Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Squashed gray cat you say? I wasn't sure what to make of it, I feel like I failed Elbow's Rorschach test.

Well, being picky is a job requirement for me (working on ads and brochures) :tongue: Things like these annoy me, especially when they appear on the official, professionally done artwork.

Lest anyone think I was serious, I'd like to point out that I was the first to bitch about the missing apostrophe. ;)

What? No. I included myself in "we." Right after our excitement, it's the song titles, it's the album title, it's the picture, it's the missing apostrophe.

I thought it was funny and wanted to laugh at our internet dorkiness.

Apologies if it came across otherwise. I wouldn't post an LOL smiley if there was crankiness and bitchery behind my comment. ;)

It would appear that being picky isn't limited to Interference. :lol:

untitled2.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

Craig Potter (CraigLPotter) on Twitter

:drool:

Also, there was another thread used for the past couple years before we reverted back to this one, so there's quite a viable Elbow community in here.

Thanks for posting that vid. His voice sounds great, and the tune is lovely, but one of my initial reactions is that there is absolutely no need for it to be 6 and a half minutes long. Snooooooooooooooze.

I liked it. Not bothered by the length - I used to feel Newborn from their first album was far too long, but now I think it's amazing, and wouldn't clip a damn second from it.

Yeah, if I give it more listens I could definitely change my mind and think "No, this deserves a 6 minute running time" but I guess, just on first listen, I didn't feel it needed to be that long.

I'm not as familiar with this band as the rest of you guys, I only really know Seldom Seen Kid, which I love. But the only track on that album that exceeded 6 minutes was One Day Like This, and it earns those 6 minutes because it builds and then explodes into that gorgeous and life affirming refrain.

Lippy Kids didn't really seem to build to anything, just kinda clogged along. Nice melody, though. And both of the words "booze" and "cigarettes" feature prominently in the lyric, which I always like.

This is the kind of thing I love from Elbow, beautiful simplicity. I like their extended songs like this, Mirrorball, Any Day Now, Newborn, Scattered Black and Whites, Grace Under Pressure, Ribcage, etc. None of them feel overlong, this included.

I like it. Guy's vocals sound to me slightly processed and they're laid over a driving, propulsive groove. Sounds like there are some trip hop influences in there. Love the melody and really liked the bridge. It's kind of a darker tune, but there are joyous moments.

Chorus sounds like "lay my bones and cobblestones/lay my bones in neat little rows"

And, since this is Elbow, the song builds and builds until it explodes towards the end with intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom