Diversity of songs on next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theFly51

New Yorker
I know on the Vertigo Tour they played a good selection of songs through-out the tour and some rareties (Discotheque, Kite, MOTD, etc.) I was looking through Axver's Vertigo-Tour Website and the setlist each night on all legs of the the tour were pretty good. I think every album had at least 2 songs played.

So............for the next tour, do you think U2 will pull out some other gems and make them regulars and change up the rotation a bit?

I'm certain U2 will mix it up like they did on the Vertigo tour. I'm hoping songs from:

UF
Pop
Zooropa

get represented.

As last tour was the Boy (6 songs), JT (7 songs) , & AB (7 songs) lovefest :wink:

the more albums they release, the less likely it is every album will be represented. as the above poster said, a lot depends on the sound of the new album.

a lot also depends on if they trot out the war horses, or if they rotate them. you're going to have 6-7 songs, about 33% of the concert, taken up by new material. that's going to leave 14-16 songs to span the rest of their career. you can chalk up beautiful day, vertigo, streets and one probably so from there you're down to 10-12.

and that's not even talking about new years day, pride, sunday bloody sunday, with or without you, i will follow, bullet the blue sky etc.

The way they did the Boy section, we need to have an October section for some of the nights (Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow, and October), a War section for some of the nights (Surrender, Like A Song, and Two Hearts Beat As One), and an Unforgettable Fire section some nights (A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, and Promenade)

the tourist said:
The way they did the Boy section, we need to have an October section for some of the nights (Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow, and October), a War section for some of the nights (Surrender, Like A Song, and Two Hearts Beat As One), and an Unforgettable Fire section some nights (A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, and Promenade)

Oooh the October section would be :drool:

I have inside information about the next tour-setlist: (brace yourselves!!)

(6 new songs) +:
- Vertigo
- Beautiful Day
- Elevation
- New Year's Day
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
- New Years Day (is that a surprise or what!!!)
- I Will Follow
- Angel Of Harlem
- One
- Pride (In the Name Of Love) (surprise again!!!)
- City Of Blinding Lights
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Bullet the Blue Sky
- Desire (acoustic)
- Stay (acoustic)
- Pride (In the Name Of Love) (encore)
- With Or Without You
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- One (Mary J. Blige version)
- With Or Without You (again)

some "oldies" to be switched with (on very "special" occasions):

- All I Want Is you
- Bad
- Stuck (acoustic)

Well, is this a surprise-setlist or what??:lol: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

It hurts myself as much as you do, but you know very well that it's not far from the truth... U2 has become more and more their own tribute-band who play the safe songs with mainly two reasons:
1. they played these songs to death so they feel safe and comfy with it... They're getting more and more afraid of "f***-ups", because they KNOW themselves their getting old and the fire and passion are long gone... So they go on auto-pilot with these songs.. Any other U2-song makes them vulnurable.. (Any other U2-tribute band would probably completely outplay them these days with any of their songs!! I've heard fantastic versions of Acrobat, Please, Zooropa, Red Hill Mining Town, etc.. by tribute bands!!!)

2. their main goal is just wanting to maintain their mega-best-of-the-best band status and therefore they keep playing the big hits and the safe songs so they won't lose the attention of the masses! So:
- Please: is out!
- Until The End.. and Gone: only very, very occasionally!
- Electric Co.: only for the Vertigo-tour!
- Ultaviolet: keep dreaming fans!
- Acrobat: hahahahahahaha!!!!!!
- Wire: they're too old for this tempo!
- Ground Beneath (full band): crowd goes for beer!
- Love Is Blindness: to difficult for them (U2 AND crowd)
- Exit/God's Country: were buried long time ago!
- Lemon: crowd goes for a burger!
- When I Look At The World: (Edge: "did we write that?")
- A Man And A Woman: crowd goes for another beer!
- 11 O'clock Tick Tock: crowd goes for the toilets
- Unforgettable Fire: poor U2... they would drown in this song nowadays
- etc, etc, etc....

So it's Pride, Streets, Beautiful Day, One, etc... again, again, and again (hmmm, do I hear Mercy ?) No, can't be...
"this song has to be put to silence because there was a spark of passion here! And who wants that? Not the main crowd they don't... yeah, maybe a few nerdy die-hard U2 fans but who cares? hahahaha!!! No, this songs would probably not appeal to the big whoa-o-o-o (Pride) crowd so let's bury this one and just focus on another BIG U2 hit!! Who's in favour? (Larry puts up hand... and the other follow)
Ok, let's proceed with making a big cliché U2 stadium rocker! What was this song you were working on Bono? City Of Blinding what? Yeah, sounds great, let's work on that one... the masses will love it!!!"
Bono: "Watch out Bigger Bang/Greatest Hits Rolling Stones here we come! Let's see who's the biggest Greatest Hits band here!"

the tourist said:

You know.............: this just might happen!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eeklaugh: :eeklaugh: :eeklaugh:

I know they played Gloria (I think on the second night in San Diego) and it sounded like they were tired when they performed it. I dont know if they played it again throughout the tour but it seems like they need to put they energy back in it.

As for the War section: SURRENDER!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
(with backing vocals from Larry) :drool: :larry:

onyourkneesboy :eyebrow:, you're out of your mind...i hope the majority of your post was not serious...i hope............

theFly51 said:
I know they played Gloria (I think on the second night in San Diego) and it sounded like they were tired when they performed it. I dont know if they played it again throughout the tour but it seems like they need to put they energy back in it.

Just listen to East Rutherford II – it was an astonishing performance: hard, fast paced, sung with inspiration. Wow! Still don't understand, why I have had to wait decades to see this ...

theFly51 said:
I think every album had at least 2 songs played.

Almost! Every album did get represented. :) October was only represented by Gloria, and I think the biggest shame was that Pop's sole representation, Discotheque, was done just twice.

As for the next tour, U2 have set a pattern the last couple of tours for reviving old songs and I hope it will continue. Elevation brought back songs like OOC, 11OTT, and The Fly. Vertigo brought back even more - The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Zoo Station, Miss Sarajevo, etc. Next tour, I'm certainly hoping for a few more surprises.

U2 have to face the reality that even the classics have to go into rotation, which I think they've started to do reasonably (see the fifth leg, swapping songs like Angel Of Harlem and Desire, UTEOTW and I Will Follow), and that sort of thing will only increase on the next tour. I think more rotation like that gives more chance for other songs to creep in too. But it's too hard to say anything conclusive so far away from the tour, when we've no hint of the album's theme or the tour's scope. A stadium tour will, it seems, have less variety than an arena tour just because of U2's mindset towards setlists.

theFly51 said:
I know they played Gloria (I think on the second night in San Diego) and it sounded like they were tired when they performed it. I dont know if they played it again throughout the tour but it seems like they need to put they energy back in it.:

Gloria was done a total of 19 times. That included a run of six consecutive shows near the end of the third leg. It was fairly sporadic over earlier stages of the tour, and missed out entirely on the fourth and fifth legs.

I got to see it once, 26 May 2005 in Boston, and it was great. :drool:

Axver said:

Gloria was done a total of 19 times. That included a run of six consecutive shows near the end of the third leg. It was fairly sporadic over earlier stages of the tour, and missed out entirely on the fourth and fifth legs.

I got to see it once, 26 May 2005 in Boston, and it was great. :drool:

You lucky man :wink:

I'd love to hear them do Rejoice again. i've only just discovered recently how good that song is. although the way it sounds on October sounds like a bunch of young lads playing their hearts out and i don't know if they could do it justice now.

having said that the performances of The Electric Co on the last tour were superb so who knows?

onyourkneesboy said:

It hurts myself as much as you do, but you know very well that it's not far from the truth... U2 has become more and more their own tribute-band who play the safe songs with mainly two reasons:
1. they played these songs to death so they feel safe and comfy with it... They're getting more and more afraid of "f***-ups", because they KNOW themselves their getting old and the fire and passion are long gone... So they go on auto-pilot with these songs.. Any other U2-song makes them vulnurable.. (Any other U2-tribute band would probably completely outplay them these days with any of their songs!! I've heard fantastic versions of Acrobat, Please, Zooropa, Red Hill Mining Town, etc.. by tribute bands!!!)

2. their main goal is just wanting to maintain their mega-best-of-the-best band status and therefore they keep playing the big hits and the safe songs so they won't lose the attention of the masses! So:
- Please: is out!
- Until The End.. and Gone: only very, very occasionally!
- Electric Co.: only for the Vertigo-tour!
- Ultaviolet: keep dreaming fans!
- Acrobat: hahahahahahaha!!!!!!
- Wire: they're too old for this tempo!
- Ground Beneath (full band): crowd goes for beer!
- Love Is Blindness: to difficult for them (U2 AND crowd)
- Exit/God's Country: were buried long time ago!
- Lemon: crowd goes for a burger!
- When I Look At The World: (Edge: "did we write that?")
- A Man And A Woman: crowd goes for another beer!
- 11 O'clock Tick Tock: crowd goes for the toilets
- Unforgettable Fire: poor U2... they would drown in this song nowadays
- etc, etc, etc....

So it's Pride, Streets, Beautiful Day, One, etc... again, again, and again (hmmm, do I hear Mercy ?) No, can't be...
"this song has to be put to silence because there was a spark of passion here! And who wants that? Not the main crowd they don't... yeah, maybe a few nerdy die-hard U2 fans but who cares? hahahaha!!! No, this songs would probably not appeal to the big whoa-o-o-o (Pride) crowd so let's bury this one and just focus on another BIG U2 hit!! Who's in favour? (Larry puts up hand... and the other follow)
Ok, let's proceed with making a big cliché U2 stadium rocker! What was this song you were working on Bono? City Of Blinding what? Yeah, sounds great, let's work on that one... the masses will love it!!!"
Bono: "Watch out Bigger Bang/Greatest Hits Rolling Stones here we come! Let's see who's the biggest Greatest Hits band here!"

I dont know where to start. Their own tribute band- what the hell do you expect them to play, Beethoven most nights and a little bit of Morrissey on occassion? How about those Coldplay guys, maybe U2 should start playing their songs. God knows they should not play their own, because people like them and will pay to see them and that keeps them on top. This makes no sense. U2 played plenty of new material on the Vertigo tour, showcased it all, all went off great, COBL, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, MD, LAPOE, OOS, Crumbs, Yahweh, only exception being some performances of ABOY. That is not playing it safe, they adapted new songs that had reached new fan bases live. They have done this their whole career and that, my friend, is why they are on top! I can speak from experience, as I know alot of people my age became fans when bomb came out. The lack of good music today had everyone in my senior class of 2005 agreeing that HTDAAB was the best album out at the time by far. Many of my friends who had only heard of U2 through their parents rushed to buy tickets. Your list of songs that we should 'keep dreaming about' would surely have included An Cat Dubh, Electric co, Gloria, Discoteque, Zoo Station, First time and Love is Blindness in early 2005 before the Vertigo tour began. U2 has always brought back old material, as others have said, it depends on the sound of the album they are promoting. Also, IGC is long buried?? How about elevation 2001, a few performances. Please got a bunch of snippets on Vertigo tour. The reality is, they have to play their hits, it is how they got to where they are today, and they have to play their new songs, thats what sets them apart from the Stones and the Who, they release token new albums that are half assed just as an excuse to go on a greatest hits tour. How much attention do their new albums get? Certainly nowhere near the amount U2's get! Your comment about them not playing w/ energy/being incapable of such energy makes me think you did not see any live footage of the vertigo tour. Look at Chicago DVD electric co, or Vertigo encore on Milan DVD or UTTEOTW or the Fly, I could go on and on about the energy and intensity that came back on this tour. They are not too old or too tired for any of their songs, as electric co and fly were full throttle. Pride and WOWY, for example, are slower now, but that is more a matter of choice I think as the new songs are not lacking at all. Bono just wants to send a more conteplative message w/Pride now. I am sure if he wanted to, he could crank it out like he did on rattle and hum, but he saves his voice for sometimes, miss sarajevo, etc. His voice did get better on the 5th leg of vertigo, and Pride picked up in tempo and sounded damn close to Zoo TV Pride. Bono's voice, rapidly improving these days, is the only variable. You could not argue, without being committed to an asylum, that Larry, Edge or Adam have lost anything at all. In fact, Adam for one has gotten much better with time. Edge is still edge and Larry still pounds away as hard and as fast as ever! They have lost very little to nothing, rest assured, I work shows for a living and have seen bands that are truly only greatest hits and bands that have more than lost it.(Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Loverboy etc the list goes on and on)As for cover bands being better, that is absolutely laughable. If they were better, then why are they playing in a pub in front of 200 people instead of signing a record deal and going on the road and selling albums?? Many are good, absolutely, but better than U2, no way whatsoever. Cover bands have the luxury of playing the more obscure songs, they do not have 20,000-100,000 people to please every night, which kind of has to be the goal for U2!

we need a heavy set next tour... a set with huge balls:

- ACROBAT
- MOFO
- WIRE
- HMTMKMKM
- BTBS
- THE FLY
- UTEOTW
- GOD PART 2
- DGPFYCC
- EXIT
- GONE
- SBS
- NLOTH (new)

running to stand still, stay(acoustic), desire(full band) and in a little while!
Dream on jacobus i doubt they will ever do god part 2, dgpfycc, and wire again!
but i hope u2 proove me wrong!:wink:

Re: Re: Diversity of songs on next tour

Axver said:

As for the next tour, U2 have set a pattern the last couple of tours for reviving old songs and I hope it will continue. Elevation brought back songs like OOC, 11OTT, and The Fly. Vertigo brought back even more - The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Zoo Station, Miss Sarajevo, etc. Next tour, I'm certainly hoping for a few more surprises.

Maybe after the resurrection of Boy songs, Gloria and 40 (and AB lovin') on the last tour, they will now play more (if the new album is as innovative as they promise) Zooropa and Pop songs.

I think the band really enjoyed bringing out the goodies from the past on the last two tours and will continue to do that.

well i was going to say, it depends entirely upon the mood/feel of the new album... but they'll need some rock in the setlist, and if there's none on the album, fucking WIRE :rockon:

Re: Re: Re: Diversity of songs on next tour

U2girl said:
I think the band really enjoyed bringing out the goodies from the past on the last two tours and will continue to do that.

I would agree with this. The band seem to have been pretty excited to play songs like Out Of Control, Miss Sarajevo, and The Electric Co. Just look at how much fun Edge very evidently had during The Electric Co.'s performances! So I think there will be more to come as they mine other stuff and show it off.

Eazy-V said:
well i was going to say, it depends entirely upon the mood/feel of the new album... but they'll need some rock in the setlist, and if there's none on the album, fucking WIRE :rockon:

Dirty Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :bow:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Diversity of songs on next tour

Axver said:

I would agree with this. The band seem to have been pretty excited to play songs like Out Of Control, Miss Sarajevo, and The Electric Co. Just look at how much fun Edge very evidently had during The Electric Co.'s performances! So I think there will be more to come as they mine other stuff and show it off.

Yes, and Bono said somewhere (can't remember where now) that he loves singing those old Boy and other early songs now, since he hated how he sounds on the records and wouldn't listen to them anymore, but now they are really fun to sing again.

Back
Top Bottom