Do people smoke pot at U2 shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no problem with getting blazed during a concert. A few guys next to me were, and I loved the smell. But that's just me, and I can appreciate how it bothers people. I don't really think you have a choice though when going to a concert

** Of course it should be decriminalized, for sure
**BUT Second hand smoke of any kind is problematic and environmentally and socially indefensible. Just smoke whatever you want to smoke outside the venue and in the car.
**Don't keep a kid home who wants to go just because of this.
**I saw ELO, Rush, & the Rolling Stones at 14 and I turned out okay!!!
\**For years, I went to U2 completely sober and left higher than I have ever been *on the music alone.* I used to be goody goody straight edge in general.
**Now, I'd say U2 is more of a beer band, and though I saw quite a few tipsy people at my last show and the after party, no one was even remotely obnoxious, only very beautiful and loving and friendly.
**Edge talks about mushrooms in a recent NME piece and yes Adam did pot, so . . . what's the big deal . . . from the more moral than thou point of view . . .
**Glad to see other Tool / APC peops on this list. Glad I'm not the only one who goes over to the dark side for the best art-metal band ever. My wife is a Maynard-girl, and I'm a Bono-man, and we're both sort of "jesus pagans" if that makes any sense at all.
***If U2 has any "pot" records, it would have to be of the AB/Zoo/Pop phase, which makes sense, since those were the wild-middle aged years . . .
love, Anu

has your favorite band ever smoked 'pot', axver?
the answer is, yes indeed. go listen to your fav album, go listen to zooropa, and mainly go listen to passengers. whats that? youve never listened to passengers? only miss sarajevo? well you would if you were high. the thing is, you start to 'get' u2 in the 90's when you blaze and you start to think about what it is theyre doing.
its not just adam, its the whole band. many of you will stubbornly say, no way, not my band! im so sorry to tell you this but, they have, and the 90's u2 wouldnt be the same without it. and if you think they werent rolling during popmart, you have your head further up your ass than i had previously thought. (adam even has a damned surgeons mask on his face in some concerts< for those of you who arent 'hip', we used those to rub vicks vaporub inside of it to breathe it in> enhances the roll.)
and yeah i was just fucking with you about chiefing down at a concert, i probably would get high just not in the arena, im not that big an ass. but i would appreciate it if someone passed me something to hit, i would welcome it with open arms, open mouth, open lungs, cappilaries, fuck it. anyway, you are still my fav screen name on this board,axver, i was just picking on you.

as for the rest of you......
some of you people need to do some research before you start making claims on how 'evil' pot is.
"blech its so bad"
"i got sick from second hand smoke",
"i got a contact high",(bullshit)
"it smells like excrement",
"i got cancer once from second hand pot smoke at boston 2001"
"whatever"

you say you dont need pot to hear u2, thats fine, whatever the fuck ever, but i guarantee you dont hear it all.

by the way, insult my intelligence all you want, i dont proofread i just throw shit as i think it and hit send. its a message board. eat shit. and oh yeah, i curse, so therfore i must be stupid. ill make sure to inform bono of this syndrome when and if i meet him. my brain cells are diminished from all the pot smoking, right? i guess thats why im graduating from a university with a degree in advertising and latin in 3 weeks. how many of you non pot heads can say that? thats what i thought.

all im saying is: "dont knock it until you try it" i did and i know it was ignorant. i read up on it, did my own research, filtered through the propoganda and found the facts. tried it out and now i think a little more abstract and outside of the box. ive found new perspectives on everything. you people who bitch and complain are the ones who dont understand. period. thats all there is to it.

so go ahead. preach on, you ignorant bastards! :wink:

I'm deleting most of what I wrote because I have better things to do with my time than argue on the internet with people who push my buttons.

I'll leave this bit, though:

Oh, and whether or not U2 has used drugs. What's your point? That just because U2 may have been doing drugs while recording, we can't possibly appreciate the music unless we're on drugs too? That you're a "better" fan because you toke up before listening and therefore "get" them?

Oh noes!!! It's U2 peer pressure!

Last edited:
t8thgr8 said:

some of you people need to do some research before you start making claims on how 'evil' pot is.
"blech its so bad"
"whatever"

So, it's impossible to get sick from second hand smoke? That's BS. I am highly allergic to smoke (be is from a cig or pot) so I guess I have no clue what i'm talking about when I start coughing and hacking from it?

Also, I have no problem with people doing it. Smoke up all you want just do it responsibly. I lost a boyfriend to someone driving while high. The jerk that hit and killed him and his brother hardly had a scratch on him but hey, who cares as long as he had fun getting high!

he wouldve hit your boyfriend regardless. and i guess you would be coughing and 'hacking' if you were highly allergic to any smoke but you arent so stop making up diseases and ill begin to take you seriously. ive never met a wee frail lisa before so ill bet you have some serious meat on your bones. i doubt youre hacking up anything.

t8thgr8 said:
he wouldve hit your boyfriend regardless. and i guess you would be coughing and 'hacking' if you were highly allergic to any smoke but you arent so stop making up diseases and ill begin to take you seriously. ive never met a wee frail lisa before so ill bet you have some serious meat on your bones. i doubt youre hacking up anything.

EXCUSE ME? I am beyond irrate that you would even say that he would have been hit regardless. You have NO CLUE. I only hope, for your sake, the same thing doesn't happen to you one day, then you may have a different attitude. Geez, I'm gonna shut up before I say something I'll get repremanded for. Open you mind to other truths, not just your own.

PS Don't tell me what I'm allergic to, I've got a doctor to tell me that!

Last edited:
Lisa71 said:

EXCUSE ME? I am beyond irrate that you would even say that he would have been hit regardless. You have NO CLUE. I only hope, for your sake, the same thing doesn't happen to you one day, then you may have a different attitude. Geez, I'm gonna shut up before I say something I'll get repremanded for. Open you mind to other truths, not just your own.

PS Don't tell me what I'm allergic to, I've got a doctor to tell me that!

Lisa, I would completely disregard everything that guy says. He/she is obviously just trying to piss people off and create an uproar. Just look at their first post... like others in this thread have mentioned, it was a perfect example of why people shouldn't smoke pot. lol! :coocoo:

I'm pretty sure that in the book "U2: At the End of the World" there is a comment about the Edge eating a bunch of shrooms! Anyone remember what chapter that was in?

t8thgr8 said:

dude, its called tact, look into it

to people that say you cant get sick from smelling pot...that's crap. People are sensitive to smells sometimes. Like I said before, I've even smoked the stuff myself before but you have to respect the rights of others. Some people don't want to smell it, be around it, smell like it after the show or whatever. And DONT you DARE tell those people not to go to concerts because that is just a lame excuse for those that say that to be selfish.

To people who only think what they want is important....listen to bono during tour when he is talking about equal rights and how everybody should be respected....

t8thgr8 said:

How is that relevant? I don't base my life decisions on what U2 have done in their lives - if I did something just because U2 had, then I might as well go throw myself off a cliff.

mainly go listen to passengers. whats that? youve never listened to passengers? only miss sarajevo? well you would if you were high. the thing is, you start to 'get' u2 in the 90's when you blaze and you start to think about what it is theyre doing.

Actually, I've listened to all of Passengers and I love it (United Colours, Slug, and Beach Sequence in particular). I don't need or want any drug to 'enhance' my perceptions of reality - I'd much rather retain full control of my senses and not have them artificially altered. I can enjoy music quite nicely on my own.

i guarantee you dont hear it all.

I guarantee I'm hearing what's naturally there.

all im saying is: "dont knock it until you try it"

That's not always safe logic. Don't knock jumping off a cliff until you've tried it? Don't knock being shot until you've tried it? I know those examples aren't the same, but just because you don't wish to try something doesn't mean you can't knock it. One may have very valid reasons for not trying it - just as all of us have valid reasons for not trying jumping off a cliff or getting shot.

I've made my decisions and I'm comfortable with them. I'd just ask that other people not infringe upon that, especially when they're infringing through illegal behaviour. I don't want you to steal my money, smack me over the head with a metal pole, or smoke pot. Is it too much to ask that people abide by the law?

Last edited:
t8thgr8 said:
okay, you are seriously out of line here. personal attacks such as this are not allowed.

I'd hate for anyone to be smoking anything around me - smoke makes me cough. I'd much rather someone have a pint as at least they arent forcing it down my throat at the same time.

Saying that I think there's less chance of it over here in the UK and more chance of people having a few drinks.

Last edited:
Here is a document on the possible dangers of fog and smoke machines, which some claim can cause more problems in people with respiratory problems or asthma than cigarette or cigarette type smoke (read pot).

http://www.uic.edu/sph/glakes/harts/HARTS_library/smokefog.txt

Just thought it was interesting, comparing the possibility of a relatively small amount of pot smoke from an individual to the enourmous amount of fog that is used at a typical U2 concert.

Last edited:
Think about this all you F-ing pot smokers in the concert...

1. When you need to get high to enjoy a concert, your slapping the band in the face! If you need to get high to enjoy the U2 concert your telling U2 that they suck and you need a chemical so that the concert is enjoyable.

2. When you smoke around other peeps, you are shoving YOUR smoke down their throats and unfortunatly they have no choice.

3. Why should other people who paid just as much for the concert have to endure something that they hate (ie pot smoke) WHY tell me WHY dont you have any fucking curtesy??? If you wanna get high and kill some brain cells and become stupid in the process by all means do it, but can you please do it before the fucking concert???? can you have some respect for both the fans and the band? don't they deserve respect???

4. Sometimes pot heads make me sick with them forcing everyone else to try pot as if it was the best fucking thing in the world. I don't need no fucking chemicals to enhance my life in any sort of way. I enjoy life to the fullest without the aid of chemicals in my brain. And if you have some fucking moral respect, YOU will not smoke pot in the concert

Thats all!

[

QUOTE]Originally posted by t8thgr8
the answer is, yes indeed. go listen to your fav album, go listen to zooropa, and mainly go listen to passengers. whats that? youve never listened to passengers? only miss sarajevo? well you would if you were high. the thing is, you start to 'get' u2 in the 90's when you blaze and you start to think about what it is theyre doing.
its not just adam, its the whole band. many of you will stubbornly say, no way, not my band! im so sorry to tell you this but, they have, and the 90's u2 wouldnt be the same without it. and if you think they werent rolling during popmart, you have your head further up your ass than i had previously thought. (adam even has a damned surgeons mask on his face in some concerts< for those of you who arent 'hip', we used those to rub vicks vaporub inside of it to breathe it in> enhances the roll.)
and yeah i was just fucking with you about chiefing down at a concert, i probably would get high just not in the arena, im not that big an ass. but i would appreciate it if someone passed me something to hit, i would welcome it with open arms, open mouth, open lungs, cappilaries, fuck it. anyway, you are still my fav screen name on this board,axver, i was just picking on you.

"blech its so bad"
"whatever"

you say you dont need pot to hear u2, thats fine, whatever the fuck ever, but i guarantee you dont hear it all.

by the way, insult my intelligence all you want, i dont proofread i just throw shit as i think it and hit send. its a message board. eat shit. and oh yeah, i curse, so therfore i must be stupid. ill make sure to inform bono of this syndrome when and if i meet him. my brain cells are diminished from all the pot smoking, right? i guess thats why im graduating from a university with a degree in advertising and latin in 3 weeks. how many of you non pot heads can say that? thats what i thought.

all im saying is: "dont knock it until you try it" i did and i know it was ignorant. i read up on it, did my own research, filtered through the propoganda and found the facts. tried it out and now i think a little more abstract and outside of the box. ive found new perspectives on everything. you people who bitch and complain are the ones who dont understand. period. thats all there is to it.

[/QUOTE]

Your obviusly not too bright yourself.... I would hate to be taking something into my body that can be used as pesticide.. that should tell you something about pot

is it the rediculous amount of uses the plant has? is it the FACT that it could replace cotton and save the environment and manufacturers huge amounts of pesticide? because guess what? it has its own natural pestcide! is it becausetheres more protein in a pot seed ten fold than there is in a soy bean? maybe because of its high potential in fuel alternatives? whatever it is, im sure its ignorant and uneducated. [/B][/QUOTE]

I guarantee I'm hearing what's naturally there.

You're definitely hearing what's there, but when you're high, you hear things differently, more spiritually.

That's not always safe logic. Don't knock jumping off a cliff until you've tried it? Don't knock being shot until you've tried it? I know those examples aren't the same, but just because you don't wish to try something doesn't mean you can't knock it. One may have very valid reasons for not trying it - just as all of us have valid reasons for not trying jumping off a cliff or getting shot.

worst case scenarios
Jumping off a cliff: death or being seriously mangled

being shot: see above

smoking a spliff: coughing, barfing, bad tripping, eating way too much food, passing out. There is no known toxic dosage of pot.

so, in terms of risk assessment, I'd go for pot.

I've made my decisions and I'm comfortable with them. I'd just ask that other people not infringe upon that, especially when they're infringing through illegal behaviour. I don't want you to steal my money, smack me over the head with a metal pole, or smoke pot. Is it too much to ask that people abide by the law? [/B]

You have to ask yourself why it's illegal. Basically it goes back to the fact that Hemp/Cannabis is a superior natural fibre to tree pulp for making paper, requires no pesticides to grow, grows to maturity in three months, can be used to make clothes and things like linens and ropes.

In fact, Columbus sailed to America with Cannabis sails and hemp paper books made ages before tree paper books are in better condition today because there is no acid used in the process or something to that nature.

There is also evidence that Jesus annointed people with Cannabis oil.

Many people point to a forest barron with ties to government as the cause of the criminalisation of pot and subsequent laughable propaganda such as "Refer Madness".

Here in Canada, where pot use is pretty open and widespread, the cops don't want to waste their time enforcing the laws.

Our own senate did a study on it and came to the conclusion that it should be legalised for among other reasons, the fact that it is less harmful than alchohol.

So, I will continue my spiritual and social enlightenment, choosing to enhale the sweet smoke of nature's gift. I never use things like Advil or Tylenol which are toxic to the liver and the mind.

I am very successful at my profession. I don't go to work high, just as most others wouldn't drink before work. I know lots of people who smoke and are all the better for it.

So if you're not up for the don't knock it till you've tried it argument, at least don't knock it till you've researched using unbiased sources.

The world is not black and white as your government would have you believe. Believe it or not, smoking pot might give you some insight into world issues.

Question the answers.

Peace.

bobola said:

The world is not black and white as your government would have you believe. Believe it or not, smoking pot might give you some insight into world issues.

Or, like a number of people I knew in high school and college, it could either A) impair your ability to process information, eventually screwing with your ability to graduate and excel later in life, or B) simply serve as a gateway drug to other, more dangerous forms of intoxication.

Slippery slopes only run in one direction.

No. 3.5 said:
I'd much rather someone have a pint as at least they arent forcing it down my throat at the same time.

Saying that I think there's less chance of it over here in the UK and more chance of people having a few drinks.

Very sensible!

theblazer said:
I'm pretty sure that in the book "U2: At the End of the World" there is a comment about the Edge eating a bunch of shrooms! Anyone remember what chapter that was in?

Shrooms = magic mushrooms I assume? I don't have U2: At the End of the World but in an interview they did with NME a while back Edge says they all (the entire band) had a magic mushroom session in Adam's house sometime in the 90's - there were magic mushrooms growing in a field near the house seemingly.

t8thgr8 said:

This post is very rude. Personal attacks are not allowed here.

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=5

bobola said:
You're definitely hearing what's there, but when you're high, you hear things differently, more spiritually.

WTF? In that case, my brain must naturally be a pot farm as I was having a pretty good experience listening to The Joshua Tree last night.

I don't need some substance to enhance my experience of music, or to warp my perception of reality so that I hear something 'spiritually' or however you want to put it. I would much rather enjoy what's naturally there and let the music have its intended impact upon me without chemical stimulus. I want the intended effect, not an effect warped by any drug.

worst case scenarios
Jumping off a cliff: death or being seriously mangled

being shot: see above

smoking a spliff: coughing, barfing, bad tripping, eating way too much food, passing out. There is no known toxic dosage of pot.

so, in terms of risk assessment, I'd go for pot.

As I said, the examples aren't exactly level. I was just trying to illustrate that you can assess an activity before you do it and decide for yourself if you wish to risk it. You can have very valid reasons for knocking something you haven't tried because you have looked into it and made an informed choice against trying it. Just countering the "don't knock it before you try it" logic; not trying to say pot is equal to leaping off a cliff or playing Russian roulette.

You have to ask yourself why it's illegal.

No, I don't. Fact is, I don't want people to be partaking in illegal activities and all I ask is that they have due respect for the law. It's not a matter of whether it should or shouldn't be illegal, it's a matter of fact that it's illegal right now and I believe it is reasonable to ask that people respect that law.

If you sincerely believe the law is in error, CHALLENGE IT. But don't challenge it by smoking pot at a rock concert - that's stupid. Challenge it maturely, through the proper channels, and campaign to overturn the law.

And look, you can have all your theories about why it's illegal, and various conspiracies about how the government are trying to stop this or that and thus protect the profits of big business or whatever else you want - that has utterly no bearing on the fact that I simply do not need or want any chemicals to alter my experience of music, philosophy, or any other aspect of life. I would rather process everything with a level, clear head that is accuracy assessing reality rather than through a perception warped by a drug.

As much as I hate to add to this already too long thread, the fact is, people are going to smoke weed at U2 shows. I personally don't mind some from time to time, but I agree it's not very nice to smoke it at an indoor concert. And while we might wonder why anyone would dream of getting high or drunk at a U2 show, remember, the audience at a U2 show is not just made up of hardcore fans but casual fans and general rock fans who get stoned at every concert they attend and aren't there for the "U2 Experience".

Back
Top Bottom