do you like stuck in a moment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

do you like stuck in a moment.

• yes.

Votes: 142 77.2%
  • no.

Votes: 42 22.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, apparently Hutch, Simon LeBon(I think?) and Bono had this "lead singers club" were all out on vacation and Hutch brought it up and they made this pact...

It also explains Duran Duran's "Michael, You've Got a Lot to Answer For" which was actually released before his death...

Thanks. I hadn't heard the part of the story about Simon LeBon before.

Yeah, apparently Hutch, Simon LeBon(I think?) and Bono had this "lead singers club" were all out on vacation and Hutch brought it up and they made this pact...

It also explains Duran Duran's "Michael, You've Got a Lot to Answer For" which was actually released before his death...
correct.

also, as an aside, duran duran have not performed that song in concert since the day michael died.

He actually did say that it was written specifically for him...

When the album came out reviews and what not kept saying that it was written about Hutch and when Bono was asked he'd only vaguely reminisce about Hutch and talk about his depression but not actually mention suicide. After Paula died is when Bono actually said he believed it was suicide and that the song was written for Hutch, but out of respect didn't want to talk about it because Paula was still holding onto the idea that it was a sex act gone wrong.

Yes the lyric is addressing someone alive because it's told from the perspective if Michael had called him that last night.

Then I stand corrected. I recall Bono saying things like what you've mentioned, but I didn't see him state clearly that the lyric was inspired by Hutchence from the start.

Interesting that there were other "singers" involved... it's like an AA meeting for rock singers:

"My name is Bono, and I am a rock singer. It all started at some boring bloke named Larry's house in 1975...."

About the Michael Hutchence thing, I personally have my doubts that it was written specifically about him. Bono often creates (rather abstract) lyrics, and then later assigns a particular meaning to them after the songs assume a live identity, which is fine. He certainly applied the song to the Hutcher later, but I've never seen any clear evidence where he stated that he had him in mind while writing the lyric (did Edge contribute to them? Dunno.). For one thing, the whole lyric is addressing someone who is clearly stll alive. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling...

I’ll try and find an example of it online later, but the “stuck in a moment he couldn’t get out of” line was exactly what Bono was recycling every time he was asked about Hutchence in the months after he died. It’s a smart way of addressing it, i.e. what BVS was saying above about Bono trying to publicly/respectfully sit on the fence between suicide and sex act, so whether that’s a physical fuck up or an emotional state, it fits. “What do you think happened?” “I think he was stuck in a moment he couldn’t get out of”.

I really like 'Stuck' it means a lot to me on a personal level which I told Bono when I met him a few years back, I find the song very uplifting.

Yes.

It is a very overplayed song for me, it's very cheesy, I don't think the song itself is all that great, but it has special meaning to me, so I do like it.

I think the song is incredible! Lyrically its one of Bono's strongest imo,
The electric live version is immense!!! Edge's guitar parts are amazing and really highlight a totally different style from him!

I'm not mad about the live acoustic version tho, i think it lacks something, and there is something about the studio version I'm not mad about, it could be that cheesy sound after the drum opening, overall tho an amazing U2 classic for me!!

No. Not at all. Of course, when it's played live, as it no doubt will be on the NA leg, I'll be singing every word just like everyone else :D

I quite honestly hated the song for years due to radio/VH1 overplay. But now? I'm learning to like it again. So I voted yes. Now I've transferred my hate to another song on the same album. :shifty:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom