Did I miss the "I really hate this album" thread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
safe_image.php

I was listening to U2 looong before they paid me to listen. I just liked the way it feeeeeeeels

Reach and EBW are instant classics. Reach is maybe their best song of the 2000s, up there with Kite and EBW. Those are easily my top 3.
I wish Reach would've been earlier in the album, it would be a really cool opener.
In fact, I'll go as far to say that Reach could end up in my top 10 U2 songs when the tour fires up, hard to judge until live performances.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This album is definitely a grower. I was really disappointed the first time and thought a lot of the songs on the first half sounded the same. But once I listened to it a couple more times, I started to get to know the songs better and really like it now. I burned a disc and had it in my car's CD player for about a month. My car has an apple cider scented air freshener, so now I associate that smell with SOI; I get in the car, smell cinnamon, and immediately have the urge to listen to "Raised by Wolves," which sounds great in the car and smells nice, too. ;)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

But I agree with Digitize. Not a lot of magic here, nothing gives me the heart-in-throat feeling that the best U2 music does. It's competent. In some ways more competent than NLOTH. But there are 4-5 songs on NLOTH I love, whereas I think the count stands at 0 for SOI. It makes me really sad.

Exactly.

:sad:

I think you are missing out on the best stretch of songs on the the whole album (songs 8 thru 11)

I agree that songs 8 and 11 are great.

But... I just can't get into SLABT and TIWYWRMW (that's the acronym, right?). I know that they're the most unconventional and Danger Mouse-y and whatever, but they also fail to really interest me as songs.

And don't use the "No wonder they gave it away for free" line, it's very lazy and it really weakens any point you are trying to make. By that logic, every album ever released that cost money was good and that is just ridiculous.
I have to agree that that sounded like a cheap shot. What I meant, though, was that I could well imagine the boys finishing it up, giving it a listen, and realizing it wasn't going to sell as well as a new U2 album should. By giving it away, they could avoid any comparisons on that score.

I was also just saying that I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it to listen to it. I have no problem with the PR move of giving it away the way they did. I thought it was a good idea. I still do.

I'm never mean for the sake of spite. I'm just terribly disappointed. The mixing is horrible - the tracks sound muddied as hell. It's quite possible the lyrics are good - I will have to go look them up because I couldn't hear half of them. (This is coming from a person who deciphered faint words and Bongolese on many other U2 songs.) Bono's voice is just overwhelmed by the layering.

I totally agree with with digitize - Every Breaking Wave sounds way way better in the bootleg versions from the 360 tour. I can't really comment on the other tracks because I had a hard time telling them apart.

This album reminds me of HTDAAB in a lot of ways, it's just not as good. NLOTH was fantastic - real U2 comfort food with diverse tracks that each had their own sound. I'm guessing the boys got stung by the disappointing sales and backtracked musically. The problem lies, I suppose, in that even though they still have rock 'n roll instruments, they don't have that vibe anymore. They're a pop band now.

I browsed back a few pages, didn't see one. I am wondering if I somehow got a joke copy of SOI, because I don't hear one original or even interesting tune on SOI. What gives? This will be the first U2 album I will not have in my collection in over 30 years of being a fan. No wonder they gave it away for free. Damn. :(
Not even Sleep Like A Baby, Troubles, Iris, Raised By Wolves, Crystal Ballroom?

Everyone has different tastes no doubt, but those are some great and interesting tunes.

Every Breaking Wave is classic epic U2, imo.

Maybe the live scenario may convince you. I'd also recommend listening to it with headphones, brings so much more out of the songs.

EBW on the album reminds me of the godawful RedOne version of North Star.

I have to agree that that sounded like a cheap shot. What I meant, though, was that I could well imagine the boys finishing it up, giving it a listen, and realizing it wasn't going to sell as well as a new U2 album should. By giving it away, they could avoid any comparisons on that score.

I was also just saying that I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it to listen to it. I have no problem with the PR move of giving it away the way they did. I thought it was a good idea. I still do.

I'm never mean for the sake of spite. I'm just terribly disappointed. The mixing is horrible - the tracks sound muddied as hell. It's quite possible the lyrics are good - I will have to go look them up because I couldn't hear half of them. (This is coming from a person who deciphered faint words and Bongolese on many other U2 songs.) Bono's voice is just overwhelmed by the layering.

I totally agree with with digitize - Every Breaking Wave sounds way way better in the bootleg versions from the 360 tour. I can't really comment on the other tracks because I had a hard time telling them apart.

This album reminds me of HTDAAB in a lot of ways, it's just not as good. NLOTH was fantastic - real U2 comfort food with diverse tracks that each had their own sound. I'm guessing the boys got stung by the disappointing sales and backtracked musically. The problem lies, I suppose, in that even though they still have rock 'n roll instruments, they don't have that vibe anymore. They're a pop band now.

What I hear you saying is that you might enjoy SOI more if Lanois/Eno/Flood and Lillywhite had produced it? Hey I get it, with this group of producers, U2 have produced most of their finest work.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those with negative ones are most apt to share with everyone in their world ( I still think all the "belly aching" about the release was a relatively small minority of people, but a very vocal and tech savvy minority, that feel obligated and justified to share their "valuable" opinions in a digital world).

I wont comment on the OP's opinion of the album, other than that's too bad you don't like it, and to each his own as we all know appreciation of any art is subjective.

Glad you felt you had to unload your feelings in this U2 fansite forum, however. We are all the more enlightened, now that we know how you feel. Maybe you can convert those who like the album to start hating it- would that represent success for you and justification for starting this thread? Is social media not blasting U2 enough for you? I just have a general curiosity about peoples motivation the share their negative thoughts so freely....

My initial thoughts upon reading the thread title was laughing at the thought of the hater/viralness (is that a word?) of the digital world, picking up on this sound-bite of a thread title, and running with headlines like "Even U2 fan sites HATE SOI"...."U2 fan sites rebelling against SOI"....and so forth.

I hope I am wrong about that because it just makes people look silly and ill-informed but I would not be surprised.

Well, people have been "hating" stuff forever, except in the old days, they just took to writing stuff down and mailing it in. Just ask Roger Maris and Hank Aaron about that. Or check any Letters to the Editor section of a newspaper. Perhaps hating stuff is therapeutic for the individual spewing it. Gets all of the bad mojo out of their system. If I truly hated something or someone, I wouldn't dignify it by expanding on it. I would just be indifferent to it. I've never hated anything U2 has done. I've just liked it less.

I can see how some previous fans might hate this album. I have a like/dislike relationship with it myself, no really strong emotions either way. I want to love it, but I simply don't. Sometimes I think it borders on "cheese rock". Like dad rock, but with cheesy undertones. Then other times I can chill and enjoy it for what it is. But the cheese is always lurking nearby.

And for god's sake Bono, turn yourself down man!! I'd like to be able to crank the drums and guitar up a bit without having your vocals burn holes in my ear drums! He really needs to go back about 20 years and listen to how his vocals used to be mixed on their albums. More in line with the instruments. I mean bloody hell, I know Bono likes the sound of his own voice, but let the music breathe a bit man!! It started with Pop and just continues to get louder in the mix.... driving me mad...

And Edge, get back in the driver's seat where you belong!! The best U2 songs have Edge in command. What is up with these studio bells and whistles that are louder than the guitar at times on the album? Get rid of that shit!!

I guess what I hate about the production will be mostly alleviated when they play them live (and as evidenced by the promo tour stuff).

Just another album where the live versions will crush the studio versions. I guess that has been the norm since about the mid 90's. They have always been better live, but the gap is widening imo. Mostly due to production issues.

I do think "Iris" is a bloody gem though. But my bet is we won't be hearing that one live. sigh.

I can see how some previous fans might hate this album. I have a like/dislike relationship with it myself, no really strong emotions either way. I want to love it, but I simply don't. Sometimes I think it borders on "cheese rock". Like dad rock, but with cheesy undertones. Then other times I can chill and enjoy it for what it is. But the cheese is always lurking nearby.

And for god's sake Bono, turn yourself down man!! I'd like to be able to crank the drums and guitar up a bit without having your vocals burn holes in my ear drums! He really needs to go back about 20 years and listen to how his vocals used to be mixed on their albums. More in line with the instruments. I mean bloody hell, I know Bono likes the sound of his own voice, but let the music breathe a bit man!! It started with Pop and just continues to get louder in the mix.... driving me mad...

And Edge, get back in the driver's seat where you belong!! The best U2 songs have Edge in command. What is up with these studio bells and whistles that are louder than the guitar at times on the album? Get rid of that shit!!

I guess what I hate about the production will be mostly alleviated when they play them live (and as evidenced by the promo tour stuff).

Just another album where the live versions will crush the studio versions. I guess that has been the norm since about the mid 90's. They have always been better live, but the gap is widening imo. Mostly due to production issues.

I do think "Iris" is a bloody gem though. But my bet is we won't be hearing that one live. sigh.

The only song that I think really veers into cheese rock is The Miracle, although one could make a case for Volcano too. I do agree that the radio slickness applied to some of these songs (most egregious, IMO, is on Every Breaking Wave) can be a turn-off (to me at least). Still really love most of the album though and I have applied "adjustments" to some parts to give me a more perfect album. ;)

I don't understand how anyone can find this album cheesy or lacking of anything original yet not find these things on their previous 3 albums. This album I still find to be their best since Zooropa, possibly tied with Pop...

I thought it was part of the I really hate old people, children, dogs and SOI thread.

If it weren't for Iris and California I would have no hope for their next album.

I don't understand how anyone can find this album cheesy or lacking of anything original yet not find these things on their previous 3 albums. This album I still find to be their best since Zooropa, possibly tied with Pop...

Yeah really. I don't understand the complaints at all. This is the first album since Pop where even if I try really hard to nitpick, I cannot find much to complain about. The lyrics are very good. Some of the songs like SLABT, Reach Me Now, Troubles and even California are quite different-sounding for U2. Even Miracle is different from U2's typical sound.

This album has certainly been a grower but it is very consistent throughout. NLOTH on the other hand had highs that were arguably greater than anything on SOI but the middle 3 or 4 really dragged that album down. HTDAAB was also very consistent throughout, but it was also boring throughout. :| ATYCLB was somewhat similar to NLOTH. Some great highs but some lows as well. Anyway, that's my take on it.

I still think the CD liner notes for SOI are the worst ever in their career! Does nobody agree with me on that?

I don't understand how anyone can find this album cheesy or lacking of anything original yet not find these things on their previous 3 albums.

Well, sure. There's cheese on many U2 albums. It's the lack of instant classics that I think are turning naysayers off. The Troubles and maybe EBW could qualify. Many people described NLOTH as grey (like its cover), but that's how I hear SOI, personally. Just a lot of OK stuff that sounds like U2 without sounding much like a rock band.

What confuses me are the people who claim to hear anything bold or innovative here. Has it gotten that bad? Sleep Like a Baby is kind of different, I guess. The simple fact that it isn't big, dumb and overstuffed is interesting to me.

Last edited:
Well, sure. There's cheese on many U2 albums. It's the lack of instant classics that I think are turning naysayers off. The Troubles and maybe EBW could qualify. Many people described NLOTH as grey (like its cover), but that's how I hear SOI, personally. Just a lot of OK stuff that sounds like U2 without sounding much like a rock band.

What confuses me are the people who claim to hear anything bold or innovative here. Has it gotten that bad? Sleep Like a Baby is kind of different, I guess. The simple fact that it isn't big, dumb and overstuffed is interesting to me.

I'll be honest, and say you of most people I find it perplexing that you don't see Sleep, Troubles, Wolves, EBW, and Reach as some of their best work in the 2000s. The only reason this album maybe ties with Pop is that Pop has Miami and Playboy Mansion which I always skip now, there is not one song I skip now, but if there was in the future it might me California.

Back
Top Bottom