Uncool Music Appreciation ~ Episode 4 ~ Def Leppard Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Welcome to the UMAs where we celebrate artists and bands that are generally completely hated and reviled by the cool kids of this forum. Here you will find all those artists that you have been advised over and over not to like by the ones with impeccable taste in music. So don't look for B&C favorites like Radiohead, Arcade Fire or Sigur Ros in here. In fact, indie music is banned in this thread. The more mainstream an artist is, more is the chance you will find them featured in this series. Now let's go ahead and celebrate extremely popular mainstream music with the UMAs!

Okay, for this episode the band in the spotlight is Def Leppard, English rock band from Sheffield, who formed in 1977 as part of the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) movement. They have sold over 65 million albums worldwide and are ranked #31 on VH1's "Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.

def-leppard-band.jpg

Def_Leppard.jpg

deflep.jpg

bands_defleppard.jpg
;)

They started out with debut album On Through The Night in 1980 and one could hear elements of Judas Priest in their music, especially in songs like Wasted. But here's my favorite from that album...

YouTube - Def Leppard - Rock Brigade

:drool:

Then came High 'N' Dry...

YouTube - Def Leppard - Bringin' On The Heartbreak

I still love that song so much... maybe my all-time favorite ballad of theirs! I tried to look for a video of them playing Heartbreak along with that awesome instrumental, Switch 625 and actually found one, but the quality wasn't great.

Here's a cracking™ opening for their Hysteria tour with the perfect song to do so... Stagefright from Pyromania :rockon:

YouTube - Def leppard - Stagefright

And the kickass opener for that album...

YouTube - Def Leppard - "Rock! Rock! Till You Drop" Music video

Then came Hysteria. I'll resist from posting the lame "do you take sugar? one lump or two" sticky and sweet song.. or even other cheesetastic videos like Rock Of Ages or Too Late For Love.

YouTube - 11 Def Leppard - Animal
YouTube - Def Leppard-Rocket

Adrenalize! And the song here may not be all that great but this video pwns. Perhaps my fav video of theirs...

YouTube - Def Leppard - Let's Get Rocked

Then came the ultimate stalker song on the soundtrack to Last Action Hero...

YouTube - Def Leppard - Two Steps Behind

In hindsight, isn't 2 steps behind too close for a stalker? :wink:

In the midst of all that, grunge practically destroyed them! After one album of experimentation and a few oddly grungy songs in Slang, they came back with a bang in 1999 with Euphoria!

YouTube - Def Leppard-Promises

I still love that album! Fun 80s sounding material with some 90s flavored songs as well, like Paper Sun and Day After Day. And let's not forget the kickass Satriani-esque instrumental, Disintegrate!

Since then, they've had one somewhat poppy album X, a covers album Yeah! and another new one, Songs From The Sparkle Lounge this year. But I lost track of them after Euphoria. Although I do have "Yeah!"

Anyway, let's celebrate the hard rockin', cheesy, yet awesome Def Leppard! :love:

Next up: He came into the scene with a BANG! But he's been in the news for all the wrong reasons.

One of the wacky things about Def Leppard is that even with one arm, the drummer was still able to beat his wife. Only in Rock and Roll.

Let's get hysterical!

Def Leppard was my favorite band from circa 1987 to circa 1989.

don't get me wrong BonoManiac, I understand how they intend to remove said sugar but I mean really, wouldn't like syrup or chocolate sauce be better? Sugar is like sand only it sticks - it should not go certain places if you ask me :shrug:

I think it has something to do with the peaches and cream he mentions later. Also, I believe it's safe to assume that the heat being generated is melting the sugar to a liquid form.

Also key - later in the song he asks, "Do you take sugar? Oh, you do. Excellent. One lump or two?" Such a question would not work with chocolate sauce or syrup.

You, sir, are clearly an unromantic cracker honky.

Don't knock it till you try it, elevated_u2_fan.

:ohmy:

:flirt:

I'd have to say they were one of my favorites, but earlier in their career, like the early 80s. Saw them open for Billy Squier, and then they turned around and headlined arenas, and I had front row for that with my Marilyn Monroe shirt, like the one Joe wore. I "hearted" Joe. Long story short... I had an 8x10 photo I wanted signed. The hotel didn't like me loitering across the street so they let me up to the rooftop pool, Joe signed my picture (he was pissed that they let me up), and Phil said hello & asked if I was coming to the show. And then I left. I don't know anything they did late 80s-today. I know they did a Kinks cover, which I think I heard :scratch:

I think it has something to do with the peaches and cream he mentions later. Also, I believe it's safe to assume that the heat being generated is melting the sugar to a liquid form.

Also key - later in the song he asks, "Do you take sugar? Oh, you do. Excellent. One lump or two?" Such a question would not work with chocolate sauce or syrup.

You, sir, are clearly and unromantic cracker honky.

:love:

Last edited:

all good points

Just be happy you've actually seen a Stanley Cup in the past 25 years.

:sad:

Is it as wonderful as they say? Even upside down, I bet it is. :scream:

:hug:

One of the wacky things about Def Leppard is that even with one arm, the drummer was still able to beat his wife. Only in Rock and Roll.

While that is absolutely horrible that he beat his wife, I commend him for contributing to such an explosive rhythm section with only one arm! Amazing!

:laugh:

I don't know anything they did late 80s-today.

Lila, watch those post Hysteria videos I posted. :yippie:

I'd have to say they were one of my favorites, but earlier in their career, like the early 80s. Saw them open for Billy Squier, and then they turned around and headlined arenas, and I had front row for that with my Marilyn Monroe shirt, like the one Joe wore. I "hearted" Joe. Long story short... I had an 8x10 photo I wanted signed. The hotel didn't like me loitering across the street so they let me up to the rooftop pool, Joe signed my picture (he was pissed that they let me up), and Phil said hello & asked if I was coming to the show. And then I left. I don't know anything they did late 80s-today. I know they did a Kinks cover, which I think I heard

Is that the even that inspired him to sing, "I don't want your photograph"? Were you that annoying, Lila? And do you still have it?

I agree they were great, but how could that be with U2 arguably at their peak at that point? Did you get into them later?

Hahaha Beav is not really a U2 fan, buddy!

Btw, Gods Of War and more so, White Lightning belong in the severely underrated Leppard songs list. :drool::drool:

Uncool? Def Leppard? I think not, they have some terriffic tunes, just sound a little dated and very much of their time now...

Is that the even that inspired him to sing, "I don't want your photograph"? Were you that annoying, Lila? And do you still have it?

No, the song was out before I asked for his precious autograph. And yes, I think I have the picture buried in the closet somewhere. You want proof? You want PROOF? You can't handle the proof!

:wink:

Oh, and Zoots, those latter videos (songs) did nothing for me :shrug:
Give me some Rock Brigade! YouTube - Def Leppard - Rock Brigade

Back
Top Bottom