Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so far behind at this point that I'm just listening to lists that appear interesting or absolutely impossible to judge because of how few tracks I know on it. That is, I'll probably listen to Khan's list, but not Ian's. :wink:

Sooo...Cassie is up next, although my dilettante listening habits have caused me to have heard seven of these tracks before. :lol:

Out of curiosity, which seven?

Nas (anything from Illmatic is a winner)
N.W.A.
The Roots
Reflection Eternal (TALIIIIB!)
Black Star (TALIB AND MOS!!!)
Lauryn Hill (been a long time since I've heard Miseducation, should be interesting)
Madvillain (great pick from Madvillainy)

Haven't started yet, but I intend to tonight. Incidentally, I had planned to listen to a Gang Starr album today (RIP Guru), not knowing how much of a hip hop overload tonight would be. :lol: It's all good.

This list is amazing. So much fun, and it would be far easier for me to just list the songs that haven't blown me away than those that have. Is it homogeneous? Yes. Are there a few transitions that should have been switched around to make it flow a little better? Perhaps. But I'm 12 songs in, and I'm thinking you should be very proud of this list.

Well, that was a bit of a slog near the end, but I feel enlightened now. Also, that Tribe song reminds me of Soul Food by Goodie Mob, which I intend to use on a DI list eventually. How can black people make songs about food and have it kick so much ass? :lol:

The songs were all awesome. I did feel, however, that you cheated a bit. Two HBE songs in a row? A D'Angelo song followed by a song with a prominent D'Angelo sample? These transitions are creative, but they take away from the legitimacy of the project, you know? You have all of these great obscure artists here, and we like to assume that you know dozens more. :wink: As far as flow goes, I feel it was a success, but I don't think it's perfect. Some songs I felt could work better elsewhere. Won't give any examples now, as it's not terribly relevant; you totally get an A for Africa anyway. :up:

This list is amazing. So much fun, and it would be far easier for me to just list the songs that haven't blown me away than those that have. Is it homogeneous? Yes. Are there a few transitions that should have been switched around to make it flow a little better? Perhaps. But I'm 12 songs in, and I'm thinking you should be very proud of this list.

Well, that was a bit of a slog near the end, but I feel enlightened now. Also, that Tribe song reminds me of Soul Food by Goodie Mob, which I intend to use on a DI list eventually. How can black people make songs about food and have it kick so much ass? :lol:

The songs were all awesome. I did feel, however, that you cheated a bit. Two HBE songs in a row? A D'Angelo song followed by a song with a prominent D'Angelo sample? These transitions are creative, but they take away from the legitimacy of the project, you know? You have all of these great obscure artists here, and we like to assume that you know dozens more. :wink: As far as flow goes, I feel it was a success, but I don't think it's perfect. Some songs I felt could work better elsewhere. Won't give any examples now, as it's not terribly relevant; you totally get an A for Africa anyway. :up:

The first half's definitely stronger than the second, I think. "Ham 'N Eggs" is fantastic; the fact that I'm veggie cracks me up during the song even more, especially when the script flips and one of them answers, "Yes." The homogeneity is one of those things...I had to sacrifice massive diversity for the theme of the list, more or less.

As for the "cheating," I was waiting for somebody to call me out on the HBE stuff. Also, Mos Def appears on three of four straight tracks at the end there. And, those points I will take; the D'Angelo/K'naan stuff perhaps needs a bit more explanation, but you are welcome to think it's still cheating. The D'Angelo bit comes at about the halfway point, so if I were one who liked to break down my lists into portions, it would've been there, right in between the two songs. It was meant as a two-song midway/central point (where the aesthetic explanation below is crystallized into one flash point, essentially). Plus, if you loop the playlist around, the K'naan/Koola Lobitos songs would do the exact same thing. This, of course, was done purposely in order to showcase one of hip-hop's main aesthetic characteristics, sampling and re-utilization of previous music, along with the cyclical nature of African music, generally. So, for me, it doesn't take away from the legitimacy of the project...perhaps in DI land it does, but in terms of African-influenced musics, that is its validity. That was my theoretical reasoning for it, at least. Whether or not it came off that way is another story, but there you have it.

And, I'm not going to lie, a lot of the intertextual stuff is more for me...inside joke type stuff, I guess, like in the Fashawn song, he raps, "You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge," which is an infamous N.W.A. line (not from "Express Yourself," obviously, but from Straight Outta Compton), or the Talib sample from "Definition" being the hook for the Fashawn song.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, Travis! They're always much appreciated, and the fact that you think the flow was good is a huge complement in and of itself, coming from a master such as yourself. Most of all though, I'm really glad you enjoyed the list.

OK, yeah, I assumed there was more to it. The point about sampling is a good one; it also makes the list's homogeneity more justifiable. You could put the list on a loop and not notice the break.

Is it wrong that Express Yourself cracks me up? It's so sweet, yet it's N.W.A. :lol: I hesitate to call it a sellout move though; they seem to be aware that they're dialing it back and take advantage of that spotlight to deliver an honest to God message. It's really good, but I'm just not used to it.

Yeah, but at the same time, just because I have reasons for it doesn't mean it has to be liked. I totally understand if somebody's not into the lack of variety and such; it's personal preference.

Ha! That's pretty much exactly why I picked it. The song's so...not N.W.A. I figured it'd mess with people's perceptions of the group (and gangsta rap at large) a bit. Also, for how much I rag on Dre's rapping abilities, I find it slightly hilarious that I ended up choosing his only solo track on the album.

Is it wrong that Express Yourself cracks me up? It's so sweet, yet it's N.W.A. :lol: ... It's really good, but I'm just not used to it.

yeah! when i heard it i had a wtf moment, given i'm more used to NWA tracks which begin with bitches getting murdered :wink:

halfway thru joey's list... i have enjoyed it. i thought Opeth was a death metal band, so the fact that i really enjoyed that song was surprising. the sequence from there to Interpol was great, worked very well, not to mention Don't Panic is my favourite Coldplay song.

Hey thanks, Phanan and Danny. Glad you guys liked it.

I'm gonna listen to Cassie's next, which I'm REALLY looking forward to. Looks great. Listened to most of Danny's in an unnecessarily long car trip around midnight last night and have been diggin it a lot. Only got a few songs left from the last section, which I assume will be the most hated, but I'm pretty fond of most of these songs (also love your sig and avatar) so yarr, I be hitting it.

thoughts on joey's list:
i enjoyed the second half more than the first. (when did Muse turn into a boy band? :huh:) and my ears didn't deceive me, i knew i could hear Wayne Coyne in the twelth track there. wasn't into the first four songs of disc 2 (i think Stadium Arcadium is one of the worst albums of last decade) but from Opeth to YYYs it was fantastic. i'm also very :D to say that i found yet another Arcade Fire track that i didn't like.

now for all you Interpolers out there -- i have Antics, which i think is pretty good, but how about Turn on the Bright Lights, is that worth a download/purchase?

thoughts on tracks 1-14 from een's list, with more thoughts on tracks 15 onwards to come tomorrow or thursday:

it's been a pretty good collection of songs. Being Born is in my top few of U2 in the noughties. i had never heard Badlands before, so i was pretty impressed with myself when i guessed it was a Springsteen song within two seconds of it coming on. i also thought Badlands > Listed Buildings worked great, for some reason. terrific song. didn't care for Australia, Auckland CBD or Lost Coastlines. Bloodbuzz Ohio was pretty good i thought (i wish i'd known you could include songs from albums yet to be released though).

Listening to Ian's playlist...

Great 1-2 start with Shuttlecock and Interpol. Not sure if I liked the placement of Four Winds right after though.

And let this be Exhibit 4,367 that Darkness On The Edge Of Town needs a remaster in the worst way. Badlands sounded awful amongst these other songs (although the song itself is available in remastered form on Greatest Hits and Essential and would have stood out a bit better here if used from one of those sources).

Meant to make additional comments previously.

Fleet Foxes -> Grizzly Bear is an obvious pairing, but great nonetheless. Not sure about LCD right after.

After that, wow. What a stretch all the way to Massive Attack. All great songs, all put together very well. The only song I was unfamiliar with was the one from Lawrence Arabia, but I enjoyed it.

Never wrapped up my comments before.

The last part was good, although not quite as strong for me. For every great song (Elbow, Doves, etc.) there were ones that were below par (Pavement, Wilco, etc.). But you did end it with a Bowie song that I've always really liked (no small feat there), and Bends-era Radiohead is always a winner in my book.

Well done all around, Ian. I think the songs chosen went well together - there weren't too many spots that I could find where I felt the arrangement was off, and if you know me at all and how I grade these things, that's definitely a big positive. It doesn't hurt that the songs themselves were excellent as well. I predict that your playlist will rate very high come results time.

well i'm done with een's list.

great stuff. felt a bit strange to a hear a Massive Attack song in DI7 that wasn't Teardrop. liked nearly every song. didn't appreciate the fact that it was pissing down rain outside as It's Summertime played. i like Air France (i have GBG Belongs to Us). Eno>U2 worked great. Winter Hill was the first Doves song this tournament i've really enjoyed.

i was planning on using Memory of a Free Festival as a closer should i decided to enter DI again; you stole my idea.

it's a real shame that the song bombed upon release, it's a real gem that very few would even know exists.

i'm done with Khan's list now, and group three.

i enjoyed your list on and off, Khan. plenty of great songs in there, some mediocre ones as well. Jungleland had me speeding and singing with the window down as i drove home, what a song. and i picked the Liam Finn song straight away, even though i didn't know it :D

anyone else think Paul McCartney > Floyd worked brilliantly?

They are, but they do have some material that veers more into progressive rock territory.

:up: it's certainly not going to make me listen to them though :wink:

i'm done with Khan's list now, and group three.

i enjoyed your list on and off, Khan. plenty of great songs in there, some mediocre ones as well. Jungleland had me speeding and singing with the window down as i drove home, what a song. and i picked the Liam Finn song straight away, even though i didn't know it :D

anyone else think Paul McCartney > Floyd worked brilliantly?
thanks, glad you liked it. :)

I already have listened to 5 songs, Joey. I am sorry to say this but I have really disliked everything I have heard so far. NIN is either hit or miss for me and the song annoyed the crap out of me. The dark and very moody, almost depressing sound of this playlist, depresses me but also puts me to sleep. Now I like depressing music, sad folk ballads and other things. But the Beck track and Thom Yorke bored me. I like some Beck and I am crazy about Radiohead but weak songs choices for me. I'm sorry. :shrug:

But Joey, I thought the flow has been great so far and it fits well within the theme. I listened to more. "Knights" and "Bulletproof" are good songs. The only thing I have liked so far but it isn't enough to say I am a fan of your playlist yet either.

More listening, Joey. I hated the Deerhunter song. I loved the Muse and Danger Mouse song. The Rage was good too. Not too sure what to think of the Crocodiles song. Good last bit but not that very impressed so far because there are more songs I dislike strongly than ones I like.

Never wrapped up my comments before.

The last part was good, although not quite as strong for me. For every great song (Elbow, Doves, etc.) there were ones that were below par (Pavement, Wilco, etc.). But you did end it with a Bowie song that I've always really liked (no small feat there), and Bends-era Radiohead is always a winner in my book.

Well done all around, Ian. I think the songs chosen went well together - there weren't too many spots that I could find where I felt the arrangement was off, and if you know me at all and how I grade these things, that's definitely a big positive. It doesn't hurt that the songs themselves were excellent as well. I predict that your playlist will rate very high come results time.

well i'm done with een's list.

great stuff. felt a bit strange to a hear a Massive Attack song in DI7 that wasn't Teardrop. liked nearly every song. didn't appreciate the fact that it was pissing down rain outside as It's Summertime played. i like Air France (i have GBG Belongs to Us). Eno>U2 worked great. Winter Hill was the first Doves song this tournament i've really enjoyed.

i was planning on using Memory of a Free Festival as a closer should i decided to enter DI again; you stole my idea.

it's a real shame that the song bombed upon release, it's a real gem that very few would even know exists.

thanks guys! glad it went down well.

danny - steal the idea back off me! desert island is just a thievery contest anyway! :wink:

Alright, Joey, I listened to Part B. I really enjoy this part compared to Part A. Some of the standout songs for me were: "Torture Me," "Dumb," "The Book of Love," "My Body is a Cage," "St. Vincent," and "Don't Panic." "Nude" and "Bad" were nice too. But some songs put a very bad taste in my mouth, "NYC" and "Windowpane." I have heard many songs from Interpol trying to become a fan of theirs but it hasn't happened yet. "Windowpane" was just bizzare to me. And I prefer old Alice in Chains over contemporay.

So overall, I liked Part B. to Part A. I was crazy about a lot of songs from your playlist but I disliked many songs on your playlist too. I can see many people digging this type of music you put on your playlist. But I am sorry, there were too many songs I didn't like to properly enjoy this playlist the way I really wanted to.

Starting on KhanadaRhodes's playlist now. I am loving it so far. I have been a Steve Miller Band and Journey fan for quite a long time. Great choices so far. Everybody has been including Velvet Underground songs on their playlist and I have been crazy about everything I have heard so far from them. :) So "Heroin" scores too. :up:

Alright, I am up to song 17. I thought some song were really great and some songs were average. "Gather to the Chapel, "Elegantly Wasted," "Rocket Man" and "Knock Me Down" stood out for me. But the New Order, Rolling Stones, and Fleetwood Mac songs you choose were not the stellar tracks they have done in their careers, I believe. But it flows very well. :)

Back
Top Bottom