives can carry over to the Macbook Air vs. a Macbook or Macbook Pro.

The much more interesting stuff from the keynote, and the stuff that will be more game-changing, is the App store for the desktop Macs coming. I also like the Mission Control feature, that is basically tying together all the good ideas Apple has had with navigation on OSX.

iOS has been such a game-changer in the mobile computing market in general, it is now starting to seep into the desktop, and there's no stopping it like it or not. Either look at it as easier, more efficient computing coming to the desktop, or the dumbing down of desktop computing. I'm not sure what to think yet.

I'm amazed how little of my internal HD I use on my main laptop (about half of my 160GB). But, that is because I have a separate MacBook for my music and TV.

I laughed at the Air when it was first introduced, but now, I'm half-serious. I love the iPad, but really the concept more than the actual product. I think the size, functionality and portability of the little MacBook Air is awesome. I've been envying people's Netbooks for a while.

I like the tiny one. $1200 for the 128GB version, that's not too much more than an iPad for infinitely more functionality.

:drool::drool::drool:

exactly my thoughts as well - have always enjoyed the idea of the iPad but kept holding off due to lack of keyboard and the feeling that it really is just a big toy ~ shiny and pretty and all, but still a toy . . . this however :drool:

Macbook Air - light weigt for on the go, at home on the sofa, in the workplace, or at Starbucks, you can do your school work or real work and send it to a printer.

:up: . . . I know what I'll be asking Santa for :yes:

Mac App Store 'disruptive' say experts - Computerworld

Something is happening right before our eyes

and no one is really talking about it.

I don't know how much more market share Apple can get with the iPad and newer Air Books.

But what they are both really about is software, how we get, use and most importantly pay for software, and ever video content.

When music went digital from analog, i. e. from LPs to CDs it was only a matter of time until, digital CD evolved to digital MP3s. Then a small step to iTunes.

App store on computers, will kill many traditional software makers and have us paying fees for things we now get for free.

It's about moving from an open system to a closed system, for better or for worse.

Apple's attitude is that "it just works". They want your experience to be top notch and as simple as possible; from the moment you choose an app to buy to the moment you open it. No technology company integrates its hardware and software as much as Apple has done with the iPod/iPhone+iTunes+App Store ecosystem.

It's a reason why so many people love their iOS devices, and a reason why other people hate the idea of a closed app ecosystem.

My old iPhone fell into a deep coma yesterday and today I came terms with the fact that he was, in fact, dead.

Picked up the new iPhone. Beautiful display. Can't complain so far. If it does in 18 months like his predecessor, then I'll be annoyed.

that'll probably happen to me. too.

Next month it will be 3 years, with a 1st generation iPhone.

It was replaced about a year ago when it quit, cost me about $200 then.

I keep thinking I may go Android, but I know if it dies, I will just run down and buy a new one.

I still can't justify getting an Android phone over an iPhone, besides cost savings. My cellphone does not need a Windows-esque task manager and the App Store variety is too hard a resource to kick to the curb.

:rimshot:

I quite like the idea of those headsets actually (just not the, um, rather disturbing visual images that populate my sad little mind when I say 'iMuff' . . . :shifty: :lol: ) and it will be somewhat interesting to see if Apple end up using the technology for anything interesting or not . . . I'm actually more intrigued by the story that appeared at the bottom of the link

Tiny MacBook Air SSDs from Toshiba now available to everyone

the idea of being able to upgrade a shiny new macbook is :hyper: :drool:

Wow, Apple, way to give us new text tones, all of which are worse than the originals.

Has anyone else been getting choppy video through iTunes? --not horrible but just enough to be annoying
The TV shows I subscribe to suck because of the last iTunes update. I know I could revert to the last version of iTunes, but I had to update because I was having problems with the iTunes Store. Damn you Steve Jobs! I want my life back!

(Anyway, if you watch iTunes stuff via Quicktime, it is normal.)

(Oh, and a massive FUCK YOU to Apple and Costco for abandoning the discounted iTunes cards. Sure I was abusing it, but come on.)

I have enough Christmas money to buy a small iPad. is this even worth thinking about?

Since those bastards still won't give me an iPhone for my Verizon, and iPad is as close as I can get to giving Apple my Christmas cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom