European Set Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
August 31, not that they'll probably do much with that extra week

Any changes would have been planned months ago.. rehearsals are just rehearsals, practising. If they play the same gig in Europe, politically, I'll be flabbergasted.

U2 of the last 2 album cycles only does things that make zero sense and end with a general sense of being flabbergasted.

The only change will be Acrobat out for stuck in a moment.

All I think gets changed is that Summer of Love is added and American Soul is dropped. I think there's a chance Staring at the Sun is where Summer of Love gets slotted in, in which case something else replaces AS. I also wouldn't mind if the IE version of Zooropa makes a comeback.

U2 of the last 2 album cycles only does things that make zero sense and end with a general sense of being flabbergasted.

The swap on the I&E tour in Europe to 'October' and 'Zooropa' wasn't huge but it was brilliantly done and enough of a change without changing what was already a great gig. That's more what I expect rather than anything major, but was completely relevant to the situation in Europe.

Excited for Manchester nonetheless. Actually I'm not all that excited, perhaps as I usually would be but maybe that's a good thing. I've gone past the over-analysis and pre-expectation.. I'm becoming more sanguine in my old age, but did cry with tears of joy for the first time at a U2 gig last year, 'Bad' in London so the faith is still strong!

oh they better not :angry:

Came here looking for european soul!

Oh God no

How about this:

Love Is All We Have Left - You're the Best Thing About Me

Summer of Love (Acoustic)
Zooropa (Full Song, not IE version)
Get Out of Your Own Way (Maybe with an XXX snippet transition into...)
City of Blinding Lights
Pride (Band on stage, not on platforms like in North America)

One - 13

So that's Staring at the Sun and American Soul replaced with Summer of Love and Zooropa. For whatever reason I'm really feeling Zooropa.

Last edited:
Surprised no rehearsals yet at the venue, perhaps later today then we will start to know the changes.

I think they just starting setting up, so probably constricted by venue schedule. I only expect minor changes, so they don't need a ton of time. How much did they take before IE Europe? A day or two to get October-Bullet-Zooropa-Streets down?

U2 could pull off all of this quite easily. Most of it, with the exception of opening w/Zoo/Zooropa, is realistic.

Opening video to updated version of:

1) Zoo Station (rotate Zooropa, full song).
2) The Blackout
3) The Best Thing (full band)
4) I Will Follow
5) Gloria (rotate Two Hearts and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart)
6) Beautiful Day
7) The Ocean
8) Iris
9) Sunday Bloody Sunday (full band, JT 2017)
10) Raised by Wolves (rotate Red Flag Day) *1 of 2 has to be there every night.
11) Until the end of the world

Intermission- anything but Hold Me cartoon........

12) Vertigo
13) Desire (rotate Hold Me, Thrill Me)
14) The Showman
15) Acrobat
16) Stay (rotate Wild Horses)
17) Summer of love
18) Pride
19) Get out of your own way
20) City of blinding lights

Encore 1

21) Little Things
22) Bad/40
23) Streets

Encore 2.................One campaign/causes video

24) One
25) Love is bigger
26) Kite
27) All I want is you

In my opinion, you do a few minor things and it's a much improved show.

-Make the show Tulsa/ European Innocence leg length.
-Add Streets, Bad & All I Want Is You for hits/fan favorites. (No, 1 JT song won't kill them!)
-Swap out a few SOE songs that didn't work as well to make room for debuts of songs not yet played.
-Cut back the SOI and rotate just a little more. SOI is a favorite of mine as well, but they're not about to become Bruce, so you have to drop and/or rotate somewhere. Streets shouldn't sit out so that they can play Cedarwood Rd half as well as they did in 2015.

I think SOE is very strong and still growing on me, but after seeing the Boston shows, it was very clear to me what could stand to be cut out of the show.

Love is all.................lip synch, half ass, why bother? Might as well have played it over the PA before the show.

13- Beautiful song, best left on the album. Nowhere to put it besides closing- and it's just a big "WTF" moment in that slot.

Lights of Home- Was a dud live with the exception of the visuals which weren't enough to save a canned performance. Definitely the low point of the shows I saw.

Last edited:
Wonder what song will have the European flag and do we get a big Union Jack for the uk shows :)

So to recap the changes are:

#5 Red Flag Day (presumably remains rotational)
#14 Even Better than the Real Thing in place of Desire
#17 Summer of Love in place of Staring at the Sun
#20 New Year's Day in place of American Soul

Encore unknown

Back
Top Bottom