Does anyone else prefer a studio version of "Streets" over a live one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
I know that "Streets" is probably THE U2 live song in many people's view, and I love it too if only for that red glowing magic moment when Edge's guitar rises over that heavenly majestic intro. If anything this moment is so great it makes the rest of the song look like a fairly even stretch; maybe that's why I prefer Bad and UTEOTW live because they both build up to this great climax near the end. Anyway, after listening to several live versions I really feel that none of them really captured for me that spine-tingling euphoric feel that the song has on JT.

Saracene,

I'm sorry to say that my answer to this question has to be negative. :sexywink:

So, no.

C ya!

Marty

I generally prefer the studio tracks to the live tracks because they represent the actual song in it's purest form.

I really love the live version of Streets from the Please single - and I love the Wide Awake version of Bad (even though it's not actually "live") - and the live version of BTBS from the Stay single is fantastic.

But if I were on a desert island, I would ALWAYS choose the studio versions because I never get tired of them. The live stuff has a shelf life, IMO.

You know how Bono said they wait for God to walk in the room on songs? Well to me, God did walk in the room during the recording for JT, but when Streets is played live - God walks in the room and smiles.

One Tree Still said:
I love the Wide Awake version of Bad (even though it's not actually "live")
Yes, it is, although the last note of the song has been "fixed." You're thinking of "A Sort of Homecoming," which was recorded at soundcheck.

And to answer the topic question: No.

I prefer the album version of Streets over any live version.

I always liked how at the end of the album version Bono repeated these lines and then it climaxed:

"Our love turns to rust
We're beaten amd blown by the wind

See our love, see our love turn to rust
We're beaten and blown by the wind,

and then he belts out another passionately filled 'BLOWN BY THE WIND' line and then the song climaxes with: "and when I go there, I go there with you.. It's all I can do."

I never liked the live versions because the song sounded empty at times and then Bono never ended the song like the album version, he always just belted out "WOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHHHHHHHH" for like a minute and then finished the song with the "and I go there with you, it's all I can do.." line.

Does anyone prefer the single version of Streets over the album version?

The single version has Edge on backing vocals during the chorus. It's also the version they used for the video.

in all honesty I prefer all of U2 music live rather than on the album, not at all saying I dont like the the album versions. Its just Bono voice is soooooooooooooooooo passionate as are Larry, Adam, and Edge when they are live.

david said:
The single version has Edge on backing vocals during the chorus. It's also the version they used for the video.
Anyone have an MP3 of it?

the album version is of course a classic, but there's something magical about the live version. the song sounds larger then life when they play it live. :up:

Back
Top Bottom