Desert Island IX: Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love to do a list in a similar vein as the one I did here, but I'm all up for a 2-hour limit.

Pahana, your list was not bad. Sorry I didn't have time to comment earlier but I was the one who asked ElMel last minute to push you up the rankings. You owe your victory to me! :wink: Being the 80s dude that you are, it shone thru on those first few tracks. That first track was excellent, man! Where do you find this stuff? It sounded so typically 80s but yet I had never heard of the song or the band before! Enjoyed parts of your list and liked the second half more I think. Good job! :up:

The most hilarious thing (to me) in this whole competition was Laz's list and how my own list featured right underneath his in the original thread! Oh, the irony.

Welcome to the Boomtown was a modest hit and still gets (infrequent) radio play on a few stations around these parts.

I'd recommend you the whole album if you enjoyed that one, though I'd say the rest wasn't quite as good. It would be hard for it to be, though :wink:

Oh it was a hit? Funny I never even heard of it or the band.

This Mr. V still hasn't shown up and seen the results thread! :lol:

I'd be up for a mini DI if we can choose our own theme.

Welcome to the Boomtown was a modest hit and still gets (infrequent) radio play on a few stations around these parts.

I'd recommend you the whole album if you enjoyed that one, though I'd say the rest wasn't quite as good. It would be hard for it to be, though :wink:

I dig the whole album, although I'd say the first two tracks are definitely a cut above the rest.

Last night I went outside to let the dogs use the restroom and the moon was just crazy bright and so were the stars. I ended up bringing the dogs inside, grabbed my headphones and your playlist was the first thing I saw, so I started playing it while I did some stargazing. That was...an amazing life experience. And now I like "Welcome to the Boomtown" about 500x more than I already did.

Since I'm new to this whole Desert Island thing, I want to ask you guys... have you ever tried setting criteria (even if they're loose criteria) to judge/rank a playlist by? For example: Iron yuppie said he doesn't judge based on how many great songs there are but more on the overall cohesiveness and theme. Whereas I judged primarily on how many enjoyable songs there were and how good the flow was. I also divided the number of songs I enjoyed by the total number of songs on the playlist and used that percentage to evaluate the whole playlist. Of course, the downside there is... participants with shorter playlists may have an advantage. Such variation in criteria is bound to make the results a bit weird. Can't we set certain simple criteria??

The only criteria I care about is whether or not the playlist is something I'm going to actually listen to if I'm trapped on a Desert Island. I hate to repeat that so often, but I think that's the only thing that's really important to me. Adding in math and rules takes away from the generally free-spirited nature that this competition should hold.

There are many playlists that I enjoy, but I know that outside of this one listening, I'm probably never going to spin again. So, even when I might praise that list to high heaven, I'm likely not going to rank it highly.

At the same time, someone else may think that because that list had flow, and was generally great sounding together, that that's their particular favorite list.

Last night I went outside to let the dogs use the restroom and the moon was just crazy bright and so were the stars. I ended up bringing the dogs inside, grabbed my headphones and your playlist was the first thing I saw, so I started playing it while I did some stargazing. That was...an amazing life experience. And now I like "Welcome to the Boomtown" about 500x more than I already did.

:up:

The only criteria I care about is whether or not the playlist is something I'm going to actually listen to if I'm trapped on a Desert Island. I hate to repeat that so often, but I think that's the only thing that's really important to me. Adding in math and rules takes away from the generally free-spirited nature that this competition should hold.

So then, when there are like 10 of those, how do you differentiate and rank them? Especially if they "feel" close. In the past I haven't used math and then I wind up later realizing I ranked something wrong - especially when it was in an early group and it's been a long time since I heard the list. That's why I use the math that I use. It's also how your list wound up like one one-thousandth of a percentage point ahead of your other half's. :wink:

This had to have come from somewhere:

11168526_800.jpg

In honor of Zoots' low key return to Interference, we should have an uncool music mini DI.

Back
Top Bottom