Edge sings in HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whackjester

Acrobat
I saw a post ealier today about what parts the edge sings on the new album. One matter being discussed his role in Miracle Drug.

After many reviews, I definitely think that he is singing the part:

Beneath the noise
Below the Din
I hear a voice
It's whispering (listen carefully to this part, especially the last syllable)
In science and in medicine
I was a stranger
You took me in

I've review that part over and over again, and it definitely sounds like Edge. Bono's voice is more scratchy and has more vibrato then what is heard here. I'm still not sure about the Sometimes you can't make it on your own falsetto part, but I think that very well may be The Edge as well.

Anyone else care to comment?

Last edited:
It's pretty well established that Edge sings in Miracle Drug. It's distinctly his voice.

SYCMIOYO ... I actually think it's both. Listen to the start of the second falsetto line and you can hear Bono come through, but the falsetto sounds much more like Edge's.

I'm pretty sure the Edge is singing those lines in Miracle Drug. He's even credited with vocals for that song on the album.

I don't think he's singing the falsetto in Sometimes, though. I may be wrong about that...

Axver said:
It's pretty well established that Edge sings in Miracle Drug. It's distinctly his voice.

SYCMIOYO ... I actually think it's both. Listen to the start of the second falsetto line and you can hear Bono come through, but the falsetto sounds much more like Edge's.

I think that you are right about both singing. At the end of the falsetto part, you can hear some cracking in the voice.

I didn't know that it was already established that Edge sings that part.

He sings in A Man and a Woman as well, the lines "you´re the one, there´s no one else, you makes me want to loose my self, in the mysterious distance, between a man...then we get Bono back. ;)

And I like his singing, I mean Edge. He should do that more often, especially in romatic songs like AMAAW. Btw, I simply love his singing at the end of In a Little While, from the Boston DVD.

MT

Mark Freedman said:
I'm pretty sure the Edge is singing those lines in Miracle Drug. He's even credited with vocals for that song on the album.

I don't think he's singing the falsetto in Sometimes, though. I may be wrong about that...

Do you have the individual credits for the songs? Edge would be credited for singing anyway, since he is the primary back up vocalist. It brings on another question; Did Daniel Lanois provide any locals this time? I know he was seen around the studio during the end of the sessions.

follower said:
He sings in A Man and a Woman as well, the lines "you´re the one, there´s no one else, you makes me want to loose my self, in the mysterious distance, between a man...then we get Bono back. ;)

And I like his singing, I mean Edge. He should do that more often, especially in romatic songs like AMAAW. Btw, I simply love his singing at the end of In a Little While, from the Boston DVD.

MT

I completely agree. The Edge has never been touted as a singer, but I think he's highly under-rated. I could go on to say that his voice is far superior to Bono's at this time in their life (although it may lack the "soul" Bono always talks about).

starsgoblue said:

I don't think that's Edge singing...I think it's Bono.

I'm listening right now, and by golly, it sure is Edge. The interjection between the two work well because their vocals overlap a bit in a few different songs on the album.

follower said:

Interesting point. At first, I thought that was just Bono, but the voice definitely seems to change on the 'between a man and a woman' line. That's a tough one to call.

His singing is wonderful; Van Diemen's Land and Popmart Sunday Bloody Sunday are two of U2's greatest moments. I'm not that much of a fan of Stuck, but I'll listen to it just to hear Edge sing at the end. He's got a lovely voice.

whackjester said:

I think that you are right about both singing. At the end of the falsetto part, you can hear some cracking in the voice.

I didn't know that it was already established that Edge sings that part.

Most people seem to be in agreement that it's Edge on Miracle Drug. I'm 100% certain of it - there's no way that's Bono.

I'm listening to SYCMIOYO right now ... I can't call this one. I really do think it's both of them.

Edge's falsetto in SYCMIOYO... now you're pushing...

Would Bono let Edge sing that part who is about Bono and his daddy? Would that make sense?

Next thing you ppl r gonna say it's Edge's falsetto on The Fly, just because he sung that part live...

Edge doesn't sing any of the lead in AMAAW. He's definitely got the backing ahhhhs throughout the song and possibly the backing falsetto for the "Rue Saint Divine" verse.

U2_Guy said:
Edge's falsetto in SYCMIOYO... now you're pushing...

Would Bono let Edge sing that part who is about Bono and his daddy? Would that make sense?

Next thing you ppl r gonna say it's Edge's falsetto on The Fly, just because he sung that part live...

It's Bono. You can just tell.

I sugest you listen to AMAAW more carefully. In the lines before that I mentioned we can hear that Bono sings "between a man and a wooooooman"...I mean, he sustains that and Edge comes in and sings the next lines until "between a man"...then Bono is back to sing "a woman". I can tell you that, I´ve listened to that song dozens of times, one of my faves in the album. It´s pretty clear that it is Edge for me.

MT

Last edited:
follower said:
I sugest you listen to AMAAW more carefully. In the lines before that I mentioned we can hear that Bono sings "between a man and a wooooooman"...I mean, he sustains that and Edge comes in and sings the next lines until "between a man"...then Bono is back to sing "a woman". I can tell you that, I´ve listened to that song dozens of times, one of my faves in the album. It´s pretty clear that it is Edge for me.

MT

Vc pirou! LOL

follower said:
I can tell you that, I´ve listened to that song dozens of times, one of my faves in the album. It´s pretty clear that it is Edge for me.

I'm pretty sure it's Bono. Mas você não pirou, foi só uma pequena confusão. ;)

Listen to the line 'between a man and a woman'. 'Between a man' is clearly different to 'and a woman.' I don't yet want to call it as Edge - maybe Bono on a different vocal take? - but there is a clear difference.

MirrorballGirl said:

I'm pretty sure it's Bono. Mas você não pirou, foi só uma pequena confusão. ;)

O Grêmio na segundona deve ter affected ela somehow...

LOL

That´s okay guys, whatever floats your boat, as they say, time will tell who was right. Now, excuse my portuguese, but I must answer someone properly.

Me desculpe U2_Guy, mas a última coisa que poderia pirar minha cabecinha era a porcaria do Grêmio na 2a divisão.

MT

follower said:
That´s okay guys, whatever floats your boat, as they say, time will tell who was right. Now, excuse my portuguese, but I must answer someone properly.

Me desculpe U2_Guy, mas a última coisa que poderia pirar minha cabecinha era a porcaria do Grêmio na 2a divisão.

MT

:ohmy:

U2_Guy said:

To this day I can't tell who sings the falsetto on the Fly.

I know, Bono really started to showcase it on that album, but somehow it doesn't feel like him. I'm more inclined to think it's Edge, it sounds more natural as opposed to usual Bono's "face making" with the falsetto. (for example Tryin to throw your arms around the world)

I think Edge is perfect to back up Bono, I don't know how he sounds outside of his usual falsetto range. I really like it when they join each other (Don't take your guns to town/Wild honey/Seconds) on the microphone.

U2girl said:

To this day I can't tell who sings the falsetto on the Fly.

I know, Bono really started to showcase it on that album, but somehow it doesn't feel like him. I'm more inclined to think it's Edge, it sounds more natural as opposed to usual Bono's "face making" with the falsetto. (for example Tryin to throw your arms around the world)

I think Edge is perfect to back up Bono, I don't know how he sounds outside of his usual falsetto range. I really like it when they join each other (Don't take your guns to town/Wild honey/Seconds) on the microphone.

:huh: It IS Bono on The Fly... That's crystal clear...

I read Bono saying about that falsetto. And it's clear that it is him...

Axver said:
Listen to the line 'between a man and a woman'. 'Between a man' is clearly different to 'and a woman.' I don't yet want to call it as Edge - maybe Bono on a different vocal take? - but there is a clear difference.

Ax, tell them they need their hearing checked :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom