even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've learned to pass on first gen Apple items, so hopefully the second get iPad delivers, as I would not mind one.

damnit, i want handwriting-to-text software. :grumpy:

deadhorse.gif

Fucking finally, I guess we have Apple's response to USB 3.0:

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

Performance and expansion never seen on a notebook before.

With 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions, Thunderbolt I/O technology lets you move data to and from peripherals up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0 and more than 12 times faster than with FireWire 800. Two 10-Gbps channels on the same connector mean you can daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices and a display, without using a hub — and without reducing performance.

i'd been trying to look at the store all evening but it was down. i wondered what the announcement was going to be.

and it definitely looks like i'll be able to get an ipad soon. jive turkey, you're truly awesome for showing me i could do what i want with the ipad. now i'll wait and see what all is new with the ipad to see whether it's worth waiting for that one or just getting the one that's out now. at least when they announce new/updated hardware there's not months to wait, in case ipad 2.0 is worth waiting for.

i'd been trying to look at the store all evening but it was down. i wondered what the announcement was going to be.

and it definitely looks like i'll be able to get an ipad soon. jive turkey, you're truly awesome for showing me i could do what i want with the ipad. now i'll wait and see what all is new with the ipad to see whether it's worth waiting for that one or just getting the one that's out now. at least when they announce new/updated hardware there's not months to wait, in case ipad 2.0 is worth waiting for.

No problem :)

And even if you don't think the new one is worth waiting for, if you still wait and then buy the previous version, you can save some $$

From what I've heard, the main differences are front and rear cameras, slimmer design, lighter weight, and I assume more storage space. I'm sure they'll have something else up their sleeves too

Now that the developer beta release of OS X Lion is out, I'm much more reassured about its potential, I really didn't like a lot of the ideas they talked about in the preview of it last fall, but the execution looks top notch. That said, launchpad is dumb, I hope the application launcher on the dock survives, and I'll really miss the name Snow Leopard :sad:.

Now that the developer beta release of OS X Lion is out, I'm much more reassured about its potential, I really didn't like a lot of the ideas they talked about in the preview of it last fall, but the execution looks top notch. That said, launchpad is dumb, I hope the application launcher on the dock survives, and I'll really miss the name Snow Leopard :sad:.
Launchpad won't take over the Mac OS.
  • Usability testing shows that people aren't comfortable with holding their arms out in front of them in front of a desktop/laptop, so don't expect touch/swipe interfaces on screens
  • Apple would never give a big middle finger to the professional developer and creative communities who rely on being able to control every little thing about their Macs, and replace Mac OS with some dumbed-down touch interface like iOS
Although with Apps now on Mac desktops and laptops, it seems like Apple is in kind of a weird transitional middleground with how we're supposed to be using home computers compared with iPhones and iPads.

iOS was derived from OS X, it should be gaining more features from it's big brother, not the other way around. :sigh:

Mission Control, saved application states, version history, etc. all seem to be solid additions to OS X though.

I'm not sure about that...iOS has been an os designed from the ground up for mobile devices, and for a touch interface.

The big colourful buttons, tabs, toggle switches. It's basically a dumbed-down OSX if you think about it.

That's why it seems a bit hamfisted when they bring it back to the Mac OSX desktop environment.

From the rumors and my own use I swore I wouldn't catch the bug of needing to upgrade to the new iPad, but damn now that it's here it's so much more tempting than I expected.

At the very least the software upgrade that we'll all get is exciting, I was hoping for a version of Garageband for iPad since launch, and now we're getting one!

Did it bother the 15 million people that bought one last year? Apple just started the first step in making Thunderbolt the new standard for data, power and a/v combined, I would expect the next refresh on each of their PCs to receive it, and then the next versions of their mobile devices to at least be compatible.

Did it bother the 15 million people that bought one last year? Apple just started the first step in making Thunderbolt the new standard for data, power and a/v combined, I would expect the next refresh on each of their PCs to receive it, and then the next versions of their mobile devices to at least be compatible.

Yup. I think that means I'll hold off on my MacBook Air (mini) until it has Thunderbolt.

I dunno, I'm not sure if I want to jump on the Thunderbolt train yet.

Apple tried for years to push the (arguably superior) Firewire standard over USB and failed there.

Rumor has it MBA should see it by June. I'm excited to get one of those as well when I get back out on the road for work some more later this year, pretty much the most amazing piece of computer hardware ever assembled, :drool:.

Apple has a lot more clout now with their mobile device / consumer electronics market share than when they pushed FireWire, and TB is Intel's baby and has so many advantages over USB 3.0 even. If they can get the optical factor down (current TB devices will still be wired with copper) it'll be an even bigger game changer.

I dunno, I'm not sure if I want to jump on the Thunderbolt train yet.

Apple tried for years to push the (arguably superior) Firewire standard over USB and failed there.

Why do you say that? Perhaps it's just the field that I'm in, but everyone that I deal with uses firewire on the majority of their devices

FireWire is still used by the media creation sector, but he's right that it was never a standard, notice how everything uses USB 2.0.

I always just assumed that was a cost issue: give people the cheaper usb unless they want to pay more for better quality

Thanks, although I have no idea what this means. :wink:

:doh: I shouldn't have talked matter of factly given how you said you weren't a tech person! They sold 15 million iPads in 2010 without USB, and their new line of MacBook Pros introduced last week are the first consumer product to have Intel's new connector port called Thunderbolt which can carry data, power and video/audio simultaneously. It's being positioned to replace USB, HDMI, FireWire, all proprietary power ports, etc. and I assume Apple given their first-in-line status and big impact on the consumer electronics industry will begin putting it on all their computers and mobile devices during the next year to help cement Thunderbolt's status as a standard for connectivity of all kinds.

I have no illusions that use of Thunderbolt may be limited to those truly in the Mac universe, but I accepted that a long time ago. Apples are not the cheapest or most available option in most categories, but I do love their stuff and will continue to commit to it for years to come. (As long as they continue to put out superior quality stuff)

And MBAirs to have it in June? :drool:
I should hold off for a bit longer than that though. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom