Ellipse lottery no luck needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's Tart

Refugee
I have been fortunate enough not to have had to endure the so called "lottery" for the ellipse as it wasnt a part of the UK/Europe Leg, until Boston last weekend.

From what I saw there is no way that this is a random selection process, they choose who they want in. There is no other explanation for the same fans being in the same spot on the front row of the ellipse at nearly every gig they go to.

I was watching this process while in line inside before the scaning took place ( and a big :madspit: to those fans that got a number and pissed off back to their hotels and sauntered back into the queues at 6.30am!! while others stayed out all night in sub zero temperatures. We got in line at 5am but if I had been outside all night you wouldnt have got your place back at all.) and saw fans talking to security U2 staff etc and surprise suprise they all got scanned in on both nights, (and I am sure at numerous other concerts as well) a coincidence I dont think so.

Our tickets didnt scan on the first night and I didnt expect them to scan on the second night, but mine did maybe it was a coincidence that I had met Bono earlier on and was wearing a tshirt signed by Bono Adam and Edge? and they did let the 3 of us in but I saw 5 people upwards being scanned in on 1 ticket which is hardly a fair system.

Quite a few fans off this site have "flamed" me in the past about it not being right to save places for friends (line cutting I think you called it) that cant get in line early, when they themselves blatantly left the lines to get a good nights sleep!!:rolleyes:

One rule for one and one for another maybe???:eyebrow:

But well done for those right at the front that tried to run a fair system and to the girl on the 2nd night who wanted to re number everyone as about 40 people were missing from the list at 6.30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you scanned in by either way!!

ps this isnt in anyway aimed at the Boston Flag Ship! I know people included in that.

Last edited:
While I hear where you're coming from w/ the waiting in line, doesn't Boston (officially) give out numbered wristbands in the morning so that people don't have to stand in line. From what I understand, that's the (former)Fleet's policy, so I don't think the people that left the line and showed back up later in the afternoon really did anything out of bounds as far as Boston is concerned.

Though, I also find the lotto system sort of suspect. It does seem rather odd to me that some people miraculously get scanned in the vast majority of their times in GA. Among people that I know of personally who had GA tickets, I think we were all something like 1 for 8 or 9. I had the good fortune of having the lone "lucky" ticket, but I don't even think I necessarily officially scanned in. My ticket wouldn't scan and the scanner lady told some guy to "hit it," and he hit a button that made the Vertigo! come up on the screen. I guess I was still lucky to have a flukey ticket, but still.

I don't know. It seems kind of sketchy to me. I think all in all, I'd just assume have it be first come first serve. I know some people can't get there early, but I think it's more fair that way. Besides, when all is said and done, chances are you're going to still want to get there as early as possible to secure a close spot even if you are getting into the ellipse.

Then what's up with all the free passes into the ellipse for the kiddies? While it's nice for them to be kept relatively safe in there, I think it's kind of sad that some people are going to be taking advantage of that by scrounging up a random cousin/niece/nephew to bring to get auto-access to the ellipse. I'm sure people are doing it!

Well, how about a partially-sighted/legally blind person's with balance challenges' POV?

When I'm outside the ellipse. the only thing I can see on the stage is where the guys are. I can't really see them. I know who's who because they stand in the same spot. But get this: In Miami, I didn't know Mary J. Blige was on stage until I saw pictures afterwards!!!!!! So, if I'm #10, 24, 32, or 66 in line, and I don't get scanned in, I feel that they have let 300 people ahead of me. I'm all for the firsat-come-first-serve system. The only way I ever got into the ellipse (April 20 on my birthday and Dec. 5 in Boston) was because my line partner scanned in. My own ticket never ever scanned in. At Boston 12/5,my line partner was part of the "Boston Flag Ship" the night before. So she was in the ellipse both nights. I do not begrudge her, BTW. The flag thing was great on 12/4, and on 12/5, it worked out in my favor. And she "camped" too. I was so disgusted by not getting scanned in on 12/4 (oh and BTW I had no line partner that night, I asked numerous times and no one responded), that on 12/5 I went to the box office and talked to them about just ONCE letting me in close enough to SEE! The guy gave me all this crap about if I'd called them they had "handicapped seats." I tried to explain to them that SEATS are not CLOSE ENOUGH to see, that inside the ellipse close to the stage was, and 5 mionutes later he finally says "there are no handicapped GA tickets." I also got all this "we can't..." blah blah, well, every time he said "we can't" I said "You mean you won't" and he'd get all flustered til he could babble out some other cliche. I pointed out how a friend of mine in CA got up front in the ellipse in a wheelchair and he said something about that being a fire hazard! Well, how do you like that, someone in a wheelchair in the elllipse would be a fire hazard!? What BULLSHIT!!!!!! I do not like to play the "physically challenged" card and never did the first seven (of eight) shows I went to. Thank God I did get in thanks to my line partner, or I'd be making some serious noise, kinda like that person on another thread who gave the Hartford box office hell for selling to obvious scalpers!

BTW, to the person who mentioned something about why people got armbands in the morning and then showing up later...well, some of us camped out overnight to get the lowest-numbered armbands when they did hand them out. And yes, many did get a number the night before and then came back early in the morning. I got mine, went back to my motel, grabbed a suitcase-on-wheels that contained my sleeping bag and a raft that I used as a mattress, and my backpack with what I needed in it (hand warmers, foot warmers, extra hood, extra scarf, snacks, etc) and came right back, within about 30-45 minutes depending on the subway.

Incidentally, some years ago, I was at a concert here in Nashville. It was an outdoor concert. A lady was sitting next to me who REALLY REALLY wanted to be there, as she had just survived a PLANE CRASH and was basically pinned together!!!! Well, I was like "More power to you!" But I heard people say "If she's that bad off, she shouldn't be here." This mainly came from people who anted to push past her and I and a few others stopped them and told them what was up. That, too, is bullshit! She has a right to be there just like anyone else, physical challenge or not. She sure didn't ask to be in a plane crash! I and several others (about 5 of is) formed a human barracade around that woman so she could watch the show safely.

Hmmm...Bono says "everyone has a cause"...he is passionate about his causes, and I as an ADA activist, am passionate about mine. ;)

in response to bono's tart....
that numbering system that you or whoever starts the day before is unofficial!!!! its pointless to stay out all night in the freezing cold in december...and some people have things to do during the week, and cannot afford a night with basically no sleep...so i really dont understand your criticism of people leaving and going to sleep after getting their so-called "numbers"...and by the way, how do you think that the process is not random??? i mean, thats a pretty ridiculous statement...what basis to do have to come to this conclusion...and to say "well the same people get in every time"...well, people who get in repeatedly usually go in groups, and the larger the group, the more likely all are going to get in....say you go with 8 people....chances are every single one of you will get in....the odds are 1/6...and for every one that scans in, boston lets in 4 people total

The lottery is random, it has nothing to do with ticket numbers. It has to do with the place you are in line. That's it. They hand out wristbands to people in the back of the floor before the show, but that's it in terms of showing favor to some fans.

Re: MysteryGirl

Interesting post. I don't neccessarily disagree with any of it, but I would ask where your policy ends. Do all the 4'11 girls in the back of the GA crowd who can't see over anybody deserve to get in the ellipse so they can see? Do folks who are hearing impaired deserve to have auxillary hearing devices at the show (or should the band play louder or softer depending on their condition)? I don't ask these questions to mock, simply to get a sense of how far you feel U2 and the arenas should go to accomadate fans.

I do think that the fan seats sold to Propaganda Members in the 3rd leg U2.com presale may have been weighted. I had two Floor Tix for both nights in LA (3rd Leg). Each night, one of the two tix won. I got to the arena about 6:45 PM on both nights. Sure this is unscientific, but I do think that after the 1st leg debaucle, Larry tried to make it up to the long standing Propaganda members.

Ummm..I didn't get scanned but my 6'5" husband did that weighs 350 on a good day....Yes maybe peeps they want to (or pay off people) get scan in, but I promise you we were random...

I Loved my Boston U2 experience!!!

So I felt my scan coming ......no lie!!!! About 10 people ahead of me ...no luck......then the magic image....

ultraviolet353 said:
I do think that the fan seats sold to Propaganda Members in the 3rd leg U2.com presale may have been weighted. I had two Floor Tix for both nights in LA (3rd Leg). Each night, one of the two tix won. I got to the arena about 6:45 PM on both nights. Sure this is unscientific, but I do think that after the 1st leg debaucle, Larry tried to make it up to the long standing Propaganda members.

I had fan club GA for third leg in LA and didn't get scanned. It's random, you got lucky. Very lucky.

Ellipse rocks, huh? We got wristbands in the back near the soundboard, so got in.

people who get numbers and leave for most of the day or night deserve to rot in hell

rock888nwo said:
in response to bono's tart....
that numbering system that you or whoever starts the day before is unofficial!!!! its pointless to stay out all night in the freezing cold in december...and some people have things to do during the week, and cannot afford a night with basically no sleep...so i really dont understand your criticism of people leaving and going to sleep after getting their so-called "numbers"...and by the way, how do you think that the process is not random??? i mean, thats a pretty ridiculous statement...what basis to do have to come to this conclusion...and to say "well the same people get in every time"...well, people who get in repeatedly usually go in groups, and the larger the group, the more likely all are going to get in....say you go with 8 people....chances are every single one of you will get in....the odds are 1/6...and for every one that scans in, boston lets in 4 people total

I didnt start the numbering if you had read and understood what I wrote I stated quite clearly that I got there around 5am!!!!!
There has been enough crap on this particular site about line cutting and the very same fans on here that have shouted the loudest have done it!!!!!!!!!!
Why should they get a number say 9 then saunter back up at 6.30 when 50 people behind them chose to stay out and camp?? I felt sorry for the 35 or so that where in line all night that suddenly ended 70 or so back because these people turned up.

As for that ridiculous statement you made about groups, let 3 in maybe but definately no more than that you think thats fair do you?

So how do you explain certain fans that are in 2/3 who are in the same spot at numerous concerts scanning in?
With that amount of luck maybe they shoud buy lottery tickets and make themeselves millionares!!

You're very niave if you think its random its a hand held scanner with a button on the handle, I watched on the first night what happened you werent there I was.

Thank god we dont need it in Europe.

Chizip said:
people who get numbers and leave for most of the day or night deserve to rot in hell

You can leave for the day at Boston which is a great idea my issue is with fans getting numbers straight after the first concert then pissing off and "cutting" in front of the campers.

Very unfair.

Apart from that this procedure of wristbanding in number order should be done at every indoor venue.

Bono's Tart said:

thats just the response i would have expected from you!:rolleyes:

thanks... i'm expected :hyper:

maybe edge's cousin hooked you up

cousin.jpg

:love: :love:

It is nothing but luck. I now believe after a friend spoke to a worthy U2 crew member that the ellipse selection is pre-determined on your ticket.

My GF scanned for Buffalo........ = Ellipse entry
I scanned for Cleveland....= Ellipse entry

I have however NOT scanned for various shows.....

I have even seen people scan back to back.

In the long run it has worked out for me....however....that was after MULTIPLE shows.

*pssst* Cleveland ROCKED!

Bono's Tart - The selection is random, although with your experience i understand why you would think differently. I spoke to a fan at the second Oakland show who scanned in the first night but staff forgot to mark her ticket so when she went to get banded, they wouldn't issue her a wrist band. They sent her back to have her ticket rescanned and when she did, the Vertigo screen came up again. This proved to me that the selection is based on randomly pre-selected ticket numbers (since each ticket has a unique ticket number, they can do this). I previously thought that the system just randomly selected fans as they entered but was not linked to the tickets themselves.

As to why you see the some of the same fans in the the same spots on the front rail at multiple shows? I think they've found a way around the policy by convincing staff to let in 4,5,6 people on one scanned ticket. By pooling together, they greatly increase their odds of getting in.

Also, I know there are definitely fans that take advantage of the unofficial line-up to get a number and leave for most of the night/day (I've seen it and called people on it). It's an honor system and, unfortunately, some folks are not that honorable.

bono's tart...if youre talking about night one boston last week...i was there...i got there at 7am in line and was later scanned in....there is no way in hell, and i mean no way...that the people in charge of scanning the tickets actually pick and choose who they want in...thats really an unfounded statement...and i really cannot understand why you are so bitter...just relax

solacevip said:
It is nothing but luck. I now believe after a friend spoke to a worthy U2 crew member that the ellipse selection is pre-determined on your ticket.

It is NOT predetermined on the ticket. I got scanned in with a reserved ticket at one show.

It IS a random computer generated selection, but I also believe there is an override process of some sort.

bratty_cat said:
I spoke to a fan at the second Oakland show who scanned in the first night but staff forgot to mark her ticket so when she went to get banded, they wouldn't issue her a wrist band. They sent her back to have her ticket rescanned and when she did, the Vertigo screen came up again. This proved to me that the selection is based on randomly pre-selected ticket numbers (since each ticket has a unique ticket number, they can do this). I previously thought that the system just randomly selected fans as they entered but was not linked to the tickets themselves.

I still don't think the tickets are pre-selected. I think what probably happens is once your ticket scans for the ellipse that number is then saved on the computer which is why it scans again.

Personally, I think it would have been way too much work any other way. Not that it couldn't be done but just too much extra time and effort which I just don't think went into this process.

tryan101 said:

It is NOT predetermined on the ticket. I got scanned in with a reserved ticket at one show.

It IS a random computer generated selection, but I also believe there is an override process of some sort.

What kind of reserved ticket? I thought only GA could get into ellipse. Am I wrong?

a lower level reserved. the point is the computer has no idea which one or even which kind of ticket its looking at. my guess is that it may add up the total numbers of its unique serial number, and it comes up vertigo on say, totals that end in 4 and 7. or 2, 6 and 8 - whatever the percentage they decide.

tryan101 said:
a lower level reserved. the point is the computer has no idea which one or even which kind of ticket its looking at. my guess is that it may add up the total numbers of its unique serial number, and it comes up vertigo on say, totals that end in 4 and 7. or 2, 6 and 8 - whatever the percentage they decide.

Hmmm.... very interesting....

:whistle:

bratty_cat said:
I think they've found a way around the policy by convincing staff to let in 4,5,6 people on one scanned ticket. By pooling together, they greatly increase their odds of getting in.
[/B]

yes, in boston, they let groups of 4 in...no questions asked

keeping the above in mind, if you go in with say...8 people...the odds of everyone getting in are pretty good

They should just go back to a first come, first serve basis. It makes everything simpler and fairer. And under no circumstances should they allow you to "hold" places in the line for friends. You're either there or you're not - that's the way it should be.

Bono's Tart, if I remember correctly, you vehemently disagreed with those of us who said that saving spots in line for people who couldn't get there early was wrong. In light of that, it seems a little hypocritical of you to take offense to people who get a number and then leave the line for extended periods. :huh:

For the record, I think both scenarios are wrong, and immensely unfair to those who do put in the time in line. I've seen people get numbers, leave for the day, then be refused entry back into their spots. They had to go to the back of the line, just like everyone else who were just arriving. I guess it all depends on the integrity of whoever is running the line.

As for the scanning process, I've had a huge problem with it all through the 3rd leg. The rules clearly state that only two people will be allowed into the ellipse for each ticket that scans. During my string of 6 shows in a row, both my daughter and I were very sick, and for two of those shows, we opted not to camp out/line up early, so that we could stay at the hotel and get some rest. It was really disappointing to get there between 6:30 and 7:30, and to find that the scanners had been put away because the ellipse was full. Makes sense though, because if they're letting 3 and more people in per ticket, it's going to fill up a hell of a lot faster.

Don't change the rules midgame, people. And Allison? You suck. :madspit:

if it's so wrong to get a number and then leave for the day, maybe the people running the lines shouldn't be giving out numbers. when i was in milwaukee, i had actually left for quite a while because it got so cold and rainy, and i already had a pretty bad cold going on. the people around seemed kind of pissed when my buddy and i got back, but we were given numbers, which is basically permission to leave and come back. maybe we should be blaming the system rather than calling for the deaths of anyone who left and came back.

the holier than thou attitude that goes around here can be real sickening.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom