Ending a Longtime Friendship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

preciousstone

The Fly
I just recently ended a fifteen-year close friendship with a highschool pal, and now I'm doubting on whether I was being justified and fair, or whether I was in the right or wrong. I trust you will give unjudgmental feedback since you have no reason to be biased on either party.

My friend recently displayed a lack of loyalty by badmouthing me in front of other people and allowing a certain person badmouthing me and even verbally AND nearly physically attacking me. She even went so far as to leaving me at the bar alone while she chatted with him gayly in the corner, far away from me, even hugging him and telling him that she has always liked him, right in front me, and right after the altercation happened.

I require fierce loyalty with my friends, as I do need it. People are always trying to break me down, they don't understand me and since I'm different and I don't conform to society as well as they'd like me to, I'm snubbed like an outcast. I stick out like a sore thumb, I'm always the center of attention, and some people can't handle it. I've always had one or two people that strongly disliked me. It comes with the territory.

My definition of fierce loyalty is always backing up your friends, be it during conversation when someone slips in an insult about your friend- you don't allow it, you contradict their effort to shoot your friend down (it's a total disrespect and lack of class for someone to badmouth your best friend right in front of you anyhow) to always being there for your best friend and taking their feelings into consideration. (Unfortunately sophistication, grace, empathy, intelligence, sensitivity, and class are a rarity nowadays.)

I don't want anyone to hold me back during a fight, yet to stand behind me and make sure I don't get an unfair punch, I expect for people NOT to tolerate any insult made about me- making their allegations void and null, I expect an apology when my feelings are hurt due to my friend's actions or lack of actions thereof, I expect honesty- yet with tact, if there's something that I need to fix internally- let me know, but try not to hurt my feelings while doing so. I expect that if I'm on a downward spiraling or self-destructive path, that my friends would confront me on or perhaps stage an invervention. I expect that if someone is abusing me, physically, emotionally, or even without my knowledge (like a lover cheating on you or stealing from you or something along that criteria, etc) my friends will be strong enough during the time I possibly won't have enough strength to even stand on my own two feet, and they will help me realize that I need to leave this person for my own health and happiness and they will be honest and upfront with me- with tact, always.
I expect for my friends to always be there or at least try to be when I'm having a rough time, return calls in a prompt manner, to call in and cancel when they can't make a date, and never cancel last minute for their significant other or a date. I expect friends to especially listen to me. Listen to what I say. Just listen.
You never necessarily have to figure and solve the problem for me, but sometimes I just really need a good listener and that, in its own, creates a realm of peace and faith.

Now I'm not expecting these things without giving them.
I have demonstrated all of these qualities time and time again.
It's easy.
You just have to stand back and say to yourself, "How would I like to be treated in this situation?"

Therefore I give nothing but the best, and 100%, fierce loyalty to my good friends and now I'm being ostracized and picked apart for it by my friend in question. She disagreed with my idea of loyalty and said that all of that should not be expected within friendship.

I say, "With friends like you, who needs enemies?"

Who is right?

Based on what you have stated with what your friend did I feel you were in the right. Was pretty crappy of her to badmouth you while you were standing right there. And though I don't expect anyone to fight my battles it is nice to know that my friends will back me up somehow during a tough situation. So no you aren't asking too much for the loyalty and support.

Btw Im guessing that your friend believes that what she did wasn't out of line at all?

Yes she said she didn't do anything wrong and that she was just being "neutral" during the situation, but I heard her loudly and clearly agreeing with him about his insults about me.

It sounds like your friend probably did the wrong thing, but you also sound way too judgmental and demanding. Fights happen, don't end a friendship unless this is a continuous pattern.

Not sure what you meant about people always trying to break you down and being an outcast, as you didn't explain that (not that you have to), but it sounds like you either have legitimate reasons for being upset or you simply place yourself on a soapbox to get criticized. As I said, I don't know your situation so don't take that personally.

I think you did the right thing too. We can pick and choose our friends, and if this one was not being loyal put them behind you, hold your head up high and go on to find new friends who WILL treat you the way you want to be treated and supported which is the way you will treat and support them. Good luck.

Actually to respond to bsp...this is, sadly, a continuous pattern on her behalf.
I feel like a fucking doormat because she continues to screw me over, (ie we were roommates back in 2000 and without notice, she packed up and left overnight, leaving a note saying "Either find a roommate, pay the next months rent by yourself, or move out."
I've since grown up and matured, but it seems as if she hasn't. For instance, she slept with my sister's longtime boyfriend- ten years ago- and when my sister found out- this was still highschool- my sister beat her up, and this has been TEN years and my 'friend' still continues to harvest resent and anger and bitterness towards me, as if it were something that fell upon my area of fault.
I'm sorry but I think I did the right thing.
This person only cares about one thing and has loyalty in one thing...and that is herself.
Like I said, she has no other friends, now we know why.

preciousstone said:
Actually to respond to bsp...this is, sadly, a continuous pattern on her behalf.
I feel like a fucking doormat because she continues to screw me over, (ie we were roommates back in 2000 and without notice, she packed up and left overnight, leaving a note saying "Either find a roommate, pay the next months rent by yourself, or move out."
I've since grown up and matured, but it seems as if she hasn't. For instance, she slept with my sister's longtime boyfriend- ten years ago- and when my sister found out- this was still highschool- my sister beat her up, and this has been TEN years and my 'friend' still continues to harvest resent and anger and bitterness towards me, as if it were something that fell upon my area of fault.
I'm sorry but I think I did the right thing.
This person only cares about one thing and has loyalty in one thing...and that is herself.
Like I said, she has no other friends, now we know why.

Then you deifinitely did the right thing. I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, we just didn't have any details about the situation or your past friendship. I felt uncomfortable with everyone advising you to end a long term friendship without that detail.

It has now been a week and I feel as if I were justified. I don't miss her at all. Sometimes I felt like as if I were talking to a wall because I would talk to her and then she would totally not pay attention to me, and then turn the subject into herself.

*BSP, I understand how you were feeling when it first came up and ending a longtime friendship over something that it seems petty seemed unjustified, because if it were only that one thing, it would be.
But there is a fine line between being forgiving and having grace and putting yourself out as a doormat for someone that, frankly, doesn't give a shit about you. I have forgiven her many times, probably about a dozen times in our longtime friendship. In all of these years she has proven herself as selfish, flaky, unloyal, dishonest, conceited, spoiled, and very immature.
She keeps proving herself this every day. She has a wonderful loyal boyfriend who loves her unconditionally (and that is next to saintlihood because that's a hard job!) while she goes and sleeps with her exboyfriend! How could I have thought she would be loyal to me??? Boy, was I stupid.
I'm so happy I've got her off my back for good.
I've got good friends now. Well, not good, but GREAT friends.

My God, friendships are so tough . Love is hard and love is tough but all deep relations are really..... I am starting to ask myself why is my life endless succesion of people saying goodbye?
It is like .. emotional treasure wasted. You cant possibly know how good/bad will these people turn out at the age of 15 or 20.
It is really hard to live your life like Bono said around 1984. We all need support and loyalty. i ended relations with people without moral integrity. Well i wonder..... why am i so unhappy and they are enjoying their selfish lifes? But, it is retorical question. What goes around, comes around. I would like to believe that. Not because i want justice(i want it, naturally, but not in the first place) but b/c i want to believe that good people deserve happiness. Seems to me it is quite opposite. Love, peace, harmony--mybe in the next world?

Back
Top Bottom