Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[Actually I'm deleting this, old DI shit that's too personal. Time to put down the wine. Quarantine, eh?]

Is there room for one more? I wasn't sure I had enough of an idea for a list this time around, but I started putting some things together and experimenting and I think I'll be able to put something satisfactory together.

i'm going to back out of participating - i don't have the desire or energy to put nearly as much thought into this as the rest of you are, and i don't want to half-ass it relative to everyone else and waste people's time, or take up a spot that could be used by someone who's more enthusiastic.

i'll still be watching along though, have fun everyone.

I think I'm done with my list, and pretty happy with it. Will have a final play through this weekend to make sure. It's at 110 min, a bit too long for my tastes but there is nothing I want to cut.

Is there room for one more? I wasn't sure I had enough of an idea for a list this time around, but I started putting some things together and experimenting and I think I'll be able to put something satisfactory together.

i'm going to back out of participating - i don't have the desire or energy to put nearly as much thought into this as the rest of you are, and i don't want to half-ass it relative to everyone else and waste people's time, or take up a spot that could be used by someone who's more enthusiastic.

i'll still be watching along though, have fun everyone.

Really sorry to see you go, Dave, but happy to have namkcuR on board. We had a full 15 participants for a second there!

1. LemonMelon
2. bono_212
3. gump
4. lazarus
5. cobl04
6. iron yuppie
7. Joey788
8. GirlsAloudFan
9. LJT
10. Jerry Dunk
11. the tourist
12. Axver
13. LuckyNumber7
14. namckuR

I really want Dave in this thing cause Dave gives me the confidence I want for somethin like this in this environment.

Chin up, you’ve got work to do davey boy.

I’m nearly done with my list. Will probably add one or two more songs, which makes it longer than I expected. But I don’t want to cut anything.

I think the lack of DI recently and the uncertainty of a future iteration has me packing lots into this one.

I really want Dave in this thing cause Dave gives me the confidence I want for somethin like this in this environment.

I'm really disappointed to see Dave back out because he's not exactly a regular and I was curious to see what he would come up with.

I’m nearly done with my list. Will probably add one or two more songs, which makes it longer than I expected. But I don’t want to cut anything.

I think the lack of DI recently and the uncertainty of a future iteration has me packing lots into this one.
I always pack the list out as far as it can go, but this time around I'm even more bullish about it because we may never do this again. Or we could do it again in a couple years. Who knows? Either way, I just want to get a lot of great, relatively unknown music out there for you guys to enjoy. There are so many fantastic artists I've gotten into since DI 10 and many of them will be displayed.

Honestly, I have zero interest in winning this time (this has not always been the case), only creating something that represents where I'm at in this highly uncertain, frightening time. Listening back to my list, it does that extremely well.

Last edited:
I'm really disappointed to see Dave back out because he's not exactly a regular and I was curious to see what he would come up with.

I always pack the list out as far as it can go, but this time around I'm even more bullish about it because we may never do this again. Or we could do it again in a couple years. Who knows? Either way, I just want to get a lot of great, relatively unknown music out there for you guys to enjoy. There are so many fantastic artists I've gotten into since DI 10 and many of them will be displayed.

Honestly, I have zero interest in winning this time (this has not always been the case), only creating something that represents where I'm at in this highly uncertain, frightening time. Listening back to my list, it does that extremely well.

I hope we keep doing desert island. The mere mention of it drew me back to posting in more than just in the baseball and Survivor threads and almost exclusively lurking otherwise. Ha!

A bit off topic, but are you still recording music?

I hope we keep doing desert island. The mere mention of it drew me back to posting in more than just in the baseball and Survivor threads and almost exclusively lurking otherwise. Ha!

A bit off topic, but are you still recording music?
If the demand is there, we'll know it and try to organize something slightly more regularly. Clearly the regulars are still hanging around and waiting for a reason to get involved.

To answer your question, I'm starting a new musical project called Arid Wash that's inspired by folk rock and singer/songwriters like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Gene Clark, Bill Fay, etc. A little heavier than that though. Specifically, I wanted to capture a sound inspired by the electric half of Dylan's classic 1966 Royal Albert Hall performance. Might end up in Andrew Jackson Jihad or Meat Puppets territory by the end.

I was having a difficult time writing songs on guitar that felt fresh so I got my Casio WK-3200 out and am creating songs with the grand piano and organ settings.

it's frankly a little intimidating that several of you guys have literally put years of thought into this. like, i can put together a playlist for a fun thing but i'm not spending more than an hour or two thinking about it. it kinda feels like i'd be throwing a beer league team into a AAA tournament.

it's frankly a little intimidating that several of you guys have literally put years of thought into this. like, i can put together a playlist for a fun thing but i'm not spending more than an hour or two thinking about it. it kinda feels like i'd be throwing a beer league team into a AAA tournament.

Nah, don't feel intimidated. I literally started putting this thing together last week and it's done. I think a lot of us have playlists lying around Spotify that you can tighten up and repurpose too. Just go for it.

duuuuuude. if that's your reason for backing out, then stay in. I'm gonna do a scroll through iTunes and chuck songs I'm feeling in a big playlist and then just curate it. haven't even started. I'll spend a few hours on it, tops.

Sure, a few of us take this very seriously as a mode of expression because we really like making lists and have been doing so for a long time, but the vast majority of people who sign up are just out to have a good time.

That disparity is why it was such a huge problem that a few very vocal people who took the competition too seriously in the early days of DI were being so dismissive of others; they did not represent the majority and were stunting the growth of what should have been a very unifying experience. That's why the whole Space Moon thing went down.

If you are intimidated by the workload that a few people put in, believe me that you're going to hear a lot of stories about people winging it. And that's perfectly OK. This IS beer league, and admittedly some do take beer league a little too seriously.

Hey, I only spent about an hour on mine (not including listening). Might spend another half hour tuning it up and adding a couple more songs, but I think a lot of us didn’t just have a playlist in our back pocket. Haha!

since i made that post i've been working on a playlist and fuck yes i'm back in it and probably going to win.

sorry for being a flake, my anxiety is through the roof in weird ways since i've been put on house arrest.

Last edited:
Nah, don't feel intimidated. I literally started putting this thing together last week and it's done. I think a lot of us have playlists lying around Spotify that you can tighten up and repurpose too. Just go for it.

Yeah the bones of mine came together really fast, and now I've just been endlessly tinkering with it. The end result of all the tinkering will probably be a difference of one song, if that.

Aaaand I’m here to be someone who also has not experience in this crowd on this game of a thread.

Bottom line...

IMG_0091.JPG

since i made that post i've been working on a playlist and fuck yes i'm back in it and probably going to win.

sorry for being a flake, my anxiety is through the roof in weird ways since i've been put on house arrest.
I feel that. When our lockdown first started and I lost out on a job opportunity I was counting on, my anxiety was so bad I could barely function. It settled down with time and yours will too, even though it sucks hard when it's happening. Playlists are therapeutic af tbh

1. LemonMelon

2. bono_212

3. gump

4. lazarus

5. cobl04

6. iron yuppie

7. Joey788

8. GirlsAloudFan

9. LJT

10. Jerry Dunk

11. the tourist

12. Axver

13. LuckyNumber7

14. namkcuR

15. DaveC

How does 3 listening threads with 5 lists in each sound? And should we allow for one week of listening per group or two?

Last edited:
When I said I came up with the idea of my playlist 5 years ago, that part was true. But as I mentioned, I never actually put any songs into a list until three days ago and now the list is done.

1. LemonMelon

2. bono_212

3. gump

4. lazarus

5. cobl04

6. iron yuppie

7. Joey788

8. GirlsAloudFan

9. LJT

10. Jerry Dunk

11. the tourist

12. Axver

13. LuckyNumber7

14. namkcuR

15. DaveC

How does 3 listening threads with 5 lists in each sound? And should be allow for one week of listening per group or two?

If it's three groups of five, I say one week, but I'm always pretty much in favor of shorter duration, otherwise I feel like it goes too long and we get burned out.

This would be the itinerary for each:

One Week Threads
Lists come in April 20
Group 1 April 21-27
Group 2 April 28-May 4
Group 3 May 5-11
Reflect and turn in ballots May 12-18
Results thread May 19

Two Week Threads
Lists come in April 20
Group 1 April 21-May 4
Group 2 May 5-May 18