Do you think the band is sick of Moment Of Surrender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Call me crazy, but I've always thought the original version of "I'll Go Crazy..." would have been a terrific closer, it sends the crowd out on a high.

I'm such a jaded ass now that the last couple of shows I've thought I'd kind of like to hear them play the original instead of the remix. :reject:

ETA--it is a great song either way.

I was sick of MOS tonight. I said to myself why did they skip it in Winnipeg with the cold (or curfew, but whatever) but play it in Montreal as it began to rain? Not only did they do full, good version, they improvised a little rain song (or whatever it was) after MOS. I'm not sure I got it because everyone was scrambling around to get the fuck away from the rain.

a great NLOTH/Kiss The Future setlist should've been this:

00 - Soon
01 - NLOTH
02 - GOYB
03 - Magnificent
04 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
05 - We Love You/Beautiful Day
06 - I Will Follow
07 - Until The End Of The World --->
08 - Breathe
09 - Unknown Caller
10 - The Unforgettable Fire
11 - City Of Blinding Lights
12 - Vertigo
13 - Crazy Remix
14 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
15 - MLK
16 - Walk On

17 - One
18 - Moment Of Surrender -->
19 - Where The Streets Have No Name

20 - FEZ/Being Born --->
21 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
22 - WOWY
23 - NLOTH 2[/QUOTE]

This would actually have been quite awesome. As the tour would go on, it would be nice to work in some other great songs, but this would've been a great sequence to showcase NLOTH.

00 - Soon
01 - NLOTH
02 - GOYB
03 - Magnificent
06 - I Will Follow
08 - Breathe
09 - Unknown Caller
12 - Vertigo
13 - Crazy Remix
15 - MLK
16 - Walk On

17 - One

20 - FEZ/Being Born --->
22 - WOWY
23 - NLOTH 2

This would actually have been quite awesome. As the tour would go on, it would be nice to work in some other great songs, but this would've been a great sequence to showcase NLOTH.[/QUOTE]

Very selfishly, I miss Unknown Caller. I think it would fall on a lot of deaf ears right now, especially in Montreal--lots of newbies who only know the big hits.

I don't want to steer away from MOS, but I still can't understand U2 not playing Stand Up Comedy. I think it is the most crowd-accessible (for those unfamiliar with NLOTH/U2) song on the album. :shrug:
Bono could get everyone going nuts with his "Stand up for your love!!!"

00 - Soon
01 - NLOTH
02 - GOYB
03 - Magnificent
06 - I Will Follow
08 - Breathe
09 - Unknown Caller
12 - Vertigo
13 - Crazy Remix
15 - MLK
16 - Walk On

17 - One

20 - FEZ/Being Born --->
22 - WOWY
23 - NLOTH 2
This could have been an awesome setlist for the first few legs...it definitely showcases NLOTH in a way even first-leg sets didn't.

Oh, and MOS > Streets has the potential to be :drool:-worthy.

From the very beginning of the tour, I've never been able to understand why so many think that MOS is a bad closing song. I've always thought and still think it's a great, epic, very emotional and for the band obviously very special and important closing song. I wouldn't want to hear MOS anywhere else in the setlist. I'm not even happy with Out Of Control following it as the last song, though I totally love OOC, but just not after MOS and as the last song. It totally breaks the momentum and kind of destroys the feeling that comes with MOS. For me, MOS has been the perfect closing song, it combines so many emotions, while there is hope, there is also a certain kind of sadness that comes with the ending of a U2 show. I love the song, still do, after all this time. Epic as it is, it could never be played in the middle of the set. The only problem I'm having with MOS is that Bono kept throwing out certain lines of the song, shortening it. There were some shows in the very beginning of the tour that had the whole song with all the lyrics, but he started to skip certain parts of the song and I still think that's a shame.

I think MOS is a great closer, just not a popular one. :shrug:

people don't know it, that's its' problem.

and that fact they play it right next to wowy, another similar slow balled, both with the 'oh, oh's' thrown in, and the first one being a monster hit doesn't help.

where do you go from wowy? even if you play one, all i want is you, stay or any similar number straight after it's just slows the momentum. they really need to go uptempo from wowy and move mos to close the main set.

people don't know it, that's its' problem.

and that fact they play it right next to wowy, another similar slow balled, both with the 'oh, oh's' thrown in, and the first one being a monster hit doesn't help.

where do you go from wowy? even if you play one, all i want is you, stay or any similar number straight after it's just slows the momentum. they really need to go uptempo from wowy and move mos to close the main set.

Bingo!

I love that despite their retraction of NLOTH songs :)sad:) MOS has been played at every show (barring torrential rain and curfews), but it never made sense as a closer, particularly with no single release for the stadium crowds to know the song. Yeah I love 40, but I've always wondered why they didn't do MOS-->40 as the closer, that combination would have been fantastic.

I love Bono's voice/emotion on this track, but it doesn't get me going. The ATM lyrics and just length of it, don't pull me in.

They went from STUCK IN A MOMENT to SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT to MOS.

First 2 I love, but third time wasn't the charm for me with this formula of slow heart felt ballad.

I assume next album will have a similar song with a title like SPOT ON MY HEART that I hope is much better.

And MOS should not be a closer, it should be midset like the other 2 previous songs where. You want to leave the stadium with a high and that is one of the more depressing U2 songs I think.

Walk On is the perfect closer.

Moment of Surrender really isn't depressing if you pay close attention, it's coming from a place of depression, but isn't wallowing in it. Also, opinions differ of course, but you're not likely to find much agreement around these parts to the equation Stuck > MOS.

There's a lot more to it than it gives itself credit for, it's a pretty dark conceit for a song in a pop package. The acoustic version from Elevation was far better than the album version.

I find U2 overall so uplifting and hopeful. Main reason I love their music. I have arguments with friends who love other bands and it just sounds like a suicide note to me.

Anyway, yes opinions differ. Of course.

Them doing STUCK on letterman on Monday night was amazing to me. http://youtu.be/A_hw1xcfylI

I believe U2 thinks MOS is better too, but I disagree. Lyrics are a big reason and just the tune itself. It doesn't hook me in. Stuck is about a friend's death and Sometimes is about his father. MOS lacks that.

Now, don't get me wrong, as I type this I'm hearing Bono's voice in my head singing MOS and it's great vocal performance.

I agree with you on the uplift being a part of their appeal to me, but I urge you to look at NLOTH as a whole, it is a very spiritual album, I would not categorize MOS as suicidal. It's honest, and that most of all is what draws me to the band, exploring real things in life, not everything is sunshine. Conversely, Stuck in a Moment actually is about a friend's suicide attempt.

I meant my friends music sounds depressing, like a suicide note. I didn't mean U2 or MOS. It was poorly written.

And as I was saying, those 2 songs from the last 2 albums are about something important to Bono and MOS to me feels like copying those songs without a real heartfelt reason behind it. It's lacking emotional truth. For me.

To me MOS is a lot more personal and heartfelt than Stuck because it is raw, and the song was created in a single improvised take versus Stuck which takes a subject and put it through the filter of pop music. Sometimes is a different story, that clearly is a very personal expression from Bono (it's origins from Bob Hewson's funeral is enough to tell you that), and a soulful performance to be sure, it isn't the most musically dynamic piece they've done, but Bono's contribution to it is staggeringly honest.

From the very beginning of the tour, I've never been able to understand why so many think that MOS is a bad closing song. I've always thought and still think it's a great, epic, very emotional and for the band obviously very special and important closing song. I wouldn't want to hear MOS anywhere else in the setlist. I'm not even happy with Out Of Control following it as the last song, though I totally love OOC, but just not after MOS and as the last song. It totally breaks the momentum and kind of destroys the feeling that comes with MOS. For me, MOS has been the perfect closing song, it combines so many emotions, while there is hope, there is also a certain kind of sadness that comes with the ending of a U2 show. I love the song, still do, after all this time. Epic as it is, it could never be played in the middle of the set. The only problem I'm having with MOS is that Bono kept throwing out certain lines of the song, shortening it. There were some shows in the very beginning of the tour that had the whole song with all the lyrics, but he started to skip certain parts of the song and I still think that's a shame.

This is the very reason I came here to post. He skips the second part of verse 1. "even on our wedding day"......anyone know why, it's a little hard to find answers around here.

he sang it at some shows, then dropped it. no idea why. Bono did sing the last part of the verse at some shows even on the second leg of the tour (first US leg), but it was dropped at some point.

My thought at the time is that since they were putting the Rose Bowl show on YouTube (which is shortened, right?) that they were going to release Moment of Surrender as the fourth single and it was going to have some sort of live/single edit/something. Lazy thought, but whatever.

I'd rather hear Stand Up Comedy than Moment Of Surrender as the closer. When I saw them at Wembley in 2009, it left the place in a down mood after MOS.

Back
Top Bottom