End of Earth, Michigan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:
I never use V/Line anymore, and all I know about it is that they spent a crapload of money reducing most of the Bendigo line to ONE TRACK ONLY and kept claiming they could run MORE services on it. WTF?!

Well, in theory, they can, since the tracks have been upgraded substantially so that the trains can run a good deal faster.

Of course, the problem here is that it becomes highly dependent on the trains keeping to their timetables and crossing services going the other way at stations with crossing loops. One delay fucks up the whole thing. So, yeah, singling the line is pretty daft and hopefully it will be re-duplicated in the near future.

All I hear about the privatised Met train system is laughable.

Also, get back to work. :wink:

I think Connex has an undeserved bad reputation. Yes, they make mistakes and their PR is often woefully inadequate, but Melbourne's commuter network is frankly the best in the Southern Hemisphere, challenged only by Sydney, and many of the problems people ascribe to Connex are the fault of the Department of Infrastructure. Connex just runs the trains. Services would be better and cancellations less frequent if the government would fork out the money to buy more trains. But I think the government's quite happy with Connex getting slagged off left, right, and centre, because it means there's less pressure on it to act.

And why leave when you've got me talking trains? :wink:

Don't blame me for your total inability to resist a train-related converastion :wink:

I'm going to try to get some sleep, in my cold bed. RIP electric blanket... again. :( I really must stop buying the cheap-arsed ones in Target...

:wave:

Alisaura said:
Don't blame me for your total inability to resist a train-related converastion :wink:

I'm going to try to get some sleep, in my cold bed. RIP electric blanket... again. :( I really must stop buying the cheap-arsed ones in Target...

:wave:

You're the one who responded to a train-based post that I expected would get no replies! It's all your fault! :wink:

And I'd feel sympathy for you, but ... I spent all of last winter without an electric blanket and I don't think I'll get one this winter either. Though I'd like one. Hmm.

Well, in any case, have a good night! :wave:

Huh, that shot by.

I still can't believe I actually won a round, despite having a much less accessible or widely enjoyed list than in DI III! :laugh:

Holy shit, really?

Had I won rather than tied against Lance, would have that been enough to push me to second place?

Ah, OK.

Just checked the table now. Wow, group 4 did prove close. Glad to see you made it through. I'm surprised LMP got through ahead of LM, despite having a worse vote differential.

Also glad to see Screwtape made it. The Screwtape vs PLA/tre match-up will surely be the closest of the quarter-finals.

I'm pleased AtomicBono's tracklist is doing so well. I rather enjoyed it, but I didn't expect it to perform as well as it has. It's my third favourite, after yours and Screwtape's.

Incidentally, has Screwtape made any statement about whether or not he'll do critics' choice? If he's not doing it, I'll do it, since I don't need to be premium for that. I've found that after sitting back and watching, I miss actually being involved in the administration of the tournament. Not sure if I'll go premium before DI V, though ...

I received a few questions regarding the Critics' Choice. I wasn't sure if we'd do it this time because it seemed that Screwtape had to pull teeth just to get people involved the last time out.

Perhaps we can start a thread to gauge interest. If you and/or Screwtape want to be involved with that, that's fine. He hasn't said anything about it, as far as I know.

phanan were you the one who mentioned the kinks? either way do you have any recommendations for which album(s) to start with?

phanan said:
I received a few questions regarding the Critics' Choice. I wasn't sure if we'd do it this time because it seemed that Screwtape had to pull teeth just to get people involved the last time out.

Perhaps we can start a thread to gauge interest. If you and/or Screwtape want to be involved with that, that's fine. He hasn't said anything about it, as far as I know.

I've always liked critics' choice since it rewards tracklists that were overlooked. And because I tend to do well on it. :wink:

But yeah, getting people involved is always an effort. I'm kind of tempted to just make the critics the people in this thread who want to do it. Many of us listened to a majority of the tracklists and discussed them endlessly. Sure, it's cliquey, but it'd be easier than coaxing ballots out of people who don't really care.

Varitek said:
what's critic's choice?

A series of awards we'd give out at the end of the DI tournament, like Best Playlist, Best Flow, Best Atmosphere, things like that. It's voted on by those actually involved in the tournament and such.

I've generally found it to have far more informed outcomes than the popular voting, which too often comes down to name recognition. I think this edition has been best for avoiding "OMG no U2 can't vote for it!" and other name-recognition-without-listening voting issues.

Varitek said:
phanan were you the one who mentioned the kinks? either way do you have any recommendations for which album(s) to start with?

I believe that was LemonMelon who responded previously.

I'm not a huge Kinks fan, but Lola vs. the Powerman is a very good album, as I recall. Haven't listened to it in years, though.

Axver said:

I've always liked critics' choice since it rewards tracklists that were overlooked. And because I tend to do well on it. :wink:

But yeah, getting people involved is always an effort. I'm kind of tempted to just make the critics the people in this thread who want to do it. Many of us listened to a majority of the tracklists and discussed them endlessly. Sure, it's cliquey, but it'd be easier than coaxing ballots out of people who don't really care.

Doing it amongst the participants in this thread might actually be a better idea, because outside of a small group of people, I don't think others really care.

phanan said:

Doing it amongst the participants in this thread might actually be a better idea, because outside of a small group of people, I don't think others really care.

I think a good plan of attack would be to get ballots from all the people on this thread who give a shit (I expect we could get at least six or seven), and I could also promote it in the semis and finals for anybody else who's sufficiently interested and doesn't post here. I hope that would pick up at least a couple more ballots.

So with that whole B&C mix cd exchange, it sounds like we need to break off into a second group do Screwtape's idea. Lots of wealthy people seem to be "disc purists" and only want little shiny discs. They don't care about the music, only the "nostalgia" of mix cds (I'm only 23, but mix cds are not nostalgic--mix TAPES are nostalgic--I should fucking sign up and start sending out tapes and see what they say).

phanan said:

Then there are also the people who have been vacant for nearly the whole competition like DaveC and Lancemc.

the tourist said:
So with that whole B&C mix cd exchange, it sounds like we need to break off into a second group do Screwtape's idea. Lots of wealthy people seem to be "disc purists" and only want little shiny discs. They don't care about the music, only the "nostalgia" of mix cds (I'm only 23, but mix cds are not nostalgic--mix TAPES are nostalgic--I should fucking sign up and start sending out tapes and see what they say).

:laugh:

do you even have the equipment to dub a tape? i guess my old stereo in my room at home would do it

i'm 21 and i agree. mix tapes i remember. mix cd's not as much, though i have plenty of burned ones.

OK, I've got one essay a quarter done and one just about half done. Rock the fuck on. Now to get some sleep. See you folk in eight hours or so. :wave:

i think i might like eal better than salmon avocado...something to keep in mind for next time

i hate this time of day in the superthread, it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom