Desert Island VIII Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A basic, straight up mini version of regular DI is also a good idea. It certainly would be interesting to see how much more people would be involved with that.

Although I'm guessing it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Genre Island is an interesting concept, although as was said, when it came time to do rankings, I don't know how well it would work. If someone makes a jazz playlist and a listener just doesn't like that genre, it won't do well on their rankings.

Unless we put restrictions on the type of voting this time, like if each person had to vote for songs, presentation, etc.

Just thinking as I'm typing here. You could have each person vote for a playlist based on the following:

33.3% - Songs
33.3% - Sequencing, transitions, flow, etc.
33.3% - Representation of genre (or something along those lines)

People could rate each part on a scale of 1-10, and the average of all three would be the final score. Then you submit your rankings based on who has the best average score, from 1st to last.

:hmm:

Could work possibly.

That's an interesting way to break down scores. One slight issue I'd have is how would we judge "representation of genre," if people aren't familiar with the genre as a whole? For example, if a jazz list came up, I'd recognize a few names, but there'd be no way I could make a legitimate judgment on whether or not that person used a good mix of known and unknown artists/songs.

But, I actually like that type of scoring rubric for all future DIs, if we worked it out a bit. I think it would be more accurate than simple rankings.

Genre Island is an interesting concept, although as was said, when it came time to do rankings, I don't know how well it would work. If someone makes a jazz playlist and a listener just doesn't like that genre, it won't do well on their rankings.

Unless we put restrictions on the type of voting this time, like if each person had to vote for songs, presentation, etc.

Just thinking as I'm typing here. You could have each person vote for a playlist based on the following:

33.3% - Songs
33.3% - Sequencing, transitions, flow, etc.
33.3% - Representation of genre (or something along those lines)

People could rate each part on a scale of 1-10, and the average of all three would be the final score. Then you submit your rankings based on who has the best average score, from 1st to last.

:hmm:

Could work possibly.

I like it, too. Makes the scoring less subjective.

I've been doing something similar for the past 3 DIs.... Every song gets a possible 10 points. A possible 6 for my enjoyment of it, 2 for the flow at the beginning, 2 for the flow at the end. Then average it at the end.

onebloodonelife said:
I think it would be more accurate than simple rankings.

Which, with this DI, became more arbitrary than ever, I feel. Never before have I heard people voice their difficulty separating the quality of the lists to such a high degree. Since we're probably never going back to voting (this, to me, is a shame), some adjustments/additions need to be made to the current format, and I'm pretty alright with the rubric concept.

Which, with this DI, became more arbitrary than ever, I feel. Never before have I heard people voice their difficulty separating the quality of the lists to such a high degree. Since we're probably never going back to voting (this, to me, is a shame), some adjustments/additions need to be made to the current format, and I'm pretty alright with the rubric concept.

Agreed. This was the toughest DI for me to rank yet, no question about it.

Though, voting had its own issues, what with people being here or not and having polls be open to anybody on the forum, regardless of their participation in DI.

I'm happy to leave the ranking as it is, and I'd rather err towards a simpler vote than a complex vote.

A basic, straight up mini version of regular DI is also a good idea. It certainly would be interesting to see how much more people would be involved with that.

Although I'm guessing it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

I'm very keen to give it a try. I think it'll settle a lot of talking points - and could be quite fun besides!

I'm happy to leave the ranking as it is, and I'd rather err towards a simpler vote than a complex vote.

I would agree with this. When people were leaving their comments on individual lists, I was somewhat concerned with how many were emphasizing that a song, section, or entire list just wasn't "their thing"; however, when the results were revealed, it became obvious that people were voting based on far more than whether or not a particular genre appealed to them. As long as we continue to vote based on construction and execution rather than personal tastes, the voting should be fine.

If I could take a moment to voice something about that irritates me.

Have we, then, completely thrown out the original purpose of Desert Island? Is the point of the competition to now just make the most conceptualized list? Because, I still rank song selection higher than flow or concept, since I thought that was the point. Am I doing it wrong?

Have we, then, completely thrown out the original purpose of Desert Island? Is the point of the competition to now just make the most conceptualized list? Because, I still rank song selection higher than flow or concept, since I thought that was the point. Am I doing it wrong?

I could simplify my voting rationale by saying that, first and foremost, I order it by how much I like the music, then for lists that are really close, the sequencing and conceptualisation comes strongly into play. But on a deeper level, the sequencing and conceptualisation plays a role in how good the music sounds, whether it works in context and whether the whole listening experience is pleasurable. A disjointed list, no matter how good the songs are, is not going to be the ideal listening experience.

But basically I'm with you on this. And that's why I want to keep the voting simple. Everybody has their own quirks in what makes a list appeal to them and how they rank the entries, but I think it works, and it beats the shit out of the old voting system.

I could simplify my voting rationale by saying that, first and foremost, I order it by how much I like the music, then for lists that are really close, the sequencing and conceptualisation comes strongly into play. But on a deeper level, the sequencing and conceptualisation plays a role in how good the music sounds, whether it works in context and whether the whole listening experience is pleasurable. A disjointed list, no matter how good the songs are, is not going to be the ideal listening experience.

But basically I'm with you on this. And that's why I want to keep the voting simple. Everybody has their own quirks in what makes a list appeal to them and how they rank the entries, but I think it works, and it beats the shit out of the old voting system.

This would be my answer as well. Obviously if songs on a playlist don't do anything for you, there's only so much you'll like it, even if it's been constructed impeccably. But when you have playlists that are so evenly matched, you tend to look at other factors to try and separate them in terms of which one would get your vote.

My previous point was in regards to a Genre Island competition only, because if I did a playlist full of current female pop stars, I certainly wouldn't get a good grade from someone like Axver based on songs alone, but perhaps it would be ranked a little higher if he at least liked how it was put together.

But I agree that it might become quite the tedious process trying to rank in that way, so I'm leaning more towards a straight mini-DI competition.

Axver had Headless Chickens' "Cruise Control" - wow!!! That's a winner right there! Great song

You familiar with much of their other material?

I think the best thing they ever did was before they were the Headless Chickens, when they were a post-punk band called Children's Hour who released a five-track EP beginning with this incredible song called Caroline's Dream. Cruise Control, Mr Moon, Railway Surfing, George, Inside Track, etc. may have all been great songs by the Chooks, but if you ask me, they never did find anything quite as visceral and amazing as Caroline's Dream again ...

Well, I've got my Mini Island list almost ready. Let me know when we're gonna do that thing.

i'm assuming a mini island is a DI list half the length as a normal one?

Yep, 80:00 and not a second more.

I've thrown together a bit of a list already too. It needs more work, but on the whole I think it's promising.

yeah, cruise control is a great song. i've heard one other of theirs, can't remember the name though, just the video. :hmm:

Probably George or Gaskrankinstation. George went #1 in New Zealand back in the day, the only #1 in the history of Flying Nun Records.

Some people are zealous! I'd imagine this won't happen til May or June. And I'll probably be a last-minute entry this time. Heh.

I was moving my old DIs over to my iPod the other day and felt like I was getting into playlist mode again, so I'm definitely in.

What dates and/or format are you considering? I would like to participate, but I have an extremely hectic July and August approaching.

Unless anyone objects, I think for this one we were going to do a straight mini version of regular DI.

The July/August timeframe was what I was looking at, although based on past tournaments, we take a while to get through everything, so who knows how long it will go.

Back
Top Bottom