Do you have any funny quirks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My hubby has to check the door to make sure it's locked before going to work every morning. Luckily he's been seeing a chiropractor (my old boss) about that and it's gotten much better - he used to have to check it upwards of 30+ times, waking his wife up too early in the morning. Now I don't notice it.

Curious, why would he be seeing a Chiropractor for a psychological condition?

As for the topic of this thread, I actually wrote about this in my MySpace journal not too long ago. Here are just a couple of mine. When I get dressed I put on my left sock, and then the right, my shirt, then pants always in that order. As I approach my car, I always have to be on the passenger side walking around the rear. When I leave my car I press the lock button on my key fob at least two times to ensure that it is locked.

I always read the last page of a book first.
I read almost every movie spoiler on line so compulsivly that my friends and family know to call and ask me if a movie is worth seeing.
Before I leave my livingroom my 3 remote controls must be lined up smallest to largest.
I lose my car/house keys almost every day.
I have to sleep facing a clock. It doesn't matter what side of the bed it's on.
I make lists every day and cross things off as I go along.
Like Sicy, I have to see my cats before I leave the house. I get worried. :(

I make people take there shoes off at the door of my house. No matter what. My friends and family thinks that is odd. I just want to keep my carpet clean:shrug:

I've slept with a dark soft GAP t-shirt over my eyes for years. I finally had to find a replacement for the first one. I can't stand any light when I sleep I also can't sleep if someone is touching me.

I love movie popcorn with lots o' salt. If they don't have packets I make my own with a napkin fold it up carefully so that half way through the bowl I can re-apply

I hate foot sweat :sick: So I almost always have open shoes on so that the air circulates.

I'm also rarely fully dressed in my own home. I keep "real" clothes handy but I hate unexpected knocks on the door :angry:

oh and peanut butter has to go on the bread before jelly or the bread will absorb the jelly and get soggy

:reject:

redkat said:
...I can't stand any light when I sleep I also can't sleep if someone is touching me.

I'm also rarely fully dressed in my own home.

What did you say your address was again? :sexywink: LOL

:lol:

You know how toddlers tend to ask "why?" a lot and basically want to know how EVERYTHING works. Well, I never grew out of that at all. It drives people nuts. :laugh:

^You two should meet my wee bro:wink: (not Will aka ZeroDude)

I sing a lot..on my way to lectures, anywhere, anytime...i just like to sing...and maybe occasionally bust a few moves to but that is less frequent:cool:

I may have also developed a liking to my green hair....

tiny dancer said:
I have to have some kind of noise in the back ground (like a fan running) in order to get to sleep. I hate complete silence.

complete opposite...I even have to turn of my comp cos it's fan keeps me awake!!

When walking on a pavement, I cannot walk on the tar lines that occur every few steps.

Similarly, if I scratch one of my ears, I must scratch the other before I do anything else.

When showering, I always wash under my arms first.

If eating Candy(M&Ms, Smarties etc), i always keep the red and black ones till the very end. The green and yellow ones must always be eaten first.

RedrocksU2 said:
I never pick the top newspaper...
I always pick the second one or the third......

:shrug:

I do this too. Why do we do it? It's strange.

When I sit, I cant have my feet touch the floor. I always have bare feet unless I'm at work or somewhere fancy. I hate enclosed shoes and cannot wear socks with shoes. I haven't done so since I was a kid. I dont really like socks, and will only wear the ankle ones a few times a year if it gets exceptionally cold. Which it doesn't do where I live.
:huh:

I check bathrooms compulsively for spiders. Huntsmans, to be precise. :sad: And cars now too, after last night.

Ooh, cool thread! :hyper: OK, let's see...what are my quirks?

1) I make the most random connections. I'm not really sure how to explain this, but I'll try to give an example: My mom works for a local community college, and a few weeks ago she and some of her colleagues were interviewing potential geology professors. As part of the interview, the applicants had to give a presentation on geology, and my mom was telling me all these cool little geology facts that she learned as a result. We were driving back home from school and she mentioned that the mountains are eroding at approximately the same rate fingernails grow (she gave an exact figure, but I can't remember what it was). Anyway, I immediately blurted out, "So, if we replace the eroded mountain soil with fingernails, then we're all right!" :huh: We both laughed at how completely stupid that was, but the sad thing is I'm always making this really ridiculous leaps of "logic," and usually voicing them to my parents or friends or whoever happens to be in the vicinity.

2) I'm also prone to start singing song fragments if someone says a few words that are in a song (gosh, I really am bad at explaining this! :| ). It's not always really obvious, either - I mean, I know I'm not the only one who starts singing a certain U2 song if someone mentions how gorgeous the weather is (right? :uhoh: ), but I'll pick out really weird lines from songs and stuff and just make that connection. For example, last year my friend Erik and I were walking back to our dorms one evening, and it was kind of cold out. Erik said "it's cold," or something logical like that, and I immediately started singing "3:36, it's cold, I know I'm growing old..." (from The Who's "Early Morning Cold Taxi). Weirdness. :huh:

3) Someone mentioned a few pages back about hating wet paper. YES!! That freaks me out as well. Can't stand wet tissues or anything like that...paper towels I can deal with, as long as they're substantial enough and not like the toilet-papery kind that fall apart in your hands. :yuck: Those seriously disgust me. *shudders* I'm not even sure why, but I really can't stand it.

4) Kind of going along with #3, when I was little I used to completely freak out about standing on a bathmat when I got out of the tub. :shrug: I guess I just didn't like the feel of the little curly fibers against my wet feet or something, I don't know. I'm over it now but up until I was about 6 or 7 I had to have a towel laid down over the bathmat when I got out.

5) I hate having long fingernails, and I absolutely can't stand to have them grow even past the tip of my finger. When I was in high school I would let the nail of the pinky finger on my right hand grow out just enough that I could use it to adjust a screw that kept coming loose on my flute (weird, I know, but it worked), but now I'm in college and don't play flute on a regular basis, so my fingernails are all short.

6) I'm a compulsive e-mail/away message checker.

7) I always feel like I have to give my three animals equal attention, and I always feel really guilty if my dog gives me that "you're-ignoring-me-in-favor-of-the-cats" look. :sad: (Not so much the other way around, but I think that's because my cats are, quite frankly, glad to get rid of me. :| Silly felines!)

8) Not so much the case any more, but I used to absolutely flip out if anyone touched my neck or shoulders. One of my friends didn't believe me and tried it, and I damn near broke his arm. :ohmy: Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend, though, I'm gradually beginning to trust people (well, at least him) to touch my neck, if they're someone who's close to me and I know they mean well.

Yeah, I think that's about all for now...I'm sure I have more than eight quirks, but I guess I'll have to get back to you on that, lol.

If I buy a bag of candy or pack of skittles or something of the sort, I'm convinced the 2nd or 3rd ones have more than the 1st on on the rack or in the stack.

I will only eat pretzles with Coke.

I have been known to clog any toilet I sit on. Oh yeah, once without any TP.
:reject:

I have to finish what I start or I will honestly forget about it and start something else which usually leads me to starting other things and I'll forget about the first one until I go back to a certain place where I thought to do the first thing. :wink:

To do my hair, I headbang for 10 seconds and if I don't like how it looks, I do it again.

That's all for now.
philk

I am riddled with quirks.

1) I always complete one food item at a time i.e. do not mix food. (unless it's mexican beans and rice, or rice & corn -- I could probably mix corn in anything.)

2) I must sleep with the fan on, even in the middle of winter. I remember my first sleep-over, my friend's room didn't have a fan and it bothered me so much I asked to be brought back home. Also, when I lived on campus the first purchase I made for my dorm room was an oscillating fan. :|

3) I'm a neat freak. For example, I know exactly what's in my car right now, because it's the same thing that's in my car day after day. I have my work hat in the driver's door side compartment, a c.d. case in the passenger door compartment, shop receipts/registration info in the glove dept. and a cherry air freshener dangling from the rear view :D . My room is a little cluttered at the moment, and I have a slight feeling of unrest over it haha.

4) At work, I cannot stand when dishes are placed in the dishwater unless they're completely rinsed off. I constantly drain/refill the tub behind people.

5) When I get nervous (or bored) I bite on my lip or the side of my cheek. I may also touch my tongue to my cheek or rub it along my upper teeth.

6) Before leaving the house, I run a lint brush over my clothes, no matter what color I'm wearing or if it's necessary. I'm paranoid about having hair on my clothes :crazy:

7) I wash everything in cold water and hang everything up to dry. Some of the only items I machine dry are socks & pajama pants.

Cleasai said:

Curious, why would he be seeing a Chiropractor for a psychological condition?

I know! It was really odd to me at first too, because I didn't know much about chiropractic until I worked for him. But he adjusts cranial plates along with every other joint in the body, and it turns out that adjusting cranial plates can help with a multitude of psychological conditions - OCD, depression, ADD, headaches/migraines, for example. Fascinating, fascinating stuff. So now as a massage therapist when I give people scalp massages I'm always checking their cranial plates to see what I can help with. Haven't been doing it enough on people to really know if a difference is being made (and people aren't complaining about my scalp massages), but I'm learning lots and lots.

Oh a few other quirks, and I'm quite frankly surprised this next one hasn't been mentioned (or I haven't noticed it) :

Toilet paper HAS to be set up so that the roll spins clockwise. This is so that when I use the bathroom at night I don't have to wake up and think about which way I'm supposed to spin it. Besides, spinning it counter-clockwise is just wrong.

I CANNOT walk over manhole covers of any kind of the sidewalk. I'm too afraid I'll fall in.

Oh wow this is a fun thread!

My miniblinds all have slats facing up.

I can't sleep unless the room is pitch black dark with some kind of soft music, or one of those environmental noise players with ocean waves, crickets, etc. playing.

I can't ever sleep on a plane, train or in the car.

I never step on cracks.

I read magazines from back to front.

I read the last page of a book first.

I separate skittles, M&M's, jelly beans, chex mix etc before eating them then eat them by group/flavor/color.

I never let my gas tank in the car drop below 1/2 tank.

It must always be a nice, clean wipe :wink:

I like potatoe chips inside my PBJ.

I like fries inside my cheeseburger.

Sandwiches or burgers must be pressed/squished just so before I eat them.

McDonald's french fries dipped in tartar sauce :up:

Drawers, cabinet & closet doors need to be closed.

I leave a radio or TV on for my dog when I'm not home.

Checks in my checkbook must rip acros the top not the side.

Plastic hangers in the closet (NO WIRE HANGERS!) with the hooks all going in the same direction.

Junk mail that includes a SASE gets paper mailed back in it so the sender has to pay postage!

Labels face front in medicine cabinet, pantry, fridge & freezer.

My cds, dvds and records are alphabetized.

I have a massive twitch that makes my whole left face convulse

girls tell me it's so cute!

I MUST have something to drink in the car.

If I am going to be in the car for a long time and the trip starts in the morning, I MUST stop at McD's for a sausage McMuffin or I will get car sick. And I must have oodles of other snack type things in the car to entertain me.

AM radio makes my ears ring.

Back
Top Bottom